Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• ssp1ssp1 Posts: 115
    I think thats correct. i tried to replace the OE with Synchrones and there was not a size for the regular SE wheel
  • My 2005 HSE has about 30,000 miles w/original tires. I'm looking for new, beefier tires for off road. The 19" seems to be limited in choices. I've considered trading for 18" to get a bigger tire.

Any ideas?
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    What kind of off-road driving do you do? A "beefier" tire sounds like a snow/mud tire. If you don't do a lot of driving in those conditions, you are going to get a lot more tire noise during your on-road driving with not much off-road benefit. I wouldn't do that.

If your off-road driving is mostly on unpaved forest roads, most any good A/T tire should do it and will give you a reasonably quiet ride on-road. Pirellis are also a good tire to consider, although the Synchrones have had good reviews too.

The 19's are clearly a fad. If I could have ordered my HSE without them, I would have. The 18's should give you better ride comfort and may open up more options for you in off-road tires.
    I think the syncrhones fit your size but not the 18'
    thats been the recommended alternative and per pfolk i agree-unless you are competing off road the syncrhones will do the trick. i have michelin all weather tour tires (didnt want them but thats what LR replaced my GY with re the tire wear issue). And they have been fine in rocky, muddy and dirt forest roads, plus the ride is noiseless
  • Thanks for the replies pfolk and ssp1.

I don't plan on a monster truck ralley, but I don't like the look or performance of the stock low profile tires. I live in Colorado and do go off road, sometimes more than forest service road.

I think I just want tires that are not low profile, I think I'll check around some tire shops here to see what they recommend. I just haven't been able to find anything on the internet, all the tire sites recommend the same tire/size I have. The Synchrones sound like they may work, maybe I need a different size tire?

Thanks again,
    Steve
    See if you can find an independant land rover service center near by and ask their advice. I went through the same question and issue you were facing regarding new tires.

I asked literally a dozen people who know tires from land rover people to tire people. From personal experience and what i was told: The synchrones may be very similar to the original equipment size and performance. I think they will wear better and they will stay quieter. Most of the guys i talked to said without a doubt they are better quality than the GY wranglers. But they would not necessarily improve off road performance. For off road performance I was told the Nitto Grapplers and the BF Goodrich All Terrain TA/KO were both great tires. I dont know if they come in the right size for the HSE. There will be increase noise but perhaps you willget some comfort from the fact that the noise comes with the better off road performance, there will be some piece of mind. All web sites and tire people start with the "recommended size." some tire stores will only put on the factory recommended size due to liability issues (whatever those are). I was advised to go to an independant tire shop. But that said I just had BF goodrich's installed on my 95 RR classic in a size larger than the recommended specs.

I am certainly not a tire expert but usually someone at an independant shop for Land rovers has good experience in this area. There is a guy named Ed Tassel (sp?) at Land Rover Mission Viejo who knows tires well or in CO http://www.jcrover4x4.com/ or someone here may know http://www.solihullsociety.org/about-us/

Please post what you find out if you dont mind.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    I'm in Lakewood Steve. I changed out my 18 inch tires for the Nitto Terra Grappler's that are 1.4 inches bigger diameter. I kept a stock size spare because the Nittos would be tight fit. I tested running 3 Nittos and a stock tire to see if it would be a problem having the different size tires on if I got a flat and had no problem. Let me know if you want more info. The Nittos are slightly noisier on pavement than the stock tire but look good and have worked well in the snow and off road (much more than forrest roads).
    Can i ask what you paid for the set of 4 Nittos? How noticeable is the noise? SOme of these tires - the noise is so constant its not a big deal. Versus the noise from improper tire wear that has resulted with the GYs
  • Hello everyone , i'm quite please to join this forum. Had a 2007 LR3 v6 for a month and i'm quite satisfied so far...
    After a few highway trips, I have noticed that already the hood letters start to have small black dots, just like if the paint was coming off on impact of some kind (bugs or small rocks), Does anyone have an idea if there is touch up paint for that and also the paint number ? My LR3 is buckingham blue

TKS
  • jjgghhjjgghh Posts: 13
    This may be a loaded topic on a board with so many LR3 reliability complaints (I've had one of my own -- suspension error at 9K miles, about which I was quite unhappy, but it was fixed the first time and did not recur), but I've come to really like this vehicle and am considering purchasing an extended warranty to take me out to 80K miles or so. I now have 33K on 2005 LR3. Does anyone have experience with the extended warranty program -- is it worthwhile? Thanks.
    I had one on my 2001 Disco and it was through Land Rover. There was a deductible of i think 100 dollars and it worked out well. just like the reg warranty except for the 100 deductible which is nothing in land rover dollars. I am interested to hear how people respond but I am guessing if you get it through land rover you are safe othewise i would ask the dealer what extended programs to look at. I would hate to have to go to Sam Auto Body and Sandwich Shop to get my 60,000 vehicle repaired.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    I strongly recommend you get it through LR - and you must buy it before your 4-50 factory warranty is within a month or 1000 miles of expiration. You can tailor it to miles you will drive per year and deductible from $0 to $250. Most of my customers do the $100 deductible.
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Posts: 134
    You can ask but I don't recall the answer. I had a special circumstance since I got a full credit for replacement of one of my factory Goodyears that was not repairable, plus I traded in the other 4 tires, and to top it off I bought them through a connection I had at Discount Tire.

The noise is louder than the factory tires but I suspect not as loud as the factory tires would have become in another 5 to 10K miles - they were getting louder. It is not objectionable and I usually drive with the windows open.

Jack
  • zoeyjrtzoeyjrt Posts: 6
    I have found a number of third party warranty companies but does Land Rover proper offer such a thing? I would appreciate any specifics such as contact info or even recommended third party warranty companies for an LR3.

Thanks,
    David
    i think if the LR is under warranty still you can add an extension. And i think its easiest just to ask the dealer that sold you the car.

Perhaps the guy from teh dealer who is on here can answer. i would go with and LR extended warranty. Who needs the hassle of some third party leveraging risk.
  • lrguy44lrguy44 Posts: 2,197
    I would shy away from any 3rd party warranties. I have seen too many claims denied that should have been approved. See your LR dealer for a warranty.
  • pfolkpfolk Posts: 70
    Land Rover offers two or three flavors of extended warranty that are very good. The finance department of your local dealer can explain the coverage and cost. They are not inexpensive but will provide good protection once the factory warranty is up. I believe you must purchase the contract before the factory warranty expires and have the vehicle inspected if you purchase the warranty at a later date.
  • I have a LR3 HSE with 600 miles on it. The vehicle was drivable, but the audio system and the navigation system were inoperable. The trip computer was functioning, but not correctly. Since it was Sunday there was no service at the dealer. By Monday the LR3 had a total electrical failure and would not jumpstart. After towing it to the dealer, they claim they could jumpstart it and everything worked normally after starting the LR3. Has anyone had similar problem? What happened? Did it recur? Has it ever left you stranded in a remote site?
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Were you using a bluetooth phone with the LR3 right before the audio system shut down?

The only time I have seen a failure like that is when someone was talking on a bluetooth cellphone connected to the vehicle and they tried to switch a call with call waiting.

It has only happened three times in the three years they have had bluetooth phones in Land Rovers but every time that was the problem. It doesn't seem to happen every time you try and switch calls with call waiting but it does happen sometimes.

The remedy has always been to completely disconnect the phone from the car. You do this buy going into the bluetooth menu on your phone and shutting the connection down. Then shut off the car and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Once you restart the car everything should be fine.
  • I do not have a bluetooth phone, nor was I using my cell phone, so it seems unlikely this was the cause. When the initial failures of the Audio system, Navigation system, Voice Recognition system occured the LR3 was drivable and I was doing errands. The vehicle was turned on and off several times without fixing the problem, so it doesn't seem to be a "re-boot" issue for computer chips. In the morning I found the LR3 without power, and curiously, could not be jumpstarted. Had to be towed to the dealer.

As an aside, to have the vehicle towed I called Land Rover Roadside Assistance. The driver of the first tow truck they sent stated he was not equiped to deal with an electrically disabled 4-wheel drive vehicle and left. I called Land Rover Roadside Assistance a second time and they said they would send a second tow truck. However, a short time later Roadside Assistance called me back and placed me in a 3-way conversation with the second tow truck driver to negotiate with the driver for him to come assist. Eventually, he did. Overall, a very poor performance by Land Rover Roadside Assistance.