Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• crushercrusher Posts: 16
    Bi-Xenon means both Hi and Low beams are Xenon Headlamps.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    I was watching TV last night and saw the crash test ratings for several cars, including the A4

The A4 was a "best pick" and was awarded the highest rating for both front end and side impact. The A4 is one of only two cars that recieved the highest award for both categories.
  • nwalbertnwalbert Posts: 49
    I saw the same thing. Wish they had reviewed at least one of Audi's competitors. Its good to know that the car is safe, but who is really comparing a Checy Malibu ($20k) to an A4($45k) ?? Prices are in Canadian dollars, and I am talking about a Quattro A4, not a CVT, or whatever the Front wheel drive model is called.

Scott
    You can pay 32 grand for a 2.0 CVT, and over 40K for the 3.2 A4... US dollars of course. But the airbags and structure integrity are the same. A nicley equipped 2.0 Quattro 6 speed can be had for around 35 grand, sans naviagtion.

The S60 Volvo they tested is in the same ball-park price wise as the A4. Ditto for the Sabb 9-3, which was the only other car that got a "double best pick".
  • javan69javan69 Posts: 17
    "You can pay 32 grand for a 2.0 CVT"
    ---------------
    I paid $34,709 for a 2.0 CVT with premium, nav, audio, heating, lighting.
  • nwalbertnwalbert Posts: 49
    My point is: Where are Audi's direct competitors, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, and MB?

Does anyone considering an A4 really care how the Chevy Malibu performed? No, but a lot of people would like to know how the 325, or IS300, or the G35 stacked up.

I dont think Audi sells very many non-Quattro A4's, the reasonable price to pay for a new A4 is $45,000 Canadian.
  • chef_jmrchef_jmr Posts: 41
    The tests by the IIHS are not reviews of cars in specific classes. They test the cars as they come to their facilities. They will be testing the other manufacturer's models in the future. This was not a "head-to-head" comparison as you seem to interpret it.
  • lyshenlyshen Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I've been reading lot of posts and had my own question since wife and I are planning to purchase soon.

I'm considering a 2005.5 A4 2.0T Quattro with manual transmission. Given the options I want, dealer quoted me $500 above invoice. But to have it trucked from another dealer will cost an extra $850. I asked him to drop that and he lowered the shipping fee down to $500. Now given this, I figure he could still lower it down to $400, so roughly half of it would be covered by the dealer.

My options are to either buy it at $500/$400 for delivery or go up to where the dealer has it and purchase it in person. My guess is that the dealers near where the car is actually located should be willing to match the $500 over invoice for the car. (Dealer just loses some profit by paying for more of the delivery fee.)

After talking it over this over with my wife, she said try and get the dealer to go with $400 for delivery and we can take it, since we could easily buy two one-way plane tickets and pick it up in person, visit a friend or two and drive it back and still be under the delivery fee. (Have a place to stay up there)

Any thoughts? (FYI we're not financing)
  • jk6741jk6741 Posts: 1
    Hey all,
    I just bought a new 2005 A4 2.0T, 6-speed and am looking to make some performance improvements. I have had some difficulty finding parts compatible with the new 2005. I also have been struggling with the decision to install a chip or not. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • mhgmhg Posts: 7
    Does anyone know if the new A4 has an audio input jack so that one can plug in their ipod or other MP3 player?
    I really don't why people are splitting hairs and driving themselves crazy over $300-400 on high-line car purchases.

$500 over invoice on an Audi is pretty fair. If the dealer is willing to split the cost of shipping with you, then go ahead and buy the car from your local dealer.

By the time you pay for plane tickets and gas, you're not saving much. Maybe a few hunderd dollars. Meanwhile, you'll probobly visit your "freinds" on the way back and spend a few bucks on dinner and odds and ends.

If it was a $1500 difference, then it may make sense to do it what your talking about. I think you should have a small amount of coutesy and repsect for your local dealer who has time invested invested in you. If they're the ones that took you out on test drives, spent their time helping you out, and were professional with you, you should go with them.

I wouldn't throw my local dealer under the bus for $200 on a $35,000 car purchase.
  • lyshenlyshen Posts: 2
    You do have a point there about the money being not much of a difference. I wasn't splitting hairs and driving myself crazy over this. (Thought about it for 5 min and compared options.) Just was thinking this is a good reason to go visit my friend since I was thinking about it already. I seriously would not have minded going up north to the Bay area to pick the car up since I'd be getting a free trip in at the least (small trip but I have the time for it). I haven't seen my friend in 2 years since he's been in Taiwan.

But also the dealer did not take me out on test drives, he's about an hour away so I've only been dealing with him over the phone. Actual test drive I went to the local dealer but the sales guy wasn't all that helpful and not willing to negotiate to much.

Regardless, I ended up purchasing it from the current dealer I was working with over the phone because he did end up lowering the price a little more. Personally I did prefer to buy from the phone dealer because he was trying to be really helpful. $100-200 isn't a big deal as you say, I agree but its still money and if you one can get a free trip in to visit friends as well, why not? Looking forward to the car now. :)

This kind of reminds me of the test pilot program that never seemed to pan out. Order a Audi and fly to Europe and pick it up in person, I believe they said you technically get a free plane ticket. If you're going to pay the same in the end, why not get something you feel happier with? (Assuming of course you aren't going crazy over it. ;) )
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,049
    I have two thoughts: First, do you think the 2.0T with a 6speed needs a boost?

Too much is never enough, I know.

Second, if you must chip, you should be aware that the only way to go is with a DPP (direct port programming) option. Several vendors offer such performance options that retain the original programming and do not require any hardware swaps.

The party line of the chip guys is that ONLY if something that can be tied to a chip change goes wrong will the warranty be voided. This should be correct -- and no I am not a lawyer. However, you may want to find a chip friendly dealer so that the dealer will be on your side no matter what way you go. Even then if the turbo impeller whizzes off into the wild blue yonder and someone at Audi Headquarters can demonstrate that the only two times this ever happened was on engines with the engine mapping program changed, well, gulp -- good luck.

I chipped a 2000 TT 1.8T engine -- actually at that time no DPP option was offered and the DEALER did the chipping for me. There was a chip programming issue that was corrected, but remember, I had a friendly dealer at my side and no Audi involvement was required. Nothing ever broke as a consequence either.

APR is one source a DPP, Revo is too, I think. I am not certain if ABT offers DPP but their US partner is Joe Hoppen Motorsports. All three of these guys are on the web and all have good reputations.

My advice is to keep the dealer on your side -- if you hide this and are caught, you will probably run the risk of having at least some of your warranty and Audi advantage eroded.

There are at least two dealers here in Ohio that I am told are chip friendly -- don't know where you are but this stuff is not a STATE SECRET. Do a little bit of homework.
  • hbx55hbx55 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I'm looking at an A4, quattro, manual with cold, premium, and some other stuff.

MSRP is $34,270,
    Edmunds.com invoice is $31,800

My local dealer is offering it for $32,600. Is that a reasonable deal - from shopping around a bit, I thought it was a pretty good one but wanted to get some feedback. This will be my first new car and my first Audi.

Also, this is a 2005.5 - what's the difference between these and the 2006's?
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    jk6741,

Personally I'd keep the car stock until after the first 1000 - 1500 miles. This will give you a chance break the critter in and shake out any gremlins. If, after the initiial break in, things are running smooth, then go for it. I had a '99 1.8t chipped and didn't pop any pistons. My current '02 isn't :cry:

Byron
  • ncflyerncflyer Posts: 28
    Anyone know how well this car is selling? I'm curious how much leverage I will have when I negotiate or if there might be any new incentives on the way. . . am surprised that my local dealer (in Cleveland) has quite a bit of A4 inventory on their lot (as opposed to BMW, which is baren of 3's), that they are already offering 1.9% financing, and that their doesn't seem to be a whole lot of buzz out there, even though the A4 is one awesome looking car. So BMW has a brand new vehicle, Lexus is about to introduce one, as is VW, and GM is literally giving away Saab's. It's crowded.
    2005 was a weird model year for Audi with the A4. You have (2) cars with different styling that both say 2005 on the window sticker. And with 4 different engine choices with the 1.8. 2.0, 3.0, & 3.2......I think it all leads to a bit of confusion.

If Audi has too many of the 2005.5 models, they'll no doubt put some lease special or money behind the cars to clear them off for the 06's.
  • whitty_1whitty_1 Posts: 1
    I have the chance to buy a 05 Audi 1.8T for $ 41,000 Canadian and the dealer offerd to chip it for me. My question is, Is the 1.8T chipped enough for a high end car like this or should I wait and buy a 06 that’s $ 7000 more is the new motor worth it
    I'm surprised an Audi dealer offered to chip a brand new car for you. Won't that void your factory warranty?
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    Technically (or legally) you are correct but apparently some dealers will "work with you" to resolve issues that presumably could be chip related. But the dealers can determine if the engine has been abused and one should expect to pay to play. That's why I would stay stock until after the break in period... and any bugs have hopefully been shaken out.