Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• I called the dealer today to check on my car. The mechanic I talked to mentioned that he has to call LR UK for the fix. LR UK instructed him to change the configuration of the car (what that meant I have no clue). He said everything looks OK after the update but would like to keep the car for another day. He will test drive it around the block tomorrow to make sure it's trouble free.
  • gw123gw123 Posts: 64
    I have this same problem in my Lexus LS430. I complained to the dealer - but they said this was a normal part of the "throttle by wire" or something similar. I think it's unnerving but doesn't seem like anything that will be fixed. They said the LS was "searching" for the right gear. As my model was the first year of a 6 speed, and the LR3 also has a 6 speed, this may just be related to the lower gear ratios.
  • Tzo:

Your experience may say more about who was responding to your inquiry than anything else. I drove over to the dealership and my experience, to-date, has been very good (well, about as good as buying a car can be!). We test drove the LR3 and the Range Rover, and they answered all of our questions. The sales rep that I spoke to was low pressure, and I like that.
  • ronprxronprx Posts: 24
    Stopped by the RB LR dealer to discuss stall issues. At least this time they admitted a problem. They currently believe that stalls are attributed to fuel tanks.

The first step is to admit you have a problem. "AA 4 LR""
    That's an old theory that has been disproven by a number of owners.

LR has just tested a programming change that is coming out now.

Let's hope this fixes the problem once and for all.
  • tzotzo Posts: 95
    iragood, I agree totally. I have no fault at all with how Encino LR handled me. I wished only to point out that they were low pressure and letting me make the move to the next step.
  • rea9390rea9390 Posts: 19
    Anyone know of a good source of info on how the LR3 limited slip actually works. I know a little about other limited slips but have not been able to find any info on the LR3 setup....
  • ronprxronprx Posts: 24
    Yes. I know this based on the info here. My pint, is that they "the dealer" still believes that it is the fuel tank. Scarry that we (the folks here) know more than the folks selling these things.
    Take this for what's it worth - but my dealer now has the CD containing the corrected code for what they believe is a transmission problem that is causing the downhill stalls. We'll get the new code installed tomorrow and then the dealer states that he has to ship the new CD to another dealer that is having similar stalling problems. This is all supposedly very new and LR had to wait for the EPA to validate the new programming.

You may want to ask you dealer about this theory on the stalling issue.
  • bkleo123bkleo123 Posts: 1
    Im looking to get the LR3 and the mission viejo dealership is close by and I was wondering if someone has dealt with them before and what they thougt
  • I bought Mission Viejo's first HSE in November. Walked onto the lot and saw a lot of SEs which they tried to sell me. I told them to call me when you get an HSE - and they said, as I was walking away, they had one! It was hiding, apparently. About a 20+ person waiting list. I said I'm ready to drop the dollars today so I waited while they went through the list - 36 hours.

Some wanted the 7 seat option, others wanted a different color, but several were out of town and unable to get to the dealer to plunk down the money. Presto - I'm at the head of the queue.

Love the vehicle; no major problems though the nav is a bit idiosyncratic. I had it off-road once and it performed admirably.

All in all a great dealership.
  • doctorpdoctorp Posts: 15
    What grade of gas do you put in your LR3? Is putting in the more expensive stuff really better?
    I've driven Explorers for about 8 years and will finally be getting my LR3 in about a month. I've always put Indian reservation gas in my explorers because I never liked them and they were leases, but I've also never had a problem with Reservation gas. I just don't know what a Jaguar motor requires. I'm paying over $50K for this SUV, so it seems silly to skimp on cheap gas, but I just want to know if it actually matters. Thanks for any info.
  • winston1winston1 Posts: 10
    I've got 3000 miles on my LR3. I hoped to get by with regular because I live at around 6000 feet. I tried the cheap stuff for a month and noticed a slight drop in fuel economy (1 mpg) and performance so I switched back to premium. If I'm going to an even higher elevation, like a trip to the mountains, then regular is fine. Tony
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    LR3's higher compression engine has a 91 octane minimum recommendation, which is typical on this class of engine. That doesn't mean the engine won't "work" under 91 octane... just that it works most effectively with 91 octane in most conditions. But why would you want to save ~$.20 per gallon when blowing $50K on the LR3?
  • Hiya, I have been trying for the past couple hours to program my key remote to activate the suspension.

