Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• Out of curiousity, I am interested in asking some of the LR3 owners on this forum who were previous Disco II owners, to give their opinions on the differences.

I currently own a 2001 Disco II and am at a crossroad whether to keep my Disco II and purchasing the extenended warranty till about 90k or trade it in and get an LR3. Even with all the quirky traits of the disco...i do still like it very much.

Any thoughts?
  • lr_saleslr_sales Posts: 13
    There is a proctetant they put on all the plastic, vinyl and leather services on brand new cars that are shipped. Its kind of a UV protectant stuff and if it is not cleaned off after a while it turns to a white haze. Sounds to me like the detail shop at your dealership did not do a good enough job of throughly cleaning the vehicle before delivery. Try and clean a section of it yourself with some high quality vinyl/plastic cleaner. I have found Meguiars NXT protectant does ok for Walmart off the shelf stuff. If that does clean it up take it back to your dealership and have them redetail the inside of your car.
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    I was in your exact same situation a few months ago. I had a 2003 Disco II that I loved. I was coming to the end of my lease and was going to purchase it and buy an extended warranty for $2800 from Land Rover. I decided, rather than buy the extended warranty for the Disco II to just lease a new LR3. After a month of driving the LR3 you will forget all the things you liked about the Disco because simply it a superior car. It rides like a lux car, has tons of power and the ergonomics have been fixed. You will love it.
  • I have had my LR3 since December 2004. It has been at the dealer 5 times for a suspension fault.

They said vehicle was in transport mode by default. Picked up vehicle and within one day message returned. Took back and they replaced the compressor. Problem occurred again. Said battery was giving fluctuating voltage. Changed battery and within a week problem returned. Land Rover told dealer to replace compressor and relay. They said they drove vehicle for a few days and problem did not return. I picked up the vehicle and within 2 miles of leaving the dealer fault message returned. Vehicle has been at dealer for another week and I do not know what they are doing. They have been good to me in giving me quality replacement vehicles to drive, but I am concerned.

I have been offered 2 months of lease payments for my inconvenience but have not accepted because I an concerned I could not use the CA lemon law if I accept.

Perplexed in CA.
  • I agree, I got my LR3 on Feb29th and have been back at the dealer 1or 2 times each month since for a variety of issues. Suspension fault(new sensor and compressor), knocking/rattling noise in roof(new sunroof assembly)after 4/5 tries, chaffing side panels, warning lights going on all the time, headliner out of place(pending), leaking water through front door and headliner(new).I cannot believe that such a prestigious and expensive vehicle can be so lousy. I am looking to return the car under the :lemon: law and go elsewhere. Has anyone else had to do this.....HELP!!!!!!!
  • The oil change interval is every 7500 miles, not every 12000 miles. Your first 6 service visits are covered.
  • Try to escalate it with Land Rover Customer Care first. They are easy to deal with and can get things done quickly. Lemon law, on the other hand, takes an extremely long time (well over a year). Once you file, you can't really use customer care any more.
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    LandRoverOwner, Lemon Law isn't "well over a year" (at least in California). Normally, the manufacturer will offer to do the replacement or buy-back if you clearly meet the Lemon Law requirements and follow the process... even before formal arbitration begins. With the full process, it's still not "well over a year."
  • nbarconbarco Posts: 14
    I am in Vilseck, Germany.....Bluetooth is not supposed to be standard option, so double check, as it will be expensive to install at a later date. I will be taking it in for service on the 16th. They will have to fix the rattling.......warranty..........
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    Regarding the interior door panel "hazing" - I don't remember seeing it when I first took delivery. I think appeared after I starting cleaning areas from time to time, and it seems to worsen when you try to clean it with a sponge & water alone. I did hit a small area with an ArmorAll wipe (non-shine type) - it did darken it up, but I'm not crazy about wiping down all the door panels.

It's definitely different than the scuffs you get on all black interiors.
  • Well, I have a BMW lemon law case going in PA right now, and we filed April 2004 & we still haven't had our arbitration hearing, which is in August. THAT is well over a year. And we're still paying every month on a car that has caught fire 3 times & so above and beyond meets the standards of lemon law it is ridiculous. The court system is very slow, and it doesn't have to do with the manufacturer, just the court system.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,417
    Pennsylvania's lemon law looks to be among the weaker ones from a consumer viewpoint; limited time to complain, etc. (Autopedia)

If you think you have a lemon, it may be a good idea to get a free consultation with a lemon lawyer to make sure that time doesn't run out on your options while you are working with the dealer or manufacturer.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• trm2trm2 Posts: 42
    Regarding the "hazing" on the inside of the doors that several people have mentioned, I also have it and have tried multiple things to remove it: dusting; wet clean rag; armor-all cleaning wipes, soap and water. All failed. The hazing came back--worse--within a day or two.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I used armor-all LEATHER cleaning wipes; and it seems to work. This is probably not good for the plastic surface, but it looked so bad that that I was willing to chance it. And, so far, the hazing has not returned.
  • codicodi Posts: 2
    I purchased my LR3 HSE in early August 2005 from a So Cal dealership and am having the same problem with the suspension fault light. I took the car in after driving it for only 2 days; they kept the car 2 days and said they fixed it. As with you, after driving it for a short distance, the fault light came back on. They are going to try to fix it again next week.

Also had the following problems:
    1. airbag fault light came on after having driven the car a whopping 2 miles. They had to replace the airbag and it seems to have fixed the problem.
    2. The ignition lock was sticking; they have ordered a new lock and will replace.

The people at the dealership are cooperative enough, but it seems that their (or Land Rover's) quality control isn't very good and they can't fix things right the first time.

Anyone else with a suspension light fault? What did they do to fix it?
  • lr3x3lr3x3 Posts: 2
    i had the dealer install the bluetooth set-up on my lr3. Very pricey and i get complaints that i am difficult to hear from my callers.

is anyone else having this problem?
  • kandgkandg Posts: 53
    We're also in Vilseck. I think my wife knows your wife, lol..they parked next to each other by the clinic sometimes..we have the buckingham blue LR. I know it's not standard and personally i don't really care if we do have it as the less integration between devices the better (my nokias all have hands free that work just fine) Where are you heading for service? (A friend of mine says that the closest LR dealership she knows of is in Nurnberg) Let me know if they are able to take care of the speaker enclosure vibration (it's because of all that plastic and clips (no dynamat)
    I am using the dealer in Weiden. It is the same dealer that I used for my Volvo. The dealer is not great by US standards, but it does have the most experience in dealing with American spec vehicles and customers. They are good at worksmanship, but lack where the rest of the country does....customer service. I know that is the problem with the speakers, but that is something they are going to have to fix, as they do not market rattling speakers. They market a high end audio system. They may come up with that solution ultimately. Yes, I htink our wives know each other, as she told me she met the person with the other Land Rover....Tell her to get with my wife and we could discuss more...also I have the NAV DVD for Europe and a way to burn it if you are interested......
  • rea9390rea9390 Posts: 19
    LR3 fully equiped, 6K miles, 6 Mos only problems have been a loose 12 volt outlet, and a rear lift gate squeek, both of which where fixed on the first try. Sorry about everyone with a recurring problem. I think more and more on the newer high tech vehicles if you get a bad one the dealer is going to have a tough go at fixing them. I think they should have a quick exchange program for expensive high end vehicles, especialy on new model roll outs, two attempts to fix a serious problem and then if they can't get it done....Just exhange the vehicle for a new one! I know this is a big economic expense for the mfg but look at the consumer left paying big bucks for an unreliable vehicle. :)
  • rea9390rea9390 Posts: 19
    the way I see it: SE for some off road use, HSE for almost no off road use. This is with the factory tire wheel combos. The HSE wheel is actually a better size to get an off road tire for.
    Well the only solution is to take the grills, surrounds and door panels, then reseat with freq. absorbing material in the door. Again, they may consider this "high end", but it's consumer grade electronics as in "not audiophile" stuff that's sold at "Best Buy" Circuit City and it's ilk ( Harmon industries, {JBL, Infinity, HarmonKardon}) (logic 7 is only a DSP matrix that is an offshoot of the old citation 7 processor,i believe and that tech was 1st generation dolby pro logic from many moons ago) so good luck..If they don't meet your satisfaction re: customer service, you have two options, confront the dealer that sold the car and lean on them to get things done (this is what i'm doing) or go through LR NA which is what i've already done, asking them to address quality control issues such as exposed wiring looms, poor quality orange peel paint and the aforementioned speaker rattle which i'm sure they're aware of from these forums.
    Thanks for the offer regarding the Nav DVD but we already have two of them (one that's used and one that's a backup) i found in Great Britain courtesy of eBay..and i got it for a tidy sum of about $5.00 so 300Euro discount from what the dealer was offering.

