Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• loucopitsloucopits Posts: 103
    I was looking at a large ad from a Cincinnati Toyota dealer and noticed a little 2 beside the Solara picture. Down in the very fine print it says that there is a $1,000 rebate from Toyota on the 2002 Solara delivered from stock by April 30. I have not seen this in any other ads and wonder if anyone else has picked up on it. One local dealer offered $500 under invoice (the $500 was probably the rebate at that time) but his invoice included over $300 advertising fee!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    In the past week, I saw (on TV, I think) that there is 0% financing or a rebate ($1,000?) on the Solaras.

My gf's new Solara had a $325 ad fee on the invoice.

This is in the Phila area. Mid-Atlantic region?
  • webguysterwebguyster Posts: 434
    If you are paying cash, or qualify for 0 percent, then under invoice is somewhat reasonable if it is the true invoice price of the car. If you have a trade, beware of traditonal pricing games, and interest rates changing the more you add to the car, ie., gap insurance, extended warranty, prep work, ad fees, etc. That can quickly add up, and you are then not getting the greatest deal. IMO most people have been there, but if you like the car, sign away, and good luck! I am sure by now, most bugs have been worked out. But, remember, I belive that the new 2003 model is being redesigned. You might be able to get a better deal on dealers remaining stock, if you time it right, and the new design rolls in with a few older ones on the lot.
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    what the new Solara will look like. It'll probably sport a taller roofline like the Echo/Corolla/Camry, and be based on the new Camry platform. I hope it'll be as stylish as the current generation.
    I hope it doesn't start to look like the Avalon!?! That seems to be the direction the Camry's, and Corollas are going! I hope they don't Toyotaize it! I think the face-lift was a bad choice, with the ugly rear lights, and cheaper plastic grill, eech! I hope they take a hint from Saturn, and make the doors more dent resistant. I hope the paint chips less everywhere else, too. I hope Toyota goes back to making cars the way they used to, low maintenance, at least for what your spending on a car. I could have bought 2 Honda Civics, for the price of my Solara, and had 1/2 the worries!?!
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    The 02 Camry SE has one, as does the ES300
  • jia1jia1 Posts: 7
    This board is not like what it used to be, I just passed by as a previous 99 SLE owner owner, two year ago, everyone seemed happy with his/her Solara, I could even hardly see any problems reported, I am really surprised by such a dramatic change in only 2 years.
  • luphyluphy Posts: 31
    I don't know about other people, but I still love my Solara. Almost 2 years now, and no problems yet. Still smooth and quiet like new. The last few posts seem to be critizing the latest changes to the Solara, specifically the exterior. Otherwise, I have not noticed any increase in complaints about the car.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Posts: 852
    ..............5-speed. A tight coupe with a flair for really unusually decent fuel efficiency. Last month - at 30k - I included the air filter in the maint schedule (per the book). My last three tankfuls have been 27.5, 27.5, and 26.4..........

Only prob to date has been the drivers side window control failed and was replaced in Placerville by the dealer under warrantee. ez
    everyone was bragging about their car, and raving about it, some getting TRD kits. Now it seems, everyone is either too busy driving their cars, or too busy fixing them!?! :)

30K, and already a drivers side window control failure??? Minor problem, but there is something to be said about "Planned Obsolescence"!!! At 3 years, 36K, that would be several hundred $$$'s out of your pocket. IMO, money pit. It looked good in the beginning, but the the amount the Solara cost, for me, versus 2 years later, and the current resale value, and the various minor problems, not worth it. I believe I could have done better with a Chevy or a Dodge!?! Wait a minute, I had a Chevy and a Dodge. Chevy, no complaints, just too many trouble free miles, before moving on the Dodge. Dodge, too many days in the dealers shop for repairs, for minor issues, and parts delays.

My 2 cents about this car, it that it looks nice, and the interior has a higher quality feel than the competition, but it is not what Toyota quality used to be.
  • automophileautomophile Posts: 780
    This board was full of happy NEW Solara owners a couple of years ago when the cars were new to the market. Everyone was happy with this great car. Check out any other board for a newly released car - it will be very similar.

NOW, there are many thousands more of the Solaras out on the road, they are no longer rare and new. So, the board is like most others - a sounding board for those with problems. Considering that there must be several times as many Solaras on the road now as compared to 2 years ago, there sure aren't very many problems reported. This is still a GREAT car, a GREAT quiet drive, and a GREAT value with VERY few problems. Enjoy!
  • jraysjrays Posts: 20
    Automophile: I agree with you that most people are satisfied with their Solaras and that's why this board is not as active. Has anyone else noticed that the same few people go on endlessly about picking the car apart for every little (perceived) problem. Get a grip! If you aren't satisfied with the car then get rid of it. The rest of us are happy with our Solaras. I've had mine for 2 years with ZERO problems. If one does come up, I'll be sure and get it repaired, under warranty, and then keep on enjoying the car. Don't get me wrong. We all want to hear about problems with the car, but some of the complaints are so minor that they are almost laughable. It's a machine and all machines will have problems and need repairs and/or adjustments, sooner or later.

I'm sure when the Solara is close to a redesign, this board will once again become very active with excited new owners.

There's probably a lot of other lurkers, like me, that check this board every day. I may not leave a post very often, but I am still here.
    Even Edmunds says it is pricey. Dollar for dollar, the Acura, any Acura, seems to me, to be a better value. Not too many whiney Acura people on the sites. The car looks GREAT, but IMO, quality is lacking, for the price. If this car were, say...$5-10,000 less, then I would give it an "11" on a scale of 1-10, but it's not.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    The price? The things go for under $20k.

What would you pay for the same sized, similarly-equipped Acura?
  • I'd have to pay $3K, perhaps as much as $5K depending on the deal, more than I paid for my 02 SLE to get a base Acura CL. What extra do I get? A flip reverse rear view mirror on the right side. A micron air filter. 60 extra hpwr under the hood. For 3 grand? Acura is a better...what now??

Ezshift, I am interested in tires too. I note the following from CU tests:

the new camry 4 cyl has potenza 205's, and stops from 60 mph in 149 feet.

the new camry 6 cyl "handles much better than the 4 cyl" with it's 215 Continentals, and stops in 128 feet. It gets 20 mpg average.

The Solara SLE with the potenza 205's stops in 140 feet. It gets 22 mpg.

These data aren't exactly apples to apples, but it looks like the Solara would do better with good 215's, maybe more so with 225's, but mileage
    would cost you.

One more item. Did anyone try a K&N drop-in air filter in their Solara? Did it do anything for pedal responsiveness or mileage?
    You are lucky if you got a Solara for under $20,000. I have the 2000, SE V6, option #4, add keyless remote and alarm. MSRP, $25,000ish, Premium Wheels, JBL stereo, plus a few dealer add on's, cargo net and the like, tax, etc, and I have a $31,000 car. They were more expensive when they first came out, and the new Solara models have LESS STANDARD features, and lack "Premium Features", so maybe the NEW MODELS are under $20,000, bare bones. My point, is I do not have a bottom of the line, but a 00, top of the line, 00 SE V6(remember the features are different now), only lacking leather, moonroof, dimming mirror, and electronic climate control, things I do not care for. IMHO, I could purchase an equally priced vehicle of better value and/or quality, plus I would not have the potential sludge issue to worry about.
  • bjrichbjrich Posts: 125
    We pick up our new 2002 Sle v6 Monday nite. Black with two tone taupe interior, leather, tail fin, moon roof and it is a really good looking car. we traded in a 97 cl Acura, a car we loved because it drove so well, but the new Solara really out drives it. Hard to believe it drives better than the CL. I believe it is pretty well loaded as it listed for close to $27,000 and we paid $24,000 minus $10,000 for the Cl. and we are happy! Anxious to get it home.This is my first time on this forum but will keep reading and writing as time goes on.Bob
  • canccanc Posts: 715
    Congratulations on your new car! I'm sure you'll really like it. It's a real pleasure to drive, and the superb sound system is a real treat whenever there's a great song on the radio.

The car is very well equipped and extremely well built. It's no wonder they compare it to a Lexus.

Anyway, have fun driving, and keep posting your comments.
    Congrats' on your Solara, and may you not have the ongoing trim, finish, and mechanical issues I have had. Good Luck! Mine started out as 'The BEST car I have ever owned!" Now...Hyundai's are startin' to look good!?! :^)

Anyone know how to get the piezo chirper to start working again. Mine stopped! Techs stumped. Almost prefer it this way, but it is not supposed to be this way!?!