Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• wt4000wt4000 Posts: 37
    Did anyone catch the Top Gear episode featuring the LR3 (Discovery3) the other night? It was great, check for the reruns. Basically the LR3 went up this Scottish mountain and thru bogs that had never been traversed by a vehicle before. Great photography and the usual dry humor from the host.
  • grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    wt4000, as I said before... use search. I even posted the full price list for 2006, which shows you the options in each trim.
    been there done that, but there is no clear explanation for the HSE price swing.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    LR3 HSE for MY 2006 now come standard with the Rear Seat Package that includes rear climate control. That accounts for about 2200 dollars of the price increase. There is also a general price increase to take in account the dollar to british pound fluctuation. I think a couple of other former option on the HSE are also now standard but I don't remember them all.
    grommet, "Land Rover LR3" #2416, 2 Aug 2005 4:03 am is pretty clear. It's $900 more between matched option 2005 and 2006 HSEs. 2006 HSE forces you to get Rear Seat/Climate ($2200) & PTI/Bluetooth ($400).
  • YES! My dealer called yesterday to inform me that my brand new 2005 LR3 HSE (which has been in service for 32 days waiting for an airbag replacement from England) IS BEING REPLACED BY LANDROVER. I was asked to make my choice of new car and I should take delivery again mid week. I took delivery of the original LR3 on July 5th. It was in the shop for minor problems twice in the first two weeks and then I took it back because of an AIRBAG FAULT and SUSPENSION FAULT. It took the service people almost 10 days to figure out the problem and then a new airbag and suspension cylindar were ordered from Landrover. There are evidently very few parts for the LR3 stocked in the USA. The new airbag must come by ship because it is an explosive device and can't be placed on a plane. The day it was to arrive (30 days after being placed in service) I was told that it had never been sent. I must say that though this has been a very disheartening experience (even the loaner LR3 had the suspension system and the low gear setting go haywire and had to be taken back) the loacl dealer in Huntsville Alabama have been courteous, caring, and have gone out of their way to take care of me. They even loaned me the owners new Range Rover to drive for two of the weeks! The only downside is that I fell in love with the Range Rover I was driving (and can't afford)! I must be a glutton for punishment but I still want the new LR3. They are even replacing my custom molded satellite radio system that I spent nearly $800.00 to have installed. The situation has been frustrating but the people have been great! :surprise:
  • gina6gina6 Posts: 4
    Hello all...hoping to purchase an '06 HSE and fewer first year concerns. If possible, I would like to request latest software and/or parts upgrade ie air compressor for suspension, etc. Does anyone know the reference #s for the suspension fix air compressors, stalling fault software upgrade. I would like to map them against what may be currently in the vehicle. All other fixes and reference #s please reply.

Also any update on the recent fuel system concern...fixes, recall. Thanks.
    gina6, a new LR3 won't be fixed if it's not broken. For example, I have a very early LR3 and have had zero problems so far and I've beaten up the LR3 quite hard. There hasn't been a full recall on any part of my LR3 yet. I'm sure if/when I have a documented problem, they'll address it appropriately.

Anyway, anything that is "required" (software updates, true recalls, etc.) will be done by your dealer when they prepare the new vehicle.
    no, its not clear. why are they calling a "standard" item an "option" when you don't get the "option" to choose the "option", which comes "standard."
  • You also get front park distance control.
    Well, they are option packages... but some of those packages are "standard" on HSE trim. :P
  • Reuters is reporting that LR is recalling nearly 18k LR3's for defective fuel tanks. I unfortunately can't find any other info on this.
  • jackmacjackmac Posts: 26
    Make : LAND ROVER Model : LR3 Year : 2005
    Manufacturer : LAND ROVER
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V376000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 26, 2005
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 17263
    Summary:
    SOME SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY HAVE FUEL TANKS THAT CONTAIN AN INTERNAL BREATHER PIPE THAT WAS NOT MADE TO SPECIFICATION. THIS COULD RESULT IN EXCESSIVE SWELLING AND CRACKING OF A GROMMET AND SUBSEQUENT DETACHMENT OF THE BREATHER PIPE FROM A CONNECTOR TUBE. WHEN THE FUEL LEVEL IN THE TANK IS ABOVE THE LEVEL OF THE DETACHED JOINT, FUEL MAY THEN ENTER THE BREATHER PIPE.
    Consequence:
    THE VEHICLE MAY EXHIBIT MIL ILLUMINATION, FUEL ODOR, DRIVABILITY CONCERNS SUCH AS HESITATION, MISFIRE, STALLING, ROUGH RUNNING, OR DIFFICULTY IN STARTING. IF THE AMOUNT OF FUEL FLOWING INTO THE BREATHER PIPE REACHES THE VAPOR CANISTER AND EXCEEDS ITS CAPACITY, THE EXCESS FUEL MAY BE DISCHARGED ONTO THE GROUND. FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FUEL TANKS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OCTOBER 14, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT LAND ROVER AT 1-800-637-6837.
    Notes:
    LAND ROVER RECALL NO. B016. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A reporter would like to hear from consumers who have recently purchased a larger SUV, perhaps even trading in another large SUV for the newer one. If you have a story to share, please contact pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info., city/state of residence and the make/model you traded/bought no later than Thurs. a.m., Sept. 1.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

FYI: VIN range SALAA25425A000360 to SALAE24455A342827 are potentially affected. Approximately 20% of the vehicles may contain the concern.
  • kkonekkone Posts: 61
    Grommet:

What is your source of information for the VIN numbers?

Thanks
  • xgundamxgundam Posts: 2
    The VIN of my LR3 SE is SALAE25485Axxxxxxxxx, purchased on Jan. 2005. It got exactly the gas leaking problem on July and the fuel tank was replaced after left it at the dealer for 3 weeks. So this VIN range seems not very accurate ...... :confuse:
  • I agree. My wifes is SALAG#####A######, and she just had the same problem. According to the VIN and door sticker, the vehicle was manufactured at the Solihull plant in Nov. '04. Hummm? :confuse:
  • garrywgarryw Posts: 1
    I just grappled with my dealer to get the right fix. Stalling, hesitation... all after filling the tank. Check engine warning. I was told the gas cap wasnt properly tightened.. They were clueless of the issue.. I did a google search and informed them of the issue. They are now replacing the gas tank. I hope its a remodeled tank. Did you have any problems after the fuel tank replacment? :lemon:
  • I too am considering a least on an LR3. Your "deal" seems very good. Would you share your dealer contact information? While I'm not in KC, it's close enough for a lease rate like you describe.

Thanks.
  • I have a 2005 LR3 HSE, silver w/ black interior. Purchased 6/05. I have had issues with hazing on the interior door panels. It has seemed to go away with leather cleaner but should not have been delivered by the dealer in this condition.

Curious if anyone is having problems with side view mirror memory positions and memory seating? When the car is in reverse, and the mirrors tilt down, when the car is returned to drive the mirrors go to the factory default position . The problem continues after the mirrors have been repeatedly re-set into the memory. Perhaps an associated problem, the memory seats do not get recalled to their position from the remote they are programed to. (lazy entry is on) The first time the dealer addressed this problem, they said they reset the memory module, however the problem continues.

I also have averaged between 17 to 18 MPG at 75 MPH on interstate driving conditions.

I have read on this board that sometimes the navigation system remains on after the car has been turned off. Mine did remain on when I first got it, but has not since. The dealer said this was "normal" as the radio can be used once the car is turned off. ???

I have not heard anything about the bluetooth phone kit. Is the Land Rover kit available as an add on or aftermarket option yet? If anyone has it, does it work well and would you recommend it?

Final question: I recently had the front windows tinted at a Land Rover dealership and was told the sun roofs could not be tinted. Has anyone else been told this and were you given a reason. I am between California and Arizona and the heat can be an issue.
    You sure you are setting the mirror memory correctly? While sitting parked with the key in the ignition at position I or II (not started), adjust your seat and mirrors to your liking... then press MEM on the seat followed by 1 (or 2, or 3). This will bind your preference to the key in the ignition. Now, when opening the door with the key fob... the seat & mirrors should adjust to the specific key's setting if you have "Lazy Entry" enabled. You may also want to read the manual. :)

Search for Bluetooth or PTI... talked about numerous times.
  • hi grommet,
    yep that is how i am setting the mirrors and seat. i even had the dealer program BOTH keys to the exact settings/memory when i left last time i was there as they thought "maybe i was using the wrong key". it is scheduled to go back in the shop in a week and a half.

one other thing i forgot to also ask in my last post, has any body had any trouble with the lumbar support on the drivers side seat? to me it feels as if it does not come out as far on the right side of the seat as it does on the left side, when it is rolled out to its max position. just curious, thanks.
  • According the the WS pdf posted on the discussion the lazy entry has nothing to do with the memory settings. I have verified this through trial and error.

When lazy entry is on for a specific key is works as follows:

"The memory settings are stored within Electronic Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM) of the memory control module each time the ignition switch is cycled from position II to position I. These are the positional values that a lazy entry request uses when the remote unlock button for that particular key is next pressed. "

I think that your deal doesn't even know this.
    Yes, it's tied to the specific key... so far we've all said setting/programming the keys, and not one of the seat memory settings. :) FYI: I've always done the seat memory step (doesn't matter if it's 1, 2 or 3)... maybe it isn't necessary? But I've never had any issues.
    I was asked to post this from another forum. This is supposedly the procedure being passed around to Land Rover dealers by their technical staff to resolve confusion:

LR3 Seat Memory w/ Key Function:

• Set all preset seat positions 1, 2 and 3 (at this point do not worry about key function).
    • Turn on the Lazy Entry option using the IP’s settings menu.
    • Turn key on and select preset 1 (the one you want to program to this key), once the seat position is reached store preset 1 again. Turn key off and remove from ignition.
    • Insert same key and turn back on, press preset 2 or 3 and wait until the seat travels fully to it's preset position... then press preset 1 again and wait until the seat reaches its full travel position. Turn key off and remove from ignition.
    • Test function by pressing unlock one time.

This can all be done with the driver's door open and there is no need to lock and unlock the doors or start the engine.
    Someone posted elsewhere that their dealer is saying Sirius satellite radio will soon become a factory option for 2006 LR3... even though no documentation or press releases say it will. Land Rover customer service, at last check, says no. Anyone hear anything better than standard misinformation?
  • trm2trm2 Posts: 42
    My LR3 is in this VIN range. So, my wife called the dealership regarding a replacement tank/loaner vehicle and they said--snippily, apparently--that we weren't supposed to know about the recall. And, they said the new part is not yet available anyway. And, they said that the recall is only for UNSOLD vehicles (they called it a "quarantine" recall) and that they weren't going to do anything--on the basis of the recall--for already sold vehicles.

Is what they say true? What am I supposed to do about it? My wife, needless to say, does not want to drive a car with a potentially exploding gas tank. I suppose I should have expected all of this from Land Rover. But griping doesn't fix things. So, does anyone know of an approach I could take to get to the bottom of this-- other than my making an unannounced visit to the dealer and making a controlled fit in front of his potential customers?
    General rule: Dealers are fairly clueless and often don't get details before you. Calling this an "exploding gas tank" issue is a bit excessive; read the full description. The document clearly says "Land Rover plans a phased notification to owners beginning the week of October 14, 2005." No need to have a fit.

Courtesy link (which may stop working): http://199.79.180.163/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2005/V/RCDNN-05V376-1657.PDF