Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• roverdawgroverdawg Posts: 30
    How much did you end up paying? I'm constantly searching Ebay for the latest version (xx24) but can only find the xx22 and xx23 versions. May have to wait awhile as it looks like they're only selling dealer overstock. My dealer wants $300 US for the latest version and I'm not sure if there are enough changes to justify that price.
  • dmitriymdmitriym Posts: 5
    The search string i used is "land rover navigation dvd" for All categories. I just looked their again and there are no xx24 currently available. I bought it about 3 months ago and at the time only two people were selling it. I was login in pretty much every day until found the version I wanted I got it for $80 plus shipping $10. Looks like I got lucky.
    At the time i thought that up to $150 is reasonable.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    i went to tirerack.com and they didn't have any tires for an 'hse' that matched either.
  • jclay1965jclay1965 Posts: 7
    Here is the problem I have with these OEM Goodyear Wranglers...and my LR3 is really flawless except for this annoying problem...I only know how to describe it as a 'chatter' or 'flutter' type of noise, as if one tire is not making complete contact with the ground, or out of balance. I notice an annyoing vibration at highway speed, especially 60-80 MPH. Not much if any vibration in the steering wheel but I can see it in the headrests, especially the rear ones. Dealer has rotated and balanced them once already, removed a few weights, etc. I think one or more of the tires is bad and I really want the dealer to swap them out for some Michelins, after reading all the comments here about the Goodyears. Obviously they are a terrible OEM tire for the LR3. Years ago when I got my new ML320, MBZ had to replace the OEM Dunlops right away due to a similar problem. It amazes me that the manufacturers can even ship them out to the dealers with such substandard tires. My LR3 is leased. 900 miles so far. Any ideas? Comments?
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    Have you tried www.tirerack.com? They have tires for most any make of vehicle and wheel size combination. They even have a tool to match up tire brand and type with your driving needs.
  • nesuvnesuv Posts: 10
    I can't find the pink antifreeze anywhere. I found a Prestone formula that says its compatible with any color antifreeze and any vehicle. Would this work?

Any suggestions???
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Has anyone installed the dog guard gate in the LR3 - and if so is it removable or a fixture? is it easily removed etc to use third row seats and what is left attached to the car when you remove it? Thanks
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Yeah it pops in and out easy once you have it installed. You could probably even install it yourself if you are handy. I think it takes the techs about an hour to install it. Once it is installed you can remove the guard with just your hands by turning thumbscrews and the mounting brackets are left in place.
  • I originally ordered the dog guard but with the back head rests as high as they are decided I don't need them. My dog wears a sort of harness and I clip him to one of the floor mounts, mostly to keep him from jumping out when I open the back gate. He has enough give to walk around a little but wouldn't make it as far as the front seat to gnaw off the leather from the steering wheel. (as he did with my first new car)

In my old volvo v50 the dog gate simply pivoted flush against the roof. A much better solution than having to remove the gate altogether.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    I know there are no Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in my size yet. I have bought and paid for a set from my local Discount Tire. And they have agreed to trading in the ones that came on my LR since they are almost new. I have contacted Goodyear and they don't have a production date yet, but I believe this is a new size for the Silent Armor tire. Since my original tires are good it is no problem to wait a few months for me.
    For all you guys worrying about a spare, I bought the heavy duty package so I got a full size spare. You can always get a spare wheel and tire to replace your temporary spare if you didn't get the heavy duty package.
    I took my LR to my local Discount Tire when I got it and bought the tire warranty on the factory tires from Discount Tire for around $25 per tire. When I had a flat, I took it to Discount. Since they couln't repair it, they offered to replace it with a new tire. Instead, I took the full price of the replacement tire as a credit towards a new set of tires when they become available. I am now running on my spare tire and Discount got me a nice Michelin for my spare for no charge, and will take the Michelin back when my tires come in (I bought a set of 5).
    Discount Tire is a very good company to work with - I'd highly recommend them. But I always deal with a manager.
    Please let us know what trails you do in Ouray. I'll be there in a few weeks. Last year I rented a jeep for a day because I didn't want to trust my tires on my ML on the rocky trails. Some trails are one way (Ouray to Telluride). Ophir Pass is not very difficult at all - I don't recall if a 2WD could make it.
    Also,
    I can confirm that all 5 wheels have pressure sensors on my February 06 build date. The dashboard monitor can differentiate between the 4 road wheels and the spare - if you have a low tire it will say check tyres or check spare or something to that effect. I believe the pressure psi that the tire has to be low before the warning is based upon the position on the LR - the fronts are different from the back - so the warning is partly based on the pickup sensor in each wheelwell.
  • The pressure warning system light has been lit from Day 1 in my LR3 HSE. The dealer is ordering new sensors to try to get the light to turn off. This has been the only issue with my vehicle.
    Mine seems to work great - I had a low tire, the light came on and the dash said to check the tyres. I filled the low one, the light went off immediately. The air leaked out and the light came on 2 more times. I installed the spare and the light went out. When the spare well was empty while the tire was left at the tire store, there was no light or warning. Then, I got the spare back and the light came on and warning said to check the spare - it was 36 psi and I pumped it to 42 and the light went out immediately. On the rear tires, 36 psi won't light the light, about 33 I think will. On the front tires, it needs to be 30 or so before the light comes on. I need to test it to be sure. You don't even need to drive it, just starting it will bring up the warning, and if you pump it up, the warning goes away on startup.
    I tried out my extended height mode.
    I raised the LR to off road height via the console switch, then lifted a corner with a jack enough to take the weight off the suspension. The suspension hissed. I lowered the jack. The truck raised and the dashboard said it was in extended mode. This simulates bottoming out the chassis.

Supposedly, if you then hold your foot on the brake and hold the console switch in the raise position for 40 seconds you'll get a 'bong' then it should go up another 35mm, but I didn't do that yet.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Yeah the extended height mode is very cool too bad that it lowers automaticly if you go over like 8 mph. I can't wait till someone figures out to hack into the suspension control module.

Previous Generation Range Rovers, P38's are their internal designation, have this device called a Rovercom that allows the driver to raise the air suspension beyond the normal maximum for off road height.

Eventually someone will develop a similar gadget for the LR3, RRS and Mark II Range Rover.
  • lr3for4x5lr3for4x5 Posts: 1
    Greetings:

I was searching for a reasonable phone to use with the PTI Nokia cradle, but didn't want to spend $300 from the dealer. I use a RAZR w/Bluetooth, but for long drives, I wanted a phone in the cradle, etc.

I can now confirm that the Nokia 3100 w/firmware 3.03 works in the '06 LR3 with PTI and the current Nokia cradle. These are the phones you see on eBay for about $35-40 unlocked. :shades:

According to the LR website, you need a 3100 with firmware 4.x, well AT&T and Cingular only had 3100s with 3.03, RH-50. These are what are on eBay.

I have tried two different units of these phones (borrowed from friends) and they seem to work fine. I have a third phone that I bought off eBay (~$35 unlocked) and am going to do extensive testing this evening to finalize.

I hope this helps anybody who was looking for an inexpensive phone (or non-bluetooth phone) to put in the cradle.

Cheers,

Rich
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    Hello "lr3maybe". I look forward to this Ouray trip next week. I've done pretty much every trail in the area over the last 15 years and I've always used normal tire pressure and have had only had one flat. My vehicles have been Toy 4Runners and Series II Discoveries. This will be my second LR3 trip to CO. I plan to do Ophir Pass, Black Bear-Tomboy-Imogene & Yankey Boy, and that'll be it for this time.

On my last trip I did basically dirt trails except for a 5 mile rock section and some deviant ditches - the LR3, even though I was nervous, just did everything so uneventfully it was not even funny. I'll report again when I get back...
  • invest100invest100 Posts: 6
    Purchased a 2006 LR3 V8 last month and the vehicle could not even make it the 4 miles to my house without failing. Stalled out less than a mile before I got home. THe dealer had to tow the LR3 backed to the dealership and they canceled the contract. They said it was a defective transmission. Purchased a 2006 Acura MDX instead.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Report your gas mileage here: Land Rover LR3: MPG - Real World Numbers

tidester, host