Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• carstrykecarstryke Posts: 168
    edited March 2010
    When i shift it into reverse it is really loud noisey and grumbley .....however it works perfectly fine in drive/park ....any idea's on what this is
  • Has anyone had the occasion of driving on a rainy day, or through a car wash, and having your 2005 Chevy Equinox get "stuck"? It's like it's in neutral. When it dries out, you're ready to go, but not until it's dried out. I've also noticed that the day running lights also flicker then go out when it's raining, or in a car wash.

I would love some feedback please......I've got no idea!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,083
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you taken your vehicle to the dealership to have them look at the concern? What is the VIN on the vehicle, and the current mileage? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • azekissazekiss Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    Well after several days and tries at the dealership to fix the torrent of water comming in the cabin, the dealer asked when I had the windshield replaced because they had traced the issue to the windshield. I had to think long and hard and even had to call the insurance company to find out if I had ever had it replaced. turns out I did, IN 05, the dealer said that it was a aftermarket window that was installed improperly and had leaked. When I asked why did it take 5 years to do this there was a dumfounded look on thier face. So I got the windshield replaced and of course it stopped raining in the desert sooooo we shall see what happens when the monsoons come back this summer.
  • I'm rotating the tires on my 2007 Equinox with 16" wheels. Can't find the wheel torque setting in the manual or on the pillar. Anyone know what it is?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,883
    100 lbs.

• runoxrunox Posts: 153
    edited April 2010
    A) Run a water hose over it for 15 minutes and flood the seals. B) Take it to a drive through car wash. The pressure from the blowers that remove the excess water should send water inside to be sure it's sealed.
  • noxguynoxguy Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Odometer light quit working, is it a bulb or electronic? What is the repair procedure? (2005 Equinox LT)
  • rdobardoba Posts: 1
    I really like my wife's 2010 Equinox. She has had it for over six months now and it has less than 3,000 miles on it. But... it has had to go into the shop twice for sway bar problems. Who ever heard of that??? I have had a multitude of cars over my 63 years and none have ever had sway bar problems. It sounds like the whole front end is coming apart when they go bad, pretty scary. Let's see how long these things last. We have gone through a left and a right in the past month. The dealership says they must have gotten some "bad" ones in. Reading other posts make me suspicious that Chevy has a problem here.
  • mapram1mapram1 Posts: 10
    I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Equinox LS for $11K and am researching Extended Warranty plans. Can't believe they're so expensive. Can just about afford the vehicle. Does anyone have a 2006 and, if so, what repairs have your experienced? Any company with a bad reputation? Who should I not deal with? I've heard of so many scams. What is a good warranty? Carchex said their warranties are bumper-to-bumper but don't know if I believed the rep. Awaiting his comparison plans. I want to be able to take it to my local mechanic - not the dealer - it's too far. Is it advisable to go with a GMPP? Have there been any recalls? So many questions. Will appreciate any information.
    Thank you.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,083
    Hello Rdoba,
    I apologize that you have been experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me your contact information so I can talk to you further about this? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • commuter10commuter10 Posts: 26
    I have a 2006 with about 36,000 miles. The alternator, a resistor that controls the daytime running lights, a chrome trim piece on the back, and the battery all have been replaced. I bought the GM extended warranty so I cannot help you with the aftermarket ones (it covered the resistor - all the rest were covered under the original warranty). I have been very happy with the car and the GM warranty service.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    This is want has been done on my 2005 Equinox...

4,484 miles: Machine both front discs (warped).
    Change the windshield washer pump (didn't spray).
    Air conditioning control lever stucked. (couldn't turn).
    Fix cruise control (always disengaging itself).
    5,232 miles: Had to change the air conditioning sensor (no cold air).
    6,513 miles: Changed the tailgate weather strip (pintch and thorn).
    11,627 miles: Machine both front discs (warped).
    12,942 miles: Change the tailgate weather strip (pinch and thorn).
    14,959 miles: Change alarm system module (alarm went off anytime).
    19,569 miles: Changed the o ring of the drive case sensor input. (oil leak). Had the brake pedal greased (squeaking pivots).
    Replace left rear hub bearing (humming sound).
    Alarm system warning light on (bad sensor).
    21,876 miles: Replace 2 front discs (warped) couldn't machine them.
    22,431 miles: Top brake light (top of tailgate)...rattle that never could be fixed.
    22,756 miles: Change the radio unit (C.D. was stuck in player).
    23,434 miles: Change the radio unit (couldn't insert C.D.'s).
    30,500 miles: Replace the Head Gasket.
    32,230 miles: Replace front brakes.
    33,819 miles: Replace gas cap. (wouldn't click when closing).

39,334 miles: BYE BYE 2005 EQUINOX LT
    ( 24 may 2005 --- 6 mai 2010)

HELLO 2010 HHR 2LT
    ( 6 mai 2010 with 4 miles on)
    After reading your tale of woe, laserblue, I guess it's just as well that my mechanic gave the thumbs down on the 2006 Equinox. Among other things, he found water under the spare in the cargo area. BUT I'd like to keep this post open...I still need to know of a reputable extended warranty company.

I really want an SUV/Crossover but can't find one in my price range with low mileage. I'll keep looking. Don't want to, but I may have to settle for an older model or a hatchback.

Thanks for your post too, commuter10.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    In my opinion the only good extended warranty company is the auto manufacturer you buy from, in this case a GM extended warranty. EVERYONE else will make you jump through the hoops trying to find any reason for not honnoring the warranty. If you do buy one buy one that lists what is NOT covered and covers everything else that is not listed.
    As you may have read, the deal for the Equinox fell thru; didn't pass my mechanic's inspection. I am now looking at a 2002 Hyundai Sante Fe w/decent mileage.

This is why I wanted to keep my post open; I need all the suggestions I can get when it comes to an extended warranty. I've read elsewhere what you said - about having everything listed that is EXCLUDED. I recently learned that my nephew used to sell extended warranties so when the time comes to purchase one, I'll have him review it.

Thanks for your reply.
  • The key in my 2006 Equinox (90,000) wouldn't go past the accessory position without jiggling it. Got worse after a couple days; had a key made at dealer ($70) to see if the problem was the key or the ignition. Key didn't work so drove car to mechanic. New ignition, another key, and labor to replace was another $650. Note: I searched internet and this is not an unusual problem with this car.
  • mzcarmonamzcarmona Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 LT, same issue w/ mine.One day I got in the car and notice the odometer light was no longer working on mine, Not sure what it is, but sure have had a lot of trouble w/ this car since we bought it in 2008. Pretty sure after doing so much research lately on problems w/ the 2006...there should be some recalls. Anyone have trouble with their check engine light coming on all the time? If it's not one thing it is another. I could understand if we did not stay up w/ the up keep....but we do. Want to get a new car soooooo bad, but I know it will not be :mad: a equinox ever again!
  • mzcarmonamzcarmona Posts: 2
    My always is.........ever since we bought it in 2008. Anyone else have this issue? :cry:
  • I bought a 2006 Equinox AWD LT brand new. Early on I noticed the same problems with the rattling noise on the front drivers side, usually on a little rougher pavement. Didn't think too much of it. By 30,000 miles I realised it was the front shocks/struts. I had replaced the rear ones around 25,000 miles because one leaked and the walls of the shock were grinding. I replace the front and rear shocks, which are oil filled, with KYB gas shocks. Not to try and sell KYB but they are working great still at 68,000 miles. Just go with gas shock instead of the oil filled made in Brazil shocks that come with the car. Next problem, heater went out. A door or valve was not working and had to be replaced. Good thing the car was still under warranty other wise it would be a $1200 repair, $100 part and a full days labor to take the dash out and repair heater door/valve. Next problem, like many of you, ROTORS! First time was around the 25,000 miles and had them turned. Then around 32,000 warped again, had them replaced, all under warranty. Then around 45,000 miles new rotors are warped and because my car is no longer under warranty I replaced the rotors and pads myself with parts from Advance Auto Parts. I wanted to try a different brand other than GM eventhough the rotors that Chevy put on are BOSCH, which I thought would be good rotors and very well could be. Anyway, at 57,000 miles rotors are warped, yaaahh! Im bringing it in next monday to have the braking system looked at. They have on record my previous visits and I will let them know that I even switched brands of rotors and type of brake pads, OEM pads are ceramic so I tried semi-metallic but will go back to ceramic because the semi ones squealed a lot. My theory on the rotors are that they are undersized, along with the calipers, for this size of vehicle. Also my rims are the standard black rims with the gray hum caps, so my thinking is that the standard rims don't allow for as much air to cool off the front face of the rotors and pads because they have less openings than the aluminum mag wheels that are optional on the Equinox. Could also be a combination of the two. I'll follow up next Tuesday After I get the car back from the shop.
  • My advice:

1.) Buy new
    2.) Buy the service manuals from the manufacturer
    3.) Buy the Haynes manual from your local parts store
    4.) Immediately start reading and learning about your new car so that when problems start happening in the 3rd or 4th year you can either repair it yourself or at least have an idea how to troubleshoot it before taking the car in to a "professional".

An informed/knowledgeable owner is a happier owner.
  • Which brand of rotors did you install? I just put a set of Wagners (from Advance) on my '97 Taurus (@~185,000 miles). Think I paid about $75 for them. The originals from the factory were warped from DAY ONE, but I refused to replace them, thinking they'd grind themselves down over time. Well, they sort of did (or maybe I just got used to the rumble), but now with the new dics - smooth as glass. Amazing how such a simple fix can make the car feel like brand new again!

Maybe your vehicle DOES have undersized rotors, or maybe your replacements were poor quality from China (I was shocked to see "Made in China" on my Wagners/Federal Mogul - something I was trying to avoid), or maybe someone air-gunned your lug nuts (over-tightening them)? Another reason could be the discs mounting unevenly on the hub (rust buildup behind?).

The brake squeal is usually caused by the pad vibrating in its bore (in the caliper) - if it's a new pad. If it's an old pad, it could be the metal "hook" that is designed to cause a squeal to indicate the pad is worn (way down). Some people smear that pad goop on the backside during install to stop the squealing. I've never used it and have only very rarely heard any squealing from the pads on any of my vehicles. I think the cause of the squeal is variability in the making of the pad's metal body. I don't think they're all exactly the same size. Plus you've got the caliper bore possibly wearing over time, too...
  • Took car in to have radio checked keeps going in and out and the door chimes do not work when you open doors. Well its not the fuses its the amplifier yes thats over 1000 to fix. How does this go bad? Car is 2005 equinox I have cars over 10 years old and this does not happen.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Dear (bhollander), they had to change my entire unit and to make things worse, they always replace it with a "rebuilt".
    My radio was playing o.k. but the problem was the C.D.
    Unit # 1 (The original) I couldn't insert a C.D.
    Unit # 2 Same thing.
    Unit # 3 The unit couldn't read the C.D.
    Unit # 4 The C.D. got stucked inside the unit ( lost my C.D.)
    Unit # 5 I couldn't insert a C.D.
    Unit # 6 Was still working after 4 months but I traded the Equinox for a 2010 HHR.
    The HHR 2LT and it"s a jewel and fun to drive.

P.S. you are not alone with the 2005's Radio/C.D. units.
  • Edmunds has a great schedule but, when I was in ther service department, the advisor had a completely different schedule list and a kinda scary price list. Anyone knw where I can find the Mr Goodwrench scheduled maintenance listing?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,562
    edited October 2010
    Edmunds gets the maintenance information from Chevy.

The other stuff on the dealer or Goodyear's recommended list may be ok to do, but it's not what Chevy says needs to be done.

Remember that most service writers work on commission and most will try to upsell you services that your car may not need.

Instead of asking for a 30k service, you can just ask that the mechanics just do the specific items that Chevy recommends be done. If the price still seems outrageous, say so, and go elsewhere.

Get ratings & reviews on car dealers & repair shops in your neighborhood

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Everything you need to know about maintenance schedules are in the back of your owners manual. It is your best friend, read and use it.
  • I may be able to give you a clue of another underlying problem you are having since I experienced the same thing. I thought my rim was bent, my tires were bad, my rotor was warped after having them turned. What the real root cause of the issue was a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly. It will grind and make a rubbing noise as the bearing were shot inside hub. You might want to jack up your car and try to see if there is any play in your wheel, there should be none.
  • LOL!..i'm reading these post's wondering what are they talking about. Chris
    Isn't it just a tad late to reply to a post of 3 years ago? :confuse: