Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Great Hybrid Battery Debate

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    If I buy a hybrid, I want a warranty given in years, not meaningless mileage.

Well, 8 years is the shortest hybrid battery warranty in the US for most states whereas 10 years is the warranty in the CARB states.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    A 10 year unconditional guarantee is good enough.

Now that the batteries are guaranteed long enough, the prices will have to come down. I don't see any re sale value on a 10 year old hybrid that the battery is out of warranty.
    Yep that's exactly what it is in the CARB states. 8 years elsewhere.

The resale on a 10 y.o. hybrid is likely to be the same as the resale on a 10 y.o. non-hybrid, about $1000-$2000. Maybe if it's in good shape and runs and the miles are not ridiculously high. At 15 yrs they both are worth the same...Nothing.
  • The unconditional guarantee isn't exactly that. Yoou can quote all you want about coporate information as kdhspyder has but you then have to look at the real environment. There have been failures of the batteries whereby the car is basically unuseable, howver the Car Vendoor has stated thtat the battery has not failed to the level that it warrants replacement. So what do you do? The car vendor says the battery is good becuase it hasn't fallen to its replacement threshold measurement but the consumer has a sup-par car.

Failure is in the eye of the beholder.

Think about rechargeable batteries; I am sure you have bought them. They state they can be recharged up to 1,000 times. But after awhile well, well below a thousand charges the battery losses its charge very,very quickly. Does it still work? Yes Has it failed? No is it really useable? NO.

Honda Insights have had failures. Toyotas Hybrid owners have reported failures; but Toyota says there have been no failures. Who is right? Maybe it is the legal defintion of failure.

Batterires fail. If anyone thinks a battery will last 8 years or 10 years then good luck. Just remember the words "Caveat Emptor".

MidCow
    Well stated.

Batteries start ramping down the day they are manufacured. An NiMH cell loses capacity over time whether it is used or not. After 5 years in 100 Deg. heat, it is bound to lose a signiifcant percentage of its capacity. Individual cells can vary too. Some cells in the pack die or lose significant capacity sooner than others. The more cells in a pack, the higher likelihood of individual cell failure. I would like to see some real world tests on 10 year old packs, but that's almost impossible because there are probably none actually that old yet.
    Well since we are reaching the 5,6 and 7 year mark on the the Prius' your theory will begin to be proven or disproven, although it's unlikely than anyone has driven their vehicles in the Sahara for the last 5 years.

There are still no indications that there is any deterioration in performance in the early Prius ( there weren't many on the road initially though ).
    There are still no indications that there is any deterioration in performance in the early Prius

How do you know? It takes cell capacity tests to prove that. The absence of widespread complaints prove nothing.

One doesn't have to drive in the Sahara for underhood temperatures to reach 120F. Not only that, but NiMH cells are notorious for generating internal heat from normal charge and discharge.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    NiMH cells are notorious for generating internal heat from normal charge and discharge.

There are several documented cases of the Prius traction battery catching on fire. One was while the car was parked in the dealers lot waiting to be worked on. If that does not constitute a battery failure, what does? At least one poster I recall was battling with Honda over battery deterioration. They would not replace it even though it was at about 80% of original capacity. Are we going to need an independant company come in and arbitrate when a battery is not working at full capacity? As it deteriorates it will affect your mileage.

One question. Does the HSD system charge to 80% of original capacity or the capacity at any given point in time?
    The maximum SoC I've seen over 27K miles is about 80-90% and about 30% on the low side ( usually early in the morning or after a couple days of non-use).

With nearly 400,000 of these on the road just here in the US since 2001 if there were any significant numbers of battery failure everyone would know about it. The Press would be all over these reports like ...... you get the point.

