Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• I cross the wilds of Maine & Quebec regulary and it the LR is hopeless!
    Even on gravel roads consider the Delorme I mention below!
    It will show heights, rivers, full topography etc!

Both Alpine & Pioneer will show your trace or trail.

If you do a fair amount of off roading you really need to consider topographic mapping and I'd look at Delorme. You can add this to a laptop & they have both bluetooth & usb gps receivers for cheapo bucks!

http://www.delorme.com/software.htm
  • I really appreciate the help. I've used a hand -held Garmin III Plus loaded with Map Source topos and it's worked OK but it's hard to read the display on its small B&W screen. I was hoping for some real improvement with a 7" touchscreen. Guess I'll check out these other units. Thanks
  • Which Alpine model will you use? - I've seen pictures of a few after market installs that people have placed into the area where the LR nav system is meant to go, but they don't tend to look that tidy. If you find something that fits in there reasonably neatly I'd like to know. Is your intention to rip out the LR system you have? Is it really that crap?....and here's me wondering if it's possible to install it or not.
  • I have seen an LR3 at my dealer which had an aftermarket install of a 7" monitor in the regular space LR uses. The install looked sweet- as good as the OEM job. I believe the Alpine monitor was the TME-M770 which you can see linked at the site JohnMajor linked to above.
  • Looks good. But I'm not sure that I'll be able to find Middle East (where I live) mapping software to run on the NVE-N099P that would seem to work best with it. Searching the internet for Middle East mapping software hasn't brought me much more than what's offered by Garmin - though I presume there must be others out there.
  • No idea, but Alpine is a global company and sells systems in Europe, and most of the mapping is acquired from 3rd party map companies like Navtek and DeLorme and Garmin anyway- so they may have something. Maybe if the demand has not been sufficient to support the R&D they won't have cities and roads down with brands of gas stations, etc. like they might where demand is higher in higher populated countries. Good Luck
  • tzotzo Posts: 95
    I have use the Off-road setting of the stock LR3 NAV system while offroad on US Forest Service roads in the California Sierra mountain ranges. I was pleasantly surprised to find the forest roads on the off-road map. Not always correct, but neither are the USFS paper maps themselves.

Not alot of detail on the offroad maps, but between the paper version, the GPS coordinates and the NAV MAP, you can get around OK in the US it seems.

I would love a far more extensive mapping dataset though.. I will look into Delorme.
  • bmk007bmk007 Posts: 27
    I have had a new LR3 for a little over 2 weeks now. I love it so far. It is my first Land Rover.

I am having an "issue" with the heated front seats feature. Although the indicator lights are off, it seems like the front seats are constantly "heated". Has anyone encountered anything like this thus far?

Thanks.
  • sohna99sohna99 Posts: 50
    Hello bmk007,

I got my 1st LR3 a couple weeks ago as well. It is 2006 LR3 V6 SE with 3rd seat. I liked the vehicle alot. Mine didn't have a climate package so i don't know. Didn't you ask the dealer or check your owners manual? Did you buy or lease? Hey, were you able to use that certificate?
  • When you say it still feels "heated", do you mean that the seat feels the same temp. as it does when, say the low setting is selected, or it just feels warm to the touch?
  • chintchint Posts: 30
    Hey Sohna99 ,

How much did you pay for the truck?
    My dealer in Birmingham called me today that there is a rebate of $3000 for 2005 models . With the rebate , the price of truck with Premium Package and Rear seat package will be around 40K .

I am sure whether I want a 2006 or 2005 .
    Hi Sohna99-

I checked with the dealer and they gave me a service # to call.

I did a 24 month lease on a 2005 LR3 V6 SE. They gave me a hard time about the certificate, but they did end up taking $500 off the price. This lease will allow me to try it out and see if I really want to buy a LR. So far, I love it.

I'm glad you finally got your LR3...I hope you are enjoying it.
    This "heating" issue has been off and on. When it has happened, the heated seats were definitely "on" despite the light not being illuminated on the dash control. I've been driving around in 75+ degree days in Cleveland, OH, so it is very easy to tell when the "heat" on the seats comes on.
    I paid $45.9K out the door. I did not want to buy 2005 when they have 2006 available. For couple thousands more why not buy 2006? There is no rebate on 2006 at all. It is 2006 SE V6 premium package and 3rd seat package. Thje cost was $42+tax+dmv fees etc. They did not want to go lower from them. The dealer wants 4.5% profit on top of invoice. I don't know if I got a good deal or not what that's what I was wanting. This is one life to live so enjoy.

Hope you will get a good deal as well.
    I would suggest you to get 2006.
    sohna99 -

what color combo did you get on your '06?
    bmk007- Exterior is tonga green and interior is alpacia beige. What color combo you got?
    i got the Bonatti Grey exterior with Black interior.
  • My Patience is gone. I have had my $50k LR3 since November 2004. The first 10,000 miles were great with no problems. After that all hell broke loose with the fuel system. Started to stall when driving on the freeway, and after stops. Took it to the dealer and they said the computer needed to be updated. No fix, and back to the dealer. They then said that the "ball valve" in the tank was not working properly, and the engine was contantly flooding. They replaced the tank. Worked great for about two days, then back to the same ol' same ol'. Except now with a new twist. The fuel guage does not read properly, so twice I've run out of fuel with a reading of almost a half tank. Towed twice to the dealer and still no fix. They gave it back to me and said that they were expecting a recall on the tank, and that if the check engine light comes on again (it has been on ever since the first occurance and is on still today) that it would be ok. They also told me that I should not let it drop below a 1/4 tank of fuel because the gauge is still not working. You can imagine my confidence driving around in a vehicle that stalls when I try and enter traffic, may run out of gas at any time without notice, and may have a fuel tank that will start leaking at any time.

All in all, the vehicle has been in the shop for more than 70 days in the first 10 months of ownership. Still no fix in sight. Land Rover NA will not call me or talk to me about it. I am disgusted. If I ran my business like Land Rover NA, I would be out of business.

I have sought out legal advice on this matter, and precidence has been set to invoke the lemon law, in Oregon where I reside. I cannot trade this vehicle in on something different because of the problems, so I find myself forced to pursue the LL action. A class action is also an option if enough people are having the same issues.

Grumpy
  • chintchint Posts: 30
    What is the mileage ur getting in city/Freeway ? Is premium fuel recomended or required.I read in some reviews that V6 is under powered . How do you feel abt the power?.

Thanks
    I have less than 400 miles so far. Its hard to tell but I think, around 14-16 in city and around 20 on highway. To me it looks fine, its not under powered. Its an excellent vehicle. I have done test drive twice. This vehicle is very quiet as well. The more you do the research the harder to buy the vehicle. I have researched other vehicles, all have some kind of problems, e.g 2005 lr3 had fuel tank problem. That was the main reason I bought 2006. I read your post that you are getting for 40k, 3k rebate. Is 40k out the door?

Good luck.