Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• flashwookflashwook Member Posts: 2
    My HSE have the same thing, but the dealer caught it before delivery. It took them four days to sort it all out(and install bluetooth). It was a crushed fiber optic cable under the passenger seat. I guess it has become a common problem with the HSE. Make them give you a loaner cause it will take longer than they say at first. Luck.
  • kandgkandg Member Posts: 53
    After going through the majority of the posts i spent a lot of time crawling around the LR3 finding the "problem" areas. So far i've located the exposed wiring looms by the rear hydraulic cannister and pointed it out to the dealer. I'll also be looking for this fibre optic cable although i think the rattle may be due more to low frequency vibration than anything else.. Does anyone else think it silly that Land Rover decided to put the Denso Nav Player under the seat facing "forwards". Sure makes it difficult to change out system DVD's. (I had to as i need to load the European Maps into the system)
  • mrstacymrstacy Member Posts: 34
    I live in las vegas and it has been hotter than usual. We're noticing gas fumes. I know that some have associated fumes with stalling and the wrong gas tank being installed.

Does anyone have issues with fumes?

I park my car outside these days.
  • khostetlerkhostetler Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new LR3 SE V8...this is my first experience with LR.
    I want to add some accessories, specifically the a-frame brush bar and side steps.

I am a fairly mechanically inclined...

Does anyone have experience installing these? I would like to save the extreme LR labor rate of $109 per hour!

;)
  • freeflytimfreeflytim Member Posts: 20
    Cool!- Take a look at the instructions on the Land Rover GTR / LandRovertechinfo website.
    Are you sure your dealer will charge you shop rate?
    Mine put my winch/brush guard on for a flat $600 and it took one mechanic two days!
    If you plan on any offroading, Id skip the sidesteps.
  • grommetgrommet Member Posts: 445
    No Sirius for 2006... basically no changes, other than option packages. Send feedback to LR if you care at all.

FYI:

Dealers are currently taking orders for 2006 LR3s and "satellite radio" (Sirius) is not an option available, even though it is available for the 2006 Range Rover Sport which shares the exact radio system. Is this planned to be availble in the near future for LR3, or are potential buyers out of luck for MY2006? Will there be a possible "upgrade" that will be dealer installed?

Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center.

No, satellite radio is not an option for the 2006 LR3. At this time there is no information if there will be some accessory that allows it to be added later on.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-637-6837, option 9, or by e-mail.

Sincerely,
    Land Rover Customer Relationship Center
    Why is everyone so concerned? Sirius is not a difficult accessory to add on and many choices are available from the aftermarket for less than 100$ Siriusly :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wonder if this is an attempt to differentiate the Range Rover from the rest of the fleet?

Range Rover Will Get Sirius (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
    Well, because it's integrated into the head unit & a far cleaner install. That's worth $300 more to some. There is no technical reason they can't offer it since the RRS is the same platform, the same stereo head unit (with different firmware) and a special Sirius receiver module & antenna.

I guess it's possible they just didn't want to make any changes to LR3 for 2006. :confuse:
    I guess i'm just of the old school. The only stereo coming from the factory, i ever felt was "worth it" would be the Mark Levinson option in the Lexus. That being said, a good install (esp. with a superior head) can make a world of difference in the sound and appearance even besting "factory" with "custom" The sound itself, i realise is subjective.

