Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• I know that when the new 6.0 Powerstroke diesel came out for Ford you could not get the oil filter anywhere. Ford dealers were charging 50 plus dollars for a single filter. It was several months before the filters hit the aftermarket and the price dropped to like 15 or so dollars shop cost. We sold the filters for 20 something dollars.

I am sure the same thing happend with the LR3. I know the original filters for the AJV8 Jag motor have been avaliable on the aftermarket for a while but I am pretty sure the Jag filter is not the same as the filter used on the LR3.
  • I had a similar noise from my steering wheel. The dealer replaced the SRS Coupler Assembly and the noise is gone.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Koesler, you and Steve are a little ahead of me as I got my license in 1974. I used to change my oil myself years ago but it's too much of a hassle.

One thing I don't understand....why would you change synthetic oil before it's time? If you like changing oil so often, why not just put regular oil in and save the cost of the synthetic. Seems like the synthetic oil is being wasted here.

Here in California, the gas nozzles are made where over-flow gas will be drained back in the under ground tank so that it's not spilled on the ground. The meter still runs for gas that you have put back to be re-sold. Just because you have done things for 38 years one way, doesn't mean it's right. :P

Mark :D
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,018
    Hmmm, I may have to ask around for some neighbors who use synthetic and change every 3,000 miles. I could change their oil and recycle it into my rides.

The other problem when you don't change it yourself is knowing what oil the dealer or lube place actually put in. Most dealers buy bulk oil by the 55 gallon barrel and many of them reportedly use 10W30 for every vehicle, no matter what the manufacturer recommends. Enough people may be on to that issue now though.

Guess I should post the oil wars links for those wanting some weekend reading:

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Synthetic motor oil

Steve, Host
  • I have an LR3 and the exact problem! It was also in the shop for 2 weeks and after we picked it up it died 100 yards away from the dealer. They said it was all set and rebooted the computer and we took it. It has diied again and more recently LR3(Christine) refuses to start or turn over, has been towed twice to he dealer, the key fobs, stoopped working twicee and we could not get in the car, the sun roof would not close whin it got wet, the rear wiper stopped working, the seat belt came off in our hands, and more recently the up and down of the car stopped working as well as the front shocks. The dealer and land rover North america says the car is fine. I have not even had this car 1 year and I have had more problems than all my cars ever owned together!
    Oh I gorgot, it still dies and when it wants to on the highway, they said it was a faulty fuel pump, now I am told it is a faulty ground.
    Anyone else have these problems???
    This model should be recalled!!!!!

They definitely have a problem with this model and for some reason refuse to admit it, and all owners have to wait on hold for customer service to do nothing!
    :lemon:
  • Does anyone know if it's at all possible to retro fit the LR3 navigation system? I have an 05 HSE with a big hole where it should (or I'd like it to) be - though it has most of the other upgrades. Do LR use standard wiring looms & if so could the wiring for it already be there? I've asked LR but the response isn't consistent, I'd really rather not have to fit a 3rd party solution unless it fits in seemlessly.
  • The reason I change my synthetic oil at 3750 miles in my Toyota Tacoma 4x4 is because my 1990 Toyota 4x4 Truck, which had it's oil & filter changed every 3000 miles with Castrol 10W-40, was so full of sludge at 150,000 miles that the engine had 0 psi oil pressure. It cost me $1000 to have the engine stripped down and all the sludge cleaned out. So now I'm using synthetic on the new truck and I change every 3750 miles. I will pull the oilpan at 100K to see what is happening inside.

I use regular 5W-30 Castrol in the LR3, again with a 3750 mile change interval. Oil is cheap...comparatively speaking...
  • HSE LR3's are supposed to be standard with Navigation so you either have an SE model or you need to go talk to your dealership and see what is up.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,018
    The late '90's Siennas are prone to sludge/gel too. Toyota really stuck their foot in it when they initially blamed owners for the problem.

You don't have to wait to pull the pan though to see how your oil and engine are doing; you can get your oil analyzed for around ten bucks.

Steve, Host
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    And, ignoring that, you really can't retrofit a factory Navigation system into a non-Navigation vehicle. There is a reason it's a factory option. It's not supported and (as with most attempts like this) would be cost prohibitive in numerous ways.
  • Ah - not such good news then. The car is an HSE, but it's in the middle east. Apart from the Navigation, heated seats & wind screen (somewhat superfluous here) and logic 7, it has pretty much everything else. I've spoken to the dealer in Bahrain who's checking into it for me, but I had a nasty feeling it wouldn't be possible. There are other 'factory options' (much simpler things like the roof rails for example) that can be retro fitted, so I thought at a long shot it may be possible for the Navigation too. I'll wait and see what the dealer says, and if it is possible will probably choke on the quoted price (but take solace filling it up at 24c / ltr.)
  • Thanks, Steve...of course Toyota dealer rep. said "We never heard of this sludge problem, it must be your fault"...then I showed him a print-out of all the known Toyota sludge problem postings including TSB's, but of course I still had to pay for the "sludge removal" myself.
  • mpzmpz Posts: 1
    has anyone gotten aftermarket tinting of the front side windows and/or a tint strip across the top of the windshield? I realize state laws differ, but any recommendations of tinters in the NYC or CT areas would be most welcome. Also, has anyone found roller shades that are big enough to cover most of the second row side windows?
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Koesler, I'm not sure I would have bought another Toyota. What causes sludge anyway?

Both of my Mercedes are on synthetic and they get changed about every 10,000 miles. The 'on-board-computer' monitors the oil and tells me when it needs to go in for service.

I don't keep cars for 100,000 miles so I guess I will never know if they will have a sludge build up or not.

Mark :surprise:
  • I am considering taking the lr3 plunge after test driving and renting. Can anyone tell me the brand or model of the nav system and what software it runs ( I assume it's Navteq- anyone know the version no.?). Thanks
  • I have a HSE with Nav standard.
    To be honest its a tame system thats not state of the art.
    Many of its capabilities you cant use when moving, the voice commands are poorly designed, very few LR sales or tech people understand the system so all in all its CRAP! (Sorry did I say that out loud!)

Im replacing mine with a new Alpine unit that is high definition touch screen with traffic alerts.
  • Thanks- does anything in the manual or on the discs say what brand it is?
  • It is a Denso NAV so similar to what Jaguar uses.
  • Its Denso DVD based.
    Take a look at Alpine or Pioneer. The alpine unit has a great hookup for the IPOD which allows full contril via the display screen
    The LR has to go via the aux jack in the back and control is still via the IPOD.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_3151_192089333,00.html

There are plenty of audio speciality shops offering great installs with back-up camera etc.
  • Thanks! I'll check out the Alpine- does it have any off-road capability? I was interested that the LR3 stock system advertises at least a way point and track back capability and topo maps. Has anyone tried this on a Rover system?