Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 352
    Definitely interested to see how you like the diesel over time. I've always been intrigued by them but there just aren't many options outside VW in my price range.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,655
    Our Pilot cost somewhere in the mid - upper $30s including tax. I figure it is a 10 year vehicle minimum. I figured the Pilot is an investment in my family.

As you know, my BMW is leased. The lease buy out is somewhere in the upper $20s. I'm going to use that as my basis for lack of a better word when I start car shopping in the summer of 2014.

I've only owned/leased new cars since I got my license at 16. That's most likely to change with my next ride. I'm going to look at my lease buyout, possibly buying another used/CPO E90 328xi, 335xi, '07 - '10 X3...

In 3 years, our Pilot will be paid off & it will be nice to have just 1 car payment.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,138
    The lack of an automatic is a deal killer for me on a daily driver. Otherwise, I would have test driven the Focus ST.
    I think the Rogue is the oldest vehicle in Nissan's fleet other than the pickups, and it's starting to show its age.
    "I secretly like the Golf R actually, but after reading about the exploding water pump issue on vortex (not just one or two, but happening to many), I think it and VWs in general are out for me."

Wow, I just googled that. I'm glad my GLI has a timing chain. Some of you might remember that the timing belt tensioner on my dad's Beetle TDI locked up shortly after the dealer replaced the timing belt... I guess my bad memories of that ordeal have faded, since I gave VW another chance.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,325
    It's that potential ability to go out and just pass the idiots, if you could get the space. In a slower car where such things aren't possible, the issue goes away. I think softer suspension does something, too.

Yeah, speed was never a high priority for me. I just wanted enough power to be comfortable passing when needed, to safely make left turns, etc.

Then I got the 335. :)

Now I'm a bit more aggressive, cause I can be. Drove my wife's 328 wagon the other day and found myself missing the pull of my car. How quickly I have been spoiled.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    edited February 2013
    I guess my bad memories of that ordeal have faded, since I gave VW another chance.

Which is totally reasonable, since there seem to be a lot of people that haven't had any issues with their VWs. As for the Golf R, as it sounds like you've read, the failure rate on that assembly seems consistent and high. A few have needed engine replacements. Too bad, as I like the car's mission of being refined/adult WRX.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,624
    It is nice having the "hot rod" power in our new RDX, but it really is overkill. Maybe it is a regional thing, but I would say that in the last 20 years, I have had occasion to pass on a 2-lane road maybe 5 times, at most. And my wife most likely would never do it.

frankly, you could put a rev limiter at 3K on that car, and I might never know about it. The only time I ever go over that is to give my daughter a thrill, since she likes to hear the growl!

I found the NA 4 cyl in the Santa Fe to be more than peppy enough for normal use, and I am sure if it was needed, I could pass a slowpoke in it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The XV does get a bigger fuel tank. I doubt real world MPG will be 3 mpg lower, to be honest. A lot of cars are optimized to get good numbers on the EPA cycle, which helps sell cars.

Autoweek tested the whole fleet of 40mpg queens and only 2 actually got 40mpg at 70mph (VW TDI and Mazda3 SkyActiv).
    but I had the windows up the whole time

Good sound insulation. ;)

Also, turbos mellow out the exhaust note, so that balances things out.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I think I've mentioned that my wife will be starting a new job in a couple of weeks. This new job will require her to drive 50% farther on her daily commute (~22 miles vs. ~15 miles currently), plus she will be traveling between the office and various child care sites around the county.

We've had on again, off again talks about getting her something more fuel efficient to drive. The CX-7 she currently drives got less than 19 MPG on the last tank of gas.

So ... what to do?

Her wants:
    Hatchback or wagon
    Heated seats
    Sunroof
    Automatic
    Not black interior

AWD is not mandatory, since she'll be commuting into Denver and the roads are usually in much better shape.

We had a lively discussion yesterday about what's out there that is both good on gas and meets her criterion (her comments in parenthesis).

Ford C-Max ("looks dorky"); Prius ("no way"); Juke ("I like it"); Mini Countryman ("I could get used to a MINI"); Jetta TDI SportWagen ("not too bad").

The Juke, in AWD trim, doesn't get great mileage (25/30); neither does the Countryman (25/31 w/ AWD; 26/32 without).

I kinda like the Jetta SW .. but, she doesn't want a dark interior this go around. So, trying to find a Jetta TDI Wagon with the Cornsilk (beige) interior and sunroof is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

We shall see.
    maybe I am tired of low profile tires

So was I, but I got tires. You went out and got a new car. :shades:

Mounted the tires today and I still hear a lot of road noise, but feel less of it. Speedo is reading a bit slow, at 60 the GPS says I'm doing 62-63.

Back to the BlueTec - is that a dark gray interior? I remember you had wanted something a bit lighter. I'm sure the pano roof really brightens things up.
    Visibility on those is poor. Did you have to park it? Did it have a backup cam?

The back seat is also tight. That class is so competitive, there are better choices IMHO.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,315
    Going from 18 to 30 mpg for the amount you drive will take forever to pay off in swapping rides. Getting a 50 mpg hybrid makes a bit more sense. Don't get rid of the Mazda because of the mpg if it's running good. Get rid of it because you want a new car and better mpg is important. Unless you really want a diesel because you like them, be careful. The fuel is higher and after warranty, maintenance[VW] will eat into your savings vs gas. When all is said and done, do what feels right and keep everyone informed.
    Impreza Premium with the all-weather package/moonroof/alloys would be a good value for her. Or a Sport model, those have the AWP standard.

The Elantra GT I test drove might fit the bill, I think a couple of colors have a beige leather/two-tone. Pano roof is nice.

Toss in all the fun hatches - VW GTI/TDI, Mazda3, Focus, too.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,424
    Leaf.

:blush:

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

Yeah, check what incentives your state offers. Here in MD the starting price after Fed+MD rebate is just $20,250!
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,325
    I've been obsessing a bit over the Impreza myself, and that sport model seems like a good deal. For $500 over the premium, you get the leather steering wheel (which I strongly prefer), 17" wheels, roof rack and side skirts.

For its roominess, it's my current favorite, but not sure if I can live with the cvt - need some more seat time, particularly at the high highway speeds I am often at.

On a side note, a local Honda dealer has a used CT200h with 10k miles for $24,500. Kinda tempting, but that backseat sure is skimpy (and it's red, which is my least favorite color).

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

Yeah, I checked out the CT at the Auto Show, not even big enough for me to ask the kids to sit back there.

I think the Prius c has more room, seriously.
    edited February 2013
    The Jetta SportWagen has a nice panoramic sunroof. As I said in an earlier post, it's based on the last generation Golf platform, and you might consider a Golf TDI instead to get the newer platform. That said, my favorite color combination is a navy blue car with a beige or ivory interior, and this appears to be available on the JSW.

If she's seriously interested in the JSW, just drive one, and then tell the dealer you're ready to buy except you want one that's a different color and/or trim level. Unlike BMWs, there aren't many options beyond the trim level, so they can probably locate one from another dealer. That's what they did with my GLI.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,785
    edited February 2013
    Can't put normal tires on an E55 without a wheel change, which would be pricey and look dumb.

The new car has a black interior, which was the biggest compromise along with a few options I didn't really want. They claimed to have looked through national inventory, and no car exists exactly how I wanted it. Oh well. I wanted "almond" or the light grey ("ash", I think). The pano helps a lot - the dark grey on dark grey E55 was kind of gloomy.

I saw a "quartz blue" E350 gas this morning. If I could find a loaded quartz blue on almond Bluetec car after the lease is up, I might buy it - it should be in my price range by then. I like that color, kills me that they discontinued it.
    Not to 100 miles yet, but I love it so far. The low speed clatter is kind of charming to me, reminds me of an old car. I get the best of both worlds - old car noise, new car tech.

This thing wouldn't have been in my price range without the sweetheart lease. Ideally, I would like a C250 diesel - but they just aren't here yet. The E is a bit of a barge and a little bigger than I really want, but I am not complaining.
    Curious - is it heavier than the car you traded?

