Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• My wife picked up two nails in the sidewall of the driver's side rear tire last week which left the tire dead flat after sitting overnight. I found the tire flat about 1 hour before I had to be at the airport. I figured I had enough time to change the tire before leaving. Rushing through the job and not paying attention, I placed the jack about 2 inches outboard of the rail and started cranking. About fifteen turns and a horrific noise, the truck sank about an inch. I grabbed a flash light and realized I was not on the rail, but on some type of plastic cover with a similar hole for the jack to mate up with. I quickly lowered the jacked, found the rail and raised the vehicle. Got the tire changed and took it for a spin. The compressor was making quite a racket. I found it was just underneath the plastic cover I was jacking. The uspension operated normal in all settings, but the racket was not going away.

I tore down the plastic cover this afternoon and found I had busted the aluminum casting bracket that holds the compressor. I also bent the compressor mounting brackets. I got the casting off and straightened the compressor mounts. Ordered a new bracket and cover from LR for $150. I should be back in business by next Tuesday.

Be warned - do not jacket the vehicle up using the compressor as a lift point and make an a-- out of yourself. Also be careful off road on that side of the vehicle, if you are traversing some odd shaped boulders.

Happy trails!
  • slauslau Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Land Rover LR3 and am trying to use it for towing a camping trailer. The V8 LR3 that came with air leveling suspension and a factory towing package has a towing rating of 7700 lb; while my camper has a GVWR of less than 5000 lb. So it appears that the it should be well within the capability of the LR3 in towing this camper. This was something that I had fully anticipated based on the general perception of Land Rover before I bought the LR3.

Due to the length of the camper (about 23 feet), it has been recommended by many people who are familiar with trailer towing that a weight distribution hitch (WDH) with a sway control system should be used to properly distribute the weight of the trailer and retard the sway of the trailer for safety reasons. While this is a very common installation on almost all other trucks and SUVs, I have never expected, however, that the LR3 manual has a statement in it calling out that "no weight distribution hitch should be used on this truck" without any explanation on why.

As a result, I have to reluctantly limit myself to a weight carrying (WC) type hitch that can only use a friction sway control system, which is well-known to be inferior in towing performance than the more effective WDH/anti-sway systems such as an "Equalizer " or a "Reese" Dual Cam WDH-anti sway systems. Unfortunately, as expected, the towing performance that I have been experiencing so far with my WC hitch and friction sway control set up is less than adequate. I have encountered quite a bit of swaying on the highway even at speeds as low as 50 mph when there were moderate cross-winds.

So here are my questions that I hope someone on this forum can help me understand: (1) What is the reason that a WDH system cannot be used on the LR3? (2) What are the consequence should such a hitch is used?

I have learned that some LR3 owners have gone ahead on their own to use a WDH. They have reported very satisfactory towing performance without the "white knuckle" type experience that I am having with my weight carrying hitch. I am facing the dilemma on either joining these people to install a WDH against the statement of the LR3 manual or continuing with the "white knuckle" towing and fearing losing control anytime. Any explanation or advice from you would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Hey B_R, I have a question for you. In an earlier post you mentioned that the LR3's air suspension can raise even higher than the normal "high" setting.

I would like to test mine to see if it will do it. Do you think that it's OK to do that or is that just an emergency feature?

Thanks, Mark156 :D
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Yeah you can try out extended mode if you want it is fairly easy to do. You just need to jack up on side of the truck enough with the engine running that the suspension thinks it is high centered. It should go into extended mode then. That is basicly how the techs check to make sure extended mode is working when they do the PDI.

I can't wait for someone or some company to figure out how to overide the Suspension control module and allow extended mode to be user selectable.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    Try a Nokia 6230 - it's the phone that was made to fit into the cradle....

Enjoy!
  • roverrichroverrich Posts: 5
    Hi guys/gals, I just joined the Forum in anticipation of my new LR3. Been a long time rover fan and currently own a 1997 D90 ST, 2003 DII. Unfortunately both those trucks need to go as our third child make these vehicles impractical- oh well, looking forward to the new ride.

Let me ask the group a question. I heard that there is an aftermarket "box" that hacks the LR3's suspension so that you can drive the truck at whatever "lift" you choose. Anyone else hear about this?

TIA and look forward to lively discussions.

Rich
    I have been looking for some company to do that for a while and so far found nothing.

There are several situations where having driver access to extended mode would be very handy.
    My dealer was the one who told me about the hack. I'll findout more and post later today.

Cheers!
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    There is German company that offers a hack for ~$2K USD. I'm pretty sure this will void any suspension warranty if you have an issue. :P It's been "imported" and installed by a few folks. If any US shop offers a modification like this, odds are they just resell this.

http://www.matzker.de/product_info.php?products_id=520

Run it through your favorite translator, if you don't read German. :)
    Yeah my german is a bit rusty. If I was just going to build a trail conquering LR3 I would do it but for any other reason ehhh I don't think so.
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    We're pretty sure it's related to the self adjusting air suspension. In a nut-shell, there are a LOT of variables that can impact towing ability... if you find something that works well for your specific rig, go for it.

In a related note, you also might want to get your air compressor "checked" if it hasn't been replaced or updated yet.
    Thanks just what I was thinking about.

Now, has anyone tried one?
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    Well, I'm back in HOT OK after seven blissful days in the Ouray area of Colorado. I drove 2200 miles and my 05 LR3 HSE performed flawlessly, as usual. My going-there mileage was again around 18 mpg, my off-road mileage, low range, in rock-crawl mode, was 13.5, and my return mileage was 22.5 with the AC on.

The trails, especially Black-Bear > Tomboy > Imogene were rougher than I remembered and I had some serious concerns about the tailpipes and mud-flaps being torn off - but, nothing happened. No rocks were touched and the wheels stayed perfect. The bloody Rover handled it all so totally uneventfully that it was almost embarassing. I did not use the HDC because low range, 1st. gear was so slow, the brakes were never needed. Ophir, and Yankee-Boy were just "drives in the country". I wonder just where in the hell would you need to go to really test this thing ? Maybe Holy Cross or Blanca Peak ? But then I'm not into "body damage likely" stuff.

My tires, at 17000 miles are getting cupped on the inside front edges causing more noise than I like, but they should go another 15000 before replacement.

I did see several LR3's in Telluride but they were all clean so none had seen any trails. I also saw several DI and DII's along with one Series vehicle, and they were all "trail machines" based on the dirt, dust, mud, and rock art. The number ONE trail vehicle though, now, seems to be the Jeep Rubicon. Next time I will rent one ($175/day) just to see how it works. Happy Rovering to you all!
  • lmgkeyslmgkeys Posts: 20
    I have just started looking at the LR3's and my curiosity is peaked but I was hesitant due to the concern of gas mileage. Yours seems to be pretty good though. I currently have a 2001 Excursion since I have four kids and I need the space. We are looking to sacrifice space for gas savings so the LR3 concerned me that it wouldn't be much better than what I get now but you seem to do really well. What do you consistently get?

I saw a certified pre-owned 2005 LR3 HSE with only about 11,000 miles and I'm curious about the vehicle. Any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    I have read many dismal mileage claims and I can only speak for myself, but my average mileage has been outstanding for a 6000 lb. off-road capable vehicle. I have yet to fall below 17.5 mpg while in the flat-lands, around town. High-
    way only gets me 22-23 mpg pretty consistently. I use 91 octane most of the time with an ocasional tank of 89 and see/hear/feel no difference. I use 5W-30 Castrol oil and run my tires at 33 F / 36 R psi, and I drive "nice" in auto mode 95% of the time.

Hope this helps. Good luck !
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,014
    That reminds me, it'd be nice to have some more reports over in the Land Rover LR3: MPG - Real World Numbers discussion.

The last time I was in Ouray, the Jeep tour couldn't get to the top of Engineer Pass because there was too much snow. That had to be June.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lmgkeyslmgkeys Posts: 20
    Thanks! It does help. We live in the flattest land of Florida and do mostly highway driving with very little stop and go so I could only hope for such good mpg compared to what I get now. It sounds like you really enjoy the car. Thank you.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    lmgkeys: Note that at high altitude like Colorado, you can get by with regular or midgrade gas even though premium is specified. But in Florida, it is likely you'd need premium all the time. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but that's the way it works. I don't know if the Excursion runs premium, I suspect not.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    Thanks for the info on the Ouray trails. I'll be trying one or two over the Labor Day weekend. I usually use AC when on the trails to keep the dirt out of the interior. Did you? Last year I rented a Jeep Wrangler and did a trail I can't recall the name of. Went until snow blocked the trail. It only got about 10 or 12 mpg on that day. It was nice to ride with the top off. At the end of the day all the rental Jeeps are at the car wash because you gotta return them clean.