Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• marczmarcz Posts: 17
    I just came across your post #3248 and am wondering whether your solution would work in my 2005 SE. The car has all factory options (but of course not the Logic 7 system found on the HSE). If it will work, could you explain what is required to connect the phone to the AUX input? I currently have a Nokia phone with Cingular service. Thanks for your help.
  • cunryacunrya Posts: 1
    Sand??? Well I can not comment specifically on sand driving but as far as off-road in general this vehicle is absolutely amazing. I picked up a new 06 on January 18th, test drove Tues drove straight back up with the Stroker and trailer wednesday afternoon and told em to load the gray one with 4 miles on it. No need to clean it up either as it was headed offroad ASAP. Trailered it home and went straight to my trails (literally no pavement involved) to see exactly what I'd gotten. I was amazed at how well this thing will perform in mud, slop, rocks, hillclimbs, and suspension punishing articulations, not to mention the 2.5 ft waiding depths it achieves with no leakage (hey it just screamed I wana go swimmin). As for sand none around here but get those soccer mom tires off of it and it would be almost unstopable (even with the wranglers on there was so little wheel slipage it almost left me yearning for a way to turn the traction systems totally off) No buyers remorse here whatsoever, and so glad I didn't end up with another Landcruiser (love them but this is absolutely no comparison) Dealer hooked me up with an X-Plan plus I had my $1000 rebate from Detroit Autoshow. Under 56K out the door with an HSE Loaded up with every possible goody including the rear locker. All I can say is go for it ou wont be disapointed.
  • Just a cable that plugs into the Treo700W and the other end to the AUX input. Thats it!

The Treo end is a 3/32 and the Aux plug is 1/8 from memory.

It is not difficult!

There are 3 pages of voice commands for the phone from making calls, pulling up contacts etc.

Look at http://www.palm.com/us/support/treo/treo700wverizon/
  • I own a 2005 LR3 and I'm having a devil of a time figuring out whether this is an issue or not.

When driving over rough road/terrain (e.g. cobblestone, rocks, etc) I hear a clunking in the steering column as if its loose or something. I believe I've had the SRS coupler assembly work done but problem is still there. I've heard this noise on loaner and other LR3s (more or less). Has anyone else experienced this issue and is it a problem? Help
  • I have felt the same thing on my 2005 LR3 HSE. It is a feeling as if something is loose. It feels like a clunking in either the steering or a suspension bushing. Happens when you go over a rough surface where one wheel is traveling over the surface and the other is not. I have and work on old British cars which if they had this clunking feel, I would say it needed new bushings somewhere.

I voiced my concern about this to my service department on three different occasions and each time they cannot find a problem. Last time I suggested they give me an LR3 as a loaner or we go out a test drive a new one to see if it makes the clunking noise or has the same feel. I have also noticed that my steering seems to have about 1" to 2" of free play in the steering before the power steering activates and starts to turn the wheels. Both items give me the impression that something is looser or not right up front. Will post any information that I get or if I get to drive another LR3 to compare, what it feels like. I don't remember the steering feeling this way when I got the vehicle in July, 2005. I currently have 7900 miles.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Hi folks, here is the wood dash that I had installed in my 2006 Land Rover LR3.

• Thanks for the reply lr3 magic. I thought was going nuts. Its odd that there aren't many complaints or discussions about this on the forum. Are we the only ones experiencing this issue?

The problem seems to be getting more noticeable as time goes on. By the way I have about 6500 miles and also bought my car in July 2005.
  • Mine has the same problem. Mine is a 2005 LR3. I have this HSE since Dec 2004 and have ~13000 miles on it. I only started to notice the problem since late 2005.
  • I am approaching 50k miles and brakes still squeaking like they have since 10k miles. At least they have not needed replacement yet....
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,114
    "Despite the Jeep's remarkably car-like driving dynamics (for a large, solid-axle box), the Land Rover has the overall advantage in term of on-road behavior. The steering is even lighter and sharper on the LR3, and the ride quality is higher (not surprising consider its IRS advantage)."

Jeep Commander versus Land Rover LR3 (Karl on Cars)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I've got 9500 miles on my 05 LR3 HSE and have yet to experience any problems or faults, however...on rough sections/roads/trails the front end sounds like it's gonna fall apart just anytime. Add the noises from the HDC and you'll want to run away from the Rover as fast as you can and buy a Toyota...Oops, my '03 Toyota 4x4 truck front end clunks and bangs as if it had gone a million miles too !!

Happy Rovering
  • The HDC noise is normal they all sound that bad and as long as you still have the green light and it does not turn to amber you are ok. If the amber HDC lights comes up that means you have overheated the system.
  • This noise appears without the HDC and is disconcerting. It's as if the steering column is loose and knocking around. If anyone out there has gotten an explanation on this, it would be very helpful. It seems to be prevalent enough that Land Rover could say whether its normal or not. Personally, I can't believe its normal.
  • Does anyone have any real world comparisons (meaning you've driven both or better, owned both?

I am looking at both these vehicles, and am having a difficult time deciding which better suits my needs.

One one hand, the Porsche carries with it less off-road capabilitiy than the LR, but I am only going to be taking it off-road a half-dozen times a year. (Camping, beach, etc)

On the Other, Porsche seems to have better throttle response and more pickup than the LR.

The LR seems to have about 50% more space for cargo, and have better visibility, and also seems a better buy for the money (a v-8 HSE is about equiv. to a Cayenne with the v6).

anyways, any input is greatly appreciated.

/Don
  • I have driven both, take several Cayennes in trade, and you can't compare them at all. The LR3 is a real utility vehicle with incredible offroad capability. The Cayenne is a sports car want to be with very tiny cargo space and some off road capability. The LR3 weighs almost 6000 lbs empty and the porsche weighs what 4800 lbs or so? Of course the Porsche is going to have more pick up.
  • Could you post a link to the LR wireless site? I couldn't find it anywhere, no matter how hard I google'd it..

Thanks!

/DA
  • I've got to agree with british rover on this one. If you want an suv that has sports car like pick up, than the Porsche is it. I've only been the passenger, but that thing took off like a bullet. But those same friends took it out with my wife and I to the desert in Borrego Springs, CA and it didn't fair that well. It got stuck in a couple of soft sand spots and had a hard time going up a few small hills(clearance and slippage). But to be fair, my wife and I weren't in the wifes LR3, we were driving a highly modified rockcrawler. But still, my wife and I both thought, based on our experience with off roading the LR3, that the Porsche shouldn't have had any problems with the terrain we were driving in. But luckily it's weight made it easy for us to winch out with the little Suzuki Samurai. The Porsche is a very nice vehicle though if you limit it's off roading to trips to the ski slope parking lot and dirt overflow lots.
  • Ok, just out of curiosity, where could you rent one? I would love to do this for an extended test drive...

Thanks!

/DA
  • Look here: http://www.wireless4landrover.com/index.html

From the website, it (aparently) looks like only the Nokia 6230 can dock in the cradle. Don't buy one from this site though - the prices are exhorbitant.. you can get a new 6230 unlocked off of ebay for less than half what they are aksing on that site.

/DA
  • sfmsfm Posts: 8
    Checking in to leave happy news:

When I returned from my longer-than-expected-weekend-in-VT-while-waiting-for-my-replacement-tire-to-be-s- hipped-from-OHIO :mad: trip, I brought the LR3 in for service to have the suspension compressor replaced by the new model part. Note to "29 days"...I accomplished this by calling Land Rover NA in New Jersey and escalating to the VP of customer service...this got my part on a priority ship list to my dealer and earmarked for me. I encourage you to use a "polite squeaky wheel" method for these remediation issues. It works.

About 1000 miles of metro/suburban NY driving later--no suspension faults. I'll keep you posted but I'm feeling good about it.

As for the full-sized spare...now my gas mileage is even worse ;) The sensor read 40mph to go on the Merritt Parkway in Greenwich the other day...by the time I got to the Westchester Airport (where I figured there'd be gas at the car rental return) I was at 0. Poor me! It was almost 10 miles up to Exit 3 on 684 to gas and I ALMOST made it. Luckily, roadside assistance was sweet and not-at-all condescending as they dispatched my rescuer and 5 gal of gas :blush: . I'm posting in public so that no one can blackmail me on this to my husband. (I won't tell him if you won't!. Yeah! Roadside assistance! I may be an idiot, but I'm an upscale, Land-Rover-driving idiot!) :)
  • I suppose an honest question to myself would be "How often am I really going off-roading?" and "What do I see as the more bang for my buck factor?"

I think you get more options for your money for the LR3, but frankly the posts I've read here are starting to scare me away (Air suspension, front end looseness, steering wheel issues, etc) I know every car has it's ups and downs.. but the air suspension issue a lot of people are posting sounds like a scary one.

Another issue that came up when I was talking with my wife is the selection of colours... the LR3 has only 2 interior selections... and 8 paint colours? Cayenne's got 11 exterior, and 9 interior choices.. not a big deal, but I want a brown leather interior with silver exterior - silver and Beige don't quite sit well with me (IMO).

In either case, it's a hard decision for sure.. and I appreciate everyone's responses very much.

Thanks to all,

Don
  • Your off-road question is no doubt the most pertinent. Many of the additional features you get with the LR3 are off-road enhancement features. As for reliability, my wife's LR3 now has about 30k miles on it and has 3 problems, 2 were electrical in nature(I know, electrical problems and LR are nothing new), neither of which left her stranded. Beyond that the vehicle has been outstanding. But still, that Porsche had eye-popping pick-up and slightly better on-road manner's than the LR3, both of which aren't bad for suv's by any stretch of the imagination. For me, a simple folk that drives a Ford F-350 as his daily driver, both the Porsche and the LR3 seem about equal in the confussing button, knob, and interior gadgetry department. So in summary, you're right, tough call.
  • I purchased a 2005 HSE7 white w/tan interior (currently 4,500 miles)

Go with the car the fits your lifestyle and gives you that "mmmmmmmmm" feeling when you see and drive it. We currently still have are 99 Disco II 133,000 miles. Land Rovers give me that "mmmmmmm" feeling plus with three kids under 7 years old, we camp, we explore the Sierras, or any dirt road in the west. If my LR3 has issues it goes in the shop,"under warranty", and I deal with it! ;)
  • I will probably go offroading about 5-6 times a year, and even that would be only light off-roading (provincial parks, etc.)

Other than that, I've only got the Canadian winters and screwy road conditions to deal with...

My wife and I have got a really hard decision ahead of us.. One of the other factors is that the LR3 is a (relatively) new body and platform, while porsche is doing a new redesign for 2007... I don't really want to get into one now, and have it look dated within a year..
    LR has an appeal because they don't overtly change body and platform styles all that much over time, so even if you have an older model, it is difficult to distinguish from a new one (for non-experts, of course.. :) )

Does anyone have an estimate or idea of what the sales numbers are for a LR3 and Cayenne in the North American market?

/DA
  • You can go to the www.ford.com and look under investor information; then look for sales numbers links. I have no idea about Porsche...I think they are a private company :surprise:
  • They are private so no idea at all. I am sure that Land Rover Sells probably a little more LR3's then Porsche sells cheyenes but the car has been out long enough now that you see many more of the porsches.
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    In the U.S., LR3 sold 1369 units. Range Rover Sport sold 1400. Porsche Cayenne sold 1028.