Must be bigger, right? 2 generations of upsizing.
    500 lbs heavier, probably a couple inches wider and a few inches longer, too. The idea of cramming a motorcycle and car into my parking spot might have to be abandoned.
    Why? Bet it could park itself and still avoid hitting the bike. :shades:
    Going from 18 to 30 mpg for the amount you drive will take forever to pay off in swapping rides. Getting a 50 mpg hybrid makes a bit more sense. Don't get rid of the Mazda because of the mpg if it's running good. Get rid of it because you want a new car and better mpg is important. Unless you really want a diesel because you like them, be careful. The fuel is higher and after warranty, maintenance[VW] will eat into your savings vs gas. When all is said and done, do what feels right and keep everyone informed.

Absolutely; those are all good points. I've given this some thought. Key metrics:

Fuel cost per month - at the moment, PUG is $3.60/gal and ULSD is about $4/gal. Assuming 15K per year (1250 per month) and 20 MPG for the Mazda and 35 MPG for the VW, we'd spend $225/mo on gas for the Mazda and $143/mo for diesel.

Payment - yes, we're upside down on the Mazda. However, the dealer where I get the Mazda serviced at also carries VW, so I might be able to get them to overallocate on the trade value if it helps them move a new unit. Wife will be more inclined to get a new car if I can reduce the monthly nut, even by a little bit. Would have to talk to the dealer about that.

Also, I've been working on my debt and, as a result, my credit score is now between 750-780, so I might also get a cheaper rate on the loan.

Insurance - need to call my agent to see what the cost of coverage would be for the VW. I figure about the same, but perhaps going from an SUV to a car might help a bit.

I mentioned leasing, but the unknown is the number of miles per year she'd drive for the job. Plus, we'd also use the car for any road trips, so leasing is probably a non-starter.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    Speaking of wagons, did you guys see the the new Auris Touring heading to Geneva? Looks a lot sleeker than a Prius V, that's for sure.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

Impreza Premium with the all-weather package/moonroof/alloys would be a good value for her. Or a Sport model, those have the AWP standard.

The Elantra GT I test drove might fit the bill, I think a couple of colors have a beige leather/two-tone. Pano roof is nice.

Toss in all the fun hatches - VW GTI/TDI, Mazda3, Focus, too.

She didn't like the looks of the Impreza, though she does like the Crosstek (25/33). She's never test driven a CVT, so I'd be curious how she felt about it.

Elantra GT - for some reason, Hyundai and Kia are out. Don't ask me why.

Fun hatches - yep, I've shown her the Golf TDI and she's already driven the Mazda 3i GT hatch (with SkyActiv).

I'm having a hard time getting her to move to a car .. she's been driving small SUVs for the last 8 or 9 years, and she likes the visibility of them. That's why she's pushing for a smaller SUV (Juke, Countryman).

I priced out a FWD Countryman and managed to add $5K to the $26K base price.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,315
    Breld -- no disrespect to Subaru, but didn't you have issues with the Audi A5 ? Do you think you will be happy in a Subaru ? I could see an A3 [awd & TDI]-- there are still some low mileage CPO's or even new around. A few years ago, I looked at the A3 but never got serious. The one thing I loved was the seat and driving position. The hatch was a plus as well. People compare them to the GTI but I checked them both and found a very different ambiance. A Honda EX-L AWD would be a safe buy re resale -- never drove one but folks seem to like them. I admire your restlessness when it comes to cars. Good luck.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,571
    edited February 2013
    So ... what to do?

GTI mit der DSG?

My wife and I liked the Countryman, but we were more than a little put off by our MINI dealer. We also noticed that there were more than a few used Countrymen for sale with very low mileages. In fact, one Countryman we were looking at sold- and then was returned a day later. Hmmm... Not long after we bought the CPO 3er Automobile, Car and Driver, and Road&Track all published the results of their long term tests of the Countryman. The evaluations were ambivalent at best:

Automobile: Few were sad to see the Mini go.

Car and Driver: We just wish the Countryman could keep its footing better in rapid transitions—and had fewer rattles and squeaks. Those who want a Mini for family use will perhaps forgive the relative slow-wittedness, but the rattles and creaks don’t seem appropriate for a so-called premium vehicle. Maybe Mini’s next revolution should be in the area of interior fitments.

Road&Track: Mini mediocrity.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying that my wife and I do not regret buying a 2009 CPO 328i for less than the price of a new Countryman with relatively few options...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica