Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,759
    There is an article in the Wall Street Journal today about the sky high price of used cars. I don't have a subscription, but they let you read the 1st paragraph!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,255
    edited February 2013
    You can sometimes paste the headline in Google and read the article. The story did make me think about the beaters in my garage. :blush:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Gas is over $4 locally so I'm sure hybrid/diesel prices are spiking now.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,689
    edited February 2013
    Had a 2013 Chevy Cruze today with over 31k on the clock...what a piece of crap this car is! Luckily it had sat radio but it drove sloppily, accelerated very hard and loudly and felt like a Flintstone car...just not refined at all! Who would buy this crap with so many other good choices out there? Sure hope the Verano drives a whole lot better, even the Ford Focus was a better overall vehicle! The imports put this Cruze to shame and I now understand why there are so many in the U S. What an embarrassing vehicle!

Drove a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to Orlando yesterday...interesting vehicle. Started out slow but once that power rush hits, man...you're flying down the pike! Would never own one but it was fun for a few hours. Off tomorrow at this point and have an appointment to get the Civic's headliner replaced at my house next Wednesday, so I'll take the day off. Will probably have the brakes replaced that day also if they need it and a oil change, rotation and re-balance of the tires. Since I'm not home everyday, got to plan multiple things all together now. But after staying home for almost 2.5 years, it's nice to be out again and driving a different car every day!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,171
    edited February 2013
    Do you know which engine the Cruze had? The 1.4 turbo is supposed to be better. I'm not that impressed with SiriusXM so far. I like Pandora via my cell phone better.

I am really loving the low end torque of the 2.0T in the Jetta. It can accelerate at a good clip while keeping the RPMs low, and the engine feels much livelier than the one in the Altima.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,414
    >> Had a 2013 Chevy Cruze today [..] Who would buy this crap with so many other good choices out there?

I would, begging your pardon, and I just leased one... this is the second time you had a Cruze & hated it.... given your back problems, I wouldn't expect any particular love, but I disagree with your assessment of the car.

Which begs the question, since both of us have an interest in cars and some experience, what's going on? I have only driven the 1.4 T; my own car and an Eco on a test drive. Both were manual 6 speeds, and the clutch and transmission is half the reason I really like the car. The other half is the engine plus the quiet and composed ride... power isn't huge, but certainly better than just adequate.

What I'm not too happy about is the very cocooned and enclosed feeling; stepping into my Vibe, I'm struck by a sense of airiness and headroom... and also by a sense of how loud, rude, and crude the Vibe is in comparison.

Getting into and out of the Cruze is a bit harder, too. Not exactly sports-car like, but even my wife -- 5'2 and skinny -- finds it hard to climb out of the seat.

Maybe the LS with the 1.8 NA engine + automatic is a lot different, but I wouldn't know. In all seriousness, the car that most closely resembles my Cruze is a 2nd-generation A4 turbo stick I drove a decade ago; cloth seats, similar in feeling, solid and heavy and quiet and fast enough.

I had a rental Focus last year and didn't think much about it one way or the other. Go figure.

Cheers -Mathias
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,950
    31K rental miles might be harsh. I once had a Kia Spectra rental with 25K miles on it that looked like a private car with 250K on it. I hope it was just abused.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    edited February 2013
    I had the opportunity to rent TWO 2012 Impala's driving them both about 130 miles each (Emerald Club) from the California desert to LAX and back. Actually, both were the same color and mileage (7,500 miles). It drove fairly well but the engine was just plain loud.

It had plenty of room for luggage in the trunk but my back-seat guests complained about the low position of the back seat and it was just plain hard and uncomfortable. :sick:

Maybe the new restyled Impala will have better improvements.

Will try something different next time.

Mark156
    Well, if you don't have more than one passenger, try a Cruze and see what you think :)
    -Mathias
    The 2012 model has the GM corporate 3.6 liter overhead cam V6. I haven't driven that one but that engine has been criticized for its harshness. I had the 3.5 liter version as a rental car and thought it rode well. The 3.5 was relatively quiet in that car and felt quicker off the line than the G6 (with the same engine) I had at the time.
    edited February 2013
    Corvette, you said the right word about the Impala engine, 'harshness'.... it was definitely harsh!

While in Hawaii, we rented a Buick Enclave.... very large, hard to see around the edges but a nice back-up camera. The second row had buckets which I didn't like as the third row area was piled with luggage. If we had a fifth person, we would have had to put them on the roof I guess. LOL!

It drove well and had the same controls as the Impala (air/radio, etc.).

Mark156
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I haven't driven that one but that engine has been criticized for its harshness.

Can I have a link please? I have that engine in my 2012 LaCrosse and I can't feel/hear any harshess. It's not quite as refined as a Toyota 2GR, but you can rev it to 6500 and you barely can tell its working.

This was a Ward's 10 best engine a few years back.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Drove a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee to Orlando yesterday

Hemi or Pentastar V6? I'm guessing V6 since you said it started out slow...
    31K rental miles might be harsh.

Sometimes very harsh - I had a Ford Taurus rental with 7k miles, smoked in, and that was perhaps the most miserable car I've ever had to drive.

Thankfully I have a 3rd car, so I drove it from the body shop to home with the windows wide open, and back the day I returned it, that was it.

They could not have given me that car for free.
    "Can I have a link please? I have that engine in my 2012 LaCrosse and I can't feel/hear any harshess."

I thought I had read that somewhere about the Acadia, but can't find the review anymore, so I retract my statement. :blush:
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    The reason I asked for a link was that I couldn't find one! I looked at reveiws for my car and the Enclave/Acadia and most had nothing but good things to say about it.

I wonder if in the Impala the air intake/exhaust setup is significantly different from the other (newer) platforms that would change the character of the engine.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

The two Impala's I rented sounded exactly the same. It must be related to the exhaust set-up.

Mark156
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,344
    My LaCrosse is very quiet as well -- could be somewhat related to the extra insulation and quiet ride technology which is a Buick priority.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,570
    On the topic of rentals, I drove and rode in the back seat (not at the same time!) of a 2012 Fusion. I found the seats of that car incredibly comfortable, and overall it was quiet and compliant (when driving). It wasn't the handler my Fiesta is, but a nice family sedan nonetheless.
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,384
    The Impala always surfaces over on TTAC, most recently as one of the best used car deals today. It has a lot of engine, that's for sure. I had a 2011 as a rental a few weeks ago and it was meh, but I haven't driven the newer engine.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

I'd have to agree with Mathias here. I've had a number of Cruzes as rentals this year, most recently a 13 LTZ. I thought it was pretty nice. The 1.4T has usable torque, quiet, mileage was acceptable, good sized trunk, and the ride/handling compromise was okay. New touchscreen is responsive, no issues with it locking up, etc. All in all, pretty good and definitely not crap.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

It's a little too big and lacks features like a backup camera or parking sensors, but it rides well and I agree it's a lot of car for the money.
    There's actually another article they did that compares the Cruze 1.8 and the Impala that's an interesting read. Year old examples of each are probably around the same price, I guess.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

edited February 2013
    I've read that (and usually read TTAC every day), but that's probably worth a reread. Baruth's articles on the GLI and GTI planted the seed for my getting one. :D

Edited to add: Aha! Baruth says the GM 3.6 liter V6 "feels somewhat coarse" in the CTS.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,931
    how often do you see one of these in the wild?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/3627471441.html

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,759
    I notice that Toyota dealers still have 2012 Priuses (Prii?) on their lots. With gas prices well into the $4/ gal range one would think tv the be selling better.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Never knew they made those with a stick!

"the bad..abs light comes on and off"

Add to that, the non-OEM wheels/tires (which look like they came off a Mustang) and lowered suspension. Also, I read the ad three times and don't see where the seller listed the mileage. And another thing: Not enough pics.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,931
    my rule of thumb, if they leave it out, you will gag on it.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

My rule is that if they leave it out it's probably because they want too little money but are embarrassed.

Seriously: No price = Next!

-m
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,344
    Maybe folks have more choices in high mpg vehicles at thousands less than the Prius and maybe they realize that buying a new car to get better mpg is financially foolish.