Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• kkonekkone Posts: 61
    I have a LR3 SE that how not had any major problems yet except for the fuel gauage does not work properly anymore and the low coolant light comes on during "System Check" even though the coolant is full. They said the the fix for the fuel gauage will come with the tanke repalcement. When I fill up the truck, it reads 3/4 and when I have about 3/4 left it reads closer to full. Go figure. Anyways, I drive using my odometer now so I do not run out of gas.

I recently drove a V6 LR3 loaner. It felt like the V6 had to work very hard to move the heavy truck. Passing on the freeway was a little harder. I have a V8 and love the low end tourque and smoothness. The V6 is not all that bad but not for me.
  • To (grumpylr3) Your problems echo ours . . . we thought we wrote your letter! We bought our '05 LR3 SE in December, 04 and have, so far, made six trips to the dealership. Initially stalled and drove dangerously on road. Stalling "fixed" on third visit but then have had runability problems caused by that fix ever since. After six trips car still stumbles and shifts poorly and we can not get the Check Engine light to go out. Dangerous handling has been reduced with the six visits, (a total of 6 in 9 months!!!!) six new tires, multiple alignments, including one where they told me they would put it "out of specification" so it would drive better. In August I was given a brand new '06 LR3 (34 miles) to drive while mine was in shop for 10 days, and it stalled like ours did initially! Guess they still haven't fixed problem!

After six trips,I applied for the Lemon Law, which was a bad move! That only upsets Land Rover - don't wake up the sleeping bear! They not only denied my claim but now won't allow us to dealership without zone rep, who must fly in once a month. All I want to do is get "Check Engine" light out so I can dump this thing, but I now have to wait for the Zone Rep!

A recent call from Land Rover claims the light is on because of poor gas in Oregon, so how is this vehicle supposed to go through deserts of Africa when it can't run on premium Chevron in Portland, Oregon? Now they say I need to add an additive to tank and switch to medium grade fuel every time I fill up. Does not make sense to pay $54,000 for a vehicle when I need to add something to fuel. Gas runs fine on my other vehicles!

So how do I dispose of this piece of trouble?
  • Grumplr3/orefrustrated,

So you've been given the poor gas story by LR of Portland too? I thought it was just me they were BS'ing. I've got a silver HSE5 with 18k on it now that is awaiting a new tank for recall and has had the power loss, poor start and constant check engine light for the last two months. (plus other electrical faults) The check engine light due to poor fuel seems a joke to me - the leaky tank problem sounds more credible to me. I ONLY use Chevron/Shell etc and I've still had the problem. My last service they cleaned the injectors and recommended adding cleaner occasionally. As I told the service folks it seems strange that a vehicle is so sensitive when its designed to be used in the wilds of africa on junk gas - heck, I used to have a Ferrari 355 F1GTS that never complained with Oregon gas in the years that I owned it and I figured that if any car would be sensitive it would be that one, NOT an LR3.

What's annoying to me is that even if I dumped the vehicle the only replacement I'd want would be another LR3! (or maybe RRS).

:lemon:
  • I was in love with the LR3. Had my wife and a couple of friends along and after about 30 minutes I was convinced that this was the car for me. But my wife, who was on the 2nd row seat told me that the ride from the 2nd, while good, was less comfy than the XC90 or the LX470.

We do a lot of long distance driving ( 1200 miles round trips ) and with a baby coming the wife would probably sit in the 2nd row seat quite a bit. Although she said that it was less comfy, it was not uncomfortable, and is not a show stopper.

To those here who have done long distance, and sat in the back, can I have your opinions please ?

Thanks
  • trm2trm2 Posts: 42
    The two big seating advantages of the LR3 are the wide 2d row and the sizeable 3rd row.

Your question, I believe is just wrt the 2d row. It is significantly wider and more comfortable than the 2d row of the XC90. For example, I have two car seats in my LR3 2d row and my wife or I sit there fine. Impossible in the XC90. The 3rd row of the XC90, incidentally, takes Olympic skill to enter.

I did not compare the LR3 2d row to the LX. Rather, I thought the GX was more comparable price-wise. The LR3 has a much bigger, more roomy 2d row than the GX (although, if your sense of comfort depends more from the softness of the leather than roominess, the GX has it).
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    FYI: The Land Rover USA site was finally updated with '06 LR3 V8 information a week or so ago. There are still a few errors, but it's still better than seeing the old '05 V8 info.
  • gw123gw123 Posts: 64
    Has anyone else experienced the problem of the Navigation system not having most "stores" in their area? We tried finding directions to Costco and Walgreen's, and the only ones that came up were from 40+ miles to over 300 miles away. There are many Costco's and Walgreens within a 15 miles radius. Took it to the dealer who replaced the DVD (same problem) and they checked it on a Land Rover on their lot - it had the same problem. Anyone know if LR is fixing this obvious flaw? My Lexus navigation has almost all local places in it's DVD.
  • pbroverpbrover Posts: 43
    I am searching for used 2005 LR3 Seven Seat with the Heavy Duty Option. In general when asked over the phone or by e-mail, non-Land Rover dealers are unable to tell me if the LR3 in question came with the Heavy Duty option (even some Land Rover dealerships). What can I tell them to look for so they can give me a quick answer? Help!
  • I think the full size spare only comes with the HD package. That would be a quick check. Good luck!
    To my knowledge, the map & location information the Denso sourced Navigation system uses is supplied by NAVTEQ. I guess you can only hope that the next updated version of the DVD disc is more complete for your area.
    Looking at the window sticker is pretty easy, too. :P
  • mrstacymrstacy Posts: 34
    My lights are remaining on during the daytime. Anyone else had this? Where is the sensor. I'm wondering did it get obstructed or damaged.

Thanks in advance.
  • mrstacymrstacy Posts: 34
    Would a used LR3 have a detailed sticker with all options? I'm not sure. The dealers are just being lazy.
  • The sensor for the headlights is on the backside of the rearview mirror mount. If you look at the mount through the windshield from the outside in, you'll see what looks like a small rectangular panel in the center of the mount approx. 2"x1". That's the sensor.
  • Last night i got out of my car to the chime of a transmission fault. Turned the car off and then back on again and it was fine. Got in the car this morning and when i turned it on i got HDC fault Suspension fault Brake fault and a transmission fault. The parking break automatically engaged and i couldn't go anywhere. I turned the car off and let it sit for a while. I then went back and turned it back on and all the faults were gone. However it still made some loud noises when i put it into gear. I drove it straight to the dealer they gave me a Ford Taurus as a loaner. I got a call later that day that everything was fixed and the car was ready to go. I picked it up and it seems to be getting better gas millage and everything is fine. Does this seem like just the beginning of some major problems or has anyone else run into this and had it fixed on the first try? :confuse:
  • pbroverpbrover Posts: 43
    Grommet, Most used LR3's dont have the original window sticker. :shades:
  • I have that Heavy Duty option package and it definetly has a full size alloy spare wheel as "saileast" mentioned.

I cant imagine a used dealer not having access to the original window sticker though!

Must be a lazy nitwit who cant take the time to check the glovebox!
  • iragoodiragood Posts: 12
    I placed another request to Land Rover regarding when we can expect Sirius radio to become an available option. The response back was that they are still working on having the Sirius radio as an option for the LR3. Unfortunately, they do not have information as to when it will be available. I was advised to continue to check with my retailer for updated information.

The new issue of Consumer Reports includes a comparison of the LR3 to other mid-size SUVs. While a noted improvement over the Discovery, they still claim that product reliability is still an issue. :cry:
    The story hasn't changed with my source... Unofficially still MY2007 for Sirius on LR3, with a slight chance of it appearing as an option in very late MY2006. It will not be retrofitable to existing vehicles; must be factory ordered. (Just like RRS/RR.) I guess for people that must have it "now", they can buy a Range Rover Sport. :confuse:
  • I have the stalling problem since I got the car. I live in New hampshire and it stalled in winter, spring and summer, so it has nothing to do with heat. The cars gas tanks have been recalled, but they do not have enough tanks to replace them all, and are trying to replace the dealers new inventory of quarantined calls first. So, basically the 72,000 people who bought defective LR3 with faulty gas tanks are stuck. No one in my family will drive this car, after 18,000 miles the dealer told my loaded $54,000 was only worth $25,000 as a trade, and if I waited a month till November, for about $15,000 I could get a left over with a fixed tank. Wow!!!!!

If I ran my business like this, I would have no customers! I have to go legal and a class action suit is deserved. This is happening all over and Land Rover North America is doing nothing. :lemon: