Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    I am stuck in my Jeep GC lease for 2 more years so most of this is moot right now, but. I test drove a Passat 1.8T about two years ago was not impressed with the power, especially from a stop. I get the impression that the new 2.0 T Audi is very fast, I have read all the reviews on Edmunds,AOL,Yahoo, Msn and most give glowing reports. My son just got a 3.5 SE Altima and that has power 249 foot pounds of torque with a 5MT. Pushing it I get torque steer through 4th gear, quite a thrill. I suspect that the A4 is much more refined with much better handling than the Altima, and of course with a much higher price. I will be 59 by the time I get out of this lease, 12 years of driving 4 new GC's is enough,
    I realized that after driving the Altima that I would like to drive something more exciting. The Subaru Legacy GT looks to have the same power as the Altima
    and I presume handles better. I have also read all the threads on these cars,
    BMW 325, Audi A4,Legacy GT,TSX, Passat, S40. Most like their cars and say they are the best, except for the people with problems. I guess my questions are what makes an Audi special, how would I like off the line power compared to the V6 Altima. No sense taking a test drive yet, too long to go on the lease and no easy way out. Oh by the way just sat in a 525 BMW and for some reason was not impressed with the interior, am I crazy or what, I do like my friends Passat interior. If you go over to the TSX board it is the best car in the world. Thanks Old Mike
  • wlnwln Posts: 1
    I have a new 2006, 4 door Audi A4-t. When you push the lock botton in the driver's door. Three doors will lock but the driver's door will NOT lock. Audi has told me this is a safety feature so you will not lock yourself out. I have never had a car that did this. All my other cars would lock all 4 doors when the automatic lock feature was pushed in the driver's door.

Does anyone know if this is the way these doors really work or is Audi handing me a line?

WLN
  • You are not being handed a line -- this is the way the locks are designed to work.

I think you can do the following:

Close all the doors.

Walk to the passenger door of your choice and open it.

Reach over and lock the driver's door, all the doors will lock.

Close the door you opened.

Unless the system has been made even more intelligent, this would do the trick.

What is wrong with using the fob to lock the doors remotely rather than pushing the door lock button itself?
  • edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    Old One, I have test driven all those cars except the Biiiieeemer. (I won't because I hate the nickname). The Altima 3.5 has nice acceleration and for us tall guys, it does have way more headroom! But is not on the par with the other cars in regard to: interior, handling, braking and road feel. I think it is a great looking car and a good value but it really does not strike me as a sport sedan. (The Passat is now a little dowdy too).

If you are comfortable with the ergonomics of Japanese cars, I think the Legacy and the TSX are wonderful cars to drive - and have great reliablity. The Euros have a bit more panache, even more road feel, and fit and finish are more elegant but the Euros are not so great to own as out of warranty repairs are pricey. Good luck ... in two years.

Sort of old Ed
  • How do we find out what phones are compatable with the Bluetooth option? I use Verizon Wireless and before I shell out the extra $500 for the Tech Package with Bluetooth, I want to be sure that Verizon has a phone that works with it.
    Anybody know?

Regards,
    ***Mooselook***
  • Audi knows. And if you call them 1-800-FOR-AUDI, they will tell you.

For unknown reasons, however, I will tell you that THE PHONE that has THE FEWEST issues and the greatest performance (in these applications) and, frankly, the lowest price is the Sony Ericsson T637. It is available in "unlocked" form on the Internet and all you need to do then is go to your provider du jour (no contracts please) and purchase a plan and a SIM chip, then you are good to go.

Moreover, Audi and BMW offer in-car build-in kits that will allow you to:

1. Use the optimized charging and battery conservation feature

2. Use the car's rooftop antenna (fewer dropouts)

3. Use the phone in so-called handsfree and eyesfree mode (and some even offer full voice response mode)

I had almost purchased an Infiniti M35X and when I went to the Infiniti dealer, they gave me "the bluetooth list" (also on the websites); then the salesman said "word of advice, fewest problems, greatest functionality etc, with the Sony T637."

I got mine off of the Internet and called Audi for the in-armrest mounting kit and went to AT&T/Cingular/Cincinnati Bell for my SIM chip, then I ordered a German SIM Chip and an Italian Chip (I am now, as they say, "nationwide and global." )

I think the phone was $129 (unlocked -- which basically means "you can use it in some 65 countries on the planet Earth), no contract required for service and -- here in Cincinnati -- bought a plan that combines my home phone, high speed Internet Access, BlackBerry utilization with unlimited e-mail and two T637 phone chips (one for my wife's T637 and one for mine) with free intra-carrier calling, unlimited free domestic long-distance, $.05/min international calling rates and a 30 day automatically renewing "contract."

The Audi phone book integration (probably with and without the Navigation screen, even) is easy (I have the multi-function steering wheel) with the T6XX phones is seamless and with the ability to use the roof antenna rather than the in-device antenna, the dropouts "dropped" by about 2/3rds over my buddies who use solely the in phone antenna.

I don't know if Verizon offers this device (T6XX phone) or not. "If" they use SIM chips in their phones, you will, however, be able to use the unlocked Sony-Ericsson phone (assuming they use GSM standards.) If they don't, and you ever travel over the oceans, well, I'd dump Verizon like a hot rock, for, at this point in time, GSM is "the standard."

If you love CDMA, TDMA or whatever for whatever reason, that is certainly OK with me -- GSM at this juncture just happens to be in very wide use in both NA and all over the eastern hemisphere.

Hope this helps. :shades:
  • mf15mf15 Posts: 158
    Thanks for the comments sort of old Ed.
    I guess I have been driving I6 jeeps too long, what has now peaked my interest in cars again is driving my sons new Altima, I find the 250 ft pounds of torque from the Nissan V6 rather exciting at my advanced age. One worry about Audi is of course reliability, wife has had 3 new accords since 1995 none of them were ever in the shop for anything except routine maintenance. But she even got tired of driving them, she now has an AWD Escape which we own, so I dont need two 4/AWD drive vehicles in the family. Which leaves me when it is time to get a nice car. I do not see much mention of the FWD A4 all the talk is about the AWD, which I really dont need anymore besides the FWD is less expensive. But then again the AWD will provide better handling even on dry roads, but do I really need to drive that hard, who knows. I guess I will be having fun reading these boards for the next two years and then decide on what is the latest and greatest at that time.
    I will have to test drive an A4 2.0T and see for myself about the low end torque or lack of it from my perspective. Actually believe it or not I don't need a sun roof and really don't like leather that much, but I am attracted to very nice interiors, just minus the leather. Thanks Old Mike
  • Mooselook,

I have a Treo 650 with Verizon. It pairs with my A4's bluetooth, but it isnt "fully functional." ie you can dial out by numbers but not by saying the persons name from your phone book. Incoming calls will display the number on the window between the tach and the speedo, but not the persons name. Honestly, if you talk while driving and hate those goofy headsets, the option is worth it.
  • Thanks, Mark.
    Very helpful and very comprehensive. I checked out the T637 but unfortunately, I don't think Verizon supports GSM standards, and I have too many phones on the plan to easily switch. I guess I'll talk to the folks at Audi and see what they say.
    Regards,

***Mooselook***
  • Word on the net is that Verizon BT phones have been deliberately crippled -- don't know if this is totally accurate and even if so, don't know why.

Audi has another new accessory -- works on Motorola phones (but they too appear to be those with SIM chips and GSM.)

Check it out -- maybe there is a way to get the Verizon system to be more open with Audis BT implementation.
  • mcmuneymcmuney Posts: 64
    Anyone purchased the normal phone cradle that works with the built-in phone system (without Bluetooth)? How's that working out?
  • dlaz3dlaz3 Posts: 1
    I've been checking out wagons to replace an aging Subaru Outback and really like the A4 Avant for the ride and style, and fact that it is smaller for both city driving/parking and mileage. Question is whether it's too small to be the sole family car? I have 2 very young children and my wife and I are on the smaller side. We've tried most of our kid gear and it seems to fit, but I'm wondering whether, based on practical experience, people feel that this car is big enough for day-to-day life with car seats, stollers, kelty backpacks, and related kids gear. The interior seems about the same as the Subaru, but the rear storage is definitely smaller. Any thoughts and comfort level on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • What's the policy regarding free loaners? Having just closed a deal on a 2006 A4, I called the Service Department about this and was advised that free loaners are provided only for scheduled maintenance but not for repairs under warrantee. This was not the case back when I had my '99 A4. Does anyone have info on this?

Regards,
    ***Mooselook***
  • joemalejoemale Posts: 28
    I've test driven the DSG version of the A3 and found it great.
    Is this offered in the A4? Will it be?
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    I test drove the new 3.6 VR6 Passat two days ago. There is no question after driving both the Passat and the Audi A4 recently that the Passat is no longer the "just a little bit less rich" man's A4. This is not necessarily a compliment. There is a significant difference between the two at this point, some good, some bad...

As a family man that needs to fit a car seat in the back, the increased room is a welcome addition in the Passat compared to my current 2000 A4 1.8T. The interior with the burled wood upgrade is a "night and day" change vs the monotonous fake metal on the Passat 2.0 version. The seats are similar to the Audi's- i.e. comfortable but not very "sporty" or bolstered". The trunk on the Passat is excellent.

Although the VR6 was very powerful, I came away very unimpressed. The FWD version is the only one currently available, and the VR6 completely overwhelmed this car. The engine toe-in was very abrupt and led to quite a herky-jerky ride. I "spun" the front tires much more than I every would want to at 38 years of age. The VR6 did have a very nice "growl" when pushed hard.

Overall, I would opt for the 2.0 T in the Passat if it could be similarly equipped as the 3.6. But here's my biggest gripe- It can't! I can't even order what I would consider "given" in a car- a fully powered driver's seat or auto-dimming rear view mirror- without ordering the VR6. I agree that the Passat currently has two personalities. At it's most loaded, it's a "poor man's" A6 (although this is a significant drop-off we're talking about). In the 2.0 T, it's a very good alternative to the Camry or Accord. In no way is the Passat and A4 comparable at this time.

I'll test drive the Passat with the 4 Motion when it comes out to see if the extra bulk and the 4 wheels smooths-out the big engine, but I'm back to looking at the A4. I wanted to a little closer to the dealer (Audi- 35 minutes, VW 5 minutes) as my Audi needs a little work from time-to-time but the extra drive for a guaranteed loaner may be worth it.

Finally, the new haldex system is a full-time FWD system that only switches to the rear wheel if there is slip. I'm no sure how this will effect performance. My take is that the Passat is trying to mature into a legitimate family vehicle, but it is taking away from the old "Farfegnuten" image. Good luck VW in trying to compete with Toyota and Honda!!
  • schweikbschweikb Posts: 111
    I went round and round on this and wound up with an A4 that I've leased for 24 months (2.0T Quattro w/performance pkg, sunroof pkg, metallic Quartz Gray paint and the dark mahagony interior wood trim). The interior wood package only added $8/month to the bill and for me puts the A4 into a whole new class of vehicle - I look at the interior pieces it covers every time I drive the car and it really looks LUXURIOUS - also, it is real wood. Besides that, I noticed a difference in the ride (handling too, but that did not as much of a concern me) resulting from the different front suspensions. For my money the Passat's strut-type setup lets a lot more of the shocks, etc. into the car - its drivetrain, my body and the car's structure. The Audi's 4-link lower/upper arm setup with separate shocks makes for a wonderful ride, isolation from abrupt movements and noises and a great feeling of what's going on. Very importantly for me the A4 seems much more structurally rigid than the Passat. The feel and sound of slamming the driver's door on the A4 is so satisfying - the proverbial "bank vault." The Passat door seems to just "be there" and sounds clumsy and thin when you close (slam) it. There are many other things I prefer about the Audi: the Passat's tail sits way high up - probably because the rear springs are set up for 3-abreast in the back seat and a bigger trunk load; the Audi A4's dash is pure Teutonic and very straightforward (better than the A6 or the BMW 3's or 5's too); the leather seating material itself is much more up-scale on the A4. There is much more I could go on about too. The Passat's big plus is interior room, but it is just me, and despite being 6'3" and 205 lbs. I fit very comfortably in the A4 - so that's all she wrote.
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    I wanted to look at the passat before buying an A4 but its not a fair fight when the passat doesn't have 4 motion available yet. I live in Chicago. I refuse to drive anything without all wheel drive.
  • craigp1craigp1 Posts: 17
    I just picked up my 2006 A4 2.0T Quattro, Ocean Blue/Black, 6 sp, Prem Pack, sport susp, Sunroof Pack. I ordered this car back in June! Due to the sport suspension being sold order only, it took forever. But I have say, it was worth the wait! I had a 2003 A4 1.8T, Denim Blue. At first I liked the 2003 Body style more (I thought the rear was nicer, but I did like the new front), and was a bit sad to see it go. After seeing my new car, I have completely changed my mind. This car is beautiful. And the more I see the 2006's, the more I prefer the new rear end.

After 80 miles, this car drives great. It sticks to the road like glue, and the new engine blows the 1.8 T away. Smooth, responsive, no turbo lag. Could use a better tune as the sound is kind of hollow, but with the great sound system, who cares. The new electronic steering is fantastic. I didn't really like it during the test drive, but longer driving time has showed me the way!

And the 5 double-spoke wheels are sweet. With tinted windows and some nice pinstriping, this car is a head turner. Love the look of the lower suspension with the sport package.

When I ordered this car, I was so unsure because I loved my 2003. But you can't keep these cars once the warrenty is up (unless you get a good extended warrenty), so I went for the new one. No comparison, this car looks, drives, and handles way better. Whoever still has doubts, leave them behind. Get a 2006!

Now lets hope my 2006 is as trouble free as my 2003 was.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    You've got to ante up and get the $3,000 S line package to a get a sport suspension without it being a sold order car.

It's pricey, but the S Line package looks incredible.
  • ...and what a difference. While I'm still not wild about the new look, the car is improved in all critical areas... steering, braking, suspension, blah blah blah. I skipped the costly S-Line package for a factory sports suspension. And after about 1600 miles I have yet to encounter even one issue with the car.

The two liter engine is a nice compromise between performance and economy. I'm just surprised that there aren't more people cross shopping the new A4 with the competition.

Byron
  • craigp1craigp1 Posts: 17
    I hated the wheels on the S-Line, liked the double spoke much better. Plus it came with Summer Tires, useless in the Northeast, so it was a deal killer for me. So $3000 (plus new tires) for a couple of minor spoilers just wasn't worth it. And my dealer is not ordering any S-Lines anyway since they do not think it is worth $3000 either.
  • I got my S-line two months back and its totally worth it. The 18" wheels, 18" tires, and suspension are already about 3 grand from the dealer if you bought these individually, so the S4 body parts (front bumper, side door sills, s4 trunk) are a nice bonus. If you aren't going to mod the car, then the S line package is the way to go.

Or you can debadge the S-line, flash the ECU (APR, Revo, GIAC), and have 250hp/300lb-tq and have people wondering if its an S4. Little do they know, its a 4-banger :shades:
  • Let me see, $3000 for lousy looking 18 wheels, tires that only grip in the hot dry weather, and sport suspension that can be ordered seperately for $250. I think not. As for the spoilers, the only one that looks good is the S4 trunk. But the trunk is not worth $3000. But to each his own, and enjoy your A4 S-Line.

I'll take the 5 double spoke wheels (nicest wheels Audi makes IMHO) with all season tires, and with the $250 sport suspension, there is no gap between the tire and fender. Who needs 18's.

I now have 200 miles on my A4, and lovin every minute of it. Recently saw a couple of the new 3 series on the road, thank god I chose the A4 as I think it is much nicer looking. Go Audi!
  • zcar3zcar3 Posts: 22
    craigp - i see you drove your old a4 in new england. were you able to get away w/ all-season tires? my 2000 1.8t had the performance package, so it came with summer tire which were almost useless - even with quattro - in the snow. i picked up a used set of s4 rims when the original tires needed replacement and ran summer tires on the s4 rims, with winter sports on the stock rims. it worked out great year round, although at 6 years, i'm looking for a new car in the immediate future...
  • Well, IMHO, anything less than 18's is small for such a large wheel well. Not only does it handles better with the larger wheels (18-inch 5-arm quattro® GmbH wheels with 235/40 high performance tires compared to 17-inch 5 double-spoke cast alloy wheels with 235/45 all-season tires) but it sits much nicer with the larger wheels and lowered stance. Sure the ride is slightly rougher and more responsive, but thats a matter of preference. I think that calling the RS6-style wheels "lousy" is a bit much. They are the same wheels in design (created by quattro GmbH) as the ones on the fastest production Audi before the B7 RS4 and I like em :D

But this is coming from someone in sunny California, where the only snow I will see is when I go to Big Bear or Tahoe, and even then I wouldn't rely on all-seasons; I would definatly get some chains and 16" steel wheels. I used to live in Baltimore, where it snows a good amount, and I think that 18's are great for the summer/spring/fall months, but come winter, I would always invest in a cheap set of 16"s with snow tires.

Did you check out the Vortex front spoilers from the dealer? If you didnt get the s-line package, you should check out the Vortex body pieces.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    You're in the small minority of people who think the S Line wheels are lousy. I think they look gorgeous.

Go and price any type of aftermarket rims and tires, and it'll cost you about $1000 to go from 17's to 18's. Michelin Pilot Sports are $250 each for 18 inch tires.
  • My old 2003 A4 1.8T was a front wheel drive with all seasons, and it handled great in the snow. Keep in mind it was a stick, which is better in the snow than an automatic.

If your looking for a new car, the 2006 A4 2.0T is a great car, far supperior to previous Audi's, even my 2003. My 2006 Audi has quattro with all seasons, so I suspect it will be even better in the snow than my 2003, so snow tires will not be needed. Keep in mind I do not live in the mountains.
  • 18's are nice, just not the current S-Line wheels. Basic 5 spoke design. Although the rim is 1 inch larger than the 17's, keep in mind the tires are a lower profile, thus making the overall diameter of rim plus tire just 1/2 inch larger for the 18's.

For me, the design of the double-spoke wheel more than makes up for the slightly less overall diameter. Plus I'm not a big fan of the ever decreasing tire profile. Whatever happened to nice looking tires? But that's a whole other topic.
  • A local Speed Shop has offered to design, build, and install a new Exhaust System for my 5 week old A3 .....FREE OF CHARGE!! He could then use the prototype to build similar systems to market to other A3 owners. My Concern is what effect this new exhaust system will have on my warrenty. Any of you A4 guys have experience with this type of thing. Thanks Bill H.
  • zcar3zcar3 Posts: 22
    The 2006 looks nice, but I just checked the options selection, and Audi seems to have lost me... you can't get the technology pack (I need/want bluetooth) without the premium package, there are no sport seat options anymore, the S-line package requires the premium package, the interior/exterior color combos are very limited, etc.

Maybe I'm just being overly picky, but it seems like they stack their packages far too much, so if you want a few options in certain packages, you end up with a car in the upper 30's. Doh! I was hoping the A4 would be my "low-cost" alternative to a 330...
This discussion has been closed.