Other than "google" and a few of the listed LR accessory sites, is there a recommended site for great off road LR3/disco products, such as cb radio's/sat phone accessories etc. These would (imho) be of more use than satellite radio. :D
    In all honestly as an audio geek, the LR3 stereo is not very good -- even in my "Logic 7" version. The problem is... due to the excessive integration, you really can't replace it or upgrade it. You are completely stuck with the expensive OEM system... so it should have as many features (like optional Sirius... and the obvious MP3 ID tag and CD Text support) as possible.
    I definitely agree with you on the "excessive integration". My BMW's have a similar HK system in them that i've never found to be that great due to the noise cancellation technology used in the car that is integrated with the audio system. But the LR3 is a heavyweight anyhow so a few more lbs of hidden audio and a secondary system won't hurt :D. I thought it might be a great idea in addition to the "options" list, there should be a delete list as well but that's what the secondary market for older defender's are for :)
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    How about Bluetooth to the radio system (phone) for 2006. Did it ever make it out on the 2005's?
    Yes, the optional "factory" PTI/Bluetooth made it in late MY2005... though the number that made it to the US would be low. Heck, even most of the RRS units I see now didn't get ordered with PTI/Bluetooth.
  • lr3_magiclr3_magic Member Posts: 18
    Well it is now going on 7 months and I still don't have my LR3 HSE that I ordered back in Dec '04. Dealer called and said he thinks it will be in next week but couldn't give me a firm delivery date. Had hoped to take it on my upcoming trip, but looks like it won't be here in time. Sounds like it will come in while i'm on vacation. Dealer indicated he wanted me to sign papers before I leave so he doesn't have to wait for his money, but I'm not signing anything until I check out the LR3 in person. If I've waited 7 months, he can wait a week! :mad:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If I've waited 7 months, he can wait a week!

I don't think I'd have as much patience as you but I certainly wouldn't sign papers until I had vehicle in hand!

tidester, host
  • doctorpdoctorp Member Posts: 15
    Man, I thought my wait of 5 months was bad, but you've got me beat! I don't know if I would even take it now. I might hold out for an '06. Maybe you could get that by sometime in 2007...
  • wesewese Member Posts: 1
    I just trialed an LR3 SE. My wife is small and I am tall, so we were disappointed to find that the memory was not available on the SE and that the power on the ignition had to be on in order to move the driver's side seat back. If I drive the vehicle after my wife, I have to reach in, get the keys in the ignition, power-up, then move the seat back for me to get in the vehicle.

Am I missing something here? Is there any chance the 2006's will be adjustable w/o keys in the ignition? We are accustomed to making this adjustment, and are not so spoiled as to require the memory (although seems silly not to have available on a $50k car), but the reach-through and fumbling with the keys from outside the vehicle is likely a non-starter for the money.

Please help if we missed something or a modification is in the works.
  • micke1micke1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought my silver LR3 SE in November, got one of the first ones on the lot. Since then I have brought it into dealership for air conditioner sensor went out (had to bring it in twice for them to fix), then my suspension failed and had to get my compressor replaced, now last night I noticed the radio came on in the vehicle when I wasn't in it and the key was not in the ignition. Has anyone had these problems? And I had to kick and scream to get a half decnt loaner the last time (they gave me a used Mercury Mountaineer). What demands do you guys make on the dealers for this type of stuff? I don't want to seem ungrateful but I didn't pay $48k for a car to have it in the shop all the time and be given crappy loaners to drive. Any advice/personal experiences would be great. Thank you. (By the way I love this automobile despite the problems, I just want to drive it more than have it in the shop).
  • urrover00urrover00 Member Posts: 3
    I had my LR3 just 3 weeks. Without warning after filling up the tank it all of a sudden started sputtering ,as if it was running out of gas. Stalled twice at the light. I was just 2 miles from home so I was determined to get the car in the driveway. The car reeked of gas which was dripping out the back, but i could swear there was some other burning smell, besides the gas fumes.
    The whole thing was a pain in the ---. Before landrover could tow it back to the dealership, had to get the fire dept. to verify that it was not a hazard to tow, which of course due to the leaking gas ...it was!!
    Eventually the gas stopped leaking.
    It's been in the shop almost 2 weeks. It took them a while to figure it out. When they first started it, it was only running on 2 cylinders and some censors were drenched in gas that must have leaked on them. It turns out the whole gas tank needs to be replaced. They said that a "few" landrovers have been having this problem. Must be since the gas tanks are back-ordered 4-6 weeks.
    They also mentioned something about a bad charcoal canister. Can someone tell me what exactly is a charcoal canister??
    Oh and get this, since there was a 4-6 week wait on repairs, they wanted me to return the the loaner LR3 and give me a rental suv.
    I contacted Customer relations and explained the situation.
    The solution they came up with is to poach a gas tank assembly from another LR3 that has about 1000 miles on it. Mine has about 650.
    I suspect the reason they are doing this is because they know that I have a planned trip to Canada and then NYC and they don't want me to put the miles on their loaner, plus I'm refusing a rental.
    I would appreciate any thoughts on both the gas tank situation and the "poaching solution" :sick:
    wese posted "If I drive the vehicle after my wife, I have to reach in, get the keys in the ignition, power-up, then move the seat back for me to get in the vehicle."

This "problem" is solved on my LR3 HSE... it powers on the seat controls for a period of time after opening the door. (And since HSE has memory seat/mirrors, it can also move the seat to a keyfob programmed position optionally).

Yes, it's really stupid the seats aren't powered just like the HSE. I complained about this SE missing feature... in additional to having "6-way" instead of "8-way" adjustments. Send feedback to Land Rover.

LR3 says no changes to '06, so I guess not enough people cared...

Of course, that would partially remove one of the 4 boring "exclusive" options the HSE has in North America (8-way memory seat/mirrors, slightly higher-end stereo with rear controls, 19" wheels & optional adaptive headlights.)
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Member Posts: 10
    My LR3 just passed 5500 miles. I have had NO issues at all! I am wondering if people are actually waiting for the 12000 mile interval for the oil change. LR will cover that one but if I decide to get one at 6000 does anyone know if LR will cover it? Does anyone think that a 12000 mile interval is okay?

Also I just traveled from the Maine coast Vermont...350 miles of state highway up and over both the White and Green Mountains. According to the trip computer I got 19.1 MPG. This was loaded with 4 people and all the STUFF for a 2 week vacation. Not bad.
    No, LR only covers the documented interval. If you want to shorten it, it's out of your pocket. You can get into a religious battle about oil change internals, so I won't make any comments. ;) But the oil change industry will clearly say that's too long. :)
  • dhwilsondhwilson Member Posts: 1
    How long did it take for the dealer to replace the compressor? We bought our LR3 SE in January. While on vacation in Montana on July 4th, the suspension system pooped out. Land Rover Roadside Assistance towed it to the nearest dealer in Spokane, Washington. They had it for a week, then it was towed to Boise, Idaho to at least get a mechanic to find out what was wrong. It's now July 19th and we the part is on back order until the end of July. And we live in Colorado, so the vehicle will have to be send via transport AFTER it's repaired, whenever that will be. We are disappointed and frustrated :(
  • koeslerkoesler Member Posts: 57
    God it's depressing to read this forum - and all the crying going on because people have a POS LR3. I've had my HSE now for 2 months and 2000 miles and NO problems except for a minor squeek in the steering wheel. My mileage has yet to drop below 18 (measured by calculator) and that includes city driving although only about 20%. So, no complaints there either, however I'm very disappointed with the engine sound on rapid acceleration - sounds like a piece of paper stuck in a bicycle wheel ...not like a 300 hp truck (like a Titan for example - which sounds badass).

I installed an after-market wood kit finally and boy does it help dress up that bland interior. Next are seat covers if I can find decent ones.

If I had to do it again, I would not choose the adaptive lights - they are a gimmick. Otherwise, everything is just right although I still don't love this vehicle like I did my Discovery II.

My oil changes are going to get done every 3750 miles even if I have to pay for every other one since the 7500 mile ones are free. But then I don't know if I'll keep this thing long enough to go that far. It's a nice vehicle, but it just does not exite me..maybe I'll go back to the Mercedes G500 ?? Now that's a truck..
    I was going to change my oil twice as often as directed. I think 7500 is way too long. How often are most of you going to do it. I can tell you about root canals, but I don't know jack squat about engines, especially fancy ones.
  • micke1micke1 Member Posts: 4
    It took five days total (this includes a Saturday and Sunday). Basically two days to get the part and one day to put it in. It sounds like it is taking way too long and you may want to call Land Rover directly to complain. My dealer overnighted the part so it must be available (I live in Central Florida) and this was on July 7th so I can't believe I got the last compressor avaialbe in the cont. US. I know it is hard not to get frustrated, I hope they have given you a very good loaner. Again, sounds like someone is blowing smoke at you, call LR.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Just like you can't keep your teeth too clean, you can't change your oil (and filter) too often.

However, whether you keep the vehicle long enough to appreciate the benefits is another matter. ;)
  • kscctsksccts Member Posts: 140
    With synthetic, every 7500 miles is plenty. :)
    I'm at 105,000 miles on my minivan with a 7,500 mile interval (on dead dino) just like my owner's manual recommends. If it was an F-16, maybe it'd deserve the pricy synthetic stuff. Why dump good oil down the drain - if you are concerned whether it's still good or not, maybe it would be better for the resource to spring for an analysis.

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Synthetic motor oil

Steve, Host
    With the small amount of oil in the average car engine (usually no more than six quarts), it's usually more cost effective to just change the oil rather than have an analysis done, especially if it's dino. Analysis is usually at least $15, versus $9 for oil and $3 for a filter.

However, on a large truck, boat, or plant where many gallons of oil are involved and bypass filtering is used, then analysis is routine and absolutely cost effective.

On a regular automobile that falls into the 'normal' range in terms of operation and servicing, I'd suggest that the benefits of 3k oil changes versus 7.5k changes won't be apparent until 100k plus, when the engine with more frequent changes will show better oil pressure, better compression, and less overall wear, deposits and possibly sludge than the engine with fewer oil changes............hence my comment on "keeping it long enough" in the earlier post.
    I think I'm on the far end of most owners since I do tend to drive them forever; if not in miles, then in years. Ten years is typical for me; 17 is my record. More frequent oil changes just seem like a waste of time and money to me. I think you're more likely to have a transmission failure over the life of the vehicle than the engine. I'm not too good about frequent tranny fluid changes either, lol.

Steve, Host
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    koesler,
    please tell us which brand of wood kit you installed, where you got it, how much it cost, how hard it was to install, did you install all the pieces or just some of them, does it have raised edges, was it flat pieces that you bent to fit or formed shapes, etc. Thanks

Also, anyone, how many quarts is the oil change?

Thanks
    Well miracles do happen! Called my dealer this morning to tell him I was leaving town and he said they had a truck outside with some LR3's on it. He didn't know what was coming in and he would have to go out and see if my LR3 ordered back in Dec '04 was on it. He called back later and said it was on the truck and I could pick it up tonight. Just in time for my trip. Hope the wait was worth it.

05 LR3 HSE7
    Alveston Red/Black
    Adaptive Lights
    Tow Package
    Heavy Duty
    3rd row Rear Seat Package w/rear Climate Control
    Cold Climate Package
    :shades:
    I did not like the price, or the "color" of the LR wood kit so I wound up with a "flat" kit from BD Trims (BDTrims.com). It's the medium walnut and the pieces are very thin and flexible when warm so the fit is excellent. And the price was $ 210. I put the wood on myself in about 3 hours. Just make sure it is positioned properly before you apply it - cause once it's there it's there. Since the pieces are very thin with slightly rounded edges, there is almost a smooth transition between the plastic and the "wood".

The LR wood has very thin strips of adhesive to hold it in place - the BDTrims stuff is covered completely on the backside with 3M adhesive, so it'll hold until the car goes to the crusher. It looks great and everyone that has seen it had positive comments. I can take pics if you want and e-mail them to you (don't know how to post them here).

I did not install all 39 pieces as I did not want overkill - just enough wood to add some "class". Veneerz.com has a 61 piece kit that includes several pieces I would like to have, so I may have to buy that kit as well. They include pieces such as door panels for the front and rear, rear console pieces, glove box accents, etc.

An oil & filter change requires 8 quarts of oil (5W-30 API-GF3 recommended). I think I'll go with Castrol 5W-30 in winter, and 10W-40 in summer (dino instead of synthetic).

Good luck to all of you, and happy "Rovering"..
  • roverfishroverfish Member Posts: 4
    I got a free oil change from the dealer after roughly 5000 miles. I think they did it because it was 6 months old (I bike commute to work so my mileage is low) and the warrantee requires an oil change every 7500 miles or 6 months of operation.

BTW, 8 months on the road (Nov. 04), 6000 miles, no problems at all, love the truck.
    It's just as important to change your oil if your mileage is low, as it is if it's high. Low mileage vehicles are usually used for short trips and the oil rarely get up to working temperature, which takes a lot longer than getting the coolant up to temperature. The oil then still retains contaminants and condensate that would otherwise have been boiled off, hence the warrantee requirement for time/mileage based changes on an either/or basis.

Personally I'd do it every four months, but then I change my oil every 3k., so you can probably put me down as anal. :)
  • lr3maybelr3maybe Member Posts: 134
    Thank you for answering my questions about the dash kit koesler.
    I too don't like the dark factory kit nor the high price. And I would't want to install every piece that comes in those kits, just some bigger ones. I'd live to see a picture or two and you could email them to me directly, but I'd bet there are others on the list that would like to see them too (maybe the host can tell us how to post a picture).
    I have some samples from BDTrims, but the samples they sent are about 3/32" thick which is not very thin. They have rounded edges. And they are synthetic, not real wood. But I didn't get a sample of medium walnut, just medium burl, light burl, and walnut burl.
    I haven't checked out veneerz.com but directcartrim.com also has a kit with they say the thinest wood veneer, and they say it's real. I don't have any samples yet.

Also, thanks for the info on the oil capacity. I have an ML320 and it takes 8.5 quarts which helps keep it cool but is expensive when you use synthetic.
    Pic posting instructions are in the Forums Help link in the left sidebar. Right now you can't upload the photo's to Edmunds so you'll need a place to host the pictures, like your homepage or one of the photo hosting sites out there.

Steve, Host
  • punterpunter Member Posts: 3
    LR offers a TDV6 diesel engine with a 6-speed manual gearbox on the LR3 overseas. Anyone have a feeling for the possibility of seeing this here in the states?

I realize that I'm probably in the minority here, but I hate driving a vehicle with an automatic transmission... and I'd be more than happy to give up the extra horsepower for a diesel.

I'm in the market for a new SUV and the LR3 offers me everything I'm looking for except a manual tranny and a diesel motor... the V8 petrol motor, I could live with (despite the deplorable mileage) but the auto might be a deal-breaker.

That being said... any ideas as to the possibility of importing a TDV6/Manual 'Disco3' from overseas (should that combination not see our market otherwise), and what would be involved in such an endeavor?

Anyone else out there wishing for a stick?
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    basically can't be done.
    Picked the LR3 up Wednesday night and took off on my trip Thursday morning. About 75 - 100 miles down the road, I get the suspension fault message and the amber icon on the far left side of the dash. It beeped for a few seconds and then said that normal suspension had been selected and everything appeared OK until a few more miles down the road and it happened again. In all it happened about 10 -15 times on the highway. Now when you lower it to access mode, it gives a suspension fault and when you accelerate away from a stop it also gives the suspension fault message. I traveled a little over a 1,000 miles on my first trip and will call the dealer on Monday to get it in to have them look at and fix. Also had the radio/navigation system lock up once where the Nav screen showed only the LR logo and the radio would play alternating loud and then soft, both on FM/AM and on CD. Turned the vehicle off overnight and everything is working fine now. So nice to wait 7 months for my vehicle and then drive it less than 100 miles and have a suspension fault. Lucking it has yet to go in the lock down mode or it would have been a terrible trip. Kept waiting for that to happen but it didn't so maybe I got lucky! :sick:
    I really feel your pain, lr3_magic - but almost all new cars have glitches. I've had 33 new vehicles so far, and only one has had zero problems (a 2000 Toy 4Runner).

