Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• There's an auto show in April?
  • EZ's report on his first impressions with 215 tires aligns with the experience of Consumer Reports engineers, who said the new Camry sedan 6cyl with 215 Continentals handled significantly better than the 4cyl version with 205 Potenzas, and said the tires were the reason. Potenzas have been complained about regarding wet traction, but not especially for dry traction.

When I posted this stuff on another board, several people didn't want to believe that 10mm of extra rubber could make a difference, but it looks like it can. I'll bet the Solara stops shorter with these too. Ez, tell us more when you have more time on the tires!
  • Can you get them with white walls?
  • Check out this link, which has lots of survey and user review info re. tires, FWIW. I like the reviews of the Dunlop Sport A2's.
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireM- odel=SP+Sport+A2
  • and they are 1/2 the price of replacing the Michelin Energy's that come OEM on some Solaras!
  • rward99rward99 Posts: 185
    I got to see the new Solara this morning. Very nice vehicle. I think someone said something about the SC430, or comparing it to that.... yeah, I would agree with that. They share many of the same lines. A very nice looking car.
  • vz18wpvz18wp Posts: 20
    Where did you see it? Give some details please.

Are there any pictures available for all of us to view???

Can't wait to get a look at it!

'99 Pearl White SE 69K and going strong...
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Posts: 932
    My family has a 1999 Black Sand SE V6 5-speed with more than 140,000 miles and going strong! Can't wait to see the new one!
  • According to this press release only the coupe will be introduced in NY and not the soft top. Maybe that will come in Detroit next January.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- - =20030331b

Hopefully I wrong and they will show both.
    WAIT!

Sequoiasaurus, you mean April 17th the Solara will be debuted! Phew...you had me scared for a minute.
  • Like the article says, it's the most American Toyota to date, they aren't kidding. Everything rattled, and the interior light would not go off.
    I saw it at the plant, and of course cameras aren't allowed. I didn't see the interior, but the exterior is extraordinary. The Lexus SC430 is the closest thing to it, but with only a single exhaust instead of dual. Go to the Lexus site and look at the SC430. Very sleek, and when the driver closed the passenger door it was a very nice solid sound.

It's very smooth and rounded, very sporty looking. The sides are a little weak, but still nice looking. Bumpers are integrated into the body.

The car was destined for Toyota Sales for promotional shots. This one was black, but I bet a deep red would be an outstanding color. I never cared much for the previous years' styling. This one is a very bold change. You will like it.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    Anyone know of a 2002 V6 5 speed for sale? Appear to be scarce at this time. D.C. to New York area.
  • The 2004 Solara is sounding better and better! I been planning on replacing my 1991 Camry (which I love very much) with an '04 Solara.

Thank goodness I live so close to NYC (I live in lower Southwestern Connecticut in Fairfield County) so that I can go and witness the new Solara in all it's beauty myself at the Jacob Javits center.

The only bad part is having to drive on the Cross Bronx Expressway and go over the George Washington Bridge (sans EZPass), not to mention driving in the heart of Manhattan (where the Javits Center is)! Oh well, can't have pleasure without some pain!

Only 2 weeks to go!
    If you can, will you be able to get some pictures for yourself (and us)?
    Funny, we have a '91 Camry too, and with barely 80,000 miles. My wife won't sell it. She's in love with it and seldom lets me drive it. It's been a great car. I told her about seeing the new '04 Solara and quote "I don't care what it looks like. I'm keeping my Camry".

The '91 was the last year design, a real classic. I have heard many positive things about that year. If you sell yours make sure you get a good price.
  • 1992 is when the new Camry debuted with the notorious sludge engine. 1997 is when Camry decontented, again, and quality suffered. Your wife will probably have that car 15 more years at the rate shes driving it! Thing probably has the original battery, the way they used to build 'em!
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    Please let's not bring up the sludge monster. I just don't see why Toyota would've dropped the quality of their product after 1991, especially when the company was gaining popularity for making quality reliable cars. I remember reading about the 1993 generation Camry, which even the Toyota engineers said that it was too good of a car for the price. Yes, they did decontent the Camry back in 1997, but they made up for it with the current generation.

Thanks for the info about the 2004 Solara! I can't wait to see pics of it.
  • The styling of the 2004 Solara has been described as similar to the 2003 Lexus SC430.

Is it also suggested the dimensions will change?

Per the Edmunds comparison section:

The 2003 Solara has an overall length and wheel base of 191.5 and 105.1 inches, respectively. It seats 5 with rear leg room of 35.2 inches and 13.8 cubic feet of luggage space.

The 2003 Lexus SC430 has an overall length and wheel base of 177.8 and 103.1 inches, respectively. It seats 4 with rear leg room of 27.1 inches and 8.8 cubic feet of luggage space.

We apparently will know much more later this month.
  • One poster suggested it looks like the SC430, if you squint. I wonder if thats like last call in bar/nightclub lighting, after a few drinks???;0)
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Posts: 191
    I have owned 2nd generation (1988), 3rd generation (1995), and 4th generation (2001) Camrys (OK, the 2001 is a Solara). The 3rd generation Camry (92-96) was my favorite. Nice styling and quality materials in the interior. Mechanically, all generations of Camry are so good it's tough to make distinctions. In 1997 I could definitely see the decontenting.
  • pbcpbc Posts: 44
    Question for you Canadians or Northern American Solara owners. I'm going to have to replace my tires by the end of the summer (now have 75000 km on them).

Looking for a tire with better handling than the current Michelins, but winter performance is a must as well!

Any opinions out there?

Thanks,

PBC
  • because of the limited tires that fit the OEM rims, many posters have upsized. Many reported that the used Dunlaps. IMO thy are probably as good as the Michelins, and 1/2 the price. Michelins have a tendancy to start out as good tires for the first few thousand miles and then lose almost all wet/snow grip. I am a fan of the "You have a lot riding on your tires" commercials, and try to not let cheapness be my weakness.
  • Purchased yesterday, Toyota Certified used 2000
    Solara, subject to inspection. Mechanic said "good mechanical condition". Body shop said it had extensive Bondo repairs. I checked 128-point inspection list and it does NOT cover body repairs. Maybe they need a 129-point inspection. Caveat emptor!
  • Thats too bad. Toyota is not know for their customer service, consistantly ranking at the bottom of the J.D. Power Awards, so good luck. The current Solara is a dent magnet, so perhaps thats all your bondo whoas.
  • tk865tk865 Posts: 52
    cover frame damage (even if it's been repaired), as well as damge that (and I'm not as certain here) exceeds 3 body panels... Everything I'm about to say assumes no frame damage. If there is frame damage, dump it quick! You said the contract was subject to your inspection... Did you get a "too good to be true" deal? If so, the dealer probably sold it cheap b/c the wanted to get rid of the "bondo car." If the agreed price was fitting for a perfect car, and you still like the car, try to work some more price out in light of the bondo. If the UCM missed it, the egg on his face will likely lead to a better price so he can move his mistake and not explain to the GM why the car came back. Terry in "Real-World Used Car Values" could probably tell you the right amount of price hit it should take. Just tell him where the bondo is, and how much of it there is. I've seen some people who are really picky about their cars have bondo'd repair work to fix shopping cart dings, hail damage, etc. See if based on location you can come up with a likely cause. If it's all in one place, a minor collision seems likely - especially a parking blunder (into a pole, etc). If it covers the car, top, sides, front, back.... Well.... Ex-wife and a baseball bat? Hail? Had rocks chucked at it? I guess what I'm saying in a long and windy way is that a car can have paint work and still be a great car, even worth certifying. A car with frame damage, or other serious collision damage, should not be certified. Has the window glass in the car been replaced?
  • maemarkmaemark Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 Ragtop, 22K mostly smiling miles.

I recently asked the local Toyota shop about a full transmission service including replacing all ATF with a synthetic. The reply was, don't do it. I got some story about the fact that Toyota offered a "partial synthetic" in the 2003 model year, and that this led to burned clutches and malfunctioning valve bodies.

I really believe in Synthetic lubes, and cannot believe that there is no acceptable replacement for the Dextron II/III used as OEM.

Anyone (Cliffy?) have any advice on this? I only want to drive this rig about another 150K miles, so I thought the Synthetic ATF was the way to go.
  • Relax, it's a Toyota! If all you want is 150k more out of your car, you should be able to put generic tranny fluid in her! Remember the car's mechanical components are engineered to last, and I believe the trannies come outa' Japan, already built. Maybe the car sales guy in the forum can verify it.

Anyone think that Toyota's brand of tranny fluid is acceptable. My baby just got 45k tranny service for $100.95 American, and it only seemed to take about 2 minutes after oil change, and a defective $60 lamp clamp fixed. Jiffy lube would have charged $45.00. Considering I don't do any of the work myself, did I get my huevoes yanked? $82.00 hour labor?

Has anyone heard of a story coming out of Milwaukee, WI, that Toyota Motor Corp., put a computer virus into a diagnostic program, to currupt various Toyota/Lexus computers, to get back at anyone that called Toyota, Torrance, CA, to complain about the sludge problem of yester-year?