Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    Awesome, awesome! B)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    yup. Up the old car budget in a few months.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

just started getting Automobile magazine again. let it lapse, and finally got a deal offer good enough to re-up. so read the July issue today (got 2 for some reason, July and August, together),

anyway, they did a recap of their 4 season test on the wrx (a premium stick shift). Perked my ears up. Need to try one of those out too. Not sure how the wife will like it, so probably best to just leave her home.

next year at the car show, we are going to be there a long, long time to see everything. She is gonna love that.

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,519
    fintail said:

Congrats, sounds like a little extra money for cars :)

stickguy said:

yup. Up the old car budget in a few months.

Perhaps. Lots of variables that will take a few months to sort out. So, I'll hang on to the Elantra until the end of the lease, and go from there.

Speaking of which, an "end of lease" kit showed up. Has a card to measure dents and scratches, and explains my options.

Though the more I think about it, I'd really like a sporty stick shift next time - used GLI GTI or Civic Si are at the top of the list today.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Yea! I see shopping trips in our future!

too bad the screaming deal I passed on last year on the Si isn't likely to happen again. I would probably take that next time.

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,582
    Thumbs up @Michaell !

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Congrats Michaell - good job.
    [ Get that - double meaning ? ]
    - Ray
    I am very pleased for ya !
    2022 X3 M40i
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,343
    Michaell said:

So, a conclusion to the job search is in sight.

I received a phone call today from the recruiter, telling me all the approvals for my offer letter are in place.

Showed up in my inbox a couple hours later. I haven't yet e-signed it - I want to sleep on it, though I doubt very much it will change my mind.

Title - Manager, Education Operations

Salary - 105% of what I was making at IBM

Start date - July 18th

And, it looks like my contribution to the health / vision / dental benefit premiums will be about $135/mo less than what I was paying at IBM. Haven't done a compare of the two programs, though I had an EPO through IBM and a PPO through the new company.

Glad this is almost over, and excited to get started.

Congrats! That's a stressful process and it looks like it turned out well!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Congrats @Michaell!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    I got passed by a Black Volvo V70 yesterday afternoon on my way home from work. He was traveling at a rapid rate of speed with Vehicle Manufacturer Plates from NJ. It said 3.0R on the back and I saw the Blue Badge. Was that a Polestar or an R-Design? Either way, it was awesome!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    @michaell Congrats! Must be nice to have skills and be wanted! B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    nyccarguy said:

Yes! Way to go @Michaell

Seconded! Well done and a bit more cash in your pocket too. All worked out for the best.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    Excellent news on the job front -- congrats!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats @Michaell!
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    stever said:

Congrats @Michaell!

+1
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    nyccarguy said:

I got passed by a Black Volvo V70 yesterday afternoon on my way home from work. He was traveling at a rapid rate of speed with Vehicle Manufacturer Plates from NJ. It said 3.0R on the back and I saw the Blue Badge. Was that a Polestar or an R-Design? Either way, it was awesome!

I do see the occasional V60 Polestar out and about, and those get me a little excited, I can't lie.

A V70 would be the R-design. Don't know what's up with the 3.0R though; that's not corporate Volvospeak for a powertrain. Maybe he stole it from one of your Subaru buddies.

@breld - I have a customer with a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition. DSG. 95K miles. He bought the car new.

What do you think his buyout will be?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    tifighter said:

nyccarguy said:

I do see the occasional V60 Polestar out and about, and those get me a little excited, I can't lie.

A V70 would be the R-design. Don't know what's up with the 3.0R though; that's not corporate Volvospeak for a powertrain. Maybe he stole it from one of your Subaru buddies.

Polestar is pricey isn't it? Like $62K?
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724

Yes, stopped by the indie shop right near my house and was impressed with the store. Bet it would be more expensive at the dealer also. Since I do like 90% highway, might be nice to get it a bit more stable. Tire/wheel package is what the engineers came up with so not gonna mess with that so the rear sway bar is the next thing to try. Think it'll just add to my driving enjoyment to be honest!

The Sandman :)B)

I do find the tire/wheel package selected by the manufacturer's engineers to be a good way to tell how "serious" a performance car they intend the vehicle to be.

A Mazda 3 with skinny 205's... blah. A VW Golf with 225/45/17's, oh yeah!

the Volvo's have pretty skinny wheels and tires even on their performance models.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion

Polestar is pricey isn't it? Like $62K?

