Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    I have an expensive German SUV that kills its battery if it is parked for a couple weeks. The dealer tells me this is normal because of all the computers.

Has anyone parked their LR3 for a week or two or more and had their battery die or have you parked it without a problem?
  • We have LR3's that ist on the lot for weeks at a time with very little if any use and they don't kill batteries.

Even our showroom LR3 with people opening doors and stuff normaly has enough juice for at least two weeks before it dies if not longer.
    Thanks British_Rover.
    Anybody else have one die or let one sit for weeks with no problem?
    A Mercedes tech told me that the air suspension compressors fail a lot, especially on vehicles that live at higher altitudes, because they work harder at altitude.
    I asked why they don't just pressurize the air springs and then stay off and he said they constantly adjust the pressure to level the vehicle, even in turns while driving. He said the problem was on BMW too and all the high end Mercedes.

This does't make lots of sense to me since you could never pump up the air springs fast enough to react while driving and the difference in high altitude atmosphere vs. low altitude is small in comparison to the pressure in an air spring.

When does the pump in the LR3 run? Just to change the ride height and occaisional load leveling? Or does it run frequently. Can you hear it if it were to run while driving along?

By the way, I might need to change my user name from lr3maybe to lr3onorder. I ordered one so I could get it my way (V8,SE,silver/alpaca,Cold Climate, Heavy Duty, Lighting Package).
  • If you listen carefuly while you are driving the LR3 you can hear the compressor run randomly if the radio is off. It will autolevel the car side to side and front to back. The side to side leveling is part of the Active Roll Mitigation system and works really well off road.

On your test track you can actually see that the vehicle is not tilted as much as the landscape.
  • I purchased an LR3 after owning a Range Rover...Buy the Range Rover if you can....I have been living a nightmare with the LR3 and am going to arbitration over it....It is cool and a great off road vehicle but the "coolness" wears off when you see it being towed off repeatedly and it dies for no reason on slopes in front of approaching traffic on windy roads....I have children and don't feel safe anymore....I have had it in the shop for 39 days and counting....At least Land Rover of America could offer one in Lemon Yellow!!!!I just don't wish that on anyone else....the Range Rover has had a few things but nothing that I cannot live with....Really think about it if you haven't already and if you have, get and keep a good warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!Also they will try to blame it on the gas but you know I noticed a message from someone in Florida with the same issue......Ya think he is buying his gas in the northwest and having it fed-exed?????...they honestly called me and told me it was because the fuel in the NW has more fillers in it and that the East Coast was not reporting problems.....Blah Blah Blah.....
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    I was on gone for 2 1/2 weeks... and no problem. Garaged, though.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Jenny, I have had my 2006 LR3 HSE (black/alpaca) for about two months and no problems... I have 3,050 miles in it now. Occasionally, I will have the suspension fault light come on but when I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on, everything resets. I LOVE this vehicle. Also, I would not be interested in the Range Rover because I want seating for 7 people. Also, the storage in the rear of the LR3 is absolutely amazing! :D

I'm sorry that you have not had good luck, it can happen with any vehicle. :sick:

Mark :D
    thanks grommet, that's what I wanted to hear.
  • I have left mine at ORD longterm parking for two weeks in cold and snow. No problems at all..
    I travel a lot so mine tends to sit for weeks at a time and so far no issues. I do keep a battery jumper/air compressor in the back though. So far I have only used it to help others.
  • I've noticed new items available on the Land Rover USA website (LR3 Accessories Builder). Sorry if this is old news.

It now shows the G4 raised air intake and rear ladder :shades: , along with numerous chromed parts :surprise:
    Not that old... last month or so. Most are still not "in stock"... but they will be soon, supposedly. The chrome "bling" bits are too much for LR3... but I'm sure some will enjoy it. (I've seen the chrome mirror covers installed on a Range Rover Sport, which has the same mirror as LR3.)
    New North America LR3 Kit Accessory Part Numbers:

The "useful" stuff...

G4 Raised Air Intake (Snorkel): ADL780010
    G4 Rear Ladder: AGP780020
    Underbody Protection Shield: KRQ500010

The "bling" stuff...

Chrome Mirror Caps: VUB503880MMM
    Body Side Moulding with Bright Finish (Chrome): DGJ500011MMM
    Chrome Finish Door Waist Rails: BHR780310

The "bling" stuff I don't have the part numbers for, yet...

Chrome Finish Air Intake: N/A
    Chrome Finish Tailgate Trim: N/A
    Chrome Roof Rails: N/A

There might be a few more accessories added the the list, but these are the more significant ones. (Other regions may also have items we won't be offered... like OEM 19" Chrome Wheels & Painted Wheel Arch Moulding for select colors.)

FYI: Not all these items are orderable yet.
  • tzotzo Posts: 95
    Jenny, I had an occasional stall problem as well as a serious occasional gas leak (onto the exhaust pipe no less). Apparently that was all the cause of a faulty gas tank vent mechanism. Once they replaced the tank, filler hose and vent mechanism, all is totally well.
    Car has been rock solid in extreme heat and cold, off road and on. While initially ticked off with a few foibles and the stalling problem, now we're very satisfied with the performance of the LR3, esp in cold snowy weather. Tires still suck though... LR needs to get with tire companies and get real offroad tires available for 18 and 19" wheels.
  • nesuvnesuv Posts: 10
    I just had 7500 maintenance and neither the oil or service indicator lights that come on when you start the vehicle were reset. What is the secret code for reseting both of these? I can't find the procedure anywhere.
    Mine isn't enabled, personally... nobody I know has it enabled around here. If active, the dealer normally resets it using the Test Book hardware after completing a service interval.

However, this manual procedure may work:

* Press and hold the trip reset button.
    * Turn the igntion to position II
    * The display should flash SERVICE for 5 seconds and then display SERVICE constantly.
    * Release the reset button with 10 seconds, and you'll see "OIL" on the display.
    * Within 10 seconds, hold down the trip reset button for more than 5 seconds and the oil counter will be reset. (If you hold for less than 5 seconds, the reset will be skipped.)
    * Repeat the last step for "INSPECT" and "DATE", for Inspection Service and Date Service, respectively.

(If any of these indicators are disabled, they won't be displayed.)
  • I'm a ridiculous car fanatic. I read Edmunds news every day and actually check back several times during the day just in case I missed anything. I love all the info and love to research all the tech data on new cars and SUV's That being said I have probably owned 10 cars over the past 15 years and I'm now ready for my next one. I'm considering a new RR LR3 HSE. The problem is that I have owned a RR disco a few years back and it was absolutely terrible. I will not bore all of you with the details but lets just say it was less than satisfactory. Now for some crazy reason I want another one. The fact that it looks so different and has weird controls actually draws me to it again. My current vehicle is a JGC Limited and I see about a thousand of them every day on the road. Am I just crazy to re-buy another RR? Please Help
  • Its Land Rover LR3 not Range Rover. Land Rover is the make Range Rover is the model if you are buying a Range Rover.

The current Land Rover models imported into the US are Land Rover LR3, Land Rover Range Rover and Land Rover Range Rover Sport.

Confused yet?

That being said go drive an LR3 and then drive a Disco back to back you can't even compare the two.
  • I actually knew that but was so focused on trying to explain myself that I missed typed RR instead of LR. I know the difference, there is the one I really love RR or RR sport but can not afford and the one I can afford the LR3. I'll take your advice and drive them both back to back. I sat in the LR3 at the car show and really liked it. Also I should add that when I had my old Disco there was only one LR dealer here and they were very small and extremely over worked. We now have two dealers that are both fairly large and sell Jag and BMW also. I think the one even has a few Aston Martins to drool over. Thanks again!
  • nesuvnesuv Posts: 10
    I forgot to mention this is an '05 LR3. I couldn't get this particular procedure to work. The guy at the dealership seemed to think there was a sequence to hitting the brake and shifting to reset it. I remember being shown a similar sequence on an XJ8 Jaguar.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. :)