Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    Does anyone know, do some 2006 models have satellite radio and its just no initialized? If so , is there a way to enable this function? (Sort of like the old 99 Disco II's having heated seats installed but no switch to activate them)

I was told by my salesperson that I had satellite radio but now that I'm back from Alaska I clearly do not. Before I really lay into the dealership where I bought my LR3 I'm giving them a few days to respond to an e-mail I sent. I know someone earlier had posted a direct line to a LRNA rep...anyone have that e-mail address handy.

I also found out what was wrong with my fog lights, there was a short in my wiring for the front left fog light. Amazing what a difference in service taking your vehicle to a different dealer can make. I'm on 15,000 miles and that's been the only real glitch...(knock on wood)

Cheers,

MC

P.S. - if you read my post wisely you'll probably have a good chance at what dealership I bought my LR3 from.
  • If you have SAT radio then when you hit the AUX button a couple of times the SAT fuction will come up. If you don't have SAT radio then hitting AUX Over and over will only give you the AUX function in the radio head.

As far as I know there is no way to retrofit SAT radio into a LR3 that does not have it.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Interesting. I was told by my dealer that you could have sat radio installed post purchase. that it was around $1400. so i never followed up. So are we stuck with the aftermarket things that you stick on the windshield? (i leave it on the floor for now.)
  • I was also told that there was no factory sat radio available, and that it could only be installed post-purchase.

He even me one in the showroom that was waiting for customer pickup.. the thing was were the ashtray used to be.
  • You can have the little aftermarket XM or Sirius radio put in but you cannot have the factory style SAT radio installed where it works from the head unit.
    But there are factory installed units meaning its an option if your vehicle has it or you order one made with one in it. Thats correct right? you just cant go after the fact and have them put it in. Which raises another issue; why dont all parts/service people who work for LR at dealers know this stuff? How hard can it be to know everything about one vehicle and be good at it (or three vehicles).
  • Yeah late build 2006 MY LR3s had SAT radio as an option. I forget when they started making it avaliable as an option but I think it was around January or Feburary of 2006.
  • My 2006 V6 LR3 SE has the button on the radio for the bluetooth connection, but does not have the buttons on the wheel to answer the phone. When I push the Bluetooth button, a message comes up and says "no phone connected", but when I try to log in a phone, it doesn't connect. Is this button just for show? When I purchased my "new" LR3, the sticker was already off the window, so I do not know if it was supposed to come with this option in the first place...I am confused :confuse:

Keith
  • I mostly use the command shift to downshift when coming up to a stop, or to slow down in traffic.

I'm no expert, but I've always done this in any automatic vehicle I've owned.. I find it helps slow down the vehicle, and in my mind, I feel I'm saving the brakes for a little more longevity. Also, these Rover brakes seem to throw off a lot of dust, so downshifting to slow down may help keep oxidization down on the rims.
  • I've had my LR3 for almost a year and I have never used the "descend" feature... I'm glad that I've been doing it right using 2nd gear.

Just out of curiosity, do you use 2nd gear high or low range?

/DA
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Dandrews1, when going down my street (25% grade or so), I use 2nd gear high. If I put the tranny in 'low', I will let it shift normally and it creeps even in 4th gear without touching the brakes.

Mark156 :D
    I just reached 10,000 miles on my 06 LR3 SE7 and things have been great. I did have one alignment done at the 7500 mi check. And the speed sensitive auto wipers are noisy in light rainfall(i was told this is how it is and in S Cal thats what we have, fog like rain). Besides that the vehicle has been perfect. Its been everything I expected and a bit more.
  • I mostly use the command shift to downshift when coming up to a stop, or to slow down in traffic

I use it for the same reasons including to cut down on dust brake especially on the front wheels. I also like to use command shift if I want a more involved driving experience mostly on country roads a light city driving when traffic is low. :shades:
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I mostly use the command shift to downshift when coming up to a stop, or to slow down in traffic.

Of course, this technique will require extensive re-training for most of the driving public, who seem to be under the impression that firm pressure must be applied to one pedal or the other at all times (and sometimes both). :shades:
  • Of course, this technique will require extensive re-training for most of the driving public, who seem to be under the impression that firm pressure must be applied to one pedal or the other at all times (and sometimes both).

I agree - but even I do both when offroading (as I was taught that was the proper procedure when offroading automatic vehicles..)

;)

/DA
    (as I was taught that was the proper procedure when offroading automatic vehicles..)

Ah yes, true offroad driving is a whole different ballgame. Not so much specifically for automatic transmissions, but rather to get the most effective use from limited slip differentials (especially the worm geared type), that technique is generally referred to as BTM.......Brake Throttle Modulation.