Incidentally, i've never had a problem with Service here regarding cars. I have great service from the bmwautohandlers for my bimmers, here in Amberg (Koch/JB Lell), Saubersdorf (Stauner) and Regensburg (Hoffman) and they have been more than accomodating. I'm fluent in german so that may help. :) I don't feel so guarded here as the germans do the work that needs to be done and don't invent problems in the cars like they do stateside (of which i've had this happen but that's a another story) I actually had to confront a stateside honda dealer's service manager as to what the supposed problem was (of course it was at least "$700") Turned out they forgot to reconnect my ECU and tried to pull a fast one as to why the car wasn't starting saying it was a problem with the distributor and ignition.

I am disappointed in LandRover's presence here in Germany but truly wasn't expecting much of a British Marque's influence here. I'm disappointed that we don't get the "free scheduled maintenance" but it's the standard 4.4litre jaguar engine which i'm familiar with. Besides, i can change my own oil. I even had to ask them to provide me with a loaner car and got one through our dealership as BMW does this for me without question. They even wash my car before returning it to me. :shades:
    I am currently awaiting my BMW 530i. It should be here next month. I guess I will take you advise and use the Amberg dealership. As far as, the Volvo dealership, do not expect the same level of service as BMW. I have to go to my salesperson here in Vilseck and have her call the dealer to pressure them into doing the right thing. (ie: Loaner, warranty vs. excuse to charge, etc...) On the 15th, I have an appointment to take care of the back middle seat, as it fell apart at the seams, the rattling speakers, oil change, driver's side window problem, and a poor job at installing the door moldings. Let's see what happens.....If you decide to take on the dynamat job yourself, I would like to see how you do it...I would like to possibly do the same. I cannot really complain about the quality of the sound. I find it to be adequate, except for the annoying rattling. I ordered my Bimmer with the Logic 7, too.
    Thanks,
    Nolan
    For my LR3, i'm thinking of doing a separate audio install as i would like an audiosetup to my liking (preference in Amps/separates) I also want to install a better dvd system than the one they have for the rear seat (the generic player doesn't do it for me and i'm not sure of it's reliability). I also am not fond of it's location with it flipping down from the ceiling and possibly obscuring vision

The BMW you will love if you are more of a "driver" (i drove my wife's friend's V50 and it didn't have the right "feel" to me so guess i'm never going to be a volvo guy) With BMW, be prepared for silly little things to go wrong such as window and sunroof actuators to fail (second tier suppliers) that BMW never has seemed to remedy. On our E46's, they both had control arm and bushing failures but i think that's a small price to pay for the level of agility the cars exhibit (the 5 is a slightly different animal) There is a site called alldata, believe..google it to be sure..and it has all the recall and TSB numbers for cars that come up. Re: the stereo in BMW. Back in the early 90's BMW used to use some decent A/D/S drivers(speakers) for the stereo setup (same as Land Rover i believe on the earlier discos). When the E46 chassis came out, i'm not sure who they switched to but i assume it was proprietary HK (i could be wrong) The system is of course touted by BMW but to audiophiles, it carries some sort of noise cancellation algorithm that tends to affect certain frequencies thereby creating a somewhat "dead" soundstage. The problem is not considered major for people who aren't truly picky but if you are a stereo guy, it could drive you nuts. The little ghetto setup i installed in my miata sounds more "live" but that's due to a good head unit, Old School RF mosfet amplification and Boston Separates in the door followed by a sub set at the proper cutoff. I'm sure it's subjective, however..oh and i-drive isn't as bad as everyone bitches..notice how all the cars are going to some sort of interface? The worst has been DCX COMAND imho.

Funny thing, we also had a poorly installed moulding (rear passenger on the driver's side)

Did you get your LR3 from Autopieper? We had an appt. to look at one there but it turned out to be a demo and it was located in Stuttgart. The price she wanted was a little too high for a vehicle with miles (you could get a brand new one for a few bucks more)

You might be closer to the Pressath BMW dealer, no? If you buy from Andy (Automobile shopping center) then you'll take delivery there and he probably has something setup for you to have the car serviced there. I go to Koch because it's closer to where i live.

Btw, congratulations on the new 5. The styling grew on me in a way i didn't expect. And when people tell you it's a Bangle design, correct them and say it was designed by the dutchman, Adrian. I would like to buy a classic or something to go around to the car shows (hence one of the reasons for the LR3---towing..)with but i'm torn..esp. if the car companies keep making desirable new cars. I'd like to buy an m5, perhaps after the 1st year long term test information is released but for that money, i may jump marques again and go to Porsche or Aston (childhood dreams)..then there's that new Jag replacement for the S type in 2008..decisions decisions. :P
  • 913jvc913jvc Posts: 3
    I am seriously thinking about getting an LR3. I have a lease deal in K.C. for 2K down and 495 mo for 24 mo on a V8. After reading the discussions I question weather this car has serious problems as many are evoking the lemon law. Wonder if anyone would advise to buy or move on to other choices and further is this deal good?
    I think you'd have to examine the bigger picture. Every first year vehicle will have issues and the more reliant these vehicles become on computers.. well let's just say that Windows still has Service Packs. There isn't a car manufactured since my 91CRXsi that hasn't had a TSB issued for something or the other. The decision ultimately lies in whether or not you feel the problems are within your level of tolerance. It would be hard to base your decision on the few that are posting here (i'm sure there are a lot more than just 2000 LR3 owners worldwide) and most probably don't even know about this forum. Plus most people will respond to forums only to complain about problems dealt with (a good thing) but rarer still are those who write in to compliment their vehicle and it's manufacturer.

Someone once said that there is a direct correlation between the price of a vehicle and the amount you're willing to deal with it's idiosyncracies...eg. Ferrari and the $2500 timing belt change every 15000 miles. But you'd argue.."it's a Ferrari.."
  • teldocteldoc Posts: 49
    Don't be confused. We're in St Louis and got our LR3 SE8 back in December. 10,500 miles later we could not be happier with this truck and would recommend to anyone. It is extremely competent 4-wheeler and a joy to drive. Pull the trigger 913jvc! You'll be glad you did.

