Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    stevedebi said:

nyccarguy said:

What VW Swap?

Some folks are planning to buy VW TDI and swap them out when VW buys them back this fall. I imagine that is what is meant.
    Thanks @stevedebi. That part I knew. I just didn't realize @qbrozen was looking into this as well.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,697
    Have an appointment over the lunch hour to get the routine service done on the new wagon. The trip computer is indicating service is due (based on time I assume, since that Chevy dealer had it for so long). I think the maintenance may actually be included under the VW carefree plan, which may have been in place for these 2013's? I'll find out.

And this dealership also has Audi, Volvo and Mazda - so it will be fun.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Don't go without a supervising adult. B)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    What, his wife the enabler?

Ky, fly to jersey. Me, you, Q and Fezo can meet in the middle, and storm the dealer together. Could probably sell tickets to that. At least video it and out on YouTube.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,343
    breld said:

Have an appointment over the lunch hour to get the routine service done on the new wagon. The trip computer is indicating service is due (based on time I assume, since that Chevy dealer had it for so long). I think the maintenance may actually be included under the VW carefree plan, which may have been in place for these 2013's? I'll find out.

And this dealership also has Audi, Volvo and Mazda - so it will be fun.

Maybe they will have one of those Polestar V70 wagons to check out. I.e. The family hauler that hauls :smile:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,734
    stickguy said:

Ky, fly to jersey. Me, you, Q and Fezo can meet in the middle, and storm the dealer together. Could probably sell tickets to that. At least video it and out on YouTube.

I'm free any weekend. Philly or Newark?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Are they open on Sunday? I can fly into Philadelphia for $125, one-way, next Saturday. But, I don't get in until 5:10 PM.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The brown one is close to Newark. NJ doesn't allow Sunday sales.

I go to vacation that Saturday, but I will think of you as I nap on the beach!

Those black wagons I think are near philly.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,724
    edited July 2016
    Loaner for my 5K service is a Q3. Very fast with the gem 2.0T and lightweight body. Seems like the perfect pick if you want a little cute-ute.

So there is a TSB on the BLIS sensors and they are ordering them for a Monday delivery. Am I strange, I said I'll pickup my car so I can have it over the weekend and I'll just bring it back Monday or Tuesday if they confirm the parts arrive there as scheduled. I suppose if they loaned me the S4 I'd of told them I'll just pick it up when they are done.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    stickguy said:

I'll come along and do the camera.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

More the merrier!

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Hit 20K on the way home tonight. Got Golf 12/12/14 and today being 7/15/16, that makes it 20 months. So I'm averaging 1K/month now, down from the 1.3K I was doing when I first got it. I know we've been using the Audi more on the weekends and I've been hanging around the house on my n/s days so probably why the drop. If I had known this when I bought, probably could've leased for my first VW product, something my mechanic advised. But when leasing, wonder if one really thinks of it as theirs and the idea of going over the mileage would've made me crazy. I just like to own my vehicle I guess so probably better that I did buy.

I guess if I still had that gig in West Palm, my mileage would've been so much more! And who knows, I might still go back there one day as I kind of left the door open a crack. Stopped by the local Hertz HLE store this week and again, left my name and number and spoke with the manager about a possible transfer. And after today's day from hell, wish I could go next week. Out of three drivers scheduled for Friday, I was the only one who showed and we were super busy. Sent me down to Miami Lakes at 5:15 so of course I couldn't get back for closing at 6. Had to leave my chase at another store and got back to my store at 6:45 as it was. Of course, everyone had gone home so they had me leave the two sets of keys in an unlocked vehicle which I locked up after wards. They will retrieve the keys in the morning since drivers don't work Saturdays anymore. Like I said...the day from hell!!!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Mazel-Tov on 20K in 20 months!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I'm going to load up the car and head out after work today. Stamford, CT to Harrisonburg, VA today. On to Charlottle, NC tomorrow and then to Disney on Tuesday. I'll try to check in if I can! One thing's for sure, I'll be too busy to do any kind of car shopping B)

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,321
    nyccarguy said:
    I'm going to load up the car and head out after work today. Stamford, CT to Harrisonburg, VA today. On to Charlottle, NC tomorrow and then to Disney on Tuesday. I'll try to check in if I can! One thing's for sure, I'll be too busy to do any kind of car shopping B)
    Safe trip and enjoy the time with your family!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    Yes, drive safely and enjoy my state! Haven't been up to Orlando in awhile now, miss doing those day trips of a couple years ago. Not sure if those companies I worked for are still doing much business as haven't seen any of them in a few months now. Summers were always slow so will see what happens come the winter. Could see doing a run or two each week while still going to Hertz on my three day/week schedule.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    edited July 2016
    Enjoy your road trip NYC! We are spending this weekend getting things together for our week at the shore starting next Saturday.

On the car front, been seeing lots of the new baby Benz. I can see why it's hot. Good looking car!

