Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    Quote: "I am pretty sure that I will go to one of the "big box' electronics retailers for mine. i am just concerned about how it will look."

Most dealers are installing non-OEM DVD systems in the LRs since the Land Rover one wasn't initially available... and yes, they normally charge about $3K. They've all looked fine. You can save money by going elsewhere, of course.

I have yet to see an OEM DVD kit in the LR3. If it's anything like the show car I saw and the pictures in the guide, it seems to mount lower and occupies a little more space than the 3rd party installs I've seen. I have no idea if there are any real advantages getting the OEM one, other than an easier install by the installer. There is no specific product information available.
  • Thanks grommet!

You seem to always have the answer.
  • teamkteamk Posts: 8
    My HSE should be coming in here in the SF Bay Area on Friday or Saturday this week -- hopefully it shows up.

Rode in my friend's car all day Saturday..excellent ride, very smooth, can't wait to get mine.

I've seen a couple of people saying they had to add the Electrical Package for Towing -- does anyone have more details on how this is done? Seems awfully strange not to have an electrical hookup right by the hitch mount like every other car produced.....

Will update when I get my HSE...
  • A fried of mine said that it has the same lug pattern as the Corvette. He then sent me pictures of several 20" and 22" wheels that would fit the LR3. You local custom wheel shop should already have the specs once you tell them you have an LR3.

Also, there is a site that specializes in customizing Range Rovers. I asked if they offered their wheels for the LR3. Right now, they are only offering their 22" wheels. BTW - they look really good and might be worth checking into. Email me for the site info as I am not sure I can post here without violating the forum rules.
  • ypshanypshan Posts: 103
    You should find out whether the OEM DVD system uses the MOST bus. If so, the signals are delivered to the Alpine head unit in digital format and then redistributed to the speakers using the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound decoder.

The MOST (digital) technology also would let you select your individual source from the individual output plugs and may even allow you to control the volume from the pads on the doors instead of having to reach for the DVD unit.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    Not actually thinking of doing this, but today, when discussing going with the SE over the HSE because lack of availability someone mentioned that you can get a fantastic aftermarket indash DVD and Nav system in the LR3.

I would think it is to new to have this info out, but thought i would ask the board to see if anyone has heard of or seen on yet.

Also my dealer will sell me a SE with every option of the HSE (obviously not the better radio). Can anyone think of anything wrong with that. They will put the larger wheels on the SE. Any other difference?????
  • Has anyone seen the WARN winch kit on the LR3 with the A-Frame protection bar? I orderd the A-Frame, Winch Kit, and Off Road lighting package today for my LR3. I have the accessories catalog but the only picutre is quite a close up and it doesn't really give it much "over-all" justice. The only other picture i can find on the net is that Orange G4 photo of the LR3 with all the G4 kit on it. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Christian
  • I traded in the MDX because it began to develop more problems than one would expect from a Honda product.I love Honda's and still own an Accord but I can give you a laundry list of issues with the MDX. In the interest of time and space let's just say it has its issues. The ride quality and interior materials are no where close to the LR3's. Anyone who claims otherwise is not being honest. I know. I drove the MDX for three plus years and I test drove the '04.Also, the interior decibels climb rapidly in the MDX above 60 mph. Acura has attempted to rectify the problem with thicker glass and more insulation in the newer model year but has only improved the problem somewhat. One just cannot compare the third row seat space in the Acura,Volvo or Lexus to the Lr3. For me that was a big issue since I have two little girls.

BTW the warranty on the LR3 is 4 yrs/48k miles during which all maintenance, except wear and tear items, is free. Acura's is 3 yrs and there is no free routine maintenance last I checked and it IS FAR FROM A TROUBLE FREE CAR. Please refer to the Acura forums at AcuraMDX.org. I once lived on the problems portion of that forum.

Finally, my dealership experience at Land Rover has been far better than Acura's. Futhermore, I am from the english-speaking - as we like to say, the British Caribbean. For us there are only two cars to take off road, Toyota or Land Rover.
    US HSE has 8-way power driver's seat with memory (vs. 6-way power without memory on SE) and memory side mirrors.

That, along with the more-powerful "Premium" stereo, bigger wheels and (optional) Adaptive Headlights are the only differences the HSE has over a "fully loaded" SE. Not too exciting, eh?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Thanks for the response. Sorry to hewar you had problems with your MDX. I would be interested in a brief list of them; post over on the MDX board if you have a minute.

I'll try test driving the LR3 this week to see if I discern a difference in highway noise. I must admit that after driving an Isuzu Trooper for 80,000 miles (and S2000 for 18,000 miles until this spring), my decible meter is probably broken. The MDX and GX470 certainly seemed quiet enough for me on the highway. I actually would have thought the larger, more aggressive treaded tires of the LR3 would havbe made it the noisier of the group.

I appreciate the 4 yr/48k mile warranty and free maintenance. However, it's essentially 4 years worth of free oil changes and routine service, which costs very little in an MDX. My friend with a Range Rover suggested asking what a complete brake job (disks and polish rotors) would cost on the LR3. The response I got fom the dealer was a timid "about $1,000". He's had three of these in 40,000 miles of driving his RR and they are NOT part of the free scheduled maintenance program of Land Rover. I guess that's the downside of buying a 6,000 lb vehicle and driving it as a commuter car 90% of the time.

My real dilemma is that, in order to justify $53k for the LR3, I need to be confident that we can keep the vehicle for 8-10 years and 100k+ miles without major problems or being taking to the cleaners by the "english speaking" Land Rover service department. Or that we can get out of it in 3-4 years before the warranty is up, without losing both arms and both legs. The latter is questionable, given Land Rover's history with other models. It is dead last in terms of resale value of any vehicle we have even remotely considered and is worse, in fact, than Isuzu. At least the XC90, which had some first year issues in 2003, maintained excellent resale and now appears to have it's bugs out.

So I'm left with the dilemma of flipping an 8-10 year coin on the LR3. I'm also being advised by my RR friend to wait for the 2006, when he is willing to bet me that (a) some unknown bugs will have surfaced and have been addressed and (b) the price will drop to $1,000 over invoice and (c) the HSE will be more readily available in any color combination you want and (d) the Bluetooth and Nav system will be tweaked to integrate better.

Good rational advice, but I'll probably let my emotions rule
  • teldocteldoc Posts: 49
    Habitat1, you sound like a perfect lease customer. Why buy the entire pizza when you're only hungrey for 3 slices?
    Quote: "It is dead last in terms of resale value of any vehicle we have even remotely considered and is worse, in fact, than Isuzu."

With the LR3 only being available for less than 60 days, I don't think you can say this. LR3 is not the old Discovery.

Quote: "The Bluetooth and Nav system will be tweaked to integrate better."

Doubtful. Land Rover tells me there are no plans anytime soon to make PTI/Bluetooth depend on the (optional) Navigation system touchscreen. It will continue to integrate with the radio head unit controls... which, unlike Navigation, is not optional. I guess the only people that will be happy are the people that want the much-delayed PTI without paying for Navigation. ;)
    Any first year production car will have more bugs. Some can be fix by warranty work some won't.

Resale value of LR3 could be better than the rest of the Land Rovers (we will see). However, to expect it to significantly jump ahead of other established brands is probably wishful. It didn't seem to happen often in the auto industry. And it's not likely to happen to LR3 due to the segment it's in with lots of competition and it's price point.
  • Habitat1, sorry, them rotors ain't polishable! I have yet to see any dealership in the last ten years who didn't claim that the light weight rotors used these days are not resurfacable and so, "regrettably, you need to buy 4 new rotors." If you push and ask for the exact specifications they are referring to, they can't or won't release them to you (I can read a micrometer better than a Service Writer).

I think that $1000 for a full brake job (new discs, new rotors, a new line or two, etc.) is below market. Our Volvo XC just cost us $1100. So, if your new LR3 doing commuter duty is going to have three brake jobs in 40K, you are on the hook for about $3600. That amount by the way is probably what you would save on a new one if you wait until after the first of the year and the Section 179 buyers and the "early adopters" (my father would have used a different term for this unappealing crew) have bought their units at full list price.

IMHO the only way around this is to be able to plan ahead, order, and stock a complete set of aftermarket rotors and pads to be brought to an independent when the brakes begin to go. Kind of like buying 10 cases of Red Line ATF to get the free freight from CA. (OK, I'll admit it, I'm compulsive about maintenance and a sucker for "free freight with a stock order".)
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Just curious how many customers are shocked to see a 10k increase not including options.Its not the only Model the revised Audi A6 did the same thing. I think its fair to say the 30k ish range is kind of the threshold for a lot of buyers to spend on a vehicle regardless of income.Especially vehicles that have had a history of poor depreciation.

Just some ramblings,

DL
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Never leased because I do tend to keep my vehicles 8+ years and 100k+ miles. My point was that if things don't work out with the LR3 and I decide I want to sell before the expiration of the warranty period, the depreciation hit after 2-3-4 years is likely to be considerably higher than with a GX470, MDX or XC90.

I would like to think the LR3 is the exception to the Land Rover rule of high depreciation, but even my friend who is on his fourth RR in 12 years would bet against it, particularly at the near MSRP prices everyone is currently payong. He thrives on buying 1-2 year old Range Rovers for $20-$30k under the new price. His take is that Land Rover, not being a "mainstream" premium brand like Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, has more of a "cult" following, When they decide to sell, they have a much more limited market of prospective buyers, most of whom are conditioned to seeking significant discounts.

Again, just to be clear, I am impressed with the LR3 and think if I was 95% confident that it didn't have first year bugs and was going to break the "poor" reliability rating of Consumer Reports and JD Powers, I'd go for it.
    habitat1,

One of the reasons that's going to make the LR3 resale worse is its service cost.

People buy used vehicles for the lower prices. However, the service cost will not reduce with time. A brake job is still $1000+ whether you buy a new LR3 at ~$50K or a used one at $25K. Since LL is not a volume brand, there will be fewer non-dealership shops that you can find to give you a lower labor rate and fewer parts suppliers to get parts that don't carry the dealer markups.

So between a used Lexus that doesn't need the brake jobs and a used LR3 that will need it and some more, if you live on a budget, which one would you go for?

The saving grace may be that the market already figured this out by then so a used LR3 is cheaper than a used Lexus.

Well, that's fair for the used car buyers. But it makes those who buy LR3 new.....(well I am not going to say it).
  • kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    Yeesh! $1000 for a brake job! I have a 2001 Discovery and just changed my front pads myself for a total of $90. Easy job! Now obviously if the rotors had needed work then it would have been more but you have to be crazy to pay $1000 for a brake job. If people pay it then they will keep on charging it!

Also, this was the first time I have changed my pads and my truck has 50,000 miles on it. I am not sure how people need 3 sets of pads in 50,000 miles but I don't think I would want to ride with them!
  • The ute arrived last week with almost all factory installed options, more than two months after deposit. Parts for some of dealer installed options such as wood panels are on back-orders.

Looks quite nice and treads very well on very winding and hilly local roads. Tried to cheat the the nav with some treacherous local roads, but to no avail. The nav adapts to driver's ruling of actual route quite adeptly.

It's been quite a change for wife from Odessey and she found the process adapting to this ute has so far been straightforward and pleasant.

All comments and feedbacks from wife and kids are positive so far.

Will take the ute for a trip to Florida shortly and will have more feedback in the new year.
  • Took delivery of a HSE (silver with alpaca) on Friday last week and drove over to Belgium from the UK for the weekend. The car is very smooth on the road with almost no engine noise. The HIFI is excellent. Sat nav worked fine and was very useful in a foreign country. On one outing we had two baby car seats in the third row with four adults and it worked out great. Still managed to fit two prams in the limited boot space.

I have tested a demo model off-road with the Range Rover and the Defender and the LR3 is far better.

The centre console fridge also works well although it only takes cans so I have ordered the extra cool box fridge. Apparently it plugs into the mains as well as the car.

You do see the heat pack wires on the front windscreen when you make an effort to focus but they are not a distraction.

