Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I know your post is from a while ago, but I have a 2005 Equinox. So far its been in the shop over 16 days for faulty gas guage, cracked windshield, and moldy horrific odor. I've only got 2,300 miles on the car. The odor is the worst. Its a very earthy moldy smell. Dlr said its from a leak under the car. Leak was fixed. Also, coolant system is suspect. Coolant was flushed, and all new hoses installed. Finally all carpeting was replaced. Smell still remains. I fear air quality may be hazardous. Help!!!
  • I have a horrible smell in my Nox. Its obNOXious. Moldy. Acrid. Unacceptable. Dlr replaced carpet, changed coolant hoses & flushed system. Also found body seam w/ leak and fixed the leak. Still an absolutely foul smell. Any clothing caught in my Equinox must be sent to cleaner. I am worried about environmental concerns relating to air quality.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    Do you know the axle for the Equinox, I can't seem to be able to find it on the GM site.
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    If I remember correctly, final drive ratio is listed on the window sticker. I checked www.gmbuypower.com and looked up various FWD/AWD models, all trim levels, both 16 and 17" wheels. All the stickers said the final drive ratio was 2.70.

TSB 04-07-30-031A describes operation of the AF33-5 Aisin transaxle. the gear ratios are (1st) 4.685, (2nd) 2.942, (3rd) 1.923, (4th) 1.301, 5th (1.000).
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    2.70 is tall, I guess the 5 speed has the old axle ratio system out of date.
  • There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on this:

Service Information Regarding a Pop/Clunk Noise From the Rear of the
    Vehicle on Initial Cold start and/or During the Warm-Up Drive Cycle -
    Inform Customer of Normal EVAP Vent Solenoid Operation #04-06-05-009B -
    (May 26, 2005)
    Service Information Regarding a Pop/Clunk Noise From the Rear of the
    Vehicle on Initial Cold Start and/or During the Warm-Up Drive Cycle (Inform
    Customer of Normal EVAP Vent Solenoid Operation)

2005-2006 Chevrolet Equinox

2006 Pontiac Torrent

2002-2006 Saturn VUE

Fixed Operations Manager and Technician

This bulletin is being revised to add additional models and model years.
    Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-05-009A (Section 06 --
    Engine/Propulsion System).

Purpose

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide service information regarding a
    normal characteristic of the evaporative emissions (EVAP) control system
    On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) testing. Some customers may comment that they
    hear a pop/clunk noise similar to a backfire type noise from the rear of
    the vehicle during initial cold start and/or during engine warm-up.

The noise may be generated from the EVAP vent solenoid opening and closing
    during the OBD test. The engine control module (ECM) or powertrain control
    module (PCM) performs the EVAP OBD test each ignition cycle the test
    parameters are met. For test parameters, refer to "EVAP System Diagnostics"
    or "Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Set
    Procedure" in the appropriate Service Manual or SI.

Important: To help confirm that the EVAP vent solenoid is the noise the
    customer is hearing, the service technician should have the customer sit in
    the vehicle and listen to the EVAP vent solenoid being cycled using the
    TECH 2. This operation can be found in the Powertrain/Special Function
    section of the TECH 2 menu.

If the noise from the customer comment was from the EVAP vent solenoid, no
    service is required. Replacing the vent solenoid will not change the normal
    sound of the required EVAP vent solenoid test.

If the noise from the customer comment was not from the EVAP vent solenoid,
    the technician should continue diagnosing the customer's concern.
  • The 2006 Chevy Equinox comes with smaller rear headrests...you can go to your dealer and purchase them and they'll fit in the 2005 Equinox
  • Hello all...not to take away any thunder from this website but just wanted to let all you Equinox owners know there is another discussion forum on the Equinox at www.equinoxcentral.com

It is there that you can find almost any answer to your concerns on the Equinox like the foul smell coming from the engine area? There is a service bulletin instructing dealers on the fix for that. There are people from the plant who post on there and can answer questions or get answers for you.

All I ask is take a look...thankyou.
  • i bought my 2006 equinox lt fwd about 4 months ago i traded in my 04 mustang convertible for it why i dont know now. my check engine light was on for many reasons a.) pressure valves faulted,B.)electronics faulted,C.) My ABS we screwed up now they have just ordered me a new radio since mine decided to crap the bed. i called my dealer and told them for the amount of money i pay for this thing i dont expect this granted theres a warranty but im now going to keep going back. today they told me to come in with it there writing me a check for my buy out giving me back my downpayment and im getting the mustang back. chevy is expensive and for the junk they sell its not worth it, never again will i waste my time or money on chevy!!!!
  • Dear Kfy1955,
    Can you describe the issue with the rear differential? I am having problems with the rear end making a type of grinding noise when on slippery surfaces. We are going to bring it in to have it looked at this week but I'd like to get an idea of what you've experienced.
  • Hello All:

Just took delivery 16 days ago on a 2006 Bermuda Green/Grey Cloth AWD LT, with power sunroof, 6-CD Changer, and Side Airbags. :shades: The first few hundred miles everything was A-Ok, however recently I began noticing a snap/crackle/pop noise From around the passanger dash/glovebox area, and occasionally sounds like it could be coming from the passnager door panel also. Its been extremely cold here with lows around 10F and my intial instict was its all the plastic they use breaking in expanding and contracting however it seems to have gotten worse/more frequent now. Has anyone encountered this problem as its driving me nuts!! :mad: Also the driver side window seems to have a ticking cricket like wind noise also. :( So far I really like the look and feel of the car however I gotta find a way to make the sounds go away.
  • Do these noises continue after the cabin is heated up?
  • Yup, they seem to be there all the time.
  • New here. I just drove my nox in deep snow for the first time today. It was a weird feeling. I was pressing on the gas peddle and it seemed like there was no power or like the engine was going to stall. Is this normal or as it happened to someone else?
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    If you have front wheel drive, the traction control system probably kicked in because the wheels were spinning. TC on the Nox does not apply brakes, it reduces engine power (RPM) as low as it needs to, to stop the wheels from spinning, regardless of the position of the gas pedal.

On the Nox the computer normally controls the throttle using input from the pedal position sensor on the gas pedal. When the TC kicks in, the computer ignores the pedal position and reduces the throttle until the wheels stop spinning. You should see a small yellow triangle with an exclamation point in center light up when TC kicks in. Of course if both wheels are spinning and the computer reduces power, the vehicle may not move at all. In this situation you have to turn off the TC system by pushing the button above the radio. You can then control engine speed with the gas pedal.
  • Then what I would want you to try is open your passenger door grab/hold the end corner of the dash and first give it some medium taps to see if the noise is there and then try lifting it slightly to see if the dash is loose. Tap on the door trim panel later to see if anything is loose inside. If you feel or hear something take it to your dealer and tell them what you did and what you suspect.
  • That was it, I took my TC of and the Nox tranformed itself into a tank. Now I'm ready for some snow. Thank's again sgr5516
  • Well, I have to admit that I am glad I found that I was not the only one with problems and wasn't losing my mind. I have a 2005 Equinox LT and have had it now for a year. For a while the wrench light came on and I ignored it, it has happened maybe once now in the past few months. I also had the back fire sound but it has gone away for the most part. My concern right now is the paint around the radio buttons and on the actual buttons is coming off and my biggest concern right now is once in a while it doesn't want to start right away when I turn the ignition. I am planning on going to the dealership to have them look at it. Another problem I noticed is when I am on the freeway in rush hour and I am cruising along without using the break and just a little gas it seems to tug forward and then when I do gas it, it takes a bit to get going and it never did that early on. I still love my car but along with new models come these problems and I am not too happy with the problems I already have had. Hopefully I don't have anymore.
  • Thank you very much for your suggestion, however after trying it I couldn't reproduce the noise myself following your technique, but its still there when driving. The dash and door panel seems to be secured properly however still getting cracking/popping noises. Also on several occasions had the backfire/rear clunking noise after inital startup when cold.
  • I am having some of the same issues with my 2005 Equinox. I am taking it in today for the CD issue and the starting issue. Hopefully they can fix it.