Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    You should temper that reading with a review of other forums for any vehicle. Forums are heavy with issues and you can spot recurring issues. check out other car/suv forums and see the same frequency of horror stories. I dont think the forums are a good place to gauge likelihood rather to learn of pattern problems. people rarely write in and say "everything is great!" 97% of owners are probably not participating or contributing in forums (thats my guess)
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    I just went through the tire replacement process - to make a long story short, my dealer acknowledged that my '05 was in production range that had problems with rear alignment which caused uneven wear (I had 18k miles, but the noise got bad at about 10K). LR's program is a 1 for 1 deal, they pay for every one the owner does...but the kicker is that the tires have to be OE (i.e. the terrible Goodyear Wrangler HP's). So my dealer got $299 per tire (same tire is about $255 at Tirerack) - with balancing, taxes total was $750) for 2 tires! Let's just say LR has an unhappy customer right know - a letter to them is due.
    Another interesting note about the various rattling...I never had a problem until the past couple weeks, now I have a rattle coming from both the middle seat area and front passenger door (can't pinpoint the exact place of either rattle, but I'm trying). It takes the slightest bump in the road for both these areas to rattle - very annoying.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    Well, I found my rattle, and it was in the strengest place: the dome light/headliner.

If I hold the area right in front of the dome light up, then my rattles stop right away.

I just got mine back from the dealer, where they did some work, and now it's back to normal.

As for the doors, I had a loose cable behind the speakers. It was causing a rattle, as well as because it was touching the speaker, the speaker would buzz when low notes came through on the radio/cd.

That's all fixed now too, so my truck is back to 100% quiet.

/DA
  • Morocco,

If you haven't bought it already, go with your gut and get the LR3. The Expedition really isn't in the same class, and the X5 is so much more commonplace.

I've had my '06 V8 SE for a few months now, and haven't had any reliability issues. No tire noise, no rattling, etc. And I've driven it over 7,000 miles already.

JR
  • Had a couple of clients complete their 15,000 miles or 22,500 mile service recently and no issues with either one.
  • ehnjehnj Posts: 20
    I am negotating with a dealer to lease a LR3 V8 loaner/demo with 6000 miles. It is a 30 mo lease w/ 15k miles per year. I am concerned that the tire wear on the loaner is excessive, but the dealer doesn't want to put new tires on. I think I read somewhere on this forum that I should expect to change tires at about 20K miles. Given that the car already has 6k miles, and I am going to add another 37.5k, I am taking the risk of either having to replace the tires twice within my 30 mo lease period, or turn the vehicle in with little to no tread, in which case I assume I am getting dinged for it.

Is it a good assumption that tires will need to be replaced at 20k miles? other thoughts?
  • I took my '06 LR3 V8 HSE to Goodyear today, so THEY could check the tires. They did see evidence of 'scalloping', which is most likely causing my aggravating tire noise. They said basically the LR3 just eats these tires up, because of the weight and load demands, they are just not the best suited tire for this vehicle. So, I guess I will have to live with the noise, and get some Scorpion Zeros, or Synchrones, when they are spent.
  • Killerphish

:shades: Thank you for the advice, I am about 99% decided in favour of the LR3.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    My 06 SE V8 was new in April, and now has 5500 miles on it. There is no visible wear on any tire. If your loaner has what you consider excessive wear it was either driven very hard, or with low tire pressure, or it has an alignment issue.
  • That's an awesome story! We have a dealer with the rock course literally down the street and another 2 within a 30 minute drive.

Have you heard about the new custom mapping feature in the Land Rover navi system? It's all up on the Land Rover website but you can plot your points of interest and generate a picture of it, for example I could enter certain points in and have it resemble the washington monument........pretty cool, let me see a Jeep do that!
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    Is that a 2007 option? I'm a little pissed about the ton of new options on the 2007 as compared to my 1 1/2-month old 2006 I just picked up...

GPS security & recovery system
    Power electric lumbar, etc, etc, etc
    If I hear they put an ipod connector on it, it may just send me to the dealer to say WHASSUP?? Hopefully some of the things can be added later for those of us who have already taken the plunge.

I shoulda waited!!!

/DA
  • The electric lumbar is the only thing I knew for sure will be on 2007 MY LR3s.

Everything else is just speculation and I haven't seen any bulletins on it.

The lumbar support was on 2005 MY LR3s and was dropped on the 2006 MY cars for some reason.
  • Hi all,

This is my first time owning a car with Navigation so this might be a stupid question.

It seems that the audio navigation only come out of my left door speaker(seems logical). Allot of times when my wife is driving I would like to have it come through both front speakers but can't find a way to do it. Anyone know if this can be done?
  • Oh my bad – sorry if I didn’t make it clear – this is a feature on the land rover website. I guess its to promote their nav system – you have to be on the site though to do it. So – you definitely didn’t miss out on a feature on your 06 Rover!
  • British Rover,
    Here is what Ford has on their web site about the new LR3
    "For 2007, leather trim, a power sunroof, and a 240-watt harman/kardon ® nine-speaker sound system are all standard equipment. All V8 models are now equipped with three-row, seven-passenger seating. Aluminum-alloy wheels fitted to the V6 SE are a new design this year. A power lumbar adjuster has been added to the driver’s seat while the front passenger-side power window responds to one touch. Power seat adjusters operate when the ignition switch is in the off position. For lane-change convenience, a new three-flash position has been incorporated in the turn-signal switch. To supplement the time display in the radio, a clock has been added to the driver’s information center in the instrument cluster. "
  • lr34melr34me Posts: 1
    After doing a fair bit of homework - am about to begin looking for a lightly used (05/06) LR3 HSE. I know the mileage stinks and that reliability is a gamble - but I need something that will tow my boat and haul the family - not too many choices - this seems the best compromise. I will miss the X5 - but it has become too small. Some questions....

Is it possible for a reasonably agile adult to access the third row via folding down the middle seat in the second row? We have twins - so two car seats - which I would prefer to mount in the outer positions using the latches.

It appears that the LR3 can be imported to Canada from the US. I have gone this ay on other vehicles - better choice, better price. Has anyone done this with an LR3 - and if so - are any mods required (does not appear that to me that any are required). Also - will LR honor the warranty?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Land Rover
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Hi folks,

I just leased a 2007 LR3 HSE Tonga/Alpaca. The dealership is Land Rover Ottawa. Here are some details:
    a. Retail price $72,794.00 (canadian)
    b. $2500.00 rebate brings cost to $70,294.00
    c. Cold climate package is standard in Canada
    d. APR is 4.9%
    e. 39 MONTH LEASE WITH 75,000KM MONTHLY PAYMENT with tax $1131.20
    f. Residual value $40,373.20
    This includes rubber floor mats all three rows and cross bars for cargo rack. I am looking at adding the front and rear mud flaps and running boards. I have two young children and two teenagers figured they would be a good accessory to add.

Delivery 2 to 3 weeks the vehicle appears to be in Halifax.

Looking forward to it and will keep you posted. :shades:
  • Pretty good. I just picked up a 2006 HSE with Silver on black. I'd recommend the mud flaps - they keep your paint nice and stone-chip-free.

Heavy Duty model, with locking rear dif, and full-sized spare.
    Third row seats
    mud flaps
    seat covers
    wood trim (looks nice!)
    Dual DVD Screens in roof liner
    Towing pkg with electrics
    3M clear nose protectant covering

If you do a lot of highway driving, I'd recommend the 3M protective coating as well. I've taken quite a few stones off the nose, and this stuff really works to keep your pait intact.

Cheers!

/DA
  • Great advice!

A fair amount of my driving is highway. I am waiting for dealer to give me price on front and rear mud flaps and running boards. I have two small children and they are having a hard time getting in my wife's Escape.

The 3M clear nose protectant was that dealer installed or you got it done by a specialized shop??

Cheers!

RM
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I have in fact installed a camera to the DVD screen :)

-mike
  • The 3M coating was installed by the dealer, but you can get it installed just about anywhere you get a tint done - if you check eBay, they even have it as well if you're a DIYer..

It's a little pricey, as it hasn't been around long enough to have a decent amount of competition to drive the prices down, but in my case, I figured if I was spending this much on a leasing a truck, then I may as well do everything I can to protect it to keep the end-of-lease police off my back.
  • Can't speak to the importing mods that need to be done, but I can say for certain, that unless you are very small, then there is no way you are going to want to crawl in between two child seats to reach the third row.

Sorry, it's not a mini-van and I just don't see how it's possible. I'm fairly agile, and there's no way I could do it... (I'm 5'10", so not the largest of guys...)

If that's what you're looking for, I would suggest a new Tahoe or (gulp) Hummer H2 (although they only have 6-passenger seating) and put the child seats together.

The Tahoe has slightly higher tow rating (even better with the 4WD) and the H2 slightly lower towing.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,826
    Welcome back Mike (and congrats!).

How about posting some pics on your CarSpace page when you get a chance?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dandrews1

Thank you for the info. I will look into that. I was informed yesterday that my 2007 LR3 HSE has arrived. :) They are waiting for the running boards. I am picking it up 30 Nov in the morning. Can hardly wait. Based on your recommendations I asked the dealer to add the front and rear mud-flaps and the running boards.

Morocco2 :shades:
  • No problems...

I don't have the running boards myself, as I do want to offroad this baby (yes, I know - nobody offroads a lease, but what the heck - I'll do some mild stuff) so I thought the running boards may be an issue with that - as for the mud flaps, they come off with two quick-to-remove bolts, so I keep an old ratchet in the rear with the right socket on it to take em off whenever I need.

Congrats on the new truck! For my wife and I, it was like bringing home a new baby!

/DA
  • I have noticed a problem with my 2006 LR3. When cruising down the highway at 70 mph I notice that when i GENTLY accelerate to 75 the car has a noticeable (not violent) vibration from either the engine, transmission, or something, that lasts for a few seconds then goes away. It sort of feels like I am driving over ruts in the road. But if I push the accelerator down with authority as if to overtake someone there is no vibration. It only happens at speeds of around 60-70 mph. Otherwise the truck is a pure joy to own and drive.

Any clues as to what this may be? :confuse:

Thanks.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    I would guess Tires? Land rover will do a free alignment and I hear there is a Tech service bulletin requiring some % of tire replacement if there is a tire issue. I got the free/under warranty alignment based on my complaint and concern about tire wear.
  • hi
    when did you pick up your car new
    and how many miles on it
    i have lr3-v6 pick up in nov hope this is not a on going problem had car 1 day and open bonnet mesg came up had to replace switch
    joe