Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Great Hybrid Battery Debate

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    if the priius is not started for a while, say a month or more, there may be a problem getting it started.
    the reason i am asking is that there are at least 15 sitting the state motor pool staging lot next to where i work. they have been there for a few weeks.
    i'm sure it was part of using up the current budget (use it or lose it).
    i would hate to have it cost the state more money to get them 'revived'.
  • falcononefalconone Posts: 1,726
    My sister and brother-in-law didn't start their Prius for nearly a month last winter (long cruise and stayed in FL). They disabled the smart key and it started right up. Pretty nice. I am sure if it was for two months there may be an issue. A jump is no big deal. Since it requires so little amperage, it's much easier to start than a regular vehicle.
    2002 Prius is NOT the same as the 2004. If you do a google search you will find many, many 04+ Prius owners who have left their cars for many, many weeks without ANY issues. If you are concerned, get a solar trickle charger. Do a google and find some Prius forums and do a search. You'll be quite surprised! The Prius is truly an AWESOME automobile. Best thing... it gets MUCH better than 12 MPG ;)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,848
    Under the campaign, known at Toyota as the 40G program, owners of Prius models from 2001 through 2003 were warned that the high-voltage battery could leak electrolyte, the liquid that helps create electricity.

A leak in the high-voltage battery is potentially serious. Electrolyte's main component is potassium hydroxide, a potent base rated as a "high" health hazard by independent laboratories. One measure of the care Toyota tries to exercise over the Prius is the company's Emergency Response Guide, which has 23 pages of information distributed to emergency service personnel. Among other issues, a vehicle fire can emit toxic gases.

Prius fires
    Well over 500,000 on the road! I read about a few of the new beetles catching fire. I wonder if that made the 6:00 news. Amazing,,,, the Prius after being introduced in Oct 2003 STILL has waiting lists. What other car in recent history has had this much success. Way too many jealous folks out there!!!
  • I too have wondered about hidden cost w/the prius battery. I was not looking forward to the thought of forking out a few thousand $ for a new battery in 10 years. However, today I read that the president of toyota in japan announced the overall cost for the prius will significantly decrease in 2008 due to planned improvements-including, yes, a new cost efficient design for a battery.
    :confuse: I was wondering, will that new battery be adaptable for the older models? If so, that would be great! Does anyone know?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Backwards compatability would be nice! I think we're still in the leading edge of the hybrid technology. Still plenty of room for improvements and cost reductions.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• eaaeaa Posts: 30
    The best news is all Hybrids are going to start using Lithium batteries by 2010 or before. They are lighter, last longer and the costs should drop fater than the NiMH. Toyota among others agree they are the wave of the next gen hybrids.
    The Edrive calcars Prius + plugin hybrid uses a larger battery pack of Lithium batteries to get 100+ mpg.
    Jim
  • I believe the E-drive plugin concept car uses Valence Technology's U-Charge li-ion batteries. They've used this battery to help a couple of companies extend the range of operation for things such as electric taxis, buses, and military vehicles.
  • I have heard on radio talk and read in the paper when discussing hybrids that when the battery's go, it's expensive and "all" of the batteries must be replaced.

Is this true ? my opinion is not all batteries would fail at once. What are you experience with battery changes.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • calidavecalidave Posts: 156
    what does "expensive" mean?

if someone has an opinion on an issue and tells me "it is gonna be expensive," but they can't quote me an actual dollar amount, that is proof to me that they are simply biased and are blowing smoke. No credibility. (am not saying YOU have no cred, Bob. Just the guys who are spewing without giving facts)
  • Search the Prius 2004+ thread battery life and costs have been dicussed in great excruciating detail.

Edmunds has very good search engines
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,045
    I read there was a CBS news story last night about the Prius' not getting near the mileage advertised. Does anyone know where this might be linked online here? I looked at the CBS pages...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    The place to discuss hybrid mileage and expectations would be in the Hybrid Gas Mileage: Good? Bad? As Expected? discussion

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• In Newsweek magazine an article on tax tips about the credit for hybrids also mentioned the batteries cost $10,000 to replace. I went to my local Toyota dealer today to ask. They said the old battery did cost $10,000 to replace. However the new battery could be replaced 1 cell at a time costing $500 per cell. I did not ask how many cells were in the battery. I would also guess that within a matter of months all cells may need to be replaced once one failed. This is a concern for me as my current Previa is 12 1/2 years old and has 233,000 miles and runs like a top. I keep a car for a long time.
  • john1701ajohn1701a Posts: 1,897
    > They said the old battery did cost $10,000 to replace.

And the Original model Prius had a production cost of about $37,000. So what the heck does that have to do with the third generation now available?

A handful of Classic model Prius in North America have already exceeded 200,000 miles with same battery-pack they started with. So the worries steming from experiences with deep-discharge devices are proving to have absolutely no merit when it comes to a hybrid that prevents the deep-discharges.

In short, the need for replacement is unlikely.

Also note now the "full" hybrid systems routinely power their electric motors without even using the battery-pack. Electricity is generated for immediate use by the gas engine.

JOHN
  • Prius JOHN has spoken:

"In short, the need for replacement is unlikely. "

This discussion can now finally come to an end, there we be no foreseeable battery replacement required. So the effective cost is ZERO DOLLARS $0.00

A Shifting Man,

MidCow
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,848
    This discussion can now finally come to an end

I think it is just starting. People are getting high mileage on their hybrids and the complexity is rearing it's ugly head.

Brentbridge posted:

139,000 miles- IMA light comes on. Honda says the battery is dying and needs to be replaced.

brentbridge, "Honda Civic Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions" #452, 18 Jan 2006 9:02 am
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    the percentage of replaced batteries is hovering around .0000001% about now.
This discussion has been closed.