As larsb noted previously the Honda failures on the Insight were due primarily to the fact that the vehicle was a manual transmission. Since going to an auto there are no additonal reports.
    How do you know? It takes cell capacity tests to prove that. The absence of widespread complaints prove nothing

1. There are no reports here, elsewhere or in the Press of any deterioration or loss of efficiency.

2. Go to GreenHybrid and look at the data generated by the GenI Prius', some of which are 4 and 5 yrs old. There is no deterioration in the fuel economy of these vehicles.

If the batteries were deteriorating significantly then the ICE's would be running more thus resulting in poorer fuel economy. It's not happening.
  • I don't own a hybrid but I've been following the information and debates. I'm curious if a battery would lose its efficacy during the later part of its life? That, of course, would affect mileage as well. It's something I've been wondering.
    That's the new skepticism being voiced here. At first it was the batteries will certainaly die shortly as do most every battery and they will cost thousands to replace - but they are not dying or having to be replaced after 4-5 years.

Now the question, which is certainly valid, is 'Will age ( over 5 yrs ) make the batteries perform with less efficiency thereby not assisting as much as when they were new. The result being less superior fuel economy.'

I think that the answer from we the driving public is 'We don't know yet.' According to Toyota's bench testing their indications are that there is no deterioration in performance ( fuel economy ) for well over 150,000 miles which is normally 8 - 12 yrs of driving for most.

Based on that I for one am confident enough to expect to drive my Prius upwards of 250,000 miles. While everyone has an opinion on the matter the results are being reported daily on GreenHybrid's mileage database.
    Based on that I for one am confident enough to expect to drive my Prius upwards of 250,000 miles.

Remember, age and operating environment are the most important factors in battery chemistry. Mileage doesn't have much to do with battery life. I guess old habits are hard to break. It seems we tend to think of batteries in terms of engines or tires, where mileage is the key factor.
    Age never is a consideration for me since I put about 40,000 miles annually on the vehicles I drive so as long as the batteries stay efficient for 6+ years or so I feel I got the use I expected.
    In your case, miles work, because you know how many mles a year you drive. However, others drive from 5000mi per year to 50,000mi per year, so battery life given in miles can be off by a factor of 10.

I'm be having a birthday soon. I'll be 800,000 miles old. :)
  • Actually the reason mileage comes into play is that it directly correlates with age. Notice I said correlates, not that iti s a direct function because whiel one individual might only drive 5,000 miles a year another might drive as much as 30,000 miles a year. So if you look at a car with 60,000 miles it might be as old as 12 years or as young as 2 years. But still if you have the option to buy a 2 year old car with 100,000 miles or a 3 year old car with 21,000 which car would you choose assume cost was relatively priced ?

I am willing to be most would take the 3 year old car.

Cheers,

MidCow
    Of course the battery is not the only deciding factor on a used hybrid.

Personally, all other things being equal, I would rather a 2 YO hybrid with 100K miles than a 3 YO hybrid with 21K miles. But other things are rarely equal on used cars with a 2 year age difference. Assuming a Toyota/Honda/Hyundai engine that commonly gets 250K trouble-free miles, 100K is not a lot for me, as I only drive 5K per year.

Don't forget, you can run up 100K miles in a lab in 6 months or less. In 6 months, the battery pack is almost like new, regardless of the mileage. It's very hard to accelerate time when testing batteries.

I was very skeptical of hybrid battery packs at first, but I'm only skeptical now. Perhaps NiMH chemistry has been greatly improved since my testing days.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    Ad placed to sell a Prius. Looks like there are batteries getting replaced.

Approx. 94,000 miles. One owner. Southern California car – no rust. Full maintenance records. All maintenance by Toyota. Original owner’s manual.-- Carpool lane access stickers included! Use California carpool lanes when driving alone! If you drive a lot in Southern California, this is an unbelievable bonus. High voltage batteries replaced at 88,000 miles. $4,000 value. Hybrid drive still under 100,000 mi warranty. Silver metallic exterior paint.
    I'm not at all surprised.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    It's got a whole 6000 miles before the warranty expires.

So much for the perfect battery systems on hybrids.

This message has been approved.