Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• emolsemols Posts: 15
    did your car start right up again, no problem? how many times did your car stall in all since purchsing the vehicle? thanks- mine has stalled twice with several tanks of gas in between stalls. thanks - and I bet your problem will be resolved after tank replaced. kinda scary on land rover's part, though!!!
  • scaredscared Posts: 13
    Does this stalling ever end. I just can't fathome buying a car that stahls all the time. Can anyone say something about this?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    No, apparently the stalling never does end. Forward motion is unattainable in snow and the door handle covers fall off at the drop of a hat. Clearly, a Lexus is the way to go.

;--)
  • ypshanypshan Posts: 103
    Has anybody stalled at highway speed? I hope not since it could be outright dangerous if the driver behind doesn't slow down fast enough.

Typically you slow down if you see the brake lights come on in front of you. When a vehicle stalls, the brake lights wouldn't come on.

For safety, it's advisable to turn on the hazard signal immediately following a stall.
  • mmac1mmac1 Posts: 11
    I can comment.

I looked at the lexus as well and there was no comparison in my opinion. I lived in Australia for the last year and the lexus GX is the Toyota Prado down there. Here it is the same as the 4runner except different body and dressed up some. They are rather boring and to me are fine for driving around town. There is just nothing distinguishing about it other than they are very reliable. My buddy has one and we constantly harrass him about driving his girlfriends car....

As for the LR3. I have had mine for just over a month and I have not had a single issue. I took it skiing last weekend and it was unstoppable in the snow. The stereo is great. Some say the inside looks cheap, I think it looks great. I love the engine, the way it rides is much nicer than the lexus, I get comments all the time on how nice people think it looks. I think the engine is faster than 8 seconds for 0-60. Overall, I couldn't be happier.

I grew up outside Philly too. So the roads there are a little chewed up. Take them for a test drive. You will see there is not comparison. The air suspension is simply plush... But if you only care about history of reliability and fuel consumption. Get the lexus.... but you regret it everytime you see an LR3 on the road.
    Not sure I follow the reasoning on this one. Stalling of the engine doesn't result in the turning off of electrical circuits. Even if that were the case, most modern vehicles have live brake lights even with the ignition off (easy to check in the dark).
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Thr fill rate is based on having the parts required at one of the U.S. warehouses and not backordering them. How soon a part arrives has a great deal to do with how the retailer orders it. If it's a VOR order it ships overnight, if they order it stock it takes between a couple of days to a week.

The 97% is against the total number of parts ordered by line, not against individual parts. All of the parts count equally.

Many parts from the UK ship overnight, but there is time spent with customs clearing and transportation in the US to the warehouses that can make it take up to ten days from placing the order to getting the part to the retailer. We strive to have the parts in the US to avoid these delays.

There are some parts that are held up by supplier issues, these are generally the parts that take an inordinate time to fill. We are working to minimize these issues.
  • gw123gw123 Posts: 64
    Sounds like you work for LR. If so, I'd recommend you have LR stock up on fuel tanks/fuel pumps in the US as it seems that there may have been one too many lads at the pubs too late on Sunday night. It'd be interested to know if my car that has stalled 4 times was built on a Monday morning (or at least had the gas tank installed then).

For an earlier post that asked if the car started up again, the answer is "yes, once you stopped completely and put in in park (neutral may have worked but did not try it)".
  • teldocteldoc Posts: 49
    Fellow LR3 pilots, just noticed this tonight. You know when you turn the key on a normal car? You're engaging the starter only while you turn the key to start? On the LR3, try just turning the key for a split second and releasing it. It will complete the start process itself. Not sure how/why but it was pretty cool.
    Stalling the engine does slow down the car without brake lights being illuminated.

Think about driving on the highway where cars can reduce speed without brake lights. There is the risk of being rear ended.
    It's electronic ignition. The system will also stop cranking after a while so it wouldn't burn the components if there is a problem.
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    quote: "Mine was one of the first delivered to Louisiana, and was supposed to have all options however, no bluetooth phone capabilities, and no satelite radio"

PTI/Bluetooth was a "delayed availability" option -- it still isn't in the LR3 ordering system. There is no factory satellite radio option; it was never advertised to have one.
    What do you mean by forward motion is unattainable in snow. I thought this thing good drive forward in anything?
    Dear Scared,

As you've noted in your posts, the LR3 is always stalling and can't drive in snow, along with many other faults.

It's hard to imagine why anyone would want one after knowing that. Isn't it strange how many people have bought them and claim to love them? I guess they just don't get it.

I really can't advise you to even think about buying one because, as your name suggests, you'd never be able to relax and enjoy the drive for worrying about which of the many problems were about to befall you next.

The best vehicle for you would be one with 100% reliability from day one. I can't remember which one that is at the moment, but I'll get back to you.

Best regards,

Mac24

P.S. You obviously missed the emoticon at the end of my last post to you, so here it is again:

;--)

It's a wink, as in "Lighten up, don't take all this too seriously!"
    Now I've got it! I'd thought you meant the brake lights wouldn't work when you braked after stalling, as it seems that most of these incidents happened when braking or manouvering slowly.

My bad.

:--)
  • emolsemols Posts: 15
    Easy,now. Not ALL LR3's are stalling. As far as I have read only a handful of complaints so far-.
    It was a tongue-in-cheek reply to scared, who's only posts have been to pick up on the few teething problems that the LR3 has had, and to question why anyone would buy one.

:--)
  • maticematice Posts: 4
    OK Group - Why don't those of you both having stalling problems and those free of problems start collecting some troub leshooting information. How about seeing if you can post descriptions, pictures and/or part numbers for the fuel pumps and tanks and connect those with problem vehicles. The UK readers with the diesel units could also post their information. With this, maybe the group could really determine if these factors are really the root cause. I'd start off here but we're still driving an '04 Discovery II which by the way is nothing short of unbeliveable in the snow and glazed ice with OEM Goodyear tires. It makes our 4WD Suburban with snow tires seem like a Corvette without traction control in the snow. I've not had the opportunity to test out the LR3 in similar conditions. I hope these reports are bogus or we're going to have to reconsider what we thought would be an upgrade. Let's hear some real life experiences from seasoned drivers in their LR3's.
    Amen. I can't believe this thing can't drive in snow. Somebody who had driven it in snow, please speak up!
    Quite honestly, I've looked at the lexus and think it's goddy and the third row is a joke. I much rather buy a MDX if had the choice between the two.

Also, glad to hear this vehicle drove great in the snow. And also glad you haven't had any problems yet. Oh, by the way everyone, I am a woman! Can you believe it...a woman this interested in cars? So take it easy guys...I'm just getting the hang of this. Right now I'm between the MDX and the LR3. Hope we can get this stalling thing under control, otherwise might have to regretably choose the MDX.
    But when you touch the brake pedal even lightly the brake lights will illuminate. Also the vehicle will not slow suddenly if the engine stalls, it will be a gradual decrease.

With all of the vehicles that have had stalling issues in the past (and there have been many)there have been 0 recalls. Why do you think this is? It's because there have not been any accidents or injuries attributed to these issues.

I have had several vehicles that have stalled on me in the past, including a Honda that hated when it rained. I never had any diffculty pulling the vehicle off of the road safely and have had no close calls.

I've had more scares with people behind me trying to run a red light that I have stopped for.
    The fuel tank issue is one that has been documented and it is easily diagnosed and repaired. This was not a build issue, it was a problem with the vendor mixing the tank assemblies before shipment to the line. The tanks are externally identical so the line workers would have no way to know the incorrect tank was being fitted. There has been a process put in place to rectify this issue, so it should not be a problem in the future.
  • just wanted to know if the LR3 has a complimentary maintenance program
  • btnbtn Posts: 35
    "Amen. I can't believe this thing can't drive in snow. Somebody who had driven it in snow, please speak up!

"

As far as I know I'm the only one who has complain about it's handling in icy conditions. I found out, after the fact, that my tires were way over inflated by the dealership. This could have been the source of my problems. I'll let you know how it handles these conditions with the correct pressure, once I drive under them.

I've also experience the stalling issue, though it was only once. I will bringing my LR3 to the dealer this week. However even with these issues I have not regretted getting this car even once. Overall I love it and am constantly looking forward to driving it. I have zero regrets.
  • I've had my LR3 for a month now and it hasn't stalled once. But then I only drive it uphill. All my downhill driving is done in a Lexus. ;-)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,785
    With all of the vehicles that have had stalling issues in the past (and there have been many)there have been 0 recalls.

Actually a bunch of Escapes and Tributes were recalled to reprogram something to fix a stalling problem. That's the one that came to immediately to my mind (ABC7), but a net search is reporting stalling recalls with the BMW Z4, Dodge Viper, Grand Cherokee, etc. Unless you meant just LR's? 

It must be fun for the engineers to reproduce stuff like this.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I think I have mentioned the fuel pump issue a few times. Dont think you did Tincup & you work for LR!

From a design point of view I still cant see why LR bury the fuel pump in the gas tank.

Perhaps Lucas got involved?

I believe it was a build issue in that they did not pick up the vendor mistake & the line got them & installed them. Perhaps because the pump is buried in the tank!
  • 5 weeks, 4500 miles. All mileage includes 2500 miles return trip to florida, ski trip, icy, snowy and hilly roads. Breaking-in was done meticulously. There were no major problems such as stalling whatsoever other than a few nuisances like cargo cover did no longer retract, coolant low, key related mirror seating settings. Noticed a subtle and brief high-pitch vibration from rear transfer case at low speed climbing uphill when it picks up and crosses 15mph mark.

The truck will receive its first service this week and the issues above will be looked into. I will post after the service.

Actually putting fuel pumps in fuel tanks is now an industry wide practice. The issue isn't with the pump itself though which is easily replaced, it is within the internal structure of the tank.Also Lucas is no longer in business and is not a supplier.

I haven't mentioned this issue as I did not want people going in to retailers with their own diagnosis of the problem. There are a few cases where this was not the cause and just swapping out the tank will not fix the problem.

As I stated before from all external appearances the tanks are identical, there was no way to know the incorrect tanks were mixed in with correct ones. It is a build issue, but it has nothing to do with the assembly process or the personnel who put the cars together.
    Yes, it does in the US. It is through the warranty period.