Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kayrah123kayrah123 Posts: 5
    I bought my Equinox in August of '04. My check engine light came on before my first oil change.. and is STILL on!! The first 2 times I brought it in, they blew chop air through the fuel neck and it turned off for a couple weeks. Then they started replacing parts, and it will only stay off for about 24 hrs after i pick it up from the dealer. So far its been a valve, sensor, canister, hose, pipe. I finally called the 1-800 # and they authorized them to replace the COMPUTER! And guess what.. it still came back on. Now they came up with some craziness about replacing a fuel tank module.. or whatever that is. Funny thing is that GM doesnt HAVE a fuel tank module.. GM had to "FIND" one!
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Posts: 94
    I'm glad you had a nice trip to Lake Tahoe!
    I did not need to mention it because your statement is not true.
  • tjmaynardtjmaynard Posts: 3
    Well, here's an update. My husband got disgusted because the noise kept getting louder so he took the car back to the dealer that "fixed" it in the first place and took the service manager for a ride. It wasn't much of a ride since we hear the noise most when you pull in and out of a parking place. They scheduled it in as soon as they could get a rental car available. The service manager called me yesterday to let me know that it was the same problem ... a part in the differential. I will be satisfied as long as the problem is fixed, fixed correctly and doesn't give me any more problems. My concern is that this is going to be an ongoing thing that I will have to pay to have repaired even though Chevy knows it's a problem. If anyone has any inside tips on what I can do to keep the company liable for this ... please let me know.
  • paul62paul62 Posts: 2
    I now had the flush to the coolant system and new hoses installed twice. The last time they replaced the heating coil too. Average repair time is 8-10 calendar days.

Now that is occuring again, I contacted GM Customer Service to ask if they would specifically warrant the same occurence and fix once the warranty expires (next summer for me). They said they would look at any request I made at the time I made it and consider at that time. However, the flush and hoses would never be covered because the procedures are classified as maintenance items which are not covered under an extended warranty.

I requested they pay 50% for the purchase of an extended warranty; because I'm sure I'll have other future problems. They could not do it. Bottom line - they couldn't help me out at all and directed me back to the dealer.

I get the feeling GM Cust SVC is a huge call center because I could hear another conversation between a different cust rep and an obviously angry owner. Although I could only hear one side of the conversation,guess what type of vehicle was being discussed?

If you said the Equinox, your right!

Other warranty work has been replacement of steering column,strut,and several more that I can't recall at this time.

This Nox is going to Carmax for $16K wholes sale: 2005 AWD LT w/leather, onstar, etc. What shame!

Good luck to all of you.
    I think the caller in the background at customer service was ME!! Ive called them numerous times, and get the same lame responses. No one seems to do anything or offer any type of help, except offering to contact the dealer... big deal.. so can I, I have the dealer on speed dial. They've had my car for 5 weeks now. Disgusting.
  • hi
    I hope this helps everyone with a nasty smell to their nox.
    Yesterday my nox was giving off a terrible smell...almost like vapor of some kind. I immediately shut my air off(yuck was a hot day) and sat up all night worrying that I had to call my dealer again with yet another problem on my brand new 2006 equinox. ( 2 times I have had major repairs... fuel line and brakes...I only have 3,100 miles since i purchased it new in Nov,2005) anyway, i took it to my local manchanic who i have used for years to see if it was safe to drive to the dealer. Much to my surprise, he showed me the problem (he claims it is a very common one with suv's) I had ran over a plastic bag that attached itself to the exhaust system and that was causing the smell. For a very small fee, he had his manchanic scrape as much as they could and advised me to have the the car washed at a car wash so it would remove more of the plastic. he claims I may still smell it until it burns itself out....I am a happy camper for now.
    Thought I would share this information and hope it helps some of you. Good luck...I personaly would never buy a chevy again.
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    I wouldn't either, Chevy and those pesky plastic bags. How do they sleep at night. I'm just kidding, I'd just wait a little bit longer before you pass judgment on your Nox. A lot of cars have bugs to be worked out when you first buy them. Unfortunately Honda and Toyota are not immune to this as most would believe.
  • tjmaynardtjmaynard Posts: 3
    Here's a more recent update than the previous one. The service manager called me to let me know that the part they ordered for the differential won't fit so they are going to replace the entire differential in my 'Nox. I don't care as long as it fixes the problem permanently. I just wouldn't want the same thing to happen with this vehicle as my last ... the warranty runs out and all of a sudden there are a multitude of problems. We've had more luck with the used cars we've purchased in the last few years than the new ones ... Makes me not want to buy another new car.
  • dowopdowop Posts: 25
    I have 22000 miles on my Equinox.
    I bought it 2yrs ago .
    After having the rotors turned then replaced I now have a loud noise when I turn the steering wheel.
    Seems to be coming from the right front.
    Also have a loud noise coming from the back when moving & turning.
    Any suggestions?
    I am GM retiree & want to stay loyal to GM.
    But I am really getting disgusted.
  • wcutbushwcutbush Posts: 1
    We bought our 2005 nox in August 2004. This spring I noticed a paint bubble. The dealer did repair it without quibble but now I see lots of little rust dots on the car. I wonder if the whole paint job is crummy. I'll be watching. Anyone else?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Try washing with a clay bar and see if that helps the rust spots. Check out Paint and Body Maintenance & Repair or Store Bought Waxes Part II (No Zaino Posts) for details -- (if you aren't familiar with clay bars, they remove paint impurities; look for them at autoparts stores in the wax section for ~$10 to $15 USD).

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Update on noise.
    Took it to the dealer today.
    They said it was the Sruts making the noise in the front.
    The differential is making the noise in the back.
    They said the parts will take a couple of days to get in.
    My question is should this be coverd under warranty?
    I did not ask while I was at the dealer.
  • bossenoxbossenox Posts: 4
    hey - if you read a little further back - I've been having the same issue. I took it into the dealer - they replaced the struts - it didn't help - went back again - replaced the suspension (apparently) - it helped - but about 3-5 months later - it came up AGAIN - apparently there is NO real fix - but this XXX amount of times im bringing it in - im taking it to a higher level. It is NOW covered under warrenty - but when the warranty is up - then WHAT??? - im' not willing to pay every 3-5 months....
    i'll let everyone know what happens :confuse:
    The dealer is going to replace the front stabilizers instead of the struts.
    They are also going to replace the differential tomorrow.
    The service department at my dealer has been great.
    My warranty is up in 11 months.
    I dont want to shell out $1800.00 for a extended warranty.
    I really like the Equinox concept.
    But I am concerned with the problems I have had.
    I am thinking about trading for a Malibu Max.
  • bossenoxbossenox Posts: 4
    i would love to know if it works because im taking in the truck next week
    keep me posted
  • icedog97icedog97 Posts: 141
    Funny you should say that...we had a Maxx and got an Equinox.

We liked the Maxx a lot, but it was not without it's little hiccups...

While we never had any suspension work done, I had noticed that the front suspension had become increasingly more noisy as time wore on. Not so much in the turning phase, but definitely more rattling on bumps or rougher road surfaces.

We also had some button/lever issues...paint comming off the radio power on/volume button, the hood release lever comming off completely and the rear passenger seat level snapped in half one day (all small warranty stuff).

The skylight surround in the back is actually pretty flimsy (was on the 2004, it may be better now) and the screens that covered the skylights were easily retracted by accident (road bumps). The surround on ours had to be replaced because one of the clips that held it in place broke.

I know it sounds like I am beating on the Maxx, but we really did like it. We got decent MPG with it (20 in almost all stop and go type city driving and 30 on a trip to and from Hilton Head in 2005 - that's 30 MPG over 1400 miles...pretty damn good for a v6!!!)

We recently went with the Nox because of good rebates and my wife loved how they looked/drove. She really wanted one when we got the Maxx. So far ours has been good, but it's WAY too early to say how it will end up...we have only had it a week!
    The sad part is that besides the previously mentione repairs I have had is the Dealer just replaced all 4 wheels because the clear coat was peeling off.
    I am just worried that once my warranty is out the problems that were corrected will reappear.
    I would really like to know if anyone has had 40-50,000 miles with out to many problems.
    I have read the Malibu Maxx is pretty trouble free with quite a few miles on them.
    I see the Horsepower has gone up for 2007 to 217.
    I dont think that would be a reason not to buy a 2006.
    I am also thinking about going back to a Montecarlo.
    I had 4 off them that I put about 50,000 miles on each with out hardly any problems.
    The gas mileage on the last one a 2001 was a lot better than my Knox.
    I forgot to mention that the antifreeze looks like mud.
    But I dont have any odor.
    Does anyone know what is involved with a Buyback from GM? Im trying to figure out what to do with this useless vehicle.
    I have never heard of Clear Coat peeling off wheels of a new vehicle unless a wrong wheel cleaner was used?

I do know if you use one of those spray on "Wheel Cleaners" (that will release brake dust on contact) on the WRONG type of wheel composition it will "release" the Clear Coat on wheels! or other interesting problems.
    So be careful what cleaner you use to clean your nice wheels!

Water with a little "Mr. Clean", or bring out "Mrs. Clean", which works for me! ;)