Had the wood trim on order but have now cancelled, the clean lines on the car would be spoilt………….personal choice.
  • toddetodde Posts: 10
    The dealership installed mine, but it will be located behind a detachable plastic plate on the bumper above the tow hitch. The wiring receiver has both the 8 prong U-Haul type harness and the larger electric brake type.

Todd
  • 4 weeks into LR3 (aka Discovery 3) ownership and 3,000 miles under the tyres. She hasn't missed a beat, has loosened up beautifully and is a joy to drive. She has taken me and the family up hill and down dale and thrived on every mile covered. Highlights so far have been:

1. We crossed Hardknott pass in major ice conditions (we were pretty stupid to have even tried). The road was blocked by an old model Range Rover, which we yanked out of the way (there was no way we were going to turn around and drive back down the iced up slope we had just climbed).

2. In a moment of unhealthy bravado returning home from a weekend away, I turned down a really knarly green lane (it was late at night, dark, sleeting and I had wife and kids on board). Very soon regreted this move as the lane turned into a horrible washed out hole. Tried to reverse back to tarmac but couldn't. Faced with 2 mile walk in freezing dark to unhappy farmer (and with fuming wife and child)but instead twiddled terrain response to "mud", switched in low box, and she leaped out of the hole backwards and flew majestically back up the steep muddy / icey slope to the road. I definitely owe LR for that one !

3. Took 4 kayaking friends, 5 boats and 1 mountain bike out last weekend. She swallowed us whole, transported us in great style and everyone was massively impressed.

4. In between all of the above I have been taken to work everyday in great comfort, with marvellous views of the surrounding countryside that I had forgotten existed (you dont see those views from a normal road car)and felt relaxed and ready for anything on arrival.

So all in all a wholly positive experience of this peerless motor vehicle.
  • Looking for a HSE? I drove 3 hours to see what the Adriatic Blue HSE looked like today. It didn't ring my bell. Call the Oklahoma City Dealer if interested. Good luck for those looking for an HSE. I am looking for a White HSE!
  • I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and very much enjoyed all contributions.

Decided on the HSE and put a down-payment on a fully loaded one that is due 12/27... just in time for the Section 179/ accelerated depreciation deduction.

It's got tow, 3rd row, rear climate control, locking rear differential, heating package, cooling console, DVD, and (even) the adaptive headlights.

I've looked at all of the "Sect. 179 Candidates" and feel the LR3 provides the best combination of character, features, and quality. I believe it can be a vehicle one can really enjoy.

Good luck to all other HSE hunters out there...
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,189
    Hey Doctrix, nice meeting you in the All Member Chat tonight.

The silver exterior should be easy to keep clean.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• edfred,

Might want to check with Land Rover of Dallas as they claim to have two HSEs in stock and are rumored to be getting some more in when the next truck arrives...
  • Most of the posts regarding resales on the Discos are way overthinking the situation. Remember all of the budget leases that have been offered over the past four years to help move these dinosours? Let's see...$299-$399 a month for a SE stripper, add a few bucks for miles and options...Guess what, those returns are now (and have been) clogging the lanes of the regional auction houses. To the rate of at least one greater than demand.

As a reuslt of this......depressed resale values. It really is that simple.
  • teldocteldoc Posts: 49
    10 days into it and our love affair with the white SE7 continues to grown. Great machine.

Question: The dealer supplied us with a set of genuine Land Rover rubber floor mats and I'm wondering if anyone has experience putting the anchors in the floor. Do you just drill into the floor boards and screw the plastic piece in? The instructions that came with the mats are 100% pictures and look like the message sent aboard VOYAGER 1.
  • My dealer took care of the floor mats and they installed them properly. The difference is that mine is a HSE but I can hardly see it as a reason in this context...

Worth raising the question to your dealer and ask what was the reason that was not done.
  • teamkteamk Posts: 8
    I hear you should be careful with installing the floor mats -- the floorboard drill holes can let water in and then you're really in for it....

My buddy's mats seem to stay pretty well without the drills -- if you have slippage, just put some velcro on the bottom of the mat rather than open a potential water-hole into your insulation....