Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hello All:

Just took delivery 16 days ago on a 2006 Bermuda Green/Grey Cloth AWD LT, with power sunroof, 6-CD Changer, and Side Airbags. :shades: The first few hundred miles everything was A-Ok, however recently I began noticing a snap/crackle/pop noise From around the passanger dash/glovebox area, and occasionally sounds like it could be coming from the passnager door panel also. Its been extremely cold here with lows around 10F and my intial instict was its all the plastic they use breaking in expanding and contracting however it seems to have gotten worse/more frequent now. Has anyone encountered this problem as its driving me nuts!! :mad: Also the driver side window seems to have a ticking cricket like wind noise also. :( So far I really like the look and feel of the car however I gotta find a way to make the sounds go away.
  • Do these noises continue after the cabin is heated up?
  • Yup, they seem to be there all the time.
  • New here. I just drove my nox in deep snow for the first time today. It was a weird feeling. I was pressing on the gas peddle and it seemed like there was no power or like the engine was going to stall. Is this normal or as it happened to someone else?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    If you have front wheel drive, the traction control system probably kicked in because the wheels were spinning. TC on the Nox does not apply brakes, it reduces engine power (RPM) as low as it needs to, to stop the wheels from spinning, regardless of the position of the gas pedal.

On the Nox the computer normally controls the throttle using input from the pedal position sensor on the gas pedal. When the TC kicks in, the computer ignores the pedal position and reduces the throttle until the wheels stop spinning. You should see a small yellow triangle with an exclamation point in center light up when TC kicks in. Of course if both wheels are spinning and the computer reduces power, the vehicle may not move at all. In this situation you have to turn off the TC system by pushing the button above the radio. You can then control engine speed with the gas pedal.
  • Then what I would want you to try is open your passenger door grab/hold the end corner of the dash and first give it some medium taps to see if the noise is there and then try lifting it slightly to see if the dash is loose. Tap on the door trim panel later to see if anything is loose inside. If you feel or hear something take it to your dealer and tell them what you did and what you suspect.
  • That was it, I took my TC of and the Nox tranformed itself into a tank. Now I'm ready for some snow. Thank's again sgr5516
  • Well, I have to admit that I am glad I found that I was not the only one with problems and wasn't losing my mind. I have a 2005 Equinox LT and have had it now for a year. For a while the wrench light came on and I ignored it, it has happened maybe once now in the past few months. I also had the back fire sound but it has gone away for the most part. My concern right now is the paint around the radio buttons and on the actual buttons is coming off and my biggest concern right now is once in a while it doesn't want to start right away when I turn the ignition. I am planning on going to the dealership to have them look at it. Another problem I noticed is when I am on the freeway in rush hour and I am cruising along without using the break and just a little gas it seems to tug forward and then when I do gas it, it takes a bit to get going and it never did that early on. I still love my car but along with new models come these problems and I am not too happy with the problems I already have had. Hopefully I don't have anymore.
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion, however after trying it I couldn't reproduce the noise myself following your technique, but its still there when driving. The dash and door panel seems to be secured properly however still getting cracking/popping noises. Also on several occasions had the backfire/rear clunking noise after inital startup when cold.
  • I am having some of the same issues with my 2005 Equinox. I am taking it in today for the CD issue and the starting issue. Hopefully they can fix it.
  • Just wanted to say Happy Holidays and Safe Driving to all my fellow Equinox owners. Enjoy any and all quality time you may have with your families and loved ones.
  • The "back firing" noise thing is normal. Service Information Regarding a Pop/Clunk Noise From the Rear of the Vehicle on Initial Cold start and/or During the Warm-Up Drive Cycle -
    Inform Customer of Normal EVAP Vent Solenoid Operation #04-06-05-009B -
    (May 26, 2005)
    This applies to the 2005-2006 Equinox, 2006 Pontiac Torrent and 2002 to 2006 the Saturn VUE

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide service information regarding a normal characteristic of the evaporative emissions (EVAP) control system On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) testing. Some customers may comment that they hear a pop/clunk noise similar to a backfire type noise from the rear of the vehicle during initial cold start and/or during engine warm-up.
    The noise may be generated from the EVAP vent solenoid opening and closing during the OBD test. The engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control module (PCM) performs the EVAP OBD test each ignition cycle the test parameters are met. For test parameters, refer to "EVAP System Diagnostics"
    or "Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Set Procedure" in the appropriate Service Manual or SI.

Important: To help confirm that the EVAP vent solenoid is the noise the customer is hearing, the service technician should have the customer sit in the vehicle and listen to the EVAP vent solenoid being cycled using the TECH 2. This operation can be found in the Powertrain/Special Function
    section of the TECH 2 menu.
    If the noise from the customer comment was from the EVAP vent solenoid, no service is required. Replacing the vent solenoid will not change the normal sound of the required EVAP vent solenoid test.
    If the noise from the customer comment was not from the EVAP vent solenoid, the technician should continue diagnosing the customer's concern.
  • Your wrench light means you are due for a oil change..and if you already had one you need to reset your oil monitoring system. The paint or lack of on the buttons have been mentioned before. However there is no fix for it cause of the way the buttons are designed. There is a light back there to light up your buttons at night..that's why the buttons are actually translucent in type of material. If the paint is chipping off then I think it would be from wear...like your skin from fingers constantly touching and rubbing on them. Could try some permanent black Sharpie pen to see if it helps. The starter/ignition on the Equinox is not like the conventional type on others. All you have to do is give the key a quick flick to the start position and let go of the key..the starter will engage till the engine starts. This is sort of a prelude to installing automatic car starter systems for the future. Your gas pedal is by wire so when you have the cruise on and step on it a little it takes a moment for the signal to reach the throttle position sensor and give it the gas. All your concerns seem like major things but really they are not. It's a matter of getting used to new technology.
  • WOW!!! I must be incredibly lucky!!!
    I have had a share of the frustration too.
    Issues with the coolant, that snap sound from the glove box area,to mention a few. Believe it or not I have 105 000 kms on my Nox. Leased in March 04, Just replaced the tires. To solve the staining issue on the seats I purchased seat covers for both front and back.
    All most all of my driving is highway.
    In the spring Amazingly I achieved 27-29 miles to the gallon, But I mean that is doing 105 kms a babying the pedal. In the winter WELL!!! thats a different story.
    The mileage just crashes down to 19-21 miles per g.
    I must be honest from what I have read here, it scares the hell out of me especially now that I am way over the warranty. I' ll keep my fingers crossed as my leased is up in March 07. :confuse:
  • Actually I forgot t mention one thing, and that is the leaks. 5 mnths after I bought I noticed a foul smell, a friend that works for another car manufac. told me to get it cheched for leaks. Well he was right, all new door and windows seals plus a few others I can't recall.
    Well about 9 mnths later I began to notice air noise coming from the rear passenger side. I thought it might being the crips on the roof rack. Well I was wrong several weeks later I went into the Spare tire compartment where I had kept a few things. To my surprise I stuck my hand into about 8 inches of water. 14 gallans to be correct, thats how much water they pumped out. 3 more seals at the back end to be changed as well as the carpeting and underlay for the second time. Well at least it got washed :confuse:
  • Did you ever get the front struts replaced?
  • Your vehicle required the coolant flush..the front strut replacement. Cloth seats do stain easily, GM didn't want them to have the ScotchGuard treatment done. There is a TSB for having the transmission reflashed to improve mileage. Winter driving always reduces the mileage. All this could have been taken care of at no cost. Except for the stained seats.
  • Nope, haven't had any repairs done yet.
  • Oh yeah, you have a 2006 model..I haven't heard of any TSB's for that model year.
  • jonoxjonox Posts: 84
    :) Happy06

I used to hear an intermittent noise which seemed to be from the passenger door/glove box area. I noticed that the roof rack locking tabs would not lock down properly on that side so I've temporarily taped them down with black electrical tape. Have not heard the noise since.
    jonox
  • I bought my Equinox in Jan, 05. I have had poor gas mileage since day one. Initially thought it was the transmission, so I had them reprogram it. The mileage did not change significantly, and the transmission still seems to stay in 2nd gear way too long, so that I have to take my foot off the accelerator to make it change. I reviewed some of the postings here looking for a solution, but may have missed something. Must I live with poor mileage?
  • Unfortunately yes, during the winter months mileage takes a dive. In the summer you should notice a huge difference. But you must also drive reasonbly steady. Long trips should be kept at a constant speed for the average to take affect. After the transmission re-flash did you lose your downhill mode?
  • Did you notice the 4 holes in the roof rails? Those are the only locations where you should lock your roof rack crossrails. Make sure both ends are located towards the same holes and the end levers should just lock closed. see page 2-36 of your 2006 Owners Manual.
  • The problem is that I did not notice a tremendous difference between the winter and summer--it was bad in ALL seasons. I keep records of all of my gas purchases and mileage and the mileage in the summer still did not come close to advertised mileage. Why is the mileage not even close to the advertised mileage?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    I have an 05 Nox LT FWD, built April 05. I had the trans control module reflashed. It did improve shift quality, but not the mileage. My wife uses the car for work, about 44mi round trip, 50% highway 50% local. During summer/fall, the mileage is 18-19mpg. I few times it hit 20mpg. Now in winter we get 17-18mpg, mainly because my wife warms it up in morning to defrost the windows. I