Has anyone tried this and succeed?

This is what I have been attempting:

1. Turned off vehicle

(within the minute)
    2. Hold down Land Rover button
    3. Press down suspension knob

I even pressed the hazzard button.
    also tried with the key out ignition.

still no luck. anyone?

cheers!
    I haven't tried this because it is my understanding that the suspension will only lower with the key fob when the engine is running. From what I've read/been told, you in effect need 2 keys to make this work. The intent was to have the LR3 lower when you were attaching a trailer. You would need one key in the ignition and 1 key with you when you wanted to lower the LR3 to the trailer.

It doesn't make sense to me but this is what I've been told. If you do get it to lower with no key in the ignition, let us know as the "access" mode would be nice to activate when trying to enter the vehicle.
  • vtsailguyvtsailguy Posts: 10
    Anyone know how to disable the "beep" when you lock the doors? Does it require dealer programming?
  • "I have been trying for the past couple hours to program my key remote to activate the suspension."

"Air Suspension Control
    This facility is programmed by pressing the
    ’Land Rover’ button and, keeping it pressed,
    pressing the suspension control switch.
    A chime from the instrument panel buzzer will
    now confirm successful programming of the
    remote’s button.
    Programming of this function must be done
    within one minute of switching off the engine.
    Pressing and holding the button while pressing
    the lock button on the remote will now cause
    the air suspension to rise, provided that the
    hazard warning lamps have been switched on.
    Pressing and holding the button while pressing
    the unlock button on the remote will cause the
    air suspension to lower, provided that the
    hazard warning lamps have been switched on.
    If any button is released during the raising or
    lowering of the suspension, all movement of
    the suspension will stop. It will restart once the
    buttons are pressed again." From Owner's Manual, P.38

The car doesn't need to be running to use this feature.
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    After a month or so of following this board and asking your advice, I picked up a black-on-black LR3 SE7 last Saturday. A week or so earlier I insisted that that the dealer let me take their demo out on my own for about an hour...they hesitated but finally gave in. I drove it back to back with an X5, as they are also a BMW dealer - what a difference, no contest - the LR3 was so much smoother, quicker, refined and offers so much more $ for $. The 3-mile loop I drove previously really wasn't enough to demonstrate the difference between the 2 trucks. No faults or stalls yet, but I do get a clanking within the steering mechanism when I turn the wheel to the max.(?) - I'l have to keep an eye on this - anyone else get this?
    Also woke up to 8" snow this morning, the LR3 drove like the pavement was dry.
  • hung3hung3 Posts: 28
    I am sending my car to the dealer this Thursday. When I called to make an appointment, the service guy asks if the car stalled. I hope this little warning light issue does not turn out to be a major one. Hope this is just a car programming issue which can be updated with their computers.
    I will definitely ask about it at the dealer. Thanks for your info. Let's see how it turns out.
    Thanks.

I remembered that there was something you had to do to get the fob to work. I would prefer to be able to use the fob to lower the vehicle as I approached it. There still is the problem that you have to open the vehicle, turn on the hazard, then you can use the fob to lower the vehicle. By then, you're in the truck and can lower it manually.

Thanks for clarifying the use of the fob. Better that what I explained but still not what I would prefer.
  • fidhleirfidhleir Posts: 4
    Be sure, as noted in the instructions you quoted, that the hazard lights are on when you try it. Also be sure all doors are closed. They don't want you lowering a door onto a curb or some such thing.

