Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,677
    O M G!!! It's stunning Fin, absolutely awesome!!! Now I really want my C Class! Congrats on this new addition, I think y'all will be very happy!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• WOW!

Very nice!

Gonna share the details?

Model?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,677
    Drove a 2013 Ford Escape with a bit over 14k on the clock. I will relate the driving experience another time as I am so happy with Fin's new ride, I want to concentrate on that tonight. Leave for Orlando at 7 so I'm gonna call it a night. Hoping to get something really fun tomorrow! Found out the Jetta don't have sat radio but still want to give one a whirl. Today I lucked out as the Cruze I stopped at was wanted by a nice co-worker so I let her have it. All of a sudden they drove up the Escape and stopped right in front of me so I said...sure! the guy behind me in an 2011 50k mile Camry tried his best to get me to switch but I declined his offer. Turns out it was the right choice...it's sat radio had been disconnected and he said it drove well...old! I know i got the better deal here and I was pleased with the Ford!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

P.S. Got my new smart phone last night as the guy had gone to another store to get me this phone. It's an android, a HTC ONE VX...a very nice easy unit. I've been playing wth it all day and love it. Almost got the iPhone 4s but decided I wanted the newer tech and the phone cost me 1 cent...the iPhone 5 was mucho dinero. The Windows phone that my wife has, a Samsung Focus, is o k but I don't like the tiles Windows uses, was very confusing for me. I'm having an easier time with the android system. A treat for myself for going back to work after so long!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,803
    lol, you really did it? Congrats!

(better than a bike too. :shades: )

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Very nice! Enjoy it!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,788
    Thanks. E350 Bluetec. Took advantage of a lease on the outgoing face 2013 models. Last week I saw a special for a P1 pano car, $489 month before negotiation, 24 months, 3700 down, 58K MSRP. Seemed too cheap. I had been thinking about a Bluetec for some time, so today I went in to see if I could get a price I liked. I guess I did :shades:

This car has P2 (keyless go, adaptive lights, auto close trunk, etc), pano, parktronic, lane tracking, power outlet, tiny spoiler. The last few things I didn't really want, but I am picky about color (I wanted white or "diamond silver", which is kind of a bluish silver) and pano - had to take what was available.

MSRP 63K. 3500 down, 24 months, ~560/month. There's an E facelift coming for 2014, so they are blowing them out. I also got Edmunds TMV for my trade (took a little work), so I'll be getting a nice check.

It's kind of a wasteful splurge, but I just had the itch. I also was thinking it was time to cut the cord on the old car - the longer I have it, the harder it will be for me to sell. I'm feeling OK, at least until the first payment :shades:
    Thanks. I think I will be happy too. I like the diesel purr and the way it seems to kind of engine brake at some in-town speeds. It's somewhat of an odd car, which is something I value.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    Looks nice. Would like to hear some mileage reports later on.

Barrier, I'd guess?

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Finally, haven't bought a car since 06.

The bike thing is funny - I will be getting a check that would buy me a nice bike. But I doubt I will now. The traffic is just scaring me too much, and now I will have an expense to distract me.
    Thanks!

Oh yeah, my first new car, too. Not a bad way to start, I guess :shades:
    The salesman who sold me the car has a 2012 Bluetec almost identical to mine. He claims up to 40mpg in calm interstate cruising.

Yep. Barrier. They are close to me, and the salespeople have always been nice when I have been kicking tires in the past. I suspect the old car will sell to one of them or a tech - another guy there says he is going to try to buy it.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,656
    Congrats on "the punch." It's gorgeous! Mazel-Tov!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,138
    I took the liberty of updating the punch list. Congratulations on the Mazda6, it sounds like an entertaining car!
    "DI engines clatter a lot, no wonder they synthesize the noise. Still great tech."

Drove it about 100 miles today with the soundaktor disconnected. I couldn't detect any clatter, but I had the windows up the whole time. The engine was eerily silent, though! :P

I do have concerns about carbon/gunk buildup on the valves of DI engines. It seems like the recommended preventative measures (use of specific oils and top-tier fuels) are crapshoots. I'm not aware of any evidence that they prevent valve deposits in DI engines.
    They had a Jetta Hybrid in the showroom at Swope VW. I don't think you can get much of a discount on them right now. It looks nice and offers a lot of features (like a full-folding back seat) not found in other midsize sedan hybrids other than the Prius. It is supposed to be a sportier drive than the Prius, Camry Hybrid, Optima Hybrid, etc., but they use 205mm wide low rolling resistance tires on all models, so there may not be a lot of grip to work with.

I'm seeing ~30 MPG on the trip computer in the GLI.
    Congrats on the Mazda6 Wagon my friend!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

Also updated the punch list for your lease. Did you trade the AMG?
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,315
    Find out what the oem brake pads were when your car was new. Let that be your guide. Another issue is the rotors. I know on my 02 Concorde, it was almost the same price to buy a set new as opposed to having them turned.
    edited February 2013
    Thanks. I am sure you think I should have kept the E55 - but I was starting to fear if I really held on to it, I would become too attached, and end up with a second fintail. I am trying not to be upset about saying goodbye. I think this was for the best. I know it will go to a good home, and won't be abused/bored by my drudgerous commute.

I also like the diesel noise and sensation, and the car is beautifully finished and fairly pretty. Maybe I will buy it at lease end.
    Yes. They offered a fair enough price (they aren't easy cars to sell), and I know 2 salesman want it. Many of the salespeople there are enthusiasts (the one who sold me the car has driven only MB for 30 years, the one who arranged some other details owns 3 and has had them for years), so it will go to someone who understands it. It's too old for their used lot, too old and weird to do well at auction, but would be a shame to have sit on some shady used lot. I don't think it will hit the market.
  • I believe I saw this very car a week or so ago when I was out at Barrier. My Volvo was getting serviced at their Volvo dealer, so my wife and I drove over to the Mercedes dealer.

Very nice! Congrats!
    I can't fault you at all fin tail. You made the right move. You owned the car for a while and it was time to part ways. I'm sure you'll LOVE the diesel's torque. I had a BMW 335d a few months ago when my 328xi was in for service and I LOVED the way the diesel drove. If they'd have somehow offered it with X-Drive, I'd be planning my purchase right now.

You'll most likely be able to see that D350 for more than the residual value when your lease is up. Diesels hold their value extremely well.

Thanks. I know my car was at the holding lot out behind the Audi dealer today - but there were 2 other W212 white pano cars on site.

My first Barrier experience, hope it goes well. The benefits seem good - car washes, checkups, nice facility, etc. A couple salesman there have said I should work there - as I know the cars pretty well, but I don't know if I could do it.
    It's very good off the line, and merging onto a highway is effortless. I took it for about a 20 mile test drive, the engine never works hard. I liked the fairly constant mechanical/exhaust noise of the E55 - now I get some occasional diesel noise, which also pleases me. I am sure I will feel good, still running on adrenaline here. I do love the tech on the car, the cool lights, good stereo, pano, HD nav, camera, etc.

Also a lot smoother and relaxed ride, being on 17" wheels with normal tires. The E55 was a rough rider.

I forget what residual they gave it, but it was high, hence the cheapish lease. It'll be pretty mint when the lease is up, will have to see what happens then.
  • Actually my only complaint about them thus far is that, as a service customer who bought their Volvo at "another dealer," they did make me feel a bit like a second class citizen. They didn't quite comprehend that I had relocated from 3000 miles away and wanted to give them all of my service business now that I live in the Seattle area.

I had planned to buy some accessories for the car that day (rubber floormats etc) from them, but I was left a bit soured by my encounter with the service folks so I decided against it.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    Congrats Fin! This has to be like the 10th Benz you bought! You have the fintail, had the E55, the older S Class. Heck you should have gotten a super loyalty rebate too! :shades:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

Oh, that stinks. I can't blame you for that. Do you live on the eastside or in Seattle? I think there's a couple Volvo dealers in the city.
    Thanks. Not so many, but a loyalty gift wouldn't be rejected. Oh yeah, I have to go back and get a set of rubber floormats I was promised.

I've had fintail, W126, C43, E55, and now this. Fintail is a sentimental piece, I loved the W126 as it was such a beautiful classy machine, C43 was cool but I didn't "bond" with it, was very comfortable in the E55 but I think my emotion will fade, and now the Bluetec.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,571
    2009 328i

A Sport Package car with Xenons; but it's a slushbox and we already have one E90 328i in the family- life is too short to do the same thing twice...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,530
    .. on the acquisition!
    Best of luck !!
    - Ray
    TQ addict ...