Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,197
    The proportions are awkward and I don't like the area under the headlights (air intake? piece of black trim?).
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    2013 Avalon ... harsh ride

I think it's those enormous rims they're putting on these cars. Totally unnecessary.
    No car will make you both respected and laughed at more. ;)
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    enormous rims

It could be, but my LaCrosse has 18" 50 series and rides pretty smooth. I do agree for most 4 door average sedans 17" should be plenty.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,393
    I bet the Encore sells well to women. Tall visibility and easy to park. Just a hunch...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    edited March 2013
    No car will make you both respected and laughed at more

I assume you are talking about just this forum. But laughed at? really?

It does make me wonder what my relatives would think. As soon as people say it, I'd pretty much be jumping right in with "you wouldn't believe how cheap they are!"

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

Perhaps empathy/pity are better words.

I'm referring to running costs.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,391
    edited March 2013
    So I had an ad on craigslist all prepared for my 530i, and was a click away from posting it, but opted out at the last minute.

Like I've said, with the "new-to-me" 335xi, the 530i is sort of redundant in purpose, and I would like a hatchback or small SUV instead. But, I'm finding myself a bit sentimental about the 5. Other cars I've sold - the A5, GTI - are easily replaced in the event I changed my mind. But finding another E39 manual/sport pkg in the condition of my car probably won't happen again.

I'm probably just being dumb and overly sentimental about a car, but nothing wrong with holding onto it a while longer - perhaps the Denver Auto Show at the end of the month will make me change my mind.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

I don't know much about those, but sure seems like an awesome car for the price of an Accord (at least initially).

Would it replace the 135i? Forget about being anonymous anymore.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,409
    This is prime time for car sellers -- folks get their tax refund and many look to upgrade their rides.
  • boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,108
    When I worked at Ferrari, we even stayed away from keeping any pre 2006 Maseratis in stock just because of the dual select transmission and other wear and tear issues. Clutch, tires, and brakes needed to be done on an annual basis which usually cost between $10-$20k. :surprise:

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg, 1993 Honda Accord EXR (my 33rd car).

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,745
    Went over to Sarasota this morning...nice crisp day but loads of traffic after Ft. Myers. Picked out a Kia Sportage and was about to open the rear door to stash my stuff when another co-worker jumps in the front seat and says, "sorry" as he closes the door. Man was I pissed but he just smiled and drove it into line. I've tried to be so nice so far and given cars to others with a preference but now with this dude...pay backs are gonna be a [non-permissible content removed]! Totally classless person but he's a foreigner and doesn't get the American way I suspect. Anyways, it was a rotten thing to do as he saw me right there and then to smile at me as he drove away...really stinky!

The boss saw all this so he called me over and put me into an Altima and just said not to get shook over it...he's a really cool guy to work for. Had my aux cable so had good tunes the way over which put me into a better frame of mind. Car drove very nicely and the few times I got up to past 90, the car performed like a champ...no shaking or loss of traction though the car had just over 24k on the clock. The only thing it needed, badly, was an alignment as the steering wheel was cocked to the right a bit and not straight as I prefer. Nissan did a nice job with these and am looking forward to driving a new 2013 model for a longer road trip. Weather was picture perfect and the rest of the day went great. Was very happy to get the gig. Have also applied for a similar job at another company as I hear they are going to do theirs in house very soon...not good for our company which will mean less work. I have to look out for my future and personally, I'd like a more defined schedule with set work days and hours so I can really have a life. We shall see how this all pans out. This is a business I'd like to stay in with more hours and a set schedule. As I always say, "life is timing...what's meant to be will happen"!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Would it replace the 135i?

Well, yes, it would have to. And that's the toughest part. As I've said to the wife, I could only trade the bimmer for something real special, like a Porsche or Maserati. But, hell, I've got a whole stack of mods waiting to be put on the 1er this month before my next track event 4/8-4/9.

boom - i guess it depends on how much you drive it. The life of the clutch ranges from what I've found. Folks report 20k up to even 40k, although the lower seems to be the more common. I don't think anyone is putting 20k per year on their maserati, but I could be wrong. I've put about 1k per month on average on my 1. Even at every other year, its an expensive proposition.

I would think it'd be pretty hard to replace the 135i - it's so well-rounded for a fun everyday car and upkeep is pretty modest, particularly relative to something like the Maserati.

This is prime time for car sellers -- folks get their tax refund and many look to upgrade their rides.

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm thinking now would be a good time to go ahead with selling the 530i. Sounds like the market is prime for sellers right now.

We'll see - it's just a matter of time as gradually psych myself up for it.

When I worked at Ferrari, we even stayed away from keeping any pre 2006 Maseratis in stock just because of the dual select transmission and other wear and tear issues. Clutch, tires, and brakes needed to be done on an annual basis which usually cost between $10-$20k.

Congrats, Boom. I have to think you have successfully convinced Q out of a Maserati. You've certainly convinced me. :)

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,777
    2009 135i M Sport

Just about my favorite color combination, and the price seems reasonable. I have a CCA buddy in the vicinity who has bought a few cars from that dealer and has offered to check it out as well as find out how firm that price is...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

RB: I don't know that you are a chronic car buyer, but you are definitely a chronic car shopper.

I do like the red interior.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

One word...STUNNING! If I were in the market, it had an auto tranny and had that $ coming my way right now, I'd call this my perfect vehicle! But since none of these things have happened yet, I'll stay the course. But seriously, that's a very sweet vehicle and would make me a very happy camper to own a slushbox model. RB and Breld, you're lucky your wives get it with these vehicles...wish mine did. I really want a super fun car next time, something besides an econobox!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Will the wheel locks that we've got on the '05 Mazda fit another vehicle? When we do trade it, is it worth it to take those with us and use them on her next or my vehicle? Or are these things vehicle specific? Very curious here as they came gratis with the car, we put a deposit down on a charcoal colored car but they located this one and brought it over from across the state. Guess they hoped we'd like it and turns out, we really did and were very happy things worked out as they did. Still are and when it's cleaned up properly, it's still a very good looking vehicle! Am still gonna have my detail guy take a whack at it and clean the oxidized headlamps. Think it'll be $ well spent as we could keep it another year possibly. We talked Sunday night and decided to wait and see what happens. Clean it up and do the headlamps first and then if the a/c does crap out, fix it also if it's not super expensive. Am not getting the alignment policy though, as the tires are not even a year yet and it drives straight and true. We'll gamble that it'll stay in specs and won't prematurely ruin the sneakers. She still loves the car and cars today can go upwards of 300k I'm sure with proper maintenance.

The Insomniatic Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

edited March 2013
    It has been a shade over 14 months since I bought my '08 with 42k optioned the same way except for the trans, and it looks like the value is still right around the same. You should be able to knock it down another $1k without too much of a fight.

Just check the in service date to see how much warranty, if any, is left. It is due for plugs at 45k, which will be covered under the free service if still within 48 months. With 19.9 mpg average showing, its definitely been run hard. Also, those are the same silly putty wheels mine came with. Be prepared to replace those with aftermarket wheels when they crack/bend. And, last but far from least, it is going to need a carbon cleaning of the valves. Again, if under warranty, there is a small chance you could get that covered if you make nice with your service advisor.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,197
    If they came from Mazda, they may be specific to the vehicle. I think you can get generic ones at Autozone.

My GLI seems to be missing the key for its wheel locks. Hope they can get that straightened out at the follow-up service visit they scheduled for me this Saturday.
    I hate wheel locks. You always have to make sure anyone working on the car puts the key back in, etc. I once had the dealer strip one on my Solara and had to have the car towed when I had a flat. My big mouth got the dealership to cover the whole thing, as they were the only people who touched that car.

Also, they aren't that secure. A true thief will just get a master set like the dealers have and steal the wheels anyway.

edited March 2013
    I did this before:

How To Remove Wheel Locks Without a Key

http://youtu.be/mJUUyjJqk5A

The hard part is separating it afterwards. With half a million views, every car thief in the whole world knows how to get around them.

Promise I only "stole" my own rims. ;)
    Wheel locks are just like the "Club" only a mild deterrent to the casual thief. I think everyone knows a pair of bolt cutters/hacksaw to the steering wheel makes quick work of removing it.

If a professional thief wants your wheels, the whole car, or to enter your house. There is no stopping them, only slowing them down.

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,651
    Folks' responses have piqued my interest, but the link doesn't bring anything up for me. :(
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,777
    The fact that it's a DI engine gives me pause, as it seems that no one has solved the intake valve deposit issue. Also, wastegates and turbos don't fail all that often, but when they do...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,904
    just trading in for most of you (ahem, ahem, ahem), but I've told you before that we're in it for the "long haul" with my wife's 2011 Pilot EXL w/ Navigation. Well, with just over 32,000 miles on the odometer (since May 2011) I noticed the front right tire is down to the wear bars, the front left tire is brand new (maybe 4,000 miles - thank-you metal shrapnel in costco parking lot), and the rears couldn't be rotated the last time we took it to the dealer because he said they would make a tremendous amount of noise. So I started looking around a tire prices. The Good Year Forteras that came with it don't seem to be doing the trick (I don't want to be buying tires every year & a half), so I did some digging and noticed that the Pilot Touring (which I should of bought because it has a power liftgate, but I didn't like the wheels or the DVD player built in to the roof) came with Michelin Latitude Tires. These are more expensive than the Good Years, but if they wear better and I can keep them longer than it is worth the extra expense to me. They get fantastic reviews online.

I checked tire rack, costco, and a local Good Year place that I've used before. They were all basically the same price, so I stuck with the local guy. As of this afternoon, I'll be $900 poorer (including mounting and balancing) :sick: .

Interesting side note. I purchased a set of 18" tires for my Mom's 2011 Cayenne that actually came out to be less expensive than the 17" Michelins I'm buying for my wife's Pilot.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

I know there are many that will disagree, but I've had better luck with Michelin tires than any other brand. They have all worn well, and been good performers. They are expensive, (the model on my Buick is close to $250/tire) but money well spent.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,904
    I have the feeling that I'm going to get what I pay for with these Michelins. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium