Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• gwellandgwelland Posts: 23
    Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for the LR3? I'm at 33,000 and warranty is running out fast.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    My 2006 LR3 HSE has been performing wonderfully. I have almost 4,700 miles and 7 months of ownership. No tire wear that I can see; tires look like they are wearing perfectly even.

My city gas mileage is about 11.4 mpg no matter how I drive. I have gotten as much as 18-19 on the highway.

Occasionally, I will get a tone beep from the dash, when I look at the read-out, there is nothing there telling me why. I know it will beep if I leave the turning signal indicator on too long (waiting at long lights) and if the temperature hits below freezing. Any other time it beeps, there is usually a message to let me know why.

These "stray" beeps usually happen when I'm stopped at a light waiting for it to turn green (no turning signal on). Unless I'm missing something, I don't know what it is for.

I'm very happy with my Land Rover, it rides so much better than the 2002 Mercedes ML500 that it replaced.

I wish the LR3 had automatic pull in mirrors and window controls switches that will allow for "all up or all down" like the drivers window switch. Also, a weather band radio station (like the ML) would be nice.

Roving right along... mark156 :)
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    You aren't talking about the warning "beep" sound the ultrasonic parking sensors (PDC) use to warn you, are you? Stray frequencies can affect them... large trucks, motorcycles, etc. are commonly causes. Just how it is... If you are talking about a "warning bong", then that's just strange.

The LR3 does have electric mirrors in other markets (but not "automatic"). I wouldn't mind having that, but they barely fold in... so they aren't that useful.

2007 LR3/RRS will get a one-touch passenger window. (Unless plans change.) Sorry, rears stay the same.
    Hello Grommet, I'm not talking about the parking sensors. I know how they work as I had them on the ML.

Just while sitting in traffic (not moving), I will get a stray tone beep from the dash. I really can't figure it out. My passengers look at me thinking I should know what it is for but I don't.

I'll live with it for several months to see if it works itself out. If not, I'll take it back to the dealer to see what they say. It's not a major problem, just a quirk.

The air conditioning works great in 114 temps... very pleased.

Mark156 :D
  • adaraadara Posts: 5
    If you have a bag on the passenger seat this could ocassionaly trigger the seatbelt sensor and bong. By the time you look at the dash the message dissapears...
    I never put a bag on the passenger seat.... and when I hear the "ding"... I look immediately to the dash.

If that's the only problem I have with this vehicle, I'm not worried about it. If it happens for the next 6 months, then I'll tell the dealer about it.

Very early on, I had the suspension fault light come on then when I restarted the vehicle it disappeared. Also, I had the "check engine" light come on a couple of times. I made sure that I tightened the gas cap with several clicks and I have not seen those warnings in a long time.

Happily driving my LR3. Mark :D
  • icebergsicebergs Posts: 3
    Does anyone have experience with the safari roof rack? What is the mileage penalty? (not much, 2 mpg?)

Thanks
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I have driven with one on the roof for a maybe 15-20 miles but not long enough to test the mpg penalty. The wind noise is minimal though very impressive.
  • haha my wife already thinks I'm a jerk for having a car that I need to talk to. If she hears me talk like that I'll never hear the end of it!
    I have a couple of other tips too.

Talk towards the drivers side door glass. I know that sounds counter intuitive but several people have reported that actually works better then talking towards the mic.

Try and change the voice settings on the nav it self. Try the UK english setting or the female setting and see if that works better.

I have had several people find that they computer better understands them when on the "wrong" gender selection.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,690
    if you get a questioning look about the 'beep', just tell them that's the 'passenger ejection confirmation beep'. ;)
    Explorer.... very funny, I will use that! :P

Mark :)
    Thanks.

Are you the same britishRover that is on rangerovers.net?
    we will soon be a mixed family, a Range Rover and and LR3. :shades:
  • Hey all

Somewhere in the manual are instructions for programming the 3rd remote button to activate the air suspension to lower/raise the vehicle.

This seems pretty useful to me... to let the dog in if I forgot to lower the vehicle when I parked... or simply to be the coolest guy in the grocery store parking lot.

What's the deal with the instructions. Something about turning your hazards on first... If I get into my car to turn the hazards on I may as well press the lowering lever. Any ideas?

L8R (get it? like LR3 but ah never mind)
    Yup you must turn the hazards on or you cannot use the remote air suspension feature. I know it is stupid but the remote is just supposed to be used for helping to hook up a trailer by your self.

Got to have those safety lights on in case someone crawled under the car while you were not looking and then were crushed by the vehicle. :confuse:
  • While that makes sense it's not very much fun.

So my other play options are headlights and panic alarm. Not very sexy at all.

Thanks for the info. The explanation makes sense.
    It would be great if there was a fourth button on the remote to turn on the hazard lights. Too bad they did not think of that.
  • Aren't there any programmers on this forum who can hack the LR3 so we can make the vehicle bounce on demand?
  • gwellandgwelland Posts: 23
    I have the Expedition Roof Rack - is that what you meant?

My V8 HSE averages 15 mpg with smooth and not excessively fast driving. I've never seen an MPG higher than this on my vehicle.

Wind noise is ok with the moon roof closed but it's very noticable compared to a non-roof rack LR3 if you open this at any type of speed. I can't cruise with the moon roof open as the noise is excessive. At low speeds it's fine.

I have a shovel and high lift jack fixed to mine (accessories had to be fabricated since LR don't seem to have anything beyond the loops). The aerodynamics of the roof rack meant that there was no difference in mpg or noise when these were added. I can also vouch for the robustness of the rack too as I've reversed out through a garage opening when the vehice lifted and the garage frame broke and not the roof rack when I hit it! (not recommended btw - land rover vs. garage is won by LR3 pretty comprehensively)
    Yes! Thank you!
    I was hoping the shape was as functional as it looks. Sounds like you have yours outfitted like mine will be.

And, I will avoid tearing the garage off my house.

Thanks
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Hi

Does anyone experience a low pitched noise with the AC on? Its not normal - on my LR3 you hear of course the air coming through the vents but there is a second sound of a noise that doesnt seem right. Have there been noise issues with LR3 air conditioning compressors?
  • lrdriverlrdriver Posts: 6
    TSV,

I have been involved with LR for a number of years now and have experienced my shares of up and from time to time, downs with Land Rover vehicles. Your first question about gas milage, I have an 05 LR3 and I am actually very satisfied with the gas milage despite the vehicles weight. For the amount of room and comfort you get along with durability I think you would be hard pressed to find a better suv. Regarding maintenance. I can tell you that yes, I have had problems with my LR3. I had some alignment problems, squeaks, rattles, etc... What I can tell you is that LR took excellent care of me and fixed everything and were relentless in their pursuit of the problems. I recommend that you buy our LR3 from a LR Center you know and trust. I can not say enough about LR quality of after sales service.

Good Luck
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Another thing to state here is that LR has gone into R&D on burning cleaner and adding more efficient engines - there is a brochure online under About your LR. Its pretty interesting. I agree with the after sales service experience and I also like the fact that they have some charitable efforts going relating to the environment. FInally Finally i hear some friends complain about gas mileage on their Pilots, Four Runners, Lexus and Land Cruisers. If you are going to get 18.5 mpg on the highway might as well be in a land rover ...
  • macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    On my 99 Disco II I have a weather band that I can tune into by pressing the am band 3 times. I can not find that feature on my LR3. Does anyone know how to tune into the weather band with the LR3 or is this a relevant feature that we have lost?

I hope it still exists...I'm moving back to tornado alley for this fall season.
    I do not belive so sorry. If you have the sat radio option there are weather channels avaliable for free.
  • lushmojolushmojo Posts: 4
    My wife and I are in Boulder, Colorado and have owned to Discos ('01 Series II and an '04 SE7). We're buying an HSE LR3 on Monday. Recently, Land Rover sent us a coupon for money off of a purchase. We've misplaced it. Anyone have one that they're not using or know if LR might send us another one?
  • macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    Thanks for your reply, BR. I do ( I was told ) have the satellite option on my 06 but it doesn't seem to work up here in Alaska, along with most of the GPS funtions.

Curious, how do you access the satellite radio? Once I'm roving in the lower 48 again this fall I'll want to use it.
    Tap the AUX button twice. The first time brings up the AUX port in the back of the center console the second hit brings up SAT radio.
  • I figured out how to reliably run my blackberry 7900 through the LR3 V8 HSE.

1) My left quick button is programmed to toggle bluetooth on/off
    2) When I leave the car I disable bluetooth so there is a clean disconnection from the vehicle.
    3) When I enter the car, start vehicle, turn on bluetooth on blackberry then in options connect the LAND ROVER in the bluetooth settings.

A mild hassle but at least the vehicle doesn't get confused when I enter the vehicle. If I leave bluetooth on and allow the vehicle and phone to detect one another I can dial through the car but the speakerphone won't activate. Hope this is useful info.
    Thanks very much that does make sense as that a lot of times with blackberries the device hooks up fine the first time but then has issues later.