Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Isn't the Jetta made by that company that has a bad rep. on quality and had to close down their plant in Tenn. a decade or so ago due to such poor quality. So you went from the frying pan into the fire. Of course you could argue that the new Jetta isn't the same as the old cars and you could also say that about the new Equinox. There are many thousands of Equinox that have never had a problem. I have two neighbor ladies both single who drive Equinox and outside of regular maintaince they have been great vehicles. I looked at them years ago and didn't care for the paper thin seats and that is why I didn't buy one and went with a Trailblazer though it cost me more money. I have driven two 010 models and to borrow a praise these aren't your fathers Oldsmobiles. The difference is day and night.
  • wifes07aveowifes07aveo Member Posts: 31
    is there a way to get the interior of my aveo in our equinox? The interior of the aveo is much better looking... j/k
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    You're kidding, right? That is an insult to the Equinox........ :)
    Why would anyone want to put in a cheap piece of crap in the Equinox? :P
    the fabric on the seats on my aveo IS better than the fabric in the equinox....sorry but its true... :blush:. the aveo is used to-from work and the equinox is the family vehicle.
    in your humble opinion it may be but the quality of the material I bet is better in the Equinox. Just remember not many will share your opinion and sometime you may want to sell the Equinox.
    you are correct. that is only my opinion. what do you mean by "sometime you may want to sell the Equinox". but don't get me wrong I love our equinox.
    Just what I said unless you plan to drive it till it drops and send it to the junk yard. Anytime you personalize a car/truck you then create a vehicle that only a few people will want. For example you buy a black vehicle you then leave lots of people out of the market as they won't buy a black vehicle because they think it will show the dirt. These type of people purchase white vehicles. Me I will take a black over white any day as maybe it shows the dust more than the white but my one and only white car everytime I drove it on the highway on a hot July day I could always count on some little black dots of tar on it. Sure the black also gets them but I don't see them. Plus when I wax my car and spend an afternoon on it I want to see it shine and I want to see where I left off while waxing it which you won't get either with a white car.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    Why dont people just face the facts the Nox is a 40\60 bet that it will last past 20,000 without any problems by most including myself, who leased a 05 Nox, with mutiliple issues, otherwise there wouldn't be any complaints. I'm 56 and have been a GM stellar freak for years until I leased my first Honda (which was hard to type) and has re arrainged my priorites, gas and oil man, that's it.
    60/40?? Do you have any idea how may noxes have been built/sold? Are you kidding? Are there some bad noxes YES, but 60/40??? Get real..
    I've got an 08 ls nox. I want to install a receiver hitch for pulling a couple of quads nothing big. I was thinking of buying the receiver hitch at a salvage yard. it should be a used oem part. My question is, will i be able to hook up my trailer to the nox? is there a connector (lights) for those noxes without a hitch? Thank alot for your help.
  • jackswammijackswammi Member Posts: 10
    My 07 Equinox came with a factory receiver. I doubt if you can find one in a salvage yard. I would buy a new hitch from an auto supply store or from U-HAUL trailer. U-HAUL can install it too for a good price. Auto supply stores probably won't have it in stock but can easily order it. I'd recommend NAPA auto parts.It's not too hard to install except for the light wiring. The NOX is supposed to tow 3000 lbs.
    Not saying they still do but when I bought a Chevy car they had a harness thay you plugged into the harness that is already there and it had the trailer wiring built into it.
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    A new hitch is cheap enough for an '08, 125-150.. It's easy to install, 6 bolts, 30-40 minutes. The '08 should have a harness connector in the spare tire pit, buy the right harness with the connector, don't try to splice the wiring. I have a brand new GM OEM hitch I can sell for $125 shipped if you want it.
    ok, let me shop around and will let you know. Take Paypal?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We're not set up for buying and selling on the forums so please take this to email.

thanks,

Steve, Host
    The oil life shows 15% should i go now or just go before the 0% ?
    Changing the oil early can never hurt a car. While I understand GM's intentions with the computer management of the oil and saving global oil consumption, I run the miles up on my cars and if there is one aspect that can kill high mileage it's not changing the oil. That is one instruction I'll not heed, right now I plan on changing every 3000 which is about 70%. Since I'm not there yet, I'm still wavering on whether to use regular 5W30 of bump up to Mobil 1 synthetic. It's a discussion I plan to have with the service manager when I take her in for the 3000 mile check up.
    I see no advantage of using Mobil 1 if you are going to change it every 3K except out of your pocketbook. Another thing it also depends on how long you are going to keep the car, we lease and the lease runs out before the warranty so we go by the computer.
  • jbcriderjbcrider Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 06 Equinox for four months. The tires are worn and there is a lot of road noise but lately once it has ideled for a while you can start from a complete stop and hear 3 "thumps" that seems to be coming from the back of the truck and usualy a smell almost like exhaust. Also it produces a pond of water when ideling with the ac running. Any ideas???
  • commuter10commuter10 Member Posts: 26
    I also followed a 3000 mile change interval until I bought my 2006 Equinox. With my style of driving the computer says to change the oil about every 4500 miles. For the extra protection I use Mobil One 5w30. I plan on keeping the car to 150,000 or more miles so what the heck. I also was nervous about relying on the computer but from what I have found on the internet it really works.

By the way my dad follows the change oil light in his Park Avenue and is past 160,000 miles with no engine trouble on conventional oil.
    "New oil has chemicals that eat away the catalytic converter, says Donny Seyfer, a Colorado-based certified master technician, and changing oil too often can damage that pricey part."

The Great Car Maintenance Upsell (Yahoo)
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I own a 2005 Equinox bought it new in April 2005.
    The noise that you're hearing (thump thump thump) is caused by the EVAP "Vent Selonoid" doing it's emissions diagnosis and it's totally normal. The noise comes from underneath the back of the vehicle on cold starts or a couple of seconds after. Mine does the same, sometimes I can hear it and sometimes I don't. That's why some people think that not all Nox's do this particular noise but they all do it occasionally.
    Trust me it's been 4 ½ yrs that I drive my Nox, up to 82,000 miles and I can still hear this weird "thump thump" sound at least once a day and never had problems with that.
    Like I said the system is only doing it's job. Got to live with it.
  • urdeadurdead Member Posts: 13
    One of its main flaws is the Chevrolet customer service. I recently bought a 2010 LTZ with the Nav unit and rear entertainment and have had nothing but problems with it. I read in these forums and see people and how happy they are with their purchase and I have to say I want that. The customer service issue comes into play because the service techs no virtually nothing about this vehicle therefore they can't fix it right.
    Their corporate customer service people do no call you back at the prescribed times that they say they will, and I'm not even going to go into the problems I have had with my dealer.
    Just be aware that there are electrical as well as mechanical issues with this vehicle and IMO its buyer beware.
    Thanks for the info. That's good to know it's normal.
    I have no problem replacing the cat versus rebuilding the engine.

If I go Mobil One, I'm not changing it every 3K, maybe every 6K. I have to research it a bit.
    I'm on a 7,500 mile interval on dead dino, at, oh, 134,500 miles or so.

Original cat too. :)
  • almarkyalmarky Member Posts: 1
    My lift gate will not open. Also my radio stays on when i get out of the car, the door locks stopped working and the turn signals will not work. The raido can't be a fuse problem because it still works. What could be the problem?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    those are dead plants Steve, not dinos. :P
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    those are dead plants

But that's not very alliterative. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yeah, I know, but dead dino rolls off the tongue so much nicer. (heh, Tides beat me to it). Consider it my little homage to Sinclair Gas. :-)

Some car radios stay on after the key is removed until the door is shut. I don't know if your 'Nox is like that but the problem with the door locks could be causing the radio not to get the door shut signal. So the radio may otherwise be working normally.

Maybe check for other fuses? And try cleaning the contacts on the doors and lift gate with a pencil eraser or something.

I can't figure out how the dead turn signals are connected to the door problem though.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Fair enough. I was just worried about all those leftover bones in your gas tank clogging your fuel filter. :P
    Is it ok to go with the computer engine oil schedule with the oil you get on a regular oil change at the dealership? From the factory they do not use syntheric right?
    GM claims the computer for the oil is pretty accurate and I have used it now for a number of years on my GM products. I usually change it at about 30% or 6 months whichever comes first.
    My Equinox is a 2005 LT FWD.
    How many miles did you get on your original tires?
    Mine are "Bridgestone Duelers". I have 40,000 miles on them and always made the rotation at 6,000 miles (more or less). They seem to be good but I'm planning a 6,000 miles trip with 90% highway driving.
    Should I change them before leaving?
    My wife drives an 08 and it only has 7k miles, I was thinking of getting the tires rotated every other oil change. about every 8-10k miles. If they are in good condition I would not change them. just my opinion but if you are thinking about changing the tires anyway, why not?
    I have a relative that owns an 06 LT FWD and replaced his at 40K. My 06 LT2 AWD has 40K and is past due for tires. If the red line on the tread is showing it means u r down to 2/32 tread and it's time for new ones. If u r not to that point the tires still have some life left.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Member Posts: 163
    Also have 2005 LT FWD. Now have 63,000 miles on it. Replaced original tires at 54,000 miles. Drive about 80% highway. Rotated at every Maint 1/2 Service per Computer (about every 5-6k miles). Kept pressure at 35lbs.
  • revjim64revjim64 Member Posts: 78
    My friend has an 05 Equinox with the same problem. The dealer just put in the 3rd radio. The check engine light comes and the Radio/CD player gets fried.

I've read other blogs stating that the BCM (Body Control Module) and PCM (Powertrain Control Module) should be replaced and reprogrammed to eliminate this problem.

If you ever get a solution on the fried radio/cd player problem please let me know!

I really think that all Chevy's are Lemons!
  • eragleeragle Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer for this? I am having the same problem.
  • northerner19northerner19 Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys,

Can anyone help me out?

I have experienced the same 'popping' sound as others have reported.

I have an 2009 Equinox LS with 5000km on it and have also been experiencing the same 'popping' sound at the same speed (18km/hr in my case). I brought it to the dealer - they could not locate the issue. I only hear the sound after a cold start up and accelerate past 18km/hr (does not make the sound at any other speed). If I come to a stop and then accelerate past 18km/hr, I do not hear the sound - it only occurs after a cold startup. The vehicle runs fine, but it sounds like a spring popping...

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
  • klnncklnnc Member Posts: 12
    I am the person who posted the original message on this site regarding this issue. I have heard from numerous mechanics that it is a sound that is inherent to this vehicle. After I owned the car for 2 months, I took it back out of frustration and drove EVERY Equinox on the lot...LS/LT's...they all made the same noise. As you said, it doesnt affect the vehicle and there have been no recalls on it. Let me know if you find anything....thanks
    I own a 2005 Equinox bought it new in April 2005.
    The noise that you're hearing (thump thump thump) or (pop pop pop) is caused by the EVAP "Vent Selonoid" doing it's emissions diagnosis and it's totally normal. It has nothing to do with the speed your going, you will eventually hear it at a stop (always on cold start) The noise comes from underneath the back of the vehicle on cold starts or a couple of seconds after. Mine does the same, sometimes I can hear it and sometimes I don't. That's why some people think that not all Nox's do this particular noise but they all do it occasionally.
    Trust me it's been 4 ½ yrs that I drive my Nox, up to 82,000 miles and I can still hear this weird "thump thump" sound at least once a day and never had problems with that.
    Like I said the system is only doing it's job. Got to live with it.
    Hi laserblue,

I should clarify, it's not a 'pop pop pop' sound, it's more of a "boing" sound.. like a spring sound. It's just happens once (not a consecutive sound).
    Klnnc,

Thanks. I was hoping you would post a reply.

I have not found anything further regarding the issue. I am planning to take a trip to a different GM dealership next month and have them take a look at it. If anything comes up, I will post a comment.

Thanks
  • klnncklnnc Member Posts: 12
    Please let me know, also it is NOT the EVAP as someone else posted. My dealer actually had a notice from the factory about this noise and I do believe I have a copy somewhere. It clearly states that it is just a normal sound to this car. Drive another and you will hear it...
    I'm the one who talked about the EVAP system doing its check and I got my answer directly from G.M., more precisely from Camy Enterprise in Ingersoll Ontario Canada (I think it's near Toronto).
    Received a telephone call from G.M. in 2006 explaining all about that noise and the system.
    So I think I know what I'm talking about here.
    Or maybe G.M. is off the track to KLNNC ?
    They must know what there talking about, they built the truck at that place.
    I thought it would appropriate to dedicate some space to maintenance. Not problems, like the stuck heater, just PM stuff.

Here's my query. The '10 Nox has the old style cartridge type filter, replacing the inner filter but reusing the canister.

How the heck do you separate the cartridge from the canister? It seems you have to hold it in two hands and break the cartridge away like your splitting an ear of corn. Seems a bit messy to have to grab the filter cartridge and yank it out.

Okay, what's the simple solution to remove that cartridge?
  • farmerchrisfarmerchris Member Posts: 2
    did you ever get resolution with this? our 06 is at the Dealers now for the third time with the same problem. they can't ever seem to figure it out.