It's lame that you have to turn on the hazards, which is the most remote button on the dash, to lower the truck. Not sure what that one's all about, but it works for me. Unfortunately, opening the door, turning on the hazards, closing the door, then holding down 2 buttons on the remote, all just to make the thing more "accessible", is a bit less than useless, IMHO.
  • jsfmdjsfmd Posts: 4
    I managed to get it to work, but damned if I know how I did it since it took about 10-15 minutes to program it. I do know that once programmed, you need to put on the flashers, then push the Land Rover button and hold it down with the lock or unlock key to make the car raise or lower.
  • jsfmdjsfmd Posts: 4
    The barrier works very well. We have two boxers who fit nicely and now can't climb up into the seats to try to sit in our laps. It is a bit of a nuisance to remove, though, as it requires removing a number of connectors, then storing the barrier itself. Also, when the barrier is in, the cargo cover can not be used.
  • winston1winston1 Posts: 10
    Despite all the little nit-picking we do on this site, I think we'd all agree that going with the LR3 over the X5-or really any other SUV is a hugely good call. Congratulations! Tony
  • guess402guess402 Posts: 11
    The reason you have to turn on the hazard lights is because this feature, I am told, is intended to help with getting a trailer connected to the LR3 not to make the car more accessible I know I wish this were not the case. I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck getting the volume on the park distance control turned up I know I can't even hear mine if my windows are down in the city.
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    Yes, the remote lowering/raising is only intended for easing trailer hitching and nothing else. The hazard light switch requirement is there to prevent accidental use.

I guess some people would get a kick out of raising and lowering their vehicle remotely before entering. Sorry, the car will have to stay in access/lowered mode while it's parked if you want to enter in access/lowered mode. ;)
  • Ive put 1000 miles on my Disco/LR3 so far and on the first day I did have some complaints/suggestions. After a few days of driving it, I now can’t even remember what they were. I totally got used to whatever was bothering me. The only thing I can think of is that the truck is too ‘tight’ and quiet…. I drive 90mph everywhere. I don't even drive my M3 like Im driving this thing! It has ZERO road or engine noise. Im expecting at least two tickets in 12 months! It rained yesterday and I took the truck out for the sole purpose of trying to get it ‘loose.’ I couldn’t. When the streets are wet, you do not have to slow down. Yeah, that’s nuts. That’s why I love it.
    No stalls, no squeaks or rattles. I can’t wait to get it in the mud.
  • jamesj525jamesj525 Posts: 13
    Thanks for the feed back on the dog barrier. I think it'll be worth it to keep the front seats nice. We hit the beach three or four times a week and a wet sandy dog on that nice leather just isn't going to cut it.

So I've had the LR3 for two weeks now. I bought it with 3000 miles on it and have added about 500 more. They assured me it had no problems in the first 3000 miles so I felt like it was a sure thing. I had also read this forum and discussed it with our sales rep extensively (they actually brought up this forum). Unfortunately, the third day we had it, it broke. It said something about a transmission error and then turned all systems off. Turned out the rear locker froze so they replaced the whole rear differential. In order to get it done, they pulled a dif out of an LR3 sitting on their sales lot and put it in mine (the replacement won't get here for at least two weeks). I didn't have to ask, complain or even look at them funny, they just did everything they could to get me back in it asap (gave me an 04 disco in the mean time).

I think it was a fluke and I don't think it's any indication of the quality of LR3's in general. Both the salesman and the service rep said this is the first problem they've had. No stalls. However, I would definitely pay more if I had to for a dealer I trusted. Our dealer has been outstanding in the way they've handled us both during the purchase and the break down (LR San Jose).

I also think it's funny that people talk about stalls and in the same post talk about how much they love the truck anyway. I freaked out when it first went in (Friday) but by Monday all I could think of was how bad I wanted it back! I took it to the snow yesterday and it was great. I could write a ton of praise, but I think it's all been said already! I love it!
  • i recently test drove the lr3--impressive vehicle. anyway, is it possible that the stalls near stops are when you are in manual shifting mode? my lr sales-guy said that it stays in whatever gear you're in if you're using manual mode. this could conceivably account for the low speed stall--too high gear, too low speed. just a thought.

also, have an offer on the table from my dealer on a blue hse with adaptive lights, cool box, tow package, and convenience package. frankly, i don't need/want the 3rd row. it is at a discount from msrp and the car is via dealer trade. haven't made up my mind as to whether i'm going to pull the trigger yet. wish i could get it without nav, though.