When we first got the car I suspected the odometer was displaying fewer miles than actually driven. This would make the calculated mpg less than the actual mpg. I don't know by how much.

GM does have TSB 05-06-04-056, issued 9/2/05. The title is "perceived poor fuel economy in city type driving". It says the PCM has a calculation error at speeds associated with city type driving. The odometer is registering less miles than actually traveled. The correction reprograms the PCM to correctly calculate miles driven at lower speeds. It will not correct poor fuel economy at highway speeds.

I've decided not to have the PCM reprogrammed. Our warranty will run out based on mileage. If I have PCM reprogrammed the warranty will run out sooner. While we have not had any other problems, you never know.

I plan to purchase a GMPP extended warranty before we reach 12,000 miles.
  • So... we bought our Equinox LT AWD in Aug. 2004. Shortly thereafter we had the stinky coolant problem- it was fixed, but now there's a new smell (who knows where that's coming from). We also have the cruddy MPG, had a faulty ignition (kept "dinging" even after the key was removed), warped rotors, had the tranny reprogrammed (kept getting stuck in 2nd/3rd gear), and NOW a lifter has gone bad and they'll need it for at least 2-3 days to fix it. I've about had it with this thing. We loved it at first and expected a few little bumps b/c it was a "first-year" model, but this is getting ridiculous.

I'm desperately trying to get the hubby to trade it in. We've had it 17 mo. and it does have 29k on it, but my Grand Prix has never been a problem like this. Can you say :lemon: ? We did purchase an extended warranty to cover us up to 72k b/c we drive 80 mi. round-trip to work 5x/week.

I'd appreciate any advice.
  • WHY DOES MY EMISSION LIGHT NOT SHUT OFF AND I ONLY HAVE 8000 ON MY VEHICLE.
  • I don't think I have roof rack crossrails, only two rails, one on the right and one on the left that run parallel with the vehicle. I'll look into that theory though.

Also anyone heard a ticking/rattle type wind noise coming from around the drivers side window area??
  • ncolincoli Posts: 3
    :lemon: I've had my 2005 AWD LT since May of '04. and just this past week I call chevrolet and told them I don't care what they do I don't want that thing back ever!! It all started for me with my car starting funny about a month after I bought it. It seemed as thought the starter either wasn't working or it would keep trying to start while the vehicle was running. In Aug. '04 my husband and I were on our way to his class reunion and stopped at a store along the way. When I came out I could start the car. After one hour I could start it no problem. Of course they could not recreate the problem. this kept happening on and off. They have since replaced a relay and two starters. I also had a head gasket leak last month and now I have engine problems. I'll let you know what that turns out to be.
  • jlerojlero Posts: 1
    I am a gm tech and I also have a 2005 Equinox. My fuel economy has been poor since day one. I first checked the vehicle out and found no problems with engine data. Called GM Technical assistance and was told that the millage had to be at lest 4,000 miles before a fuel consumption test would be valid, at that time I was getting about 10-12 mpg. Now at 10,000 miles I still get poor fuel economy at about 14city/20 hwy. Called TAC again and went through all the data with them. Their response was that there seemed to be nothing wrong with the vehicle, that was just the best it would ever get. They also said that they had a few complaints but not enough to justify a concern on their part. then had my manager contact his gm rep. His response was that the fuel consumption test that I preformed was inaccurate and I needed to have the shop foreman preform the test, and that the problem was probably my driving habits. This is a lie and just their way of trying to cover up a mistake. He also stated that that was just an estimate and that GM doesn't guarantee anything.The only way that anything will ever get done is if enough people contact their gm service dept. and have a fuel consumption test preformed, and the BBB and complain and take action to correct the problem. As a owner and GM technician I will do what I can but everyone that feels they were mislead needs to speak up and not just complain to people that can't do anything about it.