Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

I've been waiting for this Discovery makeover since last year when I put off buying an SUV. Now that Land Rover's site has (finally) posted some engineering specs, I'm looking forward to a test drive. 300 hp, seating for 7, a hidden spare, and more cargo space are just what the old Disco II needed. Does anyone know when the LR3 will make it into showrooms? How about price? Any idea how many will ship to the U.S. this fall? Are dealers taking orders yet?

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I recommend you repost your message in Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II or 2005 Discovery (in the Future Vehicles area).

tidester, host
  • reichowjrreichowjr Posts: 86
    I found this link of pictures of a prototype at a Land Rover dealer in NC.
    http://trucks.about.com/library/photo/bl_landrover_lr3_1.htm
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,817
    Until it actually hits the showrooms, lets stick to the Future Vehicles board linked above. Thanks,

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I spoke to my local dealer who indicated they have a LR3 arriving on the 15th for viewing and test drives.

I assume based on this info other dealers around the country should soon be getting ones in stock for demo's if they have not already.
  • ypshanypshan Posts: 103
    I've seen two at my local dealer last Wed. Couldn't test drive one yet. They say the will have demo for test drive by mid next week.
  • yogidocyogidoc Posts: 16
    Looking forward to test driving HSE and SE models next thurs. Owned a 97 and 2000 Discovery, now drive a Lincoln Aviator which is boring, and far from an off road vehicle.( wrong suv for a single guy in his 40's)
    Does anyone have any insights about the ride quality 18" vs. 19"( HSE) wheels, handling in snow and ability to absorb road bumps???
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    The latest issue of Motor Trend has an article about the LR3. Sounded like the editors there really liked it.
    Yogidoc,

You've got a lot of experience with Land Rover. Can you comment on their quality. I went to a Lexus dealership the other day to check out the GX470 and he showed me a JD Power ranking of all makes and Land Rover was last in one year and second last in another.

How easy was it for you to get service and get parts?

A body shop also told me that it's next to impossible to get body parts for Land Rovers. The longest record for a car in his shop was not a Rolls-Royce but a Land Rover (for almost A YEAR).

Despite all that, I still like the truck and may buy one. It sure would be nice to know more about what I am getting into.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    We'll be moving this topic to the SUVs board next week, where steve & tidester will be your hosts. If you're subscribed to this discussion, nothing will change for you, and you will still be able to find it using the make/model search feature.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• emolsemols Posts: 15
    ok- dead battery due to lights being left on- my bad. But does not explain the stalling out and the recent heavy gas smell upon starting up- I am so bummed because the service dept. is telling me they are still learning about this model and they cannot give me a specific answer on the stalling issue- and btw the tank was almost completely full both times it stalled. I had a 2001 discovery and never had a single service issue for three years. I thought our problems sounded similar but I think my must be electical- did you ever notice a heavy gas smell before your tank was replaced??
  • craniocranio Posts: 4
    I drove this truck yesterday at my local landrover dealer. I really wasn't all that interested in the LR3 I went there to test drive an RR. I drove both vehicles back to back and all I can say is that the LR3 is amazing. It handles well and feels great. It's a no brainer unless you want to pay the extra 15K or so for the RR snob appeal the LR feels much nicer than the RR. I never post messages but felt I had to in this case
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I think parts should be easier to get since it does share platforms with the Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer and Lincoln Aviator. But the LR3 does have more differences from the Explorer than do the Mountaineer/Aviator
  • davidc1davidc1 Posts: 168
    What makes you think LR3 shares platforms with Explorer? Where did you hear this?
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    No, the LR3 does NOT share the platform with the Explorer. Stop spreading misinformation. It's entirely unique, and will be the foundation to numerous new Land Rover vehicles... including the Range Sport.

I test drove the LR3 SE last week. I was quite impressed. It's extremely heavy, but it hides it very well. It's built like a tank, inside and out. "Real" sales start beginning of November; the two cars at the dealer weren't for sale... only demo.
    I dropped by the dealer today and was told that it won't be unveiled till the event tomorrow night. I signed up for it. I wonder how many months before, if ever, we'll be able to buy at or lower than MSRP.
    It's brand new, so expect MSRP to be the norm for a while. Dealers for this class of vehicle don't generally gouge above MSRP on normal production vehicles; if they do, go to another dealer. I wouldn't expect lower than MSRP anytime soon, though... unless it really sells poorly. (Maybe only for Ford employees/partners.)

It's expensive, gets 14/18 MPG EPA, weighs more than anything in class, and has to deal with the poor history of Land Rover reliability... so there is a pretty good chance it won't have mass appeal and discounts/incentives may exist within 6 months.
    Discount starts as soon as there is more inventory in stock than they like to have at the dealership.

Since Land Rover raised the price by 10K, they moved into a different segment competing with Lexus, VW, Porsche, Cadillac, Lincoln, etc. Lot's of existing choices and fewer potential buyers (than the say Jeep segment). I wouldn't be surprised if discounts are offered much sooner than 6 months.
  • I drove the LR3 on Saturday. It has the set-up of the Range Rover without all the wood trim and super plush leather. I was impressed with the drive - the V8, the fit and finish, etc. They really did do a good job.

