Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi A4 2005+

Comments

• max19max19 Posts: 22
    I don't know where to start. I bought my A4 1.8T back in October 2004 So that makes it an 2005 with the sport package. Three weeks after the purchase the serpentine belt broke :sick: (air conditioner out, power steering out, ETC.) 2 weeks out in the repair shop. 3 months after that, the left tail light went off :sick: (the car even let you know about it...) , and as recently as last week, the airbag sign came on. An extra 3 days in the repair shop. :lemon:

I am sorry for Audi lovers and the prestige that comes with the car but the real point is that the car has more rattles inside that I have ever imagined. I was crazy about buying this car, but it is really a total fiasco.

A friend of mine who bought a 330i says that bmw stands for brake my wallet. I cannot understand if they take so much prestige in the car, how could it reaaly be a wreck?

I had a 2002 Nissan Maxima that I bought in Ocotber of 2001 and beleive me, the car gave me absolutely no problems. My next purchase is going to be a Holden Monaro, I mean a Pontiac GTO. Same price and about 280 HP more. As I call it, the poor man's M6.

Previuosly, I had a Volkswagen Jetta 2000 1.8t and it was fully of noises by the time I turned it in as a trade in for the Maxima. :)

Goodbye europeans, hello Australia/America.
  • craigp1craigp1 Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 A4 2.0T quattro on order (premium, sport suspension, sunroof packages - S-Line at 3K seemed rediculous), but recently drove the 2005 G35 coupe. What a beautiful machine. Anyone else ever compare these two cars? I know their different, but they are basically the same price. While the G35 coupe has the style and horsepower, the A4 is more practical with respect to winter driving. The rear seat in the G35 is surprisingly roomy considering the style of the car.

My heart likes the G35, but my brain says stick with the Audi.
  • tremainetremaine Posts: 7
    I looked at the G35 and did not care for the interior much. However, the big kickers were the gas mileage and the service. Service included with the A4 was huge and living in the SF bay area so was the big difference in the MPG. I also preferred the Quattro and the nice safety rating the A4 got. I still really like the G35 and I think it has many excellent features, but practicality pushed me to Audi.
  • socala4socala4 Posts: 2,427
    I purchased an A4 2.0T "Frontrak" (not Quattro) after comparing it to the G35 sedan, BMW 325i sedan (outgoing 2005 model), Acura TSX, Acura TL, and Volvo S40 T5. (I did not consider coupes because I require a useable back seat for business.)

I may provide a more detailed comparison/ review later, but my basic thoughts on the G35 sedan (again, not the coupe):

-Pros: Nice powerful motor (one of the nicest V6's available), exterior styling (personal taste, I know, but I happen to like it), reliable drivetrain. (I did not compare, but I would bet that the Infiniti automatic transmission is superior to the Audi CVT.) Also, for those of us in warmer climes, rear-wheel drive offers a performance advantage that even the best FWD can't match.

-Cons: Brake rotors have been a significant problem area, at least on the 2003-4 model years (not sure if this has been completely resolved, I believe that the 05's might have improved somewhat), interiors are not durable or attractive for a car in this price range, depreciation is notably bad (at least in my market). Also: poor fuel economy (although perhaps not unreasonable, considering the power output), finding one with a manual transmission is nearly impossible (I wanted an MT, so this was an issue), lack of maintenance package that is available with European makes. Also, with comparable equipment, the G35 would have cost slightly more (although it does have a larger motor, so an even comparison isn't quite fair.)

Also, the G35 will be replaced in 2007, so you may be in for a further hit to values. In contrast, I would guess that the Audi makeover in 2008 will be less drastic (in German fashion) and therefore less disadvantageous to residuals.

I hesitate to report on a car that I have owned for only five weeks and 1,700 miles, but so far, the A4 experience has been excellent. After a proper break-in, the motor is tractable, the manual transmission is almost Honda-smooth (the benchmark for manual transmissions, IMO), and the build quality all around seems to be solid, with the interior being a high point. Ergonomics are very good (better than the comparable BMW), and the performance is quite good, with no discernable turbo lag if you work the gearbox properly. (Judging from the comments on an Audi owner's forum, the MT is notably superior to the CVT for performance and drivability.)

Passengers uniformly love the car (comfortable leather seats, both front and back, and the design is quite easy on the eyes), the seats are excellent and easily adjustable. I also manage to beat the EPA mileage ratings: at a 72 mph highway cruise, I can get 35 mpg. And I'll be damned if the thing doesn't look great! (The sports package helps, thanks to 45-series tires, nice five-spoke wheels and the car being lowered by 8/10ths of an inch, a subtle improvement.)

But being a German car, I will be watchful of reliability, despite Consumer Report's positive comments. Also, I don't believe that the standard included free maintenance schedule is sufficient (oil changes every 10k miles after the initial 5k change?), so I will be paying for extra work, despite the service agreement.

The latest issue of Road & Track reviews the A4 2.0T quattro 6MT, and compares it to the Volvo S40 T5 AWD. Except for the motor, the Audi won in all categories, although the Volvo performed well and was considered to be a bit better bang for the buck. The article is worth a read if you are in the market.

Hope that helps.
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    I test drove an A3. Asked about the free service. As far as I can tell, we're only talking about 4 oil changes (interval is 10k miles) and there's no loaner cars for oil changes. There is no tune up or brake service within the 4/50k interval.

So really, I really question the value of the free scheduled maintenance on Audis and BMWs. The big-ticket scheduled maintenace is going to come after, for things like tuneups and brake service, and other things like replacing gaskets, various pumps, belts, etc.

I'm really drawn to the German cars but wonder about purchasing and keeping them after the warranty period because of repair costs. I can find shops which specialize on Japanese makes like Lexus and Acura, which can do all the work the dealers can but at much lower prices. Not sure there are similar shops for the German makes. They may be cheaper than dealers but still much higher.
    To be fair, the maintenance package includes more than just oil changes: along with the obligatory inspections, lubrication and adjustments, it does include fluid changes to the CVT, brake fluid replacement, A/C filter replacement, and a spark plug replacement at 35,000 miles** (**I think -- the warranty booklet is unclear whether this applies to the new 2.0L and 3.2L engines.)

The warranty component will provide one clutch replacement if needed prior to 2 yrs/ 25k miles, and one set of brake pads if needed. It will also include one set of wiper blades if needed prior to 1yr/ 12k miles. It does not cover tires

So the service package includes the usual stuff. Newer cars have much longer maintenance intervals than cars from even 5-10 years ago, so none of this is much of a surprise.

I happen to take issue with the oil change intervals, because of the importance of clean oil to an engine's longevity, particularly with turbochargers in the case of the 2.0 liter. Because it requires a bit of 6 quarts of synthetic and has a cartridge filter, these oil changes will need to be performed by a dealer, specialty shop or a home mechanic with a specialty filter tool, which promises to make them a bit more than a $25 job.

Also, the cooling system is sealed, and Audi claims that the coolant should never be changed. I'm wary of this, but I don't know whether opening the system for a cleaning would do more harm than good, and I imagine that attempting to do so during the first four years would cause potential issues with the warranty.
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    Well if there is all that done, the guy didn't sell it well. He mentioned oil changes and checks and tire rotation done at the same time.

If they're changing spark plugs, why wouldn't they just do a full tune up?

He specifically said no brake job but it sounds like BMW covers a brake job.

Yeah finding a specialty shop would be nice. There are plenty of which cater to Japanese makes for reasonable prices around here. I'm sure there are some for the German makes but I'm guessing they are costly, especially if you're talking about synthetic oil. Lexus does $100 oil changes but I'm not even sure they use synthetic oil.
    The concept of the tune-up and the need for them are different from what they once were. With electronic management systems, not as many adjustments are required, and plugs supposedly last longer. For example, Acura claims that the TL and TSX will not require a tune-up for 105k and 110k miles, respectively.

Still, I'm a big believer in more frequent filter and fluid changes (although I might be persuaded about the coolant if it can be shown to me that the sealed system is inherently more efficient than what they once were.) Fluids break down and filters pick up dirt, so I can't see how leaving them in for extended periods can possibly be good for an engine.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Posts: 5,047
    But during the warranty period, things will be fine. That, I think, is the point of the extended service intervals.

My wife's BMW on a 36 month 45K miles lease gets 3 visits for oil 1 every 15K -- that's nuts, if you ask me.

No one asked me.

"I'm glad you axe me that question. . . ."
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    15k between oil changes is ridiculous. 10k is stretching it, even on synthetic oil.

I don't think you should wait longer than 7,500 miles for an oil change using sythentic, and 4-5k on regular oil.

But if you're leasing a car and turning it back in before your warranty is over, I guess it's not your problem.
  • macmurdomacmurdo Posts: 31
    I have been driving my 2005.5 A4 since May, and generally (apart from a few unusual sounds) have been pleased. One thing is really getting on my nerves though... my key intermittently and according to no pattern that I can discern, forgets how to lock or unlock the car. Sometimes it happens after I've driven somewhere, get out and try to lock.... nada. Sometimes it locks fine, I go and do something, come back some time later (minutes hours...) and it won't unlock!!!

It's very frustrating. I have to go through the resetting sequence at least once or twice a week.

Does anyone have any experience like this?? Is there a solution?? Is it a problem with my key or the central locking system??

Any thoughts? :confuse:
  • cicerocicero Posts: 51
    I recently have had the same experience. Is it a battery failure or a problem with the security system. Mark inter alia, are you out their? Problems and Solutions maybe? Cicero
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    Apparently the key fob failure is the single biggest issue with the B7 A4. Just let your dealer know and they will replace your fob. I've noticed this complaint over at AudiWorld and the complaints have pretty much dried up suggesting that the issue has been resolved.

At the end of August I'll be joining the B7 Bunch... after much test driving and pricing. Boy, holding off on the new E90 330i was tough! Anyhow I'm looking forward to my third Audi :)

Byron ('02 A4 Avant, MT, most options)
  • agisagis Posts: 2
    I am thinking buying a front track A4 2.0. I test drive the manual and multitronic. I kind of liked the multitronic a bit more. Good power at all speed and i like the 7 speed "manual mode". The Audi sales guy swears he can beat a 6 speed with the 7 speed 'manual'. What do you guys think?
    Also I guess if a put on the 7th gear at 70 MPH I will get very good MPG.
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Posts: 136
    Mark, loved to hear you are back with us :P . Do you think that they will ever offer the A6 in 6sp? I own a 2005 A4 6sp and I am in love with it, and mind you, that I have the anemic 1.8 engine!

What I would give to have the A6 in manual when my A4 Lease experies 2 1/2 years from now! Just a dream

R
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Posts: 220
    The Audi sale guy is correct. To get the times that the car mags get you really have to rev the engine and drop the clutch...Ouch!

But if you plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty period, I suggest you go for the manual anyhow (or consider an extended warranty plan). Audi manuals seem to be more reliable than Audi autos and CVTs. Also the current manual six-speed seems to be pretty good. I've driven two of them and they were great.

Byron
    As noted above, I have a 6-speed manual, and I'm pleased with it thus far.

Irrespective of the car, I would argue that virtually any 4-cylinder car is better mated to a manual transmission, because you as the driver will be better capable of adapting to the engine's torque curve and driving conditions than would an electronic device. A larger engine has enough power and torque that providing more driver control adds relatively minimal benefit, a big V-8 is often powerful enough for most of us to forego the shifting.

Also, automatics and CVT's are much more complex and therefore prone to failure. Aside from clutch replacement, there is little that can be expected to go wrong with the transmission of a MT car, something that cannot be said of an automatic.

Further, most of Audi's sales are in Europe, where manual transmissions are far more common. Accordingly, the company will put more effort into designing cars for its best markets, and those consumers will often want MT's. In the A4, the slickness of the action tells me that a fair bit of attention was paid to making it enjoyable to row through the gears of the 6 speed.

And finally, there is a cost issue -- the German cars really add a high markup for the AT. Be sure that you are willing to pay that premium, when it will just reduce your performance.

One advantage of the AT/ CVT cars is that they will probably be easier to sell in the US and Canada than would an MT. I'm hoping that I'll find an enthusiast who will appreciate a well-kept car with additional maintenance (i.e. extra oil changes,etc.) when it comes time to sell mine, but it seems that many a US buyer is not capable of driving a stick, let alone wanting one. (Priorities these days seem to be on drinking coffee, not driving.)
    Of the current competing transmissions in the current and foreseeable future configurations (in the US), I would say:

The A6 will never have a manual transmission.

The A6 quattro will probably not have a CVT for some time, but the FWD model if released in the US, will.

The A6 quattro will probably offer a 7 speed tiptronic in a year or two from now.

The A6 quattro will certainly offer at least a 6spd DSG -- and who knows the number of gears may increase in this transmission, too?

If I had my "magic wand" given the "never" statement could NOT be changed, my choice would be the DSG transmission. I have driven it in the 3.2 Audi TT -- and I have read all the glowing reviews of same about the A3 2.0T with DSG.

This transmission, even moreso than BMW's SMG, is "THE ONE" of the moment.

Carpe Diem. :shades:
  • joxer1joxer1 Posts: 27
    I don't think you are correct wrt the CVT. Unlike a slushbox, it doesn't rob power, adn it can actually stay at the precise spot required for the situation - a 6 speed is always trying to get your engine speed as closely matched to the current reuqirement as possible, but obviously having infinitely (relatively) speeds is able to keep it spot on. The funny part is when people ask about how many speeds the CVT has - all those speeds are simply software trying to duplicate a regular transmission for feel. It should be fastest to leave it alone, although it may feel a bit like driving a motorboat when you nail it, the engine zings up to the point where it can give the car the most forward urge and then simply stays at that rpm varying the gearing around it. I really do want to drive both this and the DSG in the A3 at the earliest opportunity. I do agree that I would never buy an auto with a 4 cylinder as the lack of torque just makes it a bad match at anything but highway cruising in lockup mode.

However, I do think that a manual transmission is still probably less problematic than a CVT, and I do enjoy shifting for myself, too bad if a FWD CVT is faster than my AWD 6MT. Even the DSG which really has a manual under the covers and can shift way more efficiently than any driver would probably not be my cup of tea, as the temptation is to just put it in auto mode and just become less involved with the process of driving.
    Well said.