Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Equinox Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    edited March 2010
    colt hero has probably nailed it. Good grief, I have no idea why your technician would pick a very unlikely cause to say the least and pass up the most obvious one. Common sense would tell us (if we really stopped and thought it over I mean) that even if the antenna were completely *missing* it would take days of rain for enough to fall into that little hole and flood a car.

I would definitely take colt's advice and explore the plugged fresh air vent drainage.

VISITING HOST

• Odometer light on my Equinox 2005 has quit working. Does anyone know what is the repair procedure?
  • misty8misty8 Posts: 15
    Same thing just happened to me when someone pushed the odometer reset button with the engine off. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to take to the dealer for repair.
  • azekissazekiss Posts: 5
    Well as an update...this still has not been fixed, today I am taking it back for the 3rd time because there is still water getting in. Last week the said that there was a problem where the plastic cowl around the window rattled its way somehow under the window causing the leak, Well they said they sealed it and tested it and there was no leak, Well needless to say it still leaks...
  • The Equinox is known for leaks so it could be water that has already collected in the car (check spare tire area). I also have an 05 and it developed a really bad leak. Managed to trace it to the sunroof. Remove the visor and then the side trim (pop out little cover and it is held in by one screw). Pull the door frame trim off and you can drop the roof lining. What had happened is the hard pipe had come out but was now too short to reach. It seems that the flex part moves down but will not move back so over a period of time it pulls the pipe out. Cut the hard pipe in two and inserted a small length of tubing to extend it back. Very easy repair and took less that 1/2 hour
  • 05 Equinox 112000 miles had since new. No major problems except for leak from sunroof which I have repaired. This leak caused some water to get on harness (pop off cover on drivers side behind hood release). Cleaned connection as fan had stopped working. Fan is fine now and has been for a few months. Then today the drivers window will not work at all. All other windows are fine. Any ideas where to start looking?
  • sassysuesassysue Posts: 1
    I have no manual and the service light above the gas guage just came on and I have no clue, can anyone let me know what it could be. Thank you
  • colt_herocolt_hero Posts: 104
    edited March 2010
    That story sounds ridiculous to me. I suppose the cowl COULD rattle loose if enough of the fasteners broke (or were otherwise missing), but this shouldn't have any effect on a water leak because the cowl is (typically) just a decorative molding - it's not waterproof. Forget about those bozos looking at your car and remove the cowl yourself - or if you can't do it, get someone who can while you're watching. You need to start eliminating potential sources of this leak.

Have you tried hosing the car down with someone inside watching for the first sign of a leak? Try a very directed spray into the cowl area being careful not to overspray to another area. If no leak, try another directed spray in another area (say, a sunroof - if you have one). You may have to make a temporary dam to keep the water confined to the area you're focusing on. The most likely place is the cowl area. It's where all the windshield runoff ends up. It's the same thing with a roof and downspout. The roof can leak, yes, but the bigger leak threat is the runoff of all that water collected by the roof than goes down the downspout to the ground beside the foundation. If the water is not run away from the foundation, it'll find its way into the basement of the house.
  • laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    How long has it been since you have done an oil change?
    Your Equinox might need one.
    If the oil change has been done...did you or the dealer/garage reset the system?
  • colt_herocolt_hero Posts: 104
    http://gmprotectionplanwarranty.com/owners-manual/chevrolet/2005-Chevrolet-Equin- ox.pdf

Download your owner's manual from this link and read it from front to back. Page 3-30, 3.31 more specific to your problem . Sounds like you're describing the CHECK ENGINE light (the bottommost light just above the gas gauge). Try re-seating your gas cap. It could be one of those errant emmissions codes that pops up when the computer thinks the cap is not on right (I got this code ONCE on my '02 Impala a couple of years ago). If the light stays on, drop by an AutoZone parts store and ask them to read your computer - they do it for free. Or buy a reader and do it yourself ... readers cost ~$50 ... I think even Wal-Mart sells them now. Make sure it says that it can read OBD-II codes, although I doubt you'll be able to find one that DOESN'T. Every car built after 1995 uses the OBD-II system. Before that was OBD-I. To read the codes, you simply plug the reader into the socket/plug just under the lip of the car's dash (usually near your knee - looks like a parallel printer plug, sometimes it has a plastic cover over it). Then you press the READ button on the reader and it pulls the codes off the computer and into the reader. Then you press a scroll button on the reader and note the code numbers (there may be more than one). The code numbers give a clue as to what the problem is (sometimes they hit the problem right on the head). After noting the numbers, you press the ERASE button on the reader and it clears the computer's memory. If the problem has been fixed (or gone away), the dash light will stay off, otherwise the code will return and the light will come back on.
  • carstrykecarstryke Posts: 168
    edited March 2010
    When i shift it into reverse it is really loud noisey and grumbley .....however it works perfectly fine in drive/park ....any idea's on what this is
  • Has anyone had the occasion of driving on a rainy day, or through a car wash, and having your 2005 Chevy Equinox get "stuck"? It's like it's in neutral. When it dries out, you're ready to go, but not until it's dried out. I've also noticed that the day running lights also flicker then go out when it's raining, or in a car wash.

I would love some feedback please......I've got no idea!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Have you taken your vehicle to the dealership to have them look at the concern? What is the VIN on the vehicle, and the current mileage? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • azekissazekiss Posts: 5
    edited April 2010
    Well after several days and tries at the dealership to fix the torrent of water comming in the cabin, the dealer asked when I had the windshield replaced because they had traced the issue to the windshield. I had to think long and hard and even had to call the insurance company to find out if I had ever had it replaced. turns out I did, IN 05, the dealer said that it was a aftermarket window that was installed improperly and had leaked. When I asked why did it take 5 years to do this there was a dumfounded look on thier face. So I got the windshield replaced and of course it stopped raining in the desert sooooo we shall see what happens when the monsoons come back this summer.
  • I'm rotating the tires on my 2007 Equinox with 16" wheels. Can't find the wheel torque setting in the manual or on the pillar. Anyone know what it is?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    100 lbs.

• runoxrunox Posts: 153
    edited April 2010
    A) Run a water hose over it for 15 minutes and flood the seals. B) Take it to a drive through car wash. The pressure from the blowers that remove the excess water should send water inside to be sure it's sealed.
  • noxguynoxguy Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    Odometer light quit working, is it a bulb or electronic? What is the repair procedure? (2005 Equinox LT)
  • rdobardoba Posts: 1
    I really like my wife's 2010 Equinox. She has had it for over six months now and it has less than 3,000 miles on it. But... it has had to go into the shop twice for sway bar problems. Who ever heard of that??? I have had a multitude of cars over my 63 years and none have ever had sway bar problems. It sounds like the whole front end is coming apart when they go bad, pretty scary. Let's see how long these things last. We have gone through a left and a right in the past month. The dealership says they must have gotten some "bad" ones in. Reading other posts make me suspicious that Chevy has a problem here.
  • mapram1mapram1 Posts: 10
    I'm in the process of buying a 2006 Equinox LS for $11K and am researching Extended Warranty plans. Can't believe they're so expensive. Can just about afford the vehicle. Does anyone have a 2006 and, if so, what repairs have your experienced? Any company with a bad reputation? Who should I not deal with? I've heard of so many scams. What is a good warranty? Carchex said their warranties are bumper-to-bumper but don't know if I believed the rep. Awaiting his comparison plans. I want to be able to take it to my local mechanic - not the dealer - it's too far. Is it advisable to go with a GMPP? Have there been any recalls? So many questions. Will appreciate any information.
    Thank you.