We have managed to warp the rotors in our '15 Enclave in only 18k miles. A trip to the dealer is in order, but I think I'm gonna wait until after vacation. I've had rotors cut under warranty before but that was a Toyota, not sure how GM will handle it.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    tjc78 said:

On the car front, been seeing lots of the new baby Benz. I can see why it's hot. Good looking car!

The CLA? I refer to it as "the Mercedes Jetta." Similar dimensions and specs, plus $10,000 or so for the coveted three-pointed star.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    There are some decent looking lease deals on the CLA right now, I suspect that's helping sales. It's kind of a cynical exercise, but if it lures people into the brand, it is working.
    Not too fond of the CLA, but the new C-Class is nice.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

nyccarguy said:
    Have a wonderful trip!

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    nyccarguy said:

Have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 239,550
    @nyccarguy enjoy the road trip. 

Finally had a brief conversation with the wife about my next ride. 

She thinks I should lease again, to keep the cost down. 

She mentioned that if she liked the car enough, she could drive it from time to time as well. 

Her one requirement  is that it not have cloth seats. 

And, that Hyundai would probably be the path of least resistance. 

So, I am now looking at the Elantra Limited as well as the Sonata Limited. 

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Hello from Chambersburg, PA

that pilot must be riding low. And I see you take 81 down.

how does that basket work? I was thinking of getting one for the RDX, since I have a trailer hitch I never use.

edited July 2016
    here is an oddball. Have not seen one of these lately, but I always liked them.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-2006-mazda-mazdaspeed6-used-15237912.html

and an oldie for Fintail. someone took a huge bath spending a fortune rebuilding this mechanically. reading the summary was a treat.

http://www.eimports4less.com/detail-1978-mercedes~benz-300cd_diesel_coupe-used-15076101.html

I liked those Mazdaspeed6's when they came out - it'd be interesting to see how they held up over the last 10 years.

Saw one of those Fiat "Miatas" at the Alfa Romeo/Fiat lot today.

Gotta say, I didn't like what they did to the look from the pictures...and nothing about seeing it in person made me change my mind.

I'll take it in the Mazda form, thank you - weaker engine and all.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    That coupe looks like a fair deal, with all the work done, and the coupes have a fanbase. Too bad it isn't a turbo, but it would be adequate. You certainly couldn't make a ragged 2K one look like that for the money. I'd want to check everywhere for rust, given the locale, but if it checks out, someone might get a decent old car.

Looks like a couple bodies in the bag on the back of that Pilot ;)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    edited July 2016
    As many here know, I have an interest in the 2017 Fusion Sport.
    I looked at a Titanium on the lot at the closest dealer to where I live today -
    and crossed them off my list of possible places I would consider buying.
    Because of this:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/crop dealer added STUFF 2017 fusion at Gwinnett Mall Ford IMG_2257_zps69jt3zsm.jpg.html

$849 ??? Really...
    - Ray
    [[ Grump ]]
    2022 X3 M40i
    outside of the dealer, what did you think of the car?

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A few dealers here want $1,495 for the "Desert Protection Package". And it doesn't even include a snake bite kit.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I stopped in to look at the wheels on this particular car =
    optional 19", but NOT the '19” Premium Painted Tarnished Dark' that
    come standard on the Sport.
    No dealer near me has a Sport on the lot yet.
    I am reserving any judgement on the car until I can drive a Sport.
    - Ray
    ... and read a few professional reviews ...
    2022 X3 M40i
    Posted this on the "TDI' forum too, but...

By the way, for anyone who needs a carfax run, I purchased a carfax for my Jetta wagon before I bought it, just to make sure it was all good, and since it was only $10 more, I bought the "package" of five carfaxes within 60 days.

So if there's a vehicle that doesn't have a carfax available and you need one, let me know.

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    A few dealers here want $1,495 for the "Desert Protection Package". And it doesn't even include a snake bite kit.

Besides, you already know how to take care of yourself in the desert, huh?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    rayainsw said:

Because of this:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/crop dealer added STUFF 2017 fusion at Gwinnett Mall Ford IMG_2257_zps69jt3zsm.jpg.html

$849 ??? Really...
    - Ray
    [[ Grump ]]

Those dealer added packages drive me up the wall as well- I won't patronize dealers that use them either.
    That said, I'd rather have your R/T than the Fusion.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I do like the CLA and could see one as my next vehicle, not too big either so should pass the garage test. But part of me thinks going back to the simple "cheap to keep" of a Honda/Hyundai/Kia is the way to go. Just will have to see what happens once the Golf hits that four year mark, after 60K on the clock, will see how things really shake out. Don't want a drama queen with things happening every week or two.
    On the sway bar front, have decided that doing nothing is the best course of action. Car drives fine and gets me to and from where I need to be so why try and tweak things that are perfectly fine now. Have become a bit more conservative, if you will, on spending money just to spend it after wife and I had the "futures talk". Am at the point where I can see an ending point to my working life and that date is within the next year or two. Think by early 2018, I want to retire again, this time for good. So spending less now and up until then is essential to achieving this goal. And the $350 to $400 cost of the sway bar is a want and definitely not a need. So as of now, it's out the window. Right now, am still very happy with my d d, so best to leave well enough alone.

breld said:

Posted this on the "TDI' forum too, but...

By the way, for anyone who needs a carfax run, I purchased a carfax for my Jetta wagon before I bought it, just to make sure it was all good, and since it was only $10 more, I bought the "package" of five carfaxes within 60 days.

I think we all assumed you had a lifetime subscription.
    You would think, huh? :)

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

rayainsw said:

Because of this:

$849 ??? Really...
    - Ray
    [[ Grump ]]

Those dealer added packages drive me up the wall as well- I won't patronize dealers that use them either.
    I recently encountered one that would top yours, big time. $2,995 for wheel locks, tinted windows, and "interior protection package". This was on a used car, was not posted on the car itself. The used car department at a big Nissan dealer. I walked, after telling them (in a very loud voice) "I don't do business with crooks!" And I have a very loud voice, they probably heard me in the next building over.

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    nyccarguy said:

Hello from Chambersburg, PA

Honda of Westport! My folks bought a couple of Accords there back in the '80s. Same salesman, long tenure there, I'll never remember his name... Actually, they moved to condos just down the road from the dealer. Condos were formerly a mini golf course and driving range. Not to mention Westport (Bowling) Lanes formerly next door.

You can car shop at the GM Test Track at Disney!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

too many miles for me, but love the color combo on this one.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-bmw-x5-xdrive35i_premium-used-15269627.html

I am also oddly attracted to this one, but can't deal with 130K on it!

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2008-cadillac-cts-used-15252062.html

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,229
    130K on the CTS would be a no go for me. If it is like the 2008 premium GM product with AWD that I had with 130k on it, it has one foot in the grave and will soon need frequent expensive repairs.
    I took this pic as I was leaving work on Friday.  I don't know know what we'd do if our workplace didn't have a garage with extra spaces, particularly with our moving to the new house with "only" a 2 car garage!  

Honestly, this may sound like blasphemy, but maybe y'all should just pare the fleet down to three vehicles for awhile with the new house and college tuition. Sometimes too much is just, well...too much! Parking three vehicles at work is really a bit crazy if you really think about it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love an extra vehicle in our fleet but it's just not practical for us. You've got to admit, the last few years y'all have bought a lot of iron, most of which is no longer around and looking at the costs, maybe y'all came out close to even or even made a few bucks, just don't know. But times changes, situations change and sometimes just purging a bit can give one a new perspective.
    We're at the point here where we're looking to get our ducks in a row for our retirement years and getting rid of "stuff" has become a priority now. Simplifying our lives and getting rid of stuff we no longer use, want or need. Seems silly to pack and move lots of stuff just because we have it. Sometimes starting with less pocessions is a good thing. Your move should help you clean out the old and not bring it into the new, trust me, new stuff will appear quickly!
    Just a thought here. And think of the amount of extra funds you can put to retirement and future toys!!

Oh I'm definitely selling either the S4 or X5 next month, and perhaps both, in an effort to pare down and "reset."

And when the Kia lease is up, may very well make the family hauler my main daily driver (like with some SUV or something).

But...enjoying the fleet while we have it.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,920
    edited July 2016
    breld said:

Oh I'm definitely selling either the S4 or X5 next month, and perhaps both, in an effort to pare down and "reset."

And when the Kia lease is up, may very well make the family hauler my main daily driver (like with some SUV or something).

But...enjoying the fleet while we have it.

I used to switch cars frequently and rarely kept a car beyond 12-18 months. I enjoy the spontaneity and experiencing different cars. With the exception of a Pontiac that I drove during my college and early career years I am almost at a record 2 3/4 years of ownership on the Accord and 2 1/2 years on the Pilot. I am yearning for a change but have promised my wife I would cool my heels. My daughter will start driving next year and my wife says we need to get her a car, or for me to give her the Accord and for me to buy something fun, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. She gets attached to her car and would drive it until it will drive no further if I'd let her. What is your vehicle count so far? I know mine is 40+, may be close to 50. I will need to find my list. Enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    rayainsw said:

Because of this:

$849 ??? Really...
    - Ray
    [[ Grump ]]

Our local Honda/Acura dealer is even worse, they just call it "Dealer Handling and Marketing" and charge $1,495.

My mother-in-law is interested in a new Accord or Civic but no way I'd even deal with them if they're starting with those tactics. It's worth the hour or so drive to other places.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    edited July 2016
    A few people have mentioned that VW and Audi are advertising used diesels for sale. Apparently the used diesels they sell are not eligible for the buyback etc., but if you buy from a non Audi/VW dealer or an individual, they are eligible.

What if someone, say a wife, son, or daughter bought one of these used diesels from an Audi/VW dealer in her name only, and then sold it to someone else, maybe a relative. Would this vehicle then be eligible for the buyback, or is this vehicle not eligible forever. Just thinking out loud. :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

@kyfdx told me the other day that the buyback is tied to the VIN. So the strawman idea likely won't work.