Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• Yes, this is an ryl build - late 2004 build

Oh oh. So I should sell my Lr3 now?
  • Oh bah don't sell it no reason to. The three that I sold that had wire chafing issues have been fine for about a year now with no problems at all.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    Just a question for those LR3 owners out there... I have had a few issues with noises, both in the body panels and in the speakers... Also got my first real warning light today (Truck is only a few weeks old).

I have already had some wiring in the dome light area (around the 2nd row climate controls) fixed, and the passenger side front speakers buzzing. (now replaced)

Now I have a strange rattling coming from the passenger side, somewhere in the 2nd row, possibly the door. As well, the driver's side speaker(s) have started buzzing at certain frequencies.

The Warning light is a low coolant warning notice, and when I look at the resevoir, it IS low.. after driving for approx an hour in traffic. I don't remember looking at it before when I first picked up the vehicle to see if it was borderline when I got it.

The service manager at the dealership said it could possibly be a faulty coolant sensor, but visually, it looks low....

I asked if I could top it up myself, and he said that the LR3 uses some special coolant that I probably couldn't pick up at a local auto parts store - so I have to drive it to the dealership to have them top it up. (I couldn't get them to look at it seriously, as they are all booked up in service). So I have to go back tomorrow and have them take a serious look at it, and hopefully find out why it may be leaking coolant, and why it is rattling so much.

Anyone else have something like this?

/DA
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    I just had my LR3 in for "low coolant" light message. While the faulty coolant tank was being replaced, they also completed a couple recall / software upgrades. The service mgr said the upgrades (I think they also replaced the compressor) would allow the vehicle systems to communicate better, or something to that effect. I actually can tell a difference...it feels like the transmission is shifting smoother (especially at start-up) and it just seems to drive better. I'm curious to know what exactly was done - anyone have info on this upgrade? Now if I can get them to cover new tires.
    Well, I hope it is something easily replaceable or fixable - my worst fear was that the coolant may be leaking from the block or a head gasket... I'm heading to Quebec on Friday afternoon, so I need my truck badly.

Did they keep your truck a while to get parts for the replacement coolant resevoir? My wife has noticed that the truck is a bit jerky / sluggish on startup as well, but I always assumed that was just us getting used to the very different throttle response this thing has compared to our last vehicle.

Also, what tire problem are you having? I've seen a few threads about uneven tire wear, but haven't been able to follow them well enough to get the gist of what the issue and / or resolution is.

Thanks!

Don
  • nesuvnesuv Posts: 10
    I had the low coolant light also. When I looked at the resevoir it was just slightly low. If you research antifreeze you'll find the color is mostly a proprietary marketing scheme. I topped up with Prestone 50/50 Any Make/Any Model/Any Color. The level has not gone down at all and I have not seen the warning light since. I have a feeling it may have been filled on the low side and triggered the sensor. The coolant system holds several gallons, so topping up a cup or two with the Prestone yellow/green antifreeze will not change the orange color.
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    My tire issue is explained in another post a few posts up - the uneven wear is not blatant, but the tires get very noisy at about 30mph and up. Regarding the coolant light, they almost immediately assumed it was a bad sensor and replaced the entire tank assembly. Since I had just under 18K miles at the time, they asked if I could wait while they did the 18K service and the recall / upgrade work. I'm guessing it was about 2 hours total.
    My assumption at this point is that there is no issue with anything, as visually, the resevoir IS low... just not sure if it is leaking from somewhere, or if they just shipped it low, and through the last two weeks, I've somehow filled up some air bubbles and lowered the reserve level.

I have noticed some road noise as well. I remember reading somewhere that there were some suspension tweaks they may have been willing to do, depending on how sharp your dealer is. (british rover can probably speak to that).

just hoping that it is not something severe, as I really need my LR this weekend - I'm going up to Quebec for the LR driving experience thing, and showing up in a rental is not my idea of how the whole thing is supposed to go.
    If they keep it over the weekend, the only way they are going to keep me happy is if I get a dealer loaner, not a rental.

/DA
  • I've been in the market for a new SUV and have done test drives of just about every SUV available in the market. Living in New England a solid performing and reliable truck. The LR3's capabilities are impressive and I like it alot, but I am concerned about quality. Land Rover has ranked at the bottom of the JD Power surveys for the last few years and Consumer Reports has frowned upon the brand as well. I would be very interested in feedback from LR3 owners on their experience from a reliability perspective.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    I have driven a 2001 LR Discovery and now a 2006 LR3. The 2001 went on long trips cross country, in snow, mud, heat and on rocks. Never had a problem on those trips at all. THere were some maintenance issues but those are particular to the Discovery not the LR3. I have driven my LR3 only 6,500 miles and at this point no issues at all. in fact the vehicle is so great I cant wait for my next longer trip. People who have driven in or driven my LR3 are impressed with the vehicle, and several friends own new land rovers and all feel good about them. I dont trust Consumer reports anymore, not because they pan land rovers but because they like a fixed set of cars and rarely deviate. Sometimes they like one car and dislike another build at the same factory.

I have read alot of criticism on Consumer reports about their evaluation methods and length of test drives. I think more time is needed to see if the LR3, RR Sport and 07 Range Rover (all have the same platform) measure up. For now the car is tops as far as i am concerned!
    no issues - just some air bubbles that worked themselves out, and lowered the coolant level...

Whew!

/DA
    I would say that the LR3 has been the best vehicles I have owned - previously I have owned Mitsubishi's, Ford's, and GM's, so this is my first real luxury vehicle.

The LR3 is an astonishing vehicle. Do yourself a favour and see if the dealer you are working with has any Wheels events. They are bit tame compared the the Experience centres, but they give you an idea of what they can do.

I just got back from the Montebello Land Rover Experience Center, and my wife and I had a hoot! It is absolutely incredible the punishment these trucks can take. Don't let the pretty looks fool you - this truck can work hard and do things other SUVs can only aspire to. I saw one LR3 recently with the bumper sticker: Jeep Recovery Vehicle. It was completel coated in mud, and was towing a Jeep Willys on a trailer - the Jeep had less mud on it.

:)

/DA
  • ehnjehnj Posts: 20
    avoncarguy, I have exactly the same concerns you have. I have consulted 2 other Land Rover forums, and read the same horror stories about the LR3 quality: the car just spends a lot of time in the shop... which I could live with to some degree, but the tire stories really turns me off, having to replace tires after 12K miles on your own dime.... . I thought the JD Power initial quality survey was pretty objective, since they only look at dealer records demonstrating the number of repairs per 100 cars in the first 3 months.
  • There is a new procedure for the tire problems with the LR3. It is much more detailed then the old one on how to correct uneven tire wear and it gives a break down on when tires will be replaced on Land Rover's dime and on how much they will pro-rate it.

I haven't really seen that much in the way of tire wear problems except on early build 2005 MY LR3s. I haven't seen any on 2006 MY cars that I can think of. They are very heavy vehicles so getting 30,000 miles out of a set of tires even with very agressive rotation scheduales is not going to be very likely.
    I specifically asked my service guy about tire wear, and he said they had fixed the suspension geometry that was causing the issue, and that it shouldn't be affecting anyone anymore.

Besides - I expect to change tires on all my vehicles every 20-25 thousand miles anyways... just for the safety and grip issues. It wasn't something that I wasn't expecting with this vehicle.

/DA
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Avon... I have had my 2006 LR3 HSE for 9 months and 7,700 miles. No issues so far.

Previously, I had a 2002 Mercedes ML500 that was a good reliable vehicle. I like the build quality, ride and roominess of the LR3 much better.

My tires seem to be wearing perfectly.

With the third row flat folding seats, the cargo carrying capacity is amazing. Recently, I bought a piece of furniture that I was concerned about it fitting in the back of the LR3. I thought I was going to have to put the second row down to accomadate the large box. I knew that my width was fine but the depth is what I was concerned about. To my surprise and amazement, this huge box fit without me having to lower the second row. I did have to remove the rear cargo cover as it blocked the height of the box. This box would have never fit in the Mercedes.

I'm a very happy Land Rover customer so far!!

I do wish I could get the 14 mpg's stated on the sticker for city driving as I'm getting about 12 in the city.

Mark156 :D
    Is there a specific reference to this procedure if we do run into problems? From your emails it looks like a 2006 shouldnt have the problem.
  • The bulletin is called LR3 and Range Rover Sport Premature/Uneven Tire Wear Guidance. The bulletin number is SWA06-10.

I have never seen the problem on a Range Sport so I guess they are just covering themselves in case it does show up. The suspension geometry on the RRS is a little different then the LR3 and the RRS is a little bit lighter as well.

Under this bulletin they are assuming 30,000 miles is normaly tire wear. Tires that are worn unevenly and prematurly at 10,000 to 15,000 miles will be prorated at 50%.
    Thanks thats helpful. I recall there is a web page where you can purchase or subscribe to get these bulletins? Is that so and if so can someone pass it along? Thanks
    Try www.landrovertechinfo.com