Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Homestarman..... The whole what??? what does that mean? I had the wood put on the front dash that includes the center, and both side where the air vents are.

This is not a pimp mobile! :P Where else would you put wood other than the dash? :confuse:

Mark156 :)
  • Should be that and window controls, the stereo thingies on the LR3. That's about it I guess, not much else :D

Homestarrrrrrrunner! :)
  • The LR3 is primarily a utility vehicle and a luxury vehicle second.

That is entirely too much wood.
  • just went to the California San Jose Auto Show Today, the LR3's plastic, i flicked it and... no noise! That must be some good plastic! Looks pretty good, after all, im typing on plastic boxes. :D
    Homer.. I've never seen wood on the window controls or the center face of the radio/air controls, etc. That would be WAY too much wood!

Actually, I agree with you, the plastic is not bad at all.

Mark :)
  • Heard some guy say at the auto show" The center console is where they got cheap" don't really believe that, But if the LR3 had a nicer looking interior like Lexus or Merc's, LR3's would be good enough to be a baby rangie, so guess LR had to forget about wood.
  • Hi everybody ;)

It has been almost two months since I took delivery of my 2007 LR3 HSE in Tonga Green with Alpaca interior. I have the 7 seater and added luggage rack crossbars, running board and mud flaps.

I have covered just over 5000kms and simply love this SUV. I really enjoy driving it in town but I find it is even more enjoyable to drive during longer trips.

Only two minor issues thus far and both being addressed by LR Ottawa. The first was some initial condensation in the front headlight assemblies and the second was the presence of vibration coming from the front passenger door assembly around the speakers. :surprise:

After some initial frustration with the voice recognition system seemingly caused by the systems difficulty to recognized my slight quebecois french accent, all is well. I knew I had to get french manuals to change the language setting when I had to fake a british accent to get the system to recognize my commands. :cry:

Looking forward to our upcoming trip to the off road driving school here in Montebello.

Overall I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the LR3. Solid as a rock but yet refined :shades:
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    Does anybody know if the CD player can play a CD that has .mp3 files or .wma files? (I am not talking about playing those files with a mp3 player plugged into the aux jack).
  • It can play MP3s.
    thanks for the reply British Rover. I'll try it.
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    Most enthusiast publications for LR include several ads for companies promising to improve performance and fuel economy by re-mapping the ECU. I don't have any interest in juicing up my '07 LR3 but improving MPG would be a good thing.

Has anyone on this list done this? Would you recommend it? Will it void the factory warranty?
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    pfolk, think about it. Land Rover would love to get higher numbers on that EPA sticker. The engineers are not clueless. The LR3 is also the heaviest vehicle in it's class. You really can't do much to that petrol engine.

Now, for other countries that offer turbo diesel engines on LR3/Disco 3... it's a little different. All sorts of interesting tweaking can be done. Yes, more power and often more economy is honestly possible -- generally thanks to turbo tweaking.

Anyway, if someone claims gains are possible on the petrol engine... it's probably a scam.
    I don't think LR's engineers were clueless, or that claims for chipping are a scam. I have read several articles from responsible auto journalists that present actual dynamometer test and usage data to support the claims. The explanation given for the factory set-up is that it is the best compromise of power, efficiency, and responsiveness for all the markets in which that vehicle is likely to be sold. The factory has to take into account the range of differences in grade and quality of petrol available, altitude, operating conditions, etc.

And, unfortunately, the factory boys and girls also have to contend with perceived consumer demand for a quicker 0-60 mph time in setting up a vehicle. That tends to skew the formula against fuel economy. I will be very happy when the auto press finds something other than bhp, 0-60 times, and oversized wheels to tout as essential "requirements".

Granted, better results will be obtained with a diesel, and my next LR is likely to be a diesel, but it looks like we have to wait awhile longer for one in the US. I am just looking for ways to get the most out of the many years ahead with my HSE L3, which has been a real pleasure to drive.
    So why wouldn't you switch the voice recognition profile to French and be happy? :P I thought that's what every Quebecois wanted; to be recognized as unique, and not just another Canadian. :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying your LR3.
  • We currently have about 750 miles on our new LR3, so I was amazed the other day when I noticed that the outer tread on the front tires was already worn to the point where there were no more sipes in the tread blocks. I had to do a quick back and forth between the front and rears, as I almost thought they were different versions of the same tire. Wow! I've had R-compound with 750 miles on the track/street with less visible wear than these Goodyears.

Obviously I will ask the dealer to check the alignment at the 1.5K inspection. We have done a few trips over the hill to the beach on winding roads, so I could expect some wear; but I purposely set the cold pressures to 35/40psi to prevent scrubbing and roll-over.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Its my understanding that the dealer must do an alignment (they will send it out) for you if you raise an issue with tire wear and ask if its the alignment or reference one of the Tech Service Bulletins. I have 12.8K miles on mine and have considerable wear on the outer part of the rear tires and much diff than the front tires (had a rotation at 7500 mi). I also heard there is another TSB out there regarding tire wear and Land Rover giving a credit for replacement tires. Does anyone know about that TSB? please respond if you do. I am checking with a Land rover indpendant service centre re the same.
    I'm curious: Why did you run at those pressures when the door sticker recommends 33 front/42 rear? It's usually best to keep the tires at recommended pressure for on-road use and deflate 5-10 psi max only when off-road.
    I have a 2006 LR3 HSE with 14,500 miles. I rotated the tires at 8,800 miles and mine are wearing evenly. My tread looks really deep as if I could go to 50,000 miles. I am getting some road noise in the tires but that's fine with me as long as I have normal wear. I will probably get new tires as it gets closer to 40,000 miles as I don't like to run tires to the end of their life.

bgsntth--- having noticeable tire wear at 750 miles is totally abnormal. Take it back to the dealer ASAP!

Roving and happy... Mark156 :)
    Barely 2 months into ownership and I have broken fog lamp from road debris. Oh well... Is there a factory or after-market cover available for the fogs? Since they are used only rarely, I'd like to protect against frequent lens replacements until I really do need them. LR USA website doesn't show such an accessory.
    pfolk, funny that you mention about a broken fog light... I don't have one myself and have noticed that I have NO rock chips either.

Britishrover... is the paint on Land Rovers thicker or better than Mercedes? My 2000 E430 sport has a few rock chips... my 2002 Mercedes ML500 (traded for LR3) had plenty of rock chips. My 2006 LR3 has NO rock chips after 14,500 miles. I hope I have not jinxed it!

Mark156 :)
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    I have a 2005 LR3 SE - my Goodyears started getting very noisy at about 10K miles, at about 18K they were to a point where they were way too loud. When I mentioned to my dealer that I had heard about LR replacing these tires, he reluctantly informed me that LR was replacing 1 for every 2; he also said there was a service bulletin to correct factory alignment/camber settings that were causing some uneven wear. I pushed for different tire makes/models (from what I heard on this forum), but LR's deal was Goodyears or nothing. Unfortunately they charged $300+ for each tire, so I was still stuck for almost $700 when it was all said and done.
    I wrote LRNA to push for full reimbursement; I received a form letter back saying that a rep would call...I have traded voicemails a couple times, but they are in no real hurry to get a hold of me. Obviously I'm not a happy LR customer. Good luck.
    I used adhesive backed headlite shields from www.griotsgarage.com for my fog lights and headlights. Be forewarned before looking at their catalog or website - it will get very expensive because you will see lots of other products you will want. The headlight shields are like a clear bra for your lights but is much thicker. I used the large sheet (part number 10228), cut myself, though I don't recall if it was big enough for both headlights and both fog lights or if I used some left over from another vehicle. They also sell pre cut kits (part number 10232). This is a very good company and offer excellent customer support. They have even replaced these covers for me when I had a problem installing one and ruined the piece. The fog light install is extremely easy. The headlight install is a little harder. It is best to heat the headlight a bit - I used a heat gun and warmed the covers too.
    mark156,
    My 2002 ML320 had a fair amount of rock chips in about 40K miles, but wasn't as bad as other people on the ML forum made it out to be. My LR3 has only 7K miles but no chips yet either.
    They are located low on the front bumper, so they are bound to get hit. I expected this to happen; just didn't think it would happen on the Interstate.... I haven't found anything yet on the parts websites specializing in Landrovers, so there may be no aftermarket product available.

I can't comment on the relative merits of MB v. LR paint, but I always keep a tube of that touchup paint handy. You will need it sooner or later.
  • Err not sure. Mercedes always had some of the best quality paint as far as color and lack of orange peel.

Not sure about chip resistance.
    A few weeks ago, I was on the interstate and BAM.. a rock hit the windshield just left of my center view. I just knew I was going to get a crack but there was nothing. I know I dodged a bullet that time.

I expect to get rock chips or something as I use my LR3 for hwy driving. I really thought I would have 'something' on the front but I can't find even a small blemish. I know, I know, tomorrow is a new day. :cry:

I use 100% cotton baby diapers to 'soft-wipe' my LR down if it's not in need of a true full wash. Recently, I drove to Las Vegas when I pulled up to the valet to check in, he said "your Land Rover is so clean"... I told I had just washed it yesterday. I said, when I keep it clean, I get 40 miles to the gallon.... he looked at me and we both laughed. I like it when folks admire my vehicle. :blush:

Happy Roving! Mark156 :)
  • My wife just recently got rid of her '05 LR3 because of on going problems with electrical bugs/faulting (and having to send it 250 miles to the nearest dealership each time it did fault). She replaced it with an '07 MB CLS550 (why she chose a car, I'll never know).

The paint on the LR3 still looked pretty much brand new when it was traded, even after 40k miles and hundreds of runs through the local car wash with drying by the same group of people. Even at an angle in direct sunlight the paint had no rock chips, very few micro scratches in the clearcoat, and no swirl marks. The MB on the other hand has only been washed a few times and those small scratches in the clearcoat are already everywhere. Even a 100% Polymide microfiber towel manages to leave those scratches in the clearcoat.

I'd have to say the LR paint is far superior to MB, regardless of how much MB sings the praise's of its new "nano-particle" paint.
  • I will have to start paying attention to the New MBs we get in trade now and see how the paint looks. We got a lot of new MBs in trade all the time so it won't take long to get a good sample. Just before the winter we took in two 06 CLS500s.
  • So are all those stories out there about this truck being a maintenance nightmare true? Are yours always in the shop for repair?
  • I picked my 2007 LR3 HSE on 30 Nov 06. I have clocked over 8000km with it since and went to the shop once for a very minor problem. The two headlight assemblies showed some condensation in the bottom portion and needed to be fixed. It was fixed in 1/2 a day. Other than that all is fine :shades: