Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• bc_lr3bc_lr3 Posts: 3
    Land Rover South Bay sold me a damage car.

As the title said, I went to lease a brand new 06 LR3 on 2/6/07. After a week of ownership, I suspect body work on both passenger side doors. I talked to the sales and he told me the car is brand new and it is impossible to have any damage. I felt that I am fooled by the dealer so I went to inspect the car by a professional body shop and they proved to me both door were repainted. The latest from the dealer last week is that they are just going to offer to repair the door damage, which they deny to me in the beginning. I consider this is serious Business FRAUD and I want to terminate the lease because the dealer lies to me in the very beginning. I have given enough time for the dealer to resolve this problem and they failed to take and appropriate responsibility.

Long story short, "Do Not Buy Cars from Land Rover South Bay, CA" or any of their sisters company (AutoNation, Power AutoGroup). I already open a case with LRNA Case # 6909088 and LABBB Case#98179619.

Please help to spread the word to the public because I do not want anyone becomes a victim like me. Buying or Leasing a new car shouldn't turn out to be a bad experience like mine.

Thanks for reading.

BC_LR3
  • Took a 2006 SE V8 service loaner (6000 miles) for a quick drive today. I didn't have time to get on their "track" to test offroadness prowl. I was impressed with space inside. A previous poster questioned whether 7 passenger was indeed 7 passenger. I can attest that 7 can comfortably fit in this vehicle. Best 3rd row legroom in this price range.
    Naturally I can get one of these on a severe discount. I probably wouldn't even consider an 07 paying near full price. A few observations or questions....

1. I noticed from a stop that there was a 1 second hesitation before it took off after I depressed the accelerator. Is this a product of a Rover?
    2. It is built like a tank, I agree with that. But I was surprised it wasn't a bit more refined. I know people buy LR3s for its 4wd and offroad capability but I expected a bit more luxury for $50k. It does have some nice amenities...don't get me wrong. One quick example is the climate control. Maybe it is just me but in this price range, I expect digital readouts of temperatures and not having to turn a dial to select temp. It just seems like something you would see in a pre-2002 vehicle.
    3. What options/extras come in handy? The one I drove had the climate control but nothing else. No NAV, no Sat radio. Will I have remorse for not getting it "macked out"?

Anyway, I really liked it and I certainly didn't eliminate it from consideration. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confuse:
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Posts: 184
    One thing you've got to understand about Land Rovers is that although they could have put digital thermostat controls in, they chose not to. Land Rover is always performing a balancing act between a luxury Ute and a serious off-roader.
    As you come to know the vehicle, you will realize that they spent a huge amount of time thinking about the workings and tactile feel of just about everything in the vehicle. The temperature knobs are like that so you instinctively know how to use them. Try using the temperature controls on a Porsche - you have to look pause a second and think about how it works - not so with the LR3 controls.

The hesitation is not normal, but I believe that it was corrected with a software update - check with your dealer.

I ordered the wood package with mine as it seemed to upscale it a bit more, and makes it just that little bit more refined. I have a Silver on Black, and the walnut trim looks spectacular.

I love my SatNav. I originally thought it was a bit of fluff, but it comes in handy whenever I'm driving in a rea where I'm not completely familiar with the road. I also got mine with the towing package, Heavy Duty package, and an after-market dual-screen DVD system for the second row passengers (dealer-installed).
    I also have the rubber floor mats and the soft load space protector. Definitely get this.
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Get a nav system if you can-best option i ever had. I dont think i could live without it and when i have to rent a car out of town i miss it.

Knobs on the climate control--agree with recent post-the round knobs are great. i feel i dont need to look at the knob to adjust. its better than the digital read out.

There is a TSB on the delay and I think the software update takes care of it. I had that same problem, and now its gone at 15K so they must have taken care of it.

I like the biege alpaca interior with the black floor mats. I felt the same as you at first about its refinement then I drove the new X5 and X3 and felt Lrover was a better deal in that category.

take the think on a downhill slope on an icey road or through mudd and use HDC and terrain response and you will be laughing at those that bought other vehicles. Yes it could have a more refined look inside but overall i feel i am in a better vehicle.

Im at 15,5000 miles and only have premature tire wear on the rear tires but not as bad as i expected
  • landy manlandy man Posts: 39
    I am on the second set of Goodyear Wranglers (24K miles on them) on our early build 2005 LR-3 and they are, like everybody else's, getting very noisy. Despite my aggressive rotation schedule, they are cupping/feathering but the tread depth doesn't look bad for the most part. The place I bought the replacement tires (LR dealer was out of stock last year and this place was cheaper anyhow - and specializes in alignments of European vehicles) tells me they can be cleaned up - assuming they will be shaved down. They will recheck the alignment. I will also mention the TSB. Does anyone have a copy of it? The service advisor at our dealer seemed clueless. Assuming it is SWA06-10.
    IMHO, for Land Rover to take the position that the tires have a life of merely 30K miles because the vehicle is so "heavy" is ludicrous. I've owned several other LR products and Chevy Tahoes with 50K+ on tires with no wear problems whatsoever. But then again, they did not have the self adjusting air suspension, which I bet a dollar to a donut is the root of the problem.
    I was told by the service advisor at Land Rover Mission Viejo that the good years are just too thin of a tire to handle this vehicle. I think LR should be responsible for the decision they made. The only TSB i found on this issue is LA204-005, dated Oct 3 2006. You can find them at www.landrovertechinfo.com. http://www.landrovertechinfo.com/extlrprod/market.jsp I was told by two people familiar with tires for LR to replace with Michelin Syncrhones (sp?). Has anyone had mileage experience w/ these tires on the LR3?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,393
    How do the LR3s do on the used (CPO) market?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• webbuzzwebbuzz Posts: 36
    I replaced my Goodyears with the Michelin Synchrones before the 20k mark. The ride is night and day different. The tire shop that replaced them does all tire work for the Land Rover dealer. The manager said he has stacks of the Goodyears in back.

So far, with 33K there is no sign of unveven wear.
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    This has been a good discussion, but I would appreciate it if those who report the need for early replacement of tires will also state whether they faithfully maintained proper inflation in the old ones. That makes a big difference in tire wear.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my LR3 arrived from the factory with 5-6 PSI over-inflation in each tire. That wasn't something I was expecting, but it wasn't right. Most drivers who don't check regularly are usually riding around 10% under-inflated, and that will cause premature tire wear.
    if you bring you LR3 in for regular service will they check the tire pressure and adjust accordingly? ANd do those out there who have had their tires at the right pressure seen better wear on the goodyears? the GY tires just seem so thin. My old Disco II was sold to my neighbor. over a year ago i replaced the tires with the standard factory michelin 4x4 tires that were on there originally (same style etc). To date there is no tire wear that is noticeable. they look great. while in the 10 months that i have had the LR3 the gyears look terrible (the rear two tires). I cant wait to replace with the synchrones if that is whats best.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    if you bring you LR3 in for regular service will they check the tire pressure and adjust accordingly?

They should do, but really this is something you should also do yourself. Tire pressures should be set when cold, and the most appropriate time for this is usually first thing in the morning before you set off for the day.
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    Well said. Also, anyone waiting the regular service interval of 7,500 to 15,000 miles to have this done at the dealership, is going way too long between checks. This should be a monthly check, and even more frequent than that if you put a lot of miles on your vehicle.
    So the next question is - are there people checking their tire pressure > = once a month and if so what kind of tire wear are they experiencing on the goodyears?

It still sounds like the synchrones are the best bet for a combo, good ride and good off road.
  • bgsntthbgsntth Posts: 76
    Yet another update.

Its taken over 3 weeks to get the replacement Goodyears. In the interim, my tires went from just above the wear bars to completely bald. I now firmly suspect that there is something very wrong with the truck, and that these were indeed the original tires. So full tread-depth to bald in 2500 miles. The dealer said they would check the alignment-again, suspension, and frame. I'll update after this has been performed.
    Have they gone completely bald, i.e. virtually no tread anywhere, or are they just bald in one area?
  • bgsntthbgsntth Posts: 76
    They are completely bald (billard ball) until the very inner tread where there is still some distinguishable tread. For the record I set the pressures to 36/42 with a Longacre guage twice a month. They seem to be wearing as if the camber is positive and/or the toe is in-it seems.
    It's hard to imagine what kind of alignment problem could cause virtual complete tread wear with normal driving and correct tire pressures in 2.5k miles. Having one incorrect parameter, or even a combination, usually results in an asymmetrical wear pattern. Even if by chance a combination of factors caused this complete wear to happen on one tire, it stretches things a little to have it happen to all four.

Although your ultimate remedy probably lies with the dealer, I would be suspicious that it may be the tires that are at least partially at fault. Maybe faulty construction, maybe the wrong spec for the vehicle.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Not only is it hard to imagine a set of tires going bald in 2,500 miles,..... what sound must they be making to go bald that fast!???

As I've mentioned before, with almost 15,000 miles on my 2006 LR3, my tires are wearing even but do make a little bit of noise. I rotated them at 9,000 miles and will do it again at 18,000 miles.

Southpaw75... I like the dial-type climate controls, it's so easy to use. Since I keep my climate control on automatic, I rarely touch the dials.

I also added the walnut dash to my LR3... Looks wonderful and I'm very pleased with it.

Mark156 :)
  • Okay, my local dealer is bringing in a service loaner with over 6,000 miles on it from another dealer. What should I expect in the way of tire condition? What do I look for? In addition, as part of the deal to purchase, should I ask for and expect an alignment and rotation? Is it good to rotate every 9,000 miles like Mark 156 is doing?
    Is it good to rotate every 9,000 miles like Mark 156 is doing?

This is a generic answer, you can't rotate your tires too frequently, just like you can't check the pressures too frequently! Even on a correctly aligned vehicle each wheel wears it's tire a little differently to the others. The more often you rotate them the less will be the effect of that individual wear pattern. What is just as important, for obvious reasons, is to do it at the same mileage interval each time. I have no idea what LR recommend, but a good ballpark is every 6K. I do the rotation on my vehicles every 3K when I change the oil.

I do the rotations myself, but if cost is a factor you might want to work out the extra mileage gained vs. the cost of rotation.