The sales lady told me that she is selling them before they can come in. I was told they would sell it at MSRP for as long as possible. I am hoping that many people will take a pass because the LR3 is squarely in the range of the Lexus GX470, Cadillac Escalade, Land Cruiser, etc. They have to sell at MSRP for as long as possible to recoup the $1 billion investment in the new platform. the new platform will spawn several new Land Rover products for years to come.

This is sad, but I am hoping that they cannot overcome the past issues with build quality and resale value so I can pick one up for less than MSRP in 6 months.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Sort of agree with both sides..but...someone keeps mentioning the GX470. Try and get one below msrp in the northeast....better yet, try and find one. And it has been on the market for what, 18 months? Granted, it has a different appeal than LR has (it is WAY too soft for me...imho).
    The big question will be whether or not there is a leasing incentive placed on the LR3. For the past few years, LR created a lot of showroom traffic with their $399 SE lease, a price point that will not be obtainable with the increased pricing on the new vehicle.
    There is a LR dealer in my town...I have to admit, lately I have been feeling like a stalker driving through the place hoping to spot "the new one"!
    Huh? I am NJ and they'll give you $3K off MSRP on GX as soon as you walk in. I heard folks getting $5K off at some aggressive dealers. I am waiting for the '05 GX with stronger engine, new gen. Nav, etc.. to compare with LR3. I think it will be a tough decision. So I'll probably end up deferring it to my wife. :-)
  • Yeah, Jersey is not so. Ct. Basically 2 medium size dealers service the entire county. Good gig if you can get it ;)
    You should cross the GW and checkout some dealers in Bergen county. The dealers on Route 17 in particular are very aggressive.
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Posts: 111
    My wife and I are planning on getting a new vehicle in the next few months (currently own a 02 explorer). She especially loves the Land Rover Defender 90's but since they are not available here in the states she's settling for the LR3 instead. I am pretty concerned about their history with reliability and resale. Are there some members here that would be willing to post both pro's and con's for each issue?

We are also seriously considering the Volvo XC90 V8.
  • ubrsfubrsf Posts: 51
    I test drove one Last Friday.

Pros: it is beautiful inside and out, the ride is quiet, you get plenty of space, the handling is good.
    Cons: Poor gas mileage, the front windshield has lots of thin lines running vertically to prevent frosting, I think this is rather annoying, the 300HP engine is a bit sluggish as compared to an X5, but then again the X5 4.4 is a bit lighter.

Conclusion: I am still deciding
    I didn't notice thin lines running vertically in the windshield on the loaded SE I drove. I'll have to look more closely. Maybe it's due to the optional Cold Climate Package's heated windshield?

I wouldn't personally compare the X5 4.4 to the LR3, as X5 has almost no utility/space. The forthcoming Range Sport will be the X5 competitor.
    GX470 is surprising close to LR3.

With the KDSS suspension option, it is similarly capable off road. Feature by feature, it matches the LR3. It has a backup camera and tire pressure monitor which LR3 doesn't. Better acceleration with the 05 engine. Lexus quality. Costs less if LR3 is to be sold at MSRP and Lexus only increase the price moderately for 05.

LR3 is on top in the areas of:
    - heated rear seats
    - better 3rd row seats design (i.e. fold flat)
    - tail gate instead of a rear door that swing sideways

Tough choices for me since my logical side says get the GX470 but my emotional side says LR3 since we have a lot of GX470's in our town. Well that may be a temporary advantage for LR3 since there should be more of them on the road a year or two from now....
    Land Rover's Terrain Response is far more advanced, but I doubt that will matter to a huge portion of the SUV buying public.

The 3rd Row is not only a better design in the LR3... it can seat 2 decent sized adults instead of 2-3 kids. The additional cabin room and cargo space is a big deal to me.

Land Rover did a great job; a vehicle that is honestly competitive. If it was 5K cheaper, it would almost be a steal. :)

The '05 GX isn't out until late December, right? I didn't think the HP increase was even confirmed. I wonder if it'll still be 15/18 EPA MPG if it has "better acceleration."

I'm personally not a huge fan of the Lexus "look and feel" that everyone just adores... but I'm an odd bird.
    I am with you on the exterior of Lexus. I do think the Lexus interior feels better.

Terrain Response is no doubt more advanced. However, KDSS equipped GX could be similarly as capable when driven by experienced people.

If the Lexus has the same 4Runner engine that has been confirmed, it will have 270HP pushing 4740lb. LR3 would be 300HP pushing 5426-5796lb.

Lexus: 17.56 lb per HP
    LR3: 18.09 - 19.32 lb per HP

Plus the Lexus engine has higher torque number, it appears that better acceleration is a reasonable guess if the new engine is there.

If LR3 was 5K cheaper, I wouldn't have to make a hard choice at all. It'd be my hands down winner.
  • Read an article a while ago in the Automotive News that stated the LR3 was supposed to come to the US market...seriously.... $5k cheaper, but unfavorable exchange rates caused the price to increase to what it is being introduced at....