Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover LR3

Comments

• grommetgrommet Posts: 445
    Did you ever get an update on the missing lumbar support from your rep? Or at least find out why "electric lumbar support" is even mentioned in the LR3 manual? :) Any other "changes" I didn't hear about?
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    Hey Guys, I am "SO" on the fence about getting an LR3. I plan to drive one this week. I'm sure it will drive great but I CANNOT have a vehicle that will not be trust worthy as I drive across the country at least once a year and go on short driving trips quite often.

My brother's 2003 LR Discovery II has been very reliable and no trouble at all. I'm hoping that the 2006 LR3 will be the same.

I'll let you guys know how the test drive goes.

Mark :D
  • Hi lr3maybe: I have the 255-55R-18 Terra Graplers- I went smaller to avoid some of the rubbing issues with the larger tire-plus I did not want to have to air down the spare to get it to fit. The 55 profile means I lose 1/2 inch clearance. I have not noticed a perceptible change in the speeometer readings- and I checked them by a hand help gps unit. They are a little noisier than the stock tires, as one would expect- but not enough to worry about- especially given the gains in traction. As to wear- the jury is still out, although others on this and other forums have said that they seem to wear well.
  • Mark,
    Go for it! I have HSE 2005 12000 Miles no major problem. When I go to dealer for service the only LR3's there are in for service as well.
    Thanks for the encouragement Saileast... I'm going to the Land Rover dealer tomorrow to check on a Black LR3 HSE that I saw today. Actually, I'm pretty flexible on color as long as it has all of the options. I don't want a dark interior though.

My local dealer only had 3 LR3's that I could see.... a black HSE, a silver SE and a white SE... so, we'll see tomorrow what pans out.

PS. I picked up a Consumer Report magazine that tested the LR3 and it was not favorable. It makes me feel unsure about purchasing but I'll check them out for myself. Consumers Report gave it a black dot on reliability.
    Mark, you really expect Consumers Reports to give a Land Rover Discovery, err, LR3 a favorable reliability dot? :P

And I thought you were leaning big-time to the Jeep Commander...

Passed my 1 yr. anniversary... all is fine. I personally don't give Consumers Reports any weight on anything but mass market high-volume products.
    Grommet, yes, I was thinking strongly about getting the Jeep Commander but after looking at it for a second and third time it just started to look cheap. I don't like all of the "bolts" that are prevalent around the wheel wells, headlights and on the dash board. And, the third seat is WAY too tight; the cargo area floor is also too high.

I compared the Commander and the Volvo XC90 very extensively and the I have fallen in LOVE :blush: with the Land Rover LR3. I can deal with a few glitches as long as the dealer can fix them the first time.

I was just at the San Francisco International Auto Show and I compared all three vehicles that I mentioned above and the LR3, to me, just shines above the others in style, quality and fit and finish.

I like the fact that you can get front and rear bumper sensors and heated seats for front and second row.

I'm going to try and test drive an LR3 today, I'll let you know how it goes.

Mark :)
  • thanks grommet
  • jobiejobie Posts: 47
    Michael -
    Which stock tires to you have? Mine have the Goodyear Wrangler HP's and I was sliding all over in about 2" of snow. Thanks
  • Everytime I take my LR3 (05 Tonga/Alpaca HSE) on another 600+ mile trip, I expect the worst - having read all the negative crap on this forum - and am always pleasantly surprised because the thing is just so perfect for all occasions. At first I just thought it was just a nice vehicle, but now, at 8000+ miles, I'm in LOVE with it !!

I had my gas tank replaced yesterday, and the service was absolutely great. I drove a new 06 Loaner 250 miles and noticed that the rear seat headrests were a different design - otherwise it was just as mine - perfect.

All I can say is: WHAT A GREAT VEHICLE !!!
  • The 06 you drove was probably a 5 passenger with out the convience package and you have a seven passenger or a 5 passenger with convience.

