Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2005+

bmwcccbmwccc Posts: 234
I am wondering why there isn't much talk about the upcomiong changes to the A4 line happeneing in Feb or next year.

There are a lot of changes happening to the 2005 A6: Upgraded engines, Upgraded interior, New exterior design etc.

Anyone have any info. on possible engine upgrades for the 2005 A4. I imagine they need to change this and take advantage of the new A6 engines based on the threat of the BMW 3 series which is getting a totally new design change as well as a massive bump in horsepower for there base and upgraded engines for there 2005 new model.

There isn't much info on edmunds or autospies, just checking to see what other rumored info is out there.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    DSG is do far good only for transversely mounted engines with FWD and Haldex-based AWD (A3, Golf/Jetta, Passat, TT). A4 quattro (Torsen AWD) is longitudinally mounted. I don't know if FWD version of A4 is transverse or longitudinal, I suspect the former. So far Audi swears no immediate plans for A4 DSG.

If their A4 FWD is transverse, they probably could install DSG, but for some reason they don't want to (probably marketing reasons, FWD A4 is their low-end cars and tend to be "lighter" on gadget options). If it is longitudinal, they simply can't do it right now, even if they wanted to.

There was a similar problem with their CVT, which was good only for FWD. By the way, anybody knows what their plans for CVT are? I thought it was a great concept and had a good potential to replace traditional autos. They were saying they'd worked to mate it with AWD systems, but they have been quiet about it recently. Nissan is pushing CVT big time now, I would hate to see them abandoning the concept altogether.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• player4player4 Posts: 362
    For the year 2005 the Audi A4 is going to get a facelift. Now word on what will be new, here are a few pics.

• boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    That first picture there was like an autospies picture of the next A6.
  • vmmvmm Posts: 3
    Does anyone know whether or not Audi plans on doing a refresh on the S4 design as well? What about MMI? I don't want to purchase the S4 and have the model style change over right after I sign the paperwork...
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I'm hearing that the A4 will get it's facelift for spring 2005 as a 2006 model.

Naturally the new direct-injection V6 in the 2005 A4 will be present. Not a moment too soon I might add.

M
  • player4player4 Posts: 362
    imageimage

Audi is close to finishing its family-wide facelift. Our world-exclusive photographs prove that Ingolstadt’s new company face will be grafted on to the A4 with this autumn’s facelift.

Dominated by the vertical shield grille first seen on the A8 W12 and A6, the new nose is a radical move away from today’s rounded styling. Styling at the back is new, too, with A3 Sportback-inspired ‘stepped’ rear lights. Insiders claim that every body panel is new.

It’s not just new styling, either; Audi is preparing a series of major mechanical and interior changes to keep the A4 apace of the competition, which includes the recently revised Mercedes C-class and Alfa Romeo 156.

New engines are headed by a brace of new four-cylinder diesels, boasting a particulate filter and power outputs of 115, 140 and 175bhp. The petrol engines are all the same as in the A6, with several new V6s.

The cabin will be updated, too, with the arrival of Audi’s simplified multi-function controller, the MMI Multi-Media Interface.

The revised A4 will be shown this autumn, with UK sales due to start in early 2005. Saloon and Avant arrive together.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Posts: 1,491
    the new design actually have more emotion and character in it, i mean of ourse the current design is nice and pleasing, but it feels...cold somehow. I received the same pic from a friend, and i gotta admit it looks more appealing to me

btw will there be any upgrade to the engine? im expecting a higher hp of course, along with better low torque acceleration.
  • boomsamaboomsama Posts: 362
    looks like the front of the new A3 :/
  • bmwcccbmwccc Posts: 234
    My point exactly. With BMW 3 series coming out in June/July of 05', with a fresh new look and 2 new beefed up engines, Audi needs to spruce up there A4 at least with some more horsepower to compete.

I say bring on the new FSI V6 and V8.
    I also am liking the new style change. Add some upgraded engine options and they will be a fair bet against BMW 3 Series.
    Everyone know how the A6 is getting a growth spurt in the length and the width, any ideas if the same will happen to the A4?
    Merc, that engine is the same as the A6 is getting right, the FSI which puts out 255 hp?

If so, that should put the 0-60 around 6.2-6.4 sec i think.

What i would like is there to be another option for an engine upgrade inbetween the FSI V6 and the S4.

Any thoughts?
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yep that will be the same engine in the 2005 A6 3.2. Audi shares all their engines up an down the line like BMW and Mercedes. What I'm waiting for is the RS4, with 450hp!

The next A5 (2008) will no doubt be bigger, as this is the trend today.

M
  • keitaroukeitarou Posts: 43
    Does anyone have a picture of what the ultra sport package looks like?

Thanks.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,068
    Tenative? Yes, because the Audi "factory" rep answered my local Audi dealer's sales rep's question pertaining to the 2005.5 A4:

1. More HP & torque (2.0FSI 200HP 4 cylinder, turbo?) and 3.2FSI normally aspirated.
    2. Corporate grill (big mouth or trout mouth) "look"
    3. Interior changes including MMI and full screen DVD navigation and other electronic enchancements:
    e.g., bluetooth, voice command.

No info on "rumor" of transmissions: presumption however is manual and tip ("why not?" 6spd, but no actual confirmation from dealer rep) both CVT and DSG are "I assume" (again no confirmation).

No answer on "will there be an S4?" Presumption is "yes -- but possibly as a carry over from '05 until new model ('06 or '07) arrives.

Much of this presumes that the corporate look and some options and engines are the big 2005.5 news; more of a refresh than a redo. Redo however is "about" one year hence (begging the question as an 06 or 07 model designation).

Hopefully even without any documentation, these are substantiated rumors. The most telling about them is that they seem to track with non-Audi affiliated web sites.

I personally would give them about a 85% "smell of truth" rating.
    Mark, sounds like the 2005.5 A4 is getting a little more than an exterior change. Sounds like they will be getting the interior options like the 05' A6 is getting. Also sounds like there will be the 3.2l FSI engine available like the 05' A6.

If that is the case as you mentioned previously, what exactly is left for the 2006 A4 model compared to the 2005.5 A4 model?

I am going back and forth on a A4 3.2 vs A6 3.2 or A6 4.2. Don't know if i can swallow 8k more for the 4.2 vs the 3.2 for 80 horsepower and 1 sec difference for 0-60 times.

What do you think?
    Not for 1 second, not this time, for me too. Either the 3.2L A4 or A6 seems awfully tempting -- but so does the Acrua RL and perhaps even the Chrysler 300 SRT-8.

I am so Audi biased that it has been paining me [somewhat] to think about these other cars -- but I shall give them a fair shake. One thing, the Cadillac STS is OFF the list at $62+K for the V8+AWD.

The new A4, 06 or 07 will have frame and body panel changes -- my understanding is that the frame gets stiffer and the car, overall, goes up a notch or two here and there (obviously Audi is feeling the pinch of all the other Premium and Near Premium cars as they move into AWD -- once Audi's differentiator in the Premium market). When all the competition offers AWD, Audi then has to up the ante in ALL areas, electronics, engines, transmissions, etc.

The times they B gettin' interesting!
    Mark, think about this! You could buy a 2004 V8 A6 now for 48k ish and it has 300hp with 0-60 in 6.8 sec. Or you could buy the 2005 V6 A6 in Oct. for 45k ish with 255 hp with 0-60 in 6.8 sec.

Personally, there are so many positive upgrades for the exterior and interior of the 2005 A6 that there is no decision here. I just can't believe the new engine has that much more power to keep up with the older V8; and be 2-3k less even!

So i think I will go this fall for 2005 A6, now what are they going to charge for that V8??????????????
    Base price for the V8 A6 will be ~ $50K but it will "need" at least two or three of the four main option packages in most areas of the US. And, any car worth its salt in this price range that doesn't have Navi will be, shall we say, disadvantaged.

I use my Navi so much I can only assume that this "high zoot" option has or is becoming a necessity.

Of course, I also think it is WAY too pricey, but that is what demand does. Perhaps as Navi becomes more mainstream, the price will drop -- in fact I believe it already has started this downward trend.

I config'd a new car on the UK website and what really got to me was the price of the smart key -- it had better make coffee and pick up drycleaning for the price they want for it at least on THAT side of the pond. Check it out on the audi uk web site.

I'll stick with the new version both for milage and cost, your performance point is also well put.
    Mark or anyone else!

Anyone have an updated info on the 2005.5 / 2006 A4 coming out next year. We are getting a lot more info now on the A6 with its arrival in Nov. I am very curious when we should start to get some definitive info on the 2005.5 change and if there will be a 2006 change for the A4. If so, when and what will each of those changes be?

Mark, next time you hit the dealer, would you mind inquiring for me.

Thanks