Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• maytalmaytal Posts: 12
    Hi,

I am going on a camping trip in July and didn't want to spend the $ on a tow hitch receiver and electrics for one trip.

Does anyone know of a place that rents LR3 tow hitch receivers and the tow electrics? Anyone want to let me borrow theirs ;) I am in the LA area any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • abb2abb2 Posts: 1
    with the weight of the vehicle I cannot rent a typical car carrier. it is 6000 lbs and the rental companies only offer them up to 4000 lbs. ALso the tow dollys do not work per Land Rover. ANy thoughts???
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    Sorry, you'll need to find a heavy duty car trailer that can carry more than 4000 lbs. If you really can't "rent" one, you might just need to buy one and then sell it later.

If this is not an option, I guess you'll need to hire a vehicle transport service... or just have someone drive it to the destination.

Good luck.
  • pbroverpbrover Posts: 43
    From what I have read the LR3 wiring harness does supply 12V power correct? I have added a Prodigy brake controller and that was a snap. My trailer is configured so that if the tow vehicle supplies 12V power through the tow vehicles wiring harness then the trailers battery level can be maintained if I running the fridge on 12v power while driving. :confuse:
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    Yes, there should be a constant 12V available via the harness. I don't see a problem.
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Posts: 6
    Have 43k miles on our SE. Nearing the end of our 2nd set of Goodyears. I just think that rubber is soft and am going to try another brand next go 'round.

Question: When you rotate these tires, do you suggest swapping front and back on the same size? Or criss crossing LRear to RFront and RRear to Lfront?

Any ideas?
  • maytalmaytal Posts: 12
    Has anyone tried a roof bag before?

I was thinking of putting one of these on top of my LR3 for camping.

http://www.roofbag.com/

Suggestions would be appreciated!
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    Am curious: What kind of driving do you do to go through tires like that? What is the mix of on/off road?

As for the rotation, check this article:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&currentpage=38
  • ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    Just my input. My goodyears - rear - wore down to legally bald at just shy of 18000 miles. I spoke with tire people (couple different tire shops) and they said that if I had rotated them every 5k (i did that once at 7.5K) then i might have gotten to 25K max. I drove on a long dirt/rock and rutted road once a week during that period (less than one year and probably a grand total of 250 off road miles)
  • macc24macc24 Posts: 20
    Maytal,

I used one, I believe it was Thule, from Fairbanks, Ak to Seattle, WA. It worked pretty well and was easy to access, a little shifting from side to side but nothing dangerous.

I'd say go for it...we also had a rack on the back that attached to the tow hitch. Gets in the way of loading unloading from the rear a little.

Cheers,

macc24
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    I replaced my wiper blades with PIAA Super Silicon blades. When off, the wipers did not fully conform to my windshield, in fact, even the drivers side had a couple inches of the end of the blade that wasn't touching the glass.

I removed those blades and bought Valeo brand from tirerack.com. See this link:
    http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

These blades look similar to the factory type but are not exactly the same - the center section is plastic where the Land Rover piece is metal I think. Anyway, they fit and work perfectly.

They are on sale for buy one and get one free so 2 blades cost $20 plus shipping.
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    I just did another 1500 mile trip to New Mexico and the LR3 HSE performed as usual - perfectly ! I'm at 25,000 miles and my tires are 60% evenly worn. My MPG on the way out, going from 700 ft. to 6800 ft. was 21, the return trip gave 23 mpg with the A/C on. The performance off-road was perfect and uneventful. I have had NO problems at all since new two years ago!! No "whaaaa" from this owner.
    Good for you! Thanks for sharing the good news.

When off-road, did you reduce tire pressure by 5-10 PSI? If so, did you notice a difference in handling or traction?
  • koeslerkoesler Posts: 57
    Hello "pfolk". No, I have never reduced tire pressures while off-road but then I'm only running 33 / 36 psi in the LR3 and have never had a problem. I don't much like the 19" wheels & tires on the HSE and I'm afraid if I lowered my pressures I would pinch the sidewalls or scrape the wheels like I have in the past on other vehicles. Most of my off-
    roading is in New Mexico & Colorado with rocks and just a little sand and standard pressures seem just fine.

If I were to go to the sand dunes, I would drop PSI about 10 pounds. Also, my dealer has a habit of pumping up the tires to 36 and 46 which makes the thing ride as if on solid rubber tires so after every service I make sure I check and drop the pressures.

I have also been told that the "tire wear issue" with the LR3 is only with the non-19 inch tires which seems true given my experience. I also rotate every 7.5K and have had good tire wear although they are getting noisy and they are not worth the crap in mud.

Good luck and happy rovering !!
    Has anyone opined on what the best tires are for an LR3? I realize that off road versus on road is the first question. So for each what is recommended or for on road and 20% off road use?

I plan on getting another LR3 when my lease expires in early 08 and i want to sort this out

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Agree with your sentiments on the 19's. Unfortunately they are standard in HSE trim. Otherwise I would have gone with a smaller wheel for the same reason you would; don't want to kerb them in town. Your post is the first I have seen that claims of excessive tire wear were primarly with smaller diameter wheels.

I wouldn't worry about lowering the pressure if you need to. I was told it gives you a little more flex in the sidewalls so that you maintain grip on uneven terrain and makes sidewalls slightly less susceptible to cuts if you catch a rock or rough edge. I believe it, and I haven't had to walk home yet!

Interesting also that your dealer overinflates. I mentioned before that my LR3 came from the factory with too much air in the tires. I'll stick with the recommendation on the door pillar sticker.
    I found several rave reviews for the Michelin Synchrones. Check www.tirerack.com.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Koesler, I have 15,000 miles on my 2006 LR3 HSE... and my tires are also wearing evenly as far as I can tell. They are getting more noisy than when they were new.

I had to have my rear-view mirror replaced as the black coating on the garage buttons started to flake off. Land Rover put on a whole new style mirror with the buttons on the bottom which I like better.

I have never gotten the gas mileage that you have. I get 11-11.5 mpg's in the city and about 19 on the road.

So far with a year and half of ownership, I'm very pleased with my LR3. :D

Mark156
    I did too but I dont think they have a size for the standard SE wheel (18 inch?)
  • Hello there, I am wondering about the Michelin Synchrones, as Michelin lists the Synchrones as meant for model 2005 HSE LR3s ONLY. Is it ok to use them from LR3 models 2007-2008?

EDIT:I have recently found out that all 08' LR3 HSE models have wood trim! :D