Grommet I have not talked to my Marketing Manager yet she has not been by lately but I will ask her about that next time she is in.
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    I agree with you that testing all automobiles on the same scale is crazy. Comparing a Corvette to a Civic is quite meaningless.

That being said, their reliability statistics are taken from readers, not the vehicle they test. I would think twice about poo-pooing a statistically significant survey when your comparison data is "I have one and it works great."

As I have said before, if you love LRs and can put up with the downside, like lots of shop time for many, than get one. Obviously, there are many people like that here. But don't kid yourself into believing that LR and Toyota are on the same reliability spectrum.

Regards,
    Tom
    Hey Guys, it looks like I'm going to finalize the purchase of a 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE, Black with Alpaca leather (tan) today. We have not put ink on paper but we have agree verbally on the deal. I'm having them add the wood dash and I'm getting rubber floor mats for all three rows, other than that, it's fully loaded.

I researched to the "Nth" degree on the Land Rover, Volvo XC90 and the Jeep Commander. I went to the San Francisco International Auto show Thanksgiving weekend so I could look, yet once again, at all three vehicles and make comparisons.

The LR3 fit my needs the best. I know that there are people here who have had trouble and those who have had a wonderful experience. I'm willing to take the chance because I really like the vehicle.

I sincerely believe that life is too short to settle on a vehicle that you just "like" because you think that another brand that you "love" might break down. If I have a lot of trouble with the new vehicle, I'll just get rid of it.

Toyota and Nissan products just don't do it for me, I know they are excellent vehicles but I like the more distinctive looks and clean lines of the Land Rover.

So, I'll be joining the "Land Rover Club" here at Edmunds and will report back with my experience of ownership.

Mark :)
  • Yes, but in this case the reliability record for the LR3 is based on the Disco II and Past LR trucks in general.
    That is why they call it predicted reliability. So it is not based on actual LR3 Owners. I would love to see how statistically significant this prediction is....

I have recently cancelled my subscription to CR, not because of this review, but because they no longer provide the same detail as they used to and they have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to electronics. Back in the day they were great for cars and appliances, but I think they have failed to adapt to the changing times.
    Pre-congratulations, Mark. Post your "deal" in the LR3 Prices Paid forum when it's done. It's always good to know what the market is like, especially if you are around the S.F. Bay Area.
  • I have the same problem sohna99. Do you know what they did to fix it. My dealer plans on fixing it, but has an extra windshield in case the original one is damaged during the fix.
  • AdamvAdamv Posts: 8
    Michael has the HSE, and from looking at pictures of his vehicle it seems that HSE's don't suffer from the same wimpy stock tires that the SE's do. As I mentioned previously this is the worst car I've ever driven in the snow/ice. And I think that's totally due to the stock Goodyears.I put a set of Blizzaks on this past weekend. I should get a chance to try them out in a week or two and I'll let you know what I think...
  • AdamvAdamv Posts: 8
    I also had a similar problem, and there was also no leak during the dealer hose test. Finally I figured out it was the strip the runs front to back on both sides of the roof. It had became loose and when moving, or during heavy downfalls, water would seep in... Luckily I was able to fix it myself.
  • serranotserranot Posts: 113
    Good point. Probably should wait to see how this year's actual #s shake out.

Regards,
    Tom
    The deal is done and the LR3 is sitting in the garage! WOW, what a nice vehicle! It's always fun getting a new set of wheels but this one really has me excited.

I didn't notice the pin stripe that runs front to back just above the door handles. It's a creamy color that matches the interior. I swear it wasn't there when I drove it but I could be mistaken. I just have to get used to it.

They ordered the wood for the dash today; I picked out the color and it will be custom made for the LR3. I think the warmth of the wood will really set off the interior.

I'm just pleased as punch (southern term) about this purchase and the salesman was wonderful.

I'll post in the "prices paid" section when I get a chance (have to pull the paperwork out).

Happy motoring, Mark156 :D

PS. Grommett, my main home is in Tennessee and I also have a place in the southern California desert.
  • congratulations mark, i am also pretty close to doing the deed. can you post pics of the interior once you get the wood trim installed. i was thinking of opting for the factory kit but it doesn't look that great for the price imho. thanks.
    Manoftaste.. My salesman told me that the factory wood kit has been recalled/discontinued temporaryly and my dealer is using another source. I picked a similar shade that the factory offered and the salesman said that the new company will warrant the wood for the as long as I own the vehicle. The Rover factory warranty was only 4 years/50k miles. Of course, I'm sure most people won't keep their LR's 25 years.

The wood will arrive in about 10 days and I will take it back for installation.

For those who wanted to know the deal that I got, here it is. (I couldn't find the prices paid forum for the LR3)

2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE, Java Black Pearlescent, Alpaca Beige leather, Cold climate pkg, Heavy Duty pkg.

List $55,525.00
    options added:
    wood dash 750.00
    mats 225.00
    TOTAL MSRP $56,500.00

Trade $20,000.00 (2002 MB ML500, 47,800 miles)

Discount $2,375.00
    __
    final price
    before taxes
    and flees ----- $34,125.00

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,259
    Congrats from a former resident of TN. Please report on your deal over in the Land Rover LR3: Prices Paid & Buying Experiences discussion. :shades:

[edit] lol, you're too fast for me!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Steve... I honestly coudn't find the LR3 prices paid thread, I guess I need new contacts lenses, thanks for "linking". I reposted the info over there.

Mark :shades:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,259
    I know a good opthamologist in Chattanooga. :-)

Enjoy the new ride!

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• hey all,
    had my gas tank changed out last week and so far so good, but today when i filled up with gas for the first time since the change, the hose came off the filler neck.
    i had the gas hose on with the clicker/auto filler handle holder on and when it finished and clicked off, it popped off and out of the gas tank filler neck to the ground. this is where i usually fill up and i usually do the auto-fill thing, so just curious if anybody else has had this happen to them as it did make a mess and could have also scratched the car as it fell to the ground. was this just a weird accident or is something now different with the gas tank filler neck????
  • I have decided to purchase snow tires (Hakkapeliitta SUV). Does anyone have any suggestions on getting low-cost winter wheels (18")? I cannot find anything.
  • I have to say,speaking of reliability, that I've had MUCH better reliability with my '00 Discovery II and my '05 LR3 than my previous 10 Mercedes-Benzes or my last 5 Toyotas, 1 BMW, and numerous "American" junkers.

My Rovers had no issues while the Benzes and Toys were a pain-in-the-a$$, so you never know...and my 99 DII was the worst vehicle ever built...
  • They performed water ingress test by letting sprinkler ran on top of the vehicles for an hour. They didn't found any leaks in the vehicle. Then they inspected front sunroof drain tubes and found that left tube mis-routed and restricted. They re-routed the hose.
    Next day it ran very hard, no leaks, seems like the problem is fixed.
    You can ask your dealer to do the same.

Good luck.
  • Or at least that's the way the tech described it. My wife is currently in San Antonio and said she turned off the vehicle, pulled the key and then the fun began. The navigation screen started flashing, the locks began to lock/unlock, puffs of air, described to me like little farts, started coming out of the vents, and the turn signals began to flash. Luckily she was only a few miles away from a LR dealership. She got there and the tech turned it on and, drum roll please, you guessed it, it acted normal. He turned it off, turned it back on and the thing went crazy. That's when he apparently turned to my wife and said it's possessed. Luckily the problem was so strange, and my wife's from out of town, that they're going to start work on it immediately, even though they're backed-up a couple of weeks. Now I'm no mechanic, but I'm guessing the problems electrical in nature(sarcasm). I'll post back when I get some more info, or a Priest.