Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fergiefergie Posts: 6
    :mad: :lemon: you are not the only one, mine has been in the shop twice and they said they did adjustments and upgrades WHATEVER!! It is still happening and it has not been cold here York, Pa
  • koobkoob Posts: 1
    I also have experienced this. Usually, it happens when the Nox is warmed up. Typically occurs when going down a hill and coasting. Instead of shifting to the next higher gear, it stays "stuck" in the lower gear and revs and jerks. Living in rural Western PA, there are a lot of hills and I experience this often. When on the interstate, it never happens. Dealer said it is operating "within GM specs and standards" (BS). I am taking it back to the dealer to have them reproduce.

Other than that, I enjoy the Nox totally.
  • gizmo3gizmo3 Posts: 2
    Since when is an automatic transmission supposed to downshift when slowing down?
    Since when is a transmission supposed to downshift when descending a grade?This was resolved years ago. It was decided by our automotive experts that brakes were cheaper to replace than engine parts.
    When was the last time you ever saw an automatic transmission without an overdrive?
    How did we ever get stuck with a car without a lock-up torque converter.
    My Buick Lasabre got better around town mileage (bigger engine ,, heavier car). For that matter my old S-10 with a 4.3 and 96000 miles gets better mileage.
    13-14 Mpg stinks? :mad:
  • nannynanny Posts: 3
    i love my nox,BUT!i purchased my nox9/04 and have 9500 miles and my premium laser blue paint is failing. the panel behind rear doors, ends of molding, and bottom panels of door is turning white because of pitting. looks dirty all the time. the rear door has a nice chip and the paint has some bubbles. my dealer(?) says the clear coat is pitted and thats the "nature of the beast" too bad!! so i have to drive a dirty car for the next ten years!! he would fix the bubble, but if it continues to fail i would be in the shop all the time. i guess i will have to go to gm directly and anyone else in ny state that will help.( i INVESTED in mud flaps when i bought it). no help from dealer should bought online. any suggestions?
  • gizmo3gizmo3 Posts: 2
    3M makes a product that may solve you problem. this could be applied after the paint repair.
    Check out this link
    http://www.clearmask.com/aboutourkits.htm
  • :lemon: :mad:
    I just got my Equinox back after the 8th time it has made a trip to the service department for various problems. This time they called a locksmith out to have them help make modifications to the lock cylinder houseing of the ignition. They replaced it twice w/ GM parts & that didn't work now I have a "JERRY RIGGED CAR" What a Crock! The Car has been in 8 times in a year & has 31,000 miles. If I could trade & not lose my @ss I would. Right now I just want to run it into the cement wall. more info later
  • auroragaurorag Posts: 1
    I have had my Equinox for one year and one month and I can't wait to get rid of it. It has been in and out of the shop since I got it. At one point I didn't have it for over two months while a computer was beign repaired. I have also had my sway bars replaced, several relays replaced, my fog lights have failed twice now, and this crazy problem with the transmission. Once I reach 55-65 miles on the freeway the RMP's sky rocket and the vehicle revs really high. It doens't switch into overdrive. And when slowing down the car kicks and downshits. I took it in to the delear they drove it five miles and found nothing. The only problem is that this occurs intermittently so it's hard to determine if and when it will happen.
  • nixnoxnixnox Posts: 2
    We have had our 2005 Equinox since July of last year. It was fine until about a month ago when we took it to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change and the mechanic noticed that our coolant was contaminated. He directed us to take it back to where we bought it. When we took it to the dealership, they flushed out the system and blamed us for contaminating it. As we drove home, about five miles from the dealership the coolant started stinking again and by the time we got home it was dark root beer brown. We then took it to another dealership that was closer to where we live and they replaced the hoses, intake manifold, and the coolant. It is now two weeks later and our car overheated and the coolant tank is completely empty and the stench is back! The car won't even start anymore. What a piece of junk! Can someone tell me what on earth to do now (besides get the dern thing towed)!!!!!
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Posts: 94
    Sounds like the dealership turned you Nox into a piece of junk.
    Change repair shops.
    The newer Equinox, with mfg date of Dec. and newer, have these problems fixed.
    There are service bulletins to fix these problems.
    Any competent Chevy repair shop should be able to fix this coolant problem.
  • nixnoxnixnox Posts: 2
    Well, we had the Equinox towed this morning. I called the repair shop a few hours later and they informed me that the thermostat in the car was defective and that it incorrectly shut the motor off due to a safety feature. They couldn't explain why the coolant tank was completely empty but they "fixed" the thermostat and refilled the coolant and I picked 'er up at 3:00. I drove the care for about 5 miles and arrived at my destination. When I got out of the car, there was that darn contaminated coolant stench AGAIN! I popped the hood and the smell about knocked me out cold! I called the dealership that had just sent me on my merry way only moments before and they had me drive it back down there. The service manager popped the hood an immediately smelled "THE SMELL," but he claimed that it could have just been spilled from when they were filling it up. Then I complained of a new smell coming from inside the car (from the a/c) and he smelled that one too. He checked it out and said that we have mold and mildew in the a/c system and that they would disinfect it free of charge and check the coolant again tommorrow when the Nox returns for its 4th visit in a month. We brought the car home and parked it in our garage. Now we are living with the smell of what could be compared to a dead skunk being barbequed. We want to get rid of this thing--can someone please help!!!
  • dghunterdghunter Posts: 1
    I have had me Equinox for about 5 months now and everytime I get in and out of it, I get shocked very had to the point I have seen sparks... was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Posts: 870
    I don't have an Equinox, but I've had my 2000 Impala for just over 5 years now, and I get shocked every time I get out. The only thing I can recommend is getting in the habit of touching the door with your elbow when you get out, so the shock happens there instead of on your fingertips when you close the door. Could be a cloth seat versus leather thing (I've got cloth), but I don't know of anything that can be done to alleviate it.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    Try switching to rubber floor mats and spraying seats with static free or rubbing dryer sheets on the seats weekly.
  • I just got my nox back from the dealer after I took it in for the smell. Took me two different dealers before any one would admit to knowing that the problem existed. The dealer that I bought the truck from said they never heard of it. Second dealer knew all about it and told me that the repair takes about two to three days. It took exactly two days. Glad that smell is gone much nicer now. However I opened up the garage to find my truck locking and unlocking itself, complete with lights flashing, has anyone had this problem before? I took it back to the dealer and they said they could not find anything wrong, there are no diognostics for electrical systems. They told me that somehow the truck intercepted the garage door opener signal. Im confused about this because up to this point I have not had a problem, and I have had the truck about three months and always park in the garage with it. Any Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
  • So I got my car back after they had it for 6 days & when we went to pick it up it kind of hesitated when it started. My husband noticed it immediately & because of all the problems we have been having w/ this car & GM he had them pull a new model over & start it to see if it started the same way. Of course the new one started right up. The service writer said he noticed the difference but said it was because of the mileage. PLEASE!!!! So I've driven it for a week now, the key in the ignition can turn while you are driving. It is very lose because of the "jerry rigging". Today at lunch I started my car & it stalled. Is this really normal? I can't believe I can't get anybody to help me deal with these issues.
  • Okay while I do admit the coolent smell is gone, seems I have traded it for even more of a mess. It was not bad enough that all of a sudden my truck started leaking oil all over, so I took it back to the dealer immediatly and they determined that it was a defective oil filter, which they seemed to fix. By the end of the day after 40 miles of driving the engine fan would not shut off, then much to my surprise coolent started spitting out all over my driveway. I then had to get a wrecker to tow it to the Dealer so they could figure out what went wrong. Has anyone had any problem like this after the coolent repair? Help! this truck has been in the Dealer three times this week, including two in one day. I am not a mechanic, but I do know enough that something is terribly wrong, and they have not even considered addressing the mysterious unlocking and relocking itself complete with lights flashing issue, any advice from you more experienced nox owners? :cry:
  • barry22barry22 Posts: 3
    The noise that you are probably hearing is the ABS system. When you start moving after about 3 miles per hour or so, the ABS system performs a quick check of itself and then arms itself. I hear it on mine all of the time. The only reason I knew what it was is because when I bought my Astro Van it came with a video tape about the ABS system and mentioned about the noise.
  • barry22barry22 Posts: 3
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to the NOX club. I bought mine 3 months ago. The build date on mine is June 2004. I heave read most of these posts and as far as my experiences go I have not had any of the problems that I have read here. I have 3500 miles on mine. I am getting about 20 MPG. About 75% of my driving is on the highway. I have checked my spare tire area and it is dry as a bone. I live near Seattle Wa. and we get plenty of rain. I noticed some of you are hearing a noise from the front end when you first start up. Funny because everyone should be hearing this. It is the ABS system doing its self check and then it arms itself. It is not very loud but if the radio is off you can hear it. These SUV's have a lot of electronics in them and a lot of relays. It is normal to hear some of these little noises. As far as the tranny goes, it is also electronically controlled. Lots of relays there too. Gone are the days when transmissions were controlled by speed and vacumm. As with all new cars problems will occur and occasionally you will see a lemon or two but I am happy with my NOX and I would not hesitate to buy another one. With regard to large A pillars at the front, I think it is a nice feature. It gives more stability to the frame. I am sorry some of you have had problems. I hope that the dealership where you bought yours will make everything right. As a mechanic by trade I can tell you that the NOX is a well built SUV and even though there are a few bugs to work out I believe I will be happy with mine for a long time.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Thats nothing new. That happens in just about any car particularly during the winter. To prevent it, before you exit your car place your hand on the metal part of the door frame and leave it there until you are completely out of the vehicle. I do this to reduce the shock as I get out of my car.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Sweet Jesus, the repair shops must be totally out of the loop.

* * *I M P O R T A N T N O T I C E* * *
    GM has issued a fix for the smelly coolant issue. Its been out for 4 months or so now. Take your Nox back to the dealer and tell them the hoses need to be replaced and they should do a thorough check for the TSB (Technical Service Bulliten). If they tell you they know nothing of it or that it does not exist, take your vehicle to another GM dealer if you are able to.