Yeah, spendy. It is weird because the dealers say forget it, they are all sold out, and then Volvo lists rebates on them. Must be a regional thing; they don't seem to stick around here. I'd like to drive one.

nyccarguy said:

@breld - I have a customer with a 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition. DSG. 95K miles. He bought the car new.

What do you think his buyout will be?

That's a nice and rare model - sort of a shame to have to sell it back!

Buyback is $15,947 - add $540 for sunroof, $570 for navigation. Subtract $360 or $630 for mileage ($360 for 80,001-85,000 adjusted mileage and $630 for 85,001-90,000 - it'll be right between those two).

IF they come up with a fix and he wants that, he'd get the fix and $5,147, subject to the same adjustments above.

And I just found this, locally in Denver:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/672936185/overview/

Could there be a profit here?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Forget the buyback I would like that for myself!

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    edited July 2016
    Congrats, @Michaell ! What is this new mystery company, anyway? "Education Operations" piqued my interest. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx said:

Congrats, @Michaell ! What is this new mystery company, anyway? "Education Operations" piqued my interest. :)

It's a software company. I'll be managing all the back office operations - driving revenue, tightening processes, making things consistent. Lots of work, but I'm ready for the challenge.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

stickguy said:

Forget the buyback I would like that for myself!

According to @breld, the buyback value is just over $16k.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Revised - I "sharpened" my spreadsheet. So it's still about $15.5k on that Jetta.

After I showed EchoPark the comps and online values on that 2014 Sportwagen? Price was reduced by $1k last night. I'm shocked they haven't called yet, but I think the salesperson has Thursdays off.

Won't deny I'll have a little satisfaction in telling them I moved on to a better deal.

edited July 2016
    Forgetting the TDIs for a moment, this seems like a nice deal @Michaell.

CPO GLI

Wait - it may not be CPO. Still intriguing though.

breld said:

Forgetting the TDIs for a moment, this seems like a nice deal @Michaell.

CPO GLI

Wait - it may not be CPO. Still intriguing though.

I saw that. Been looking closely at the GLI inventory. Actually stopped by a Chrysler dealer that supposedly had a red one. Nope - looks like it had been sold.

There are a few black ones around town. Were they available in white?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Black, white, red and gray that I know of.

Yup - white was definitely available. I think it is/was basically black, red, white and gray.

I've test driven a couple of them - for always living in the shadow of the GTI, I really like the GLIs. I think it's a sharp looking sedan that's a blast to drive. Some of the things they decontented out of the Jetta initially came back in with the GLI, like improved interior materials and the independent suspension (I think I have that right).

Yeah, but much less fun. I enjoy driving more than I do owning or looking at the car, but that's just me. I find non-Interstate roads when I have the time and take much pleasure in seeing part of the country I haven't before (though that's become difficult) at my own pace while avoiding the traffic.

I find that the people who collect cars or treat them as art objects look at things entirely differently than I do.

Yeah I get it but there are parts of the country that aren't much fun to drive through-----well, I guess it depends on how you do it and what you run into. Every place is, I suppose, interesting to the curious mind. But I still recall how the plains of Nebraska seemed as endless as the Russian steppes on the road to Stalingrad.

Might be way more fun in a very old car taking two lanes roads and a whole lotta time to do it.
    Or in a Bugatti with cruise control set at 200 MPH.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    breld said:

If you have a loan on an eligible VW, as part of the buyback program, VW will pay off your loan even if you're upside down, up to 130% of the entitled value of the car.

Is that crazy or what?

That is nuts; seems to go in-line with the bigger failure you are, the bigger bailout you deserve moral hazard that some in the US seem to like.
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,343
    Big fan of the GLI too. Sharp looking sedan that's fun to toss around. Easy on the wallet. What's not to like?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    Michaell said:

xwesx said:

It's a software company. I'll be managing all the back office operations - driving revenue, tightening processes, making things consistent. Lots of work, but I'm ready for the challenge.
    Congrats Michael. Now hurry and get to work so the gov. doesn't run out of money for my SS. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    stickguy said:

Black, white, red and gray that I know of.

I think they also offered silver.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Michaell said:

xwesx said:

Yep, that sounds like a fun challenge, indeed! It should make for a steep learning curve that will have you diving in head-first. Perhaps more impressive is that you will be doing this from Colorado; I can definitely see why you will need to spend time in CA periodically.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,979
    I dunno if this article was posted here previously about some of the specifics of the VW settlement, but I found it very interesting:

http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-will-happen-to-the-thousands-of-diesels-volk-1782815084

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Michaell said:

So, a conclusion to the job search is in sight.

I received a phone call today from the recruiter, telling me all the approvals for my offer letter are in place.

Showed up in my inbox a couple hours later. I haven't yet e-signed it - I want to sleep on it, though I doubt very much it will change my mind.

Title - Manager, Education Operations

Salary - 105% of what I was making at IBM

Start date - July 18th

And, it looks like my contribution to the health / vision / dental benefit premiums will be about $135/mo less than what I was paying at IBM. Haven't done a compare of the two programs, though I had an EPO through IBM and a PPO through the new company.

Glad this is almost over, and excited to get started.

Congrats! I've just started my job search. Got laid off when the contract ended. Not too unhappy, I was working the same project for 26 years!
    Hey @stevedebi - good luck on your job search. Do you still have your Passat TDI? Are you going to take the buyback?

• stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    nyccarguy said:

Hey @stevedebi - good luck on your job search. Do you still have your Passat TDI? Are you going to take the buyback?

We are discussing it, for several reasons. For one thing, we could get out from under the loan and lease something cheaper for my wife. For another, we are upset at VW for lying to us. The other thing is that we don't want a dog of a diesel - the fix results are unknown.

My wife loves the car she has, but we are seriously thinking of selling it back. It is being bought through VW credit.
    edited July 2016
    ab348 said:

I dunno if this article was posted here previously about some of the specifics of the VW settlement, but I found it very interesting:

http://jalopnik.com/heres-what-will-happen-to-the-thousands-of-diesels-volk-1782815084

It would be a real shame to see them scrap all these cars. For goodness sake, just send them to Cuba. I'm sure they would pollute less than what they are driving there. Good upgrade. If I was Castro, I would be on the phone.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't think VW would want that kind of PR---shipping dirty cars to poor countries.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    What is it about seeing a car for sale in your neighborhood with a For Sale sign? Now, I'm looking at an '08 GTI. Sheesh...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So this is what I'm renting in CA this weekend.

Kia Rio with only 2500 miles on it. Oddly equipped - power windows and mirrors, USB port and satellite radio, but no cruise control.

And, I couldn't get my phone to pair via Bluetooth.

By the time I got to my moms house - 60 miles but 1 hour 45 minutes (have I mentioned that I don't miss, and absolutely abhor, LA traffic?) - my right leg was killing me. I moved the seat up and back to try and find a better angle, but no luck.

Not looking forward to the drive back on Monday.

That's my sons Accent parked in the driveway with it.

Took my moms '03 Sonata to lunch. Only has 35,xxx miles on it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Michaell said:

So this is what I'm renting in CA this weekend.

Kia Rio with only 2500 miles on it. Oddly equipped - power windows and mirrors, USB port and satellite radio, but no cruise control.

And, I couldn't get my phone to pair via Bluetooth.

By the time I got to my moms house - 60 miles but 1 hour 45 minutes (have I mentioned that I don't miss, and absolutely abhor, LA traffic?) - my right leg was killing me. I moved the seat up and back to try and find a better angle, but no luck.

Not looking forward to the drive back on Monday.

That's my sons Accent parked in the driveway with it.

Took my moms '03 Sonata to lunch. Only has 35,xxx miles on it.

I have had that problem before. The right leg, and sometimes the hip, really hurts. Usually caused by a large, high center console, forcing my right leg into an upright position. But sometimes the seat just doesn't fit, no matter what I do my leg is uncomfortable. Sounds like a big part of your problem was traffic, on and off the throttle and brakes? Imagine doing that, day in and day out, with a standard transmission and a clutch.

If and when I retire, and move back to the country with no traffic jams, ever, then I just might consider owning another standard transmission. That is, if anyone still makes such a beast by then.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica

I don't think VW would want that kind of PR---shipping dirty cars to poor countries.

You may be right from a "politically correct" standpoint, but I wouldn't describe these relatively clean diesels as "dirty cars". After all, the U.S. is allowing many of them to be driven here. Do you really think that these diesels would pollute more than the thousands of 50 and 60 year old cars that they drive now?

If handled correctly I think VW could get some good PR by doing this.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• nelsonfnelsonf Member Posts: 104
    I was wondering about that. I mean they're not puffing out black smoke or anything. I wonder if they meet any pollution standards, even standards from a few years ago, or are they really that bad?

Currently own: 2017 BMW M4, 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X Used to own: 2008 VW R32, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 1987 BMW 325IS