David
    St. Louis
    Chawton White with black leather
  • 913jvc913jvc Posts: 3
    Appreciate the input.
    Thanks
    Joe
    Kansas City
  • We bought the HSE almost a month ago also from southern california dealership. So far I have seen the suspension fault 4-5 times. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday. Also when I increase the sub woofer level, it doesn't seem to make any difference on the sound. Is anyone else having this issue?
  • gothopegothope Posts: 5
    You might want to share a copy of the navigation DVD. I am stationed at Wuerzburg Hospital and mailing a copy to APO should not be much trouble. Nbarco, since you have a backup you may want to sell me the other one. Please contact me at muchae@hotmail.com. Thanks.
    About hazing of door panels, Yes, I have noticed this when we got back last week from our 3-week vacation. I thought my kids were rubbing some white stuff with their filthy hands or scuffing it with their dirty shoes. But I also noticed that on the driver side. I don't think you can get rid of the white stuff by cleaning it with water. I tried to rub it with my firger but didn't do anything.
  • Hello:

I recently purchased a loaded LR3 SE. Has ~2000 miles on it now. About 3 weeks ago my wife pulled it into the garage and noticed that fuel was pouring out of the rear of the car. She had just filled the tank. Gas cap was in place. We called our dealer to discuss the problem and they said to bring it in immediately. On the way to the dealer the LR3 died at stops lights. This was three weeks ago and that last time we have seen our LR3. LR service states that there is an issue with the fuel system design and that it is being redesigned. Recall??? Problem is that the parts are not available yet so we have paid for a $50,000+ car that we have not driven in almost a month. LR dealer has been great and provided a rental, but if I wanted to drive a jeep I would have purchased one.

Anyone else experience this problem?

BTW - This is our 4th LR over the past 6 years. Disco 1, Disco 2, Defender 90 and now an LR3. So I am an experienced LR owner and have always enjoyed the cars.

Thanks
    I tried an interesting little experiment today. I took some of the CD's that i know have enough low freq. hum to rattle the speaker surrounds on the LR3 and played them but adjusted the Bass -2 increments. I boosted the treble to +2 and then boosted the sub to +2 or 3 (preference and subjective). Fader was set mostly towards the rear (perhaps 2 or 3 increments in favor of the rear speakers) but this improved front imaging immensely and also...voila..no more rattle/hum out of the fronts mid/bass drivers. The tweets are a little more prominent due to the adjustment and therefore bring up a better center stage image. I don't know who made the decision for the speaker driver placement but i would never have designed it in such a manner which i think contributes to the rattle so prevalent in everyone's LR3. The CD's i tried were Moby's "Play" which has a lot of continuous low end sounds..Alanis' Acoustic Jagged Little Pill, which has a lot of sharp transients, Bruce Hornsby's Greatest which is very bright/staccato sounding for the high's, New Radicals and Coldplay, reverb and ambient type beats and sound, and Toad the Wet Sprocket's "Fear" which has some harder stuff (droning guitars, low end crunchy Marshall/ Vox chimey guitar played approx. at 16-20 (i think, i'll check tomorrow) on the volume setting which is quite loud..my wife turned it down at that point but concurred there was no hum or ensuing tinnitis

My wife also purchased an FM modulator (yes i know, usu. a lot of possible alternator hum in these things) to connect the iPod. Now here's the catch.. The device is about 80$ retail but we picked it up for about 50. The brand is Monster which is a great company (started selling higher grade car audio cable, branched to home theatre etc) It plugs into the cigarette lighter, has a selector to tune to different frequencies on the radio and then plugs into the bottom of the iPod. Bottom line? It sounded very good surprisingly..no noise at all and the volume was better than those reporting to plugging in their iPod's through the accessory switch behind the storage box. (you don't even need to do that with this device) the only connection is the cigarette lighter..that's all! You don't have steering wheel controls but the ipod is right there at your fingertips and you already know how intuitive it is to use by touch. We just plug it in and use it as a digi jukebox for the road. (who needs satellite radio? :P )

So there you have it folks, try out my suggestions, play around with your bass/treble/fader/sub settings first and see if it works for you. I'd still like to get into the panels and paste on some sheets of dynamat which is what LandRover should have done in the first place but this was obviously the lessor of two evils. Plus save yourself a lot of hassle over using the aux input and just purchase the monster connector for your iPod. The thing works; i never would have given the device much credence until i heard it today

:shades: :shades: :shades: :shades: