Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have just returned my 06 equinox and happen to have 4 blizzak winter tires that I used for two winters. Wouldn't have gone without them. I'm willing to sell them since I've downgraded to a smaller vehicule.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    What kind of smaller vehicule are you thinking about?

I own a 2005 Equinox LT and I'm thinking of downgrading to a smaller vehicule to. I was thinking of a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt but hesitating.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    Just bought a set of winter tires for my my 05 Equinox. First set of winter tires in my 33 years of driving. Now I'm a bit confused because on the tires it says maximum inflation 45 lbs p.s.i.
    I never went over 35 p.s.i. in my 4 season tires, maybe winter tires need more air pressure?.

My question is.... Should I follow the tire recommendation or the "vehicule/owner's manual" recommendation?
    Some say "Go with the tire's" and others say "By what's written on the door panel". 10 p.s.i. difference is alot. I need some advice.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960
    Maximum isn't the same as optimal. The recommendation in your owner's manual is set by the manufacturer for ride comfort, traction and economy, comfort probably being number 1 in their calculations.

People often tweak the psi (generally a few pounds higher) for better mpg or for hauling a lot of weight around, but going to the max can bounce you all over the road, which isn't too safe.

If you put the max pressure in your tires, you'll reduce the size of the footprint on the road and with a smaller contact patch, they'll probably be more slippery. And they'll likely wear out faster in the center of the tread.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 2006 Chevy Equinox LT1, 52k miles. My rear hatch/liftgage stopped unlocking. Can not open liftgage.Can not hear any actuator or other noise from rear hatch door when lock or unlock on key fob pressed. Does not seem to be separate fuse or relay for rear hatch. Have swapped all power door related relays (that I have found). Have resynchonized key per owners manual - no change. Owner's manual makes no mention of "emergency" release to open liftgate.
    Dealer says there is no easy way in, that I must bring in and have technician pry off door panel.
    Please help, how do I open rear hatch.
    Thanks,
    Doug
  • I just bought an 05 Equinox LT AWD with 39,000 miles on it. It has a very noticable "whole car" vibration that occurs when accelerating between 40 and 50 mph. The vibration goes away after exceeding 50mph, and there is no vibration between 40-50 mph when coasting or braking, only when accelerating. Any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks
  • I have a used 2006 Equinox with 35,000 and was experiencing the SAME problem. Took it to the dealer (thankfully still under warranty) and he very quickly said it was a Steering Column problem - said it's a fairly common problem with these. I was honestly skeptical, but what da' heck, wasn't costing me anything. They ordered the new column and a week later I went back for the install. KNOCKED THE PROBLEM OUT COLD - completely. My 'Nox handles better than when I bought it and there is no vibration of any kind anymore in the 40-55 range (or anywhere for that matter). Totally corrected it.
  • I have a 2005 Chev Equinox - this is the first time I have put winter tires on a vehicle....ever! My all seasons were P235/60R 17. The tire dealer did not have this size but said that the P235/65R 17's would work. I had them installed and besides being noisy (which I was told to expect), when I cut the wheels sharply (to back in a space etc.) they scrape like crazy! Are these tires too big for my vehicle? I wondered also if maybe the mudflaps were causing it. Being a novice to winter tires I'm not sure if this is normal or not. Please help.
  • Hi all, I have a 08 LT I find when I have it in dash vent mode or any combination of the vents the one to the left of the steering wheel does not blow very much. I know it wont be as strong as the center vents, but it seems to be really lacking. Just wondering if anyone else has experience this, or is it just me?? Thanks
  • klnncklnnc Posts: 12
    Yes, I noticed the same thing...I bet the passenger side does it too. Did you also notice that when you have too much running, i.e. the radio, AC, lights that the AC fan cuts down no matter what speed you have it on? It cycles down a step. The reason is that the generator in the car cannot handle the load put on it. Chevy knows this since they sent out a notice to the dealers and there is nothing they can do about it. Also, do you have a bang sound from your left front end when you first drive the car, and again after it has been sitting for a while...it happens only at 20 mph, once, and then not again. Example, if you get up to 20, hear the bang, then stop, it wont happen again when you get to 20 unless the car has sat for while. Mine is a 2008 and I am dissapointed in quite a few things....probably would not buy it again if I had to do it over...
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    You have gone to a taller tire and they are definitely too large. Tire dealer should replace free of charge.
  • None of my aux. power plug ins work. Where is the fuse for them?
  • The fuse for the accessory outlet and lighter are in the under hood fuse
    block. It is labeled AUX PWR. It is a 20 amp fuse.
  • if you clean the seats, you will have a waterspot, right. if you get the whole seat wet, the whole seat is 'water-stained'- which actually just darkens the seat a little, but you cannot see a stain. just wet down the entire seat
  • Can anyone else tell me their experiences using the Equinox MP3 Jack/Aux feature with their iPods? We just bought a 2008 Equinox and the jack works, but you have to crank up the volume just to hear it. Thanks.
  • klnncklnnc Posts: 12
    Be sure that the volume is up on your ipod first...then the volume on the radio control. Can you tell me if you have an LT or LS
  • I have a 05 model. for the last six months, the abs and tc light keep coming on. It's an intermitten occurance and the dealer can't diagnose unless the light is on. I took the car to Midas when it first started happening since the car is out of warranty. They replaced the left front wheel bearing three times without fixing the problem. they finally returned my money. The problem continues and the brakes are starting to feel like they are 'binding". this also happens intermitten. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    I had written this back in May.
    On my 05 Equniox I just turned in that I leased (I now have the 08 Pontiac Torreant instead), the following things happened to it,some of the following may sound familiar:

GM Warranty Items Covered
    Prolong starting crank - They replaced fuel pump module - 382 mls
    Popping noise in the front - They had to replace both front struts - 8,130 mls
    Steering grinds on sharp turns - They had to replace both sway bars - 15,752 mls
    Rear growling like noise - They had to replace rear differential - 17,115 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the right rear speed sensor - 24,236 mls
    ABS light came on - They had to replace left front speed sensor - 32,115
    ABS light came on - They had to replace the left front speed sensor wire harness - 32,815

The whirring noise - They had to replace the right rear bearing.- 32,079 mls

Dont ever lease four years, I happened to get a major discount on the extended warranty with no deductible, thank God. Even though the SUV only had 32,079 mls, it was in the fourth year when the the rear bearing went, so the extended warranty paid for itself and then some.

Brakes 32,100 mls normal these days for brakes to be replaced - I replaced the rotors and brake pads myself, you should never cut the rotors in a lot of these newer cars, they are to thin, and are fairly cheap to replace.

Tires 34,350 mls they were bad had to change them I was getting to many flats and some sliding in the rain.

Dead battery 35,963 not normal (thats a Delco battery for ya) I replaced it with an Interstate Battery.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    Mine is also a 2005 LT FWD.
    I presently have 27,000 miles on it. My biggest problem was with warped rotors had to machined them once every year and then G.M. replaced them on warranty because they were to thin to be machined once more. My first repair on warranty was a faulty windshield washer reservoir pump then the replacement of the rubber weather strip between the rear spoiler (tailgate) and roof and a left rear wheel bearing. All those repairs were on warranty. That's about it and it's been 4 yrs now that I bought my Equinox (new).
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    There's proabaly more to come, like I said in my message 4 year lease dont ever go past the warranty period and for get the extended one I had that to what a waste of money or GM points.
    Unfortunately after the 32,000 mark because it was past the 3 year mark like your Nox, I had to pay for the brakes and the battery (again not covered under the extended warranty) when the battery was dying so I brought it to the dealer to have it checked, they wanted $350 to replace it ( there are no decimal place errors in my figure ) so I had my friend who owns a station put in $100 cash. All of the other stuff before that was under the normal warranty.