My LR3 and I went on an extended trip this weekend and I'm happy to report 19.4 mpg !! That's with the A/C on at 70 mph. I fill up until I can see the fuel in the filler neck and calculate with a calculator so I know it's pretty correct. The car's computer had shown 19.6, so I believe it now...I even saw 20.2 mpg on occasion...

and so far NO problems at all with the vehicle (except for that creaking steering wheel).

Oil: I changed the oil & filter on my 1990 Toyota V6 religously every 3000 miles and at 200,000 the engine was completely gunked up with sludge (found out when the oil pressure went to zero and the valves started rattling). So, in my new Toyota I use full synthetic oil - will see what happens when I pull the pan at 100,000 miles to have a look. I do not plan to use synthetic in the LR3 and I'm extending my intervals to 3750 miles.

Again, good luck to all of you..
    I had that light go on also. The dealer said it was ok to drive it like that until they replaced a part (a sensor?). However it had changed to a red warning light and said not to drive over 30 mph. The message was intermittent, and would go away if I restarted. They replaced the part and everything was fine. For a while.
    A couple of weeks ago the red light came on again. I was just getting on the highway to go to work, so I decided to just keep going because the LR dealer was right by my office. The truck's message was "Suspension slowly raising" and it was driving like it was too high. It felt top heavy. All of a sudden my rear tire blew and shredded and the truck dropped really low. I pulled over and had to get towed. Had I gotten the message at start up I would have taking my wife's beetle and left my LR3 home, but I was halfway there.
    The dealer told me they think the tire was leaking and got real low and then blew, but I don't know. They were going to charge me about $250 for the tire, but then decided to put it under LR's good will and did it at no charge. That was nice. I really can't say that I believe they are correct, but it's impossible to tell because the tire was all chewed up.
    So anyways, if the truck gives you a warning, listen to the truck.
    I'm starting to wonder if some of these "suspension fault" error messages aren't due to driver error and having the suspension switches on the wrong setting? Any thoughts? I purposely put the left toggle switch to "high" to see if i could duplicate any error message and got an error stating the car will move "up and down" (travelling at approx. 10 mph) Pulling over and lowering to "normal" fixed the problem. Only odd quirk that's happened so far was during driving yesterday and having the cd player on, it switched mid-song playback to FM mode but i wonder if my palm might have bumped the "mode" switch on the steering wheel..

Also, mileage seems to be as bad as advertised..if you go by the average on the fuel computer (which is taking the sum of the lowest re: acceleration and cruising, you'll get odd low figures such as 13.8 mpg etc) I drove from Wurzburg to Amberg (to my autobahn exit approx. 105 miles) and a little less than a quarter tank. This calculates to about 19.04444 mpg which given speeds ranging with the cruise control for about 80 mph and LR3's weight being 5000lbs plus, I believe is quite incredible.

In answer to the guy wishing for a manual and TDi..the only premium brand truck that might offer you that in the near future seems to be BWM with the x5 3.0 with manual standard (it's currently a gasoline inline 6 but a great torquey motor with same spec towing capacity as the 4.8is X5) and the newer Mercedes ML's CDi's which i was perusing the brochure last night. The ML won a comparison test between the X53.0 and Touraeg in "auto bild" this month but i think you might be hard pressed to find a manual tranny in those sadly.

'84 defender's can be had for about 5000 euro though! :)

Sat in the RR sport yesterday..special one without badges done also in buckingham blue (thought it was my LR3 from the front actually then noticed the sport seats and perforated plastic grill) Since it was unbadged (no RR sport designation) i thought it might have been a new freelander (it looks small, folks) I have to say, I'd find it hard to chose this over the LR3 which is a much better value. The RR sport is small comparatively such as an X5 and with the next gen BMW x5 and Audi Q7 coming soon, i don't know if i'd plunge for this particular one. The same auto bild rated this as the best "driver's premium truck" but really, if you want that, i'd suggest sticking with the Cayenne or a car. The good news for LR3 owners appears to be, if you want to retrofit the supercharger it looks very possible.
    My suspension fault message comes on when the vehicle is parked and I push the access level down to lower the vehicle for entry. It lowers and then the fault message comes on and then raises again to normal level all while the vehicle is stationary. When it is in normal suspension level on the highway, I get a suspension fault message when accelerating away from a stop. The acceleration causes the front to move up and the suspension fault message comes on. Suspension settings are where they should be for normal on-road driving so this is not a case of driver error. With the reports of compressor problems I'm wondering if the high outside heat factor in Texas and Arkansas where I was traveling was a component of the failure. Daily temps have been from 95 - over 100 degrees F during my trip. :sick:
    One of the incentive of being in the military that we got pricing based on the inital price quote from the manufacturer, $39,000 for SE and $44,000 for the HSE. We don't pay sales tax nor we pay luxury tax (Folks, we don't get paid much based on our line of job compare to civilian counterpart). We are stationed overseas and Land Rover also pay shipping back to the states for free. This also applies to all PAG (Premiere Auto Group), Volvo and Jaguar. If you want to get the price deal that you certainly hard to believe, it's easy, JOIN the military and take a chance to serve your country and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Hey Gothope,

Just curious about this deal you got...

How'd you manage it?
    ...I'm also in the military, but I haven't been privied to any special deals that we get on vehicles. Am I missing something?

Is it related to the fact that you're stationed overseas, or is this something I can work on here in the states?

I'm planning to get a new vehicle in the comming months, so any help you can offer woul dbe greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    scott
    I'm answering for Gothope but the overseas deals are sanctioned by the factory with dealers usu. located off post and also open to government employees. If you go to the lr sites (volvo, bmw, porsche) there should be a link for government or military sales. The only criteria being you find your financing, commit to a build for 1000$ down and that's about it. There's a checklist of what is available for your future car (such as premium or sport packages) Right now, he's correct, for the next 3 years, LR will be offering free shipping to the U.S. if you buy it overseas. They don't tell you this but although the warranty is covered, we do not get the free standard maintenance with. Only BMW seems to offer this now
    Fantastic!!!

Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to look into it right now.
    :)
    Took my LR3 in today for the suspension fault when lowering. They called this afternoon and said it was caused by the vehicle being in transport mode. Since I took delivery last Wednesday, 7/20, I asked if they had not preped my vehicle properly when I took delivery. Didn't get an answer whether they forgot to take it out of transport mode or if it could default back into it. Service advisor said they did a re-boot of the system and everything was checking out ok. I specifically asked if they had tested the air suspension by raising and lowering the vehicle and she said they had and everything was normal. When I picked the LR3 up, the service advisor had already left. When I got in the vehicle to drive away, I lowered the vehicle to access level to test to make sure it was fixed and guess what -- same suspension fault message as when I brought it in this morning. I turned it off and back on and same problem. This dealership is a combined Land Rover/Jaguar dealer and the only Service Advisor was the Jaguar one. I asked for a LR tech, but they had all left. I went through the lowering process and showed the Jaguar advisor the message and problem. I left the vehicle and took the LR3 SE loaner back home.

Needless to say My first experience with Land Rover is not starting out on good footing. My salesman was not in at the time so no help from that side. Bottom line is I order an LR3 HSE back in Dec. '04 and wait seven months for delivery with little to no information as to when to expect the vehicle. I've had it 5 days and it will now be in the shop for it's second visit/day. Haven't gotten the Land Rover new buyer survey, but will be interesting how I decide to reply based on experience so far.

One other note. Stopped at my house with the loaner LR3 SE tonight and placed transmission in Park and tried to set the parking brake. Guess what doesn't work on the loaner. Got a red flashing parking brake sign and parking brake error message. Turned the car off and back on and still have problem with it. Will try later tonight to see if it will reset itself. Just :sick: or :lemon: Wating to decide!