Applying just enough brake to fool the diff into locking, while applying enough throttle to overcome the brakes and power the vehicle through. It's hard on the brakes and transmission, especially if you're late on the brakes when a wheel is spinning, but can be very effective.
    I really don't notice that much brake dust on my LR3. Now, my Mercedes does get a lot of brake dust as I clean my wheels almost everyday.

My friends DO make fun of me, but my wheels always look new and not pitted and scratched like other cars the same age.

One way to make your wheels shine, is to put a little bit of Black Magic Tire Wet on the alloy wheels and wipe off. It puts a nice shine on the wheels that will last until the next wash. Even "damp" cleaning to get the brake dust off leaves the wheels nice and shiny.

Mark :)
  • Another good trick to keep allow wheels shiny is to put a couple of good coats of wax on them. You will want to use one of high temp poloymer based waxes like Zanio or Zymol as a carnuba based wax doesn't have the high temp resistance you need on a wheel which is basicly a heat sink for your brakes.

Take the wheels off your car/truck and wax the whole thing. The wax will keep the brake dust and dirt from sticking to the wheel and you can wipe it off with a damp cloth.

Should last for a few months in normal conditions.
    BR, you think I'm going to take the wheels of my car? Ha ha haaaaaa!

Seriously, putting just a little bit of Tire Wet works great!

Actually, I did put wax on the LR3 when it was new (wheel wax at Autozone). I can't tell that it helped all that much to resist brake dust. Since I usually wipe my wheels down almost nightly, I never have much of a build-up anyway.

I wish I had the avenue to do "real" detailing.... I have no tools or the place to really do it.

Thanks for the suggestions! Mark156 :)
    Is anyone having a loud noise from the speed sensitive auto wipers? in fact they sound noisy whether on auto or not. Is this fixable? The dealer says no and I cant believe how bad they sound for otherwise a relatively perfect vehicle. Let me know what you know
    SSp1, my wipers just don't seem noisy. But, my hearing is about 90% (too much disco music in the 70's, I guess)

Mark156 :)
  • My LR3 wipers are really noisy too. :cry: I am thinking of trying some Rain-X or something on them.

I have heard from several places thought that LR3 simply has noisy windsheid wipers and that I gotta "live with it"... :(

Otherwise I agree the LR3 is as close to PERFECT as an SUV can get. It seems almost an insult to call it an "SUV."

Keith
    Well I hope they get enough complaints to modify how they work so the noise goes away by 2008 when i lease a new one
  • Since I got my 2007 LR3 HSE three weeks ago we got a lot of rain up here and nothing weird to report with the auto wipers. They actually work great and no noticeable noise except if the winshield gets dry. :shades:
  • I think it may have something to do with temperature.

I first got my LR3 in September, and things were fine, then it dropped below 10 degrees (celcius) and they started getting noisy.

anyone noticed their rear wiper not pressing hard enough against the window? I sometimes have to give it a 'shake' to gt it to re-seat properly. (by this I mean I lift it off the window to bend the arm at the joint, then let it snap back on the window..)
  • Actually the other day the temperature dipped down to -15 (celsius)with some light snow and I did not notice any change in performance. It seems to me, compare to other vehicles I have owned, that the heated windshield appears to help the performance of the front wiper blades under snowy and cold conditions. ;) My rear wiper seems fine so far even when the temperature dips down.
  • I just turned 20,000 miles on my 05 LR3 and have nothing to say except: WHAT A GREAT, WONDERFUL, AND PERFECT VEHICLE !!

I've had no problems except for a slight creaking noise when turning the steering wheel so the dealer replaced the "spiral casette" (whatever that is) and now it's smooth and quiet. My tires are showing even, normal wear although they are getting noisier. I've also had one instance where my front, right window would not close all the way until I lowered it, and closed it again (??).

I look forward to driving the LR3 much more than my other vehicles (Mercedes sedan, Toyota truck, and Mazda MX5 convertible) so each time I get to, it's just like Christmas all over again.

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays !
    .......so the dealer replaced the "spiral casette" (whatever that is).......

Also known as a 'clock spring' among other things, it enables the steering wheel electrical controls to maintain contact with the wiring in the column while the wheel is being turned.
  • My 2006 LR3 is one of four cars I own (besides my 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab, 2003 Pontiac Sunfire, and 1929 (replica) Mercedes SSK). I read the forums for all my cars and nowhere else but in the Land Rover forum do I pick up the absolute LOVE for a vehicle that Land Rover owners have for their cars...

The previous poster was right, just getting behind the wheel of the LR3 is a joy. This vehicle is a well thought out, tightly built, premium, go anywhere, quality machine.

I can't WAIT for it to snow!

Merry Christmas to you all and may we all keep in mind who's birthday we are celebrating...

Keith :)
  • So if I have a "telephone" button on my stereo system but do not have the telephone paddle switches on my steering wheel, do I have bluetooth?

Keith :confuse: