Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,540
    From what I read, it appears they may be loosing their edge as a pure driver's car.

That may change if what I recently read is true. One of the mags is reporting that the next M3/M4 will be under 3300 lbs. That would be a large leap in the right direction!

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    edited April 2013
    Took the ION in for a brake service ... after 86,800 miles, they were finally starting to make some noise.

The verdict .. front outside pads were 75% worn. Front inside pads were 98% worn. Rear shoes were only 50% worn.

So ... replaced the front pads all the way around. OEM were ceramic, so I replaced them with ceramic. Brake fluid flush. Rear shoes were adjusted.

$175 out the door.

Wonder if I'll get another 85K out of this set? :)

Next door was the auto parts store I've been using. New battery for the wife's CX-7 will run $123 plus tax. No install fee. 3 year warranty, 5 year pro-rated warranty. I'll do that soon.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Wanted an I6 BMW without electric steering.
    [ Check ]

This would suggest proof-positive that you can't duplicate the same level of feel and feedback as hydraulic assist rack steering, using electric..cuz if they could, I'm quite sure BMW would use it to up their mileage ratings and lower weight. I suspect an electric assist costs less too. I commend BMW for sticking to their guns (in that respect..I still spit upon their notion of not giving a guy an oil dipstick..and the run-flats of course) in putting the emphasis on the car's handling and feel.. without compromise to their loyal customers, most of whom are loyal because of the car's handling and feel. Good them, and good on you for having it on your appreciation list.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Good to know that if they must use run-flats, that they have massaged the harshness out of the equation. It indicates that they are not willing to settle.

I still suspect that those who see not having to change a flat at the most inopportune time (or female safety concerns) are an absolute miniscule percentage of owners compared to the male counterparts who would instead welcome the world of non run-flat rubber being optional to how they tread their car. Sure, they can accomplish that with exten$ive aftermkt dollar$, but it gets complicated because BMW also designs the suspension to do what it does using run-flats, so it gets REALLY complicated and expen$ive to replace them with conventional puncture-prone tires...the way God intended a tubeless tire to be..haha. But hey...I see a use for them on a forklift in a glass recycling plant..lol
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    edited April 2013
    Sounds reasonable, was that dealer service or an Indy mechanic?

Edit: iPad spell check puts the caps on Indy, that's funny so I'll leave it.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Neither - it's a chain of stores that focus on brakes. Never tried them before, but thought it was good value too.

No more noise.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,782
    Good to hear you dig the electric power steering. While I haven't driven an F30, I have driven an F10 535 & 550 that I thought were too soft & isolated. I also had a chance to sample BMW's new N20 Turbo 4 cyl in an X1 (with hydraulic power steering). Despite the fact that it isn't that smooth, I LOVED the power. I've driven an E90 335xi & E60 535xi, so I'm sure the F30 335i is seriously quick, especially coupled with the 8 speed auto.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

Lifeless electric power steering is one of the reasons I ditched my perfectly good 2010 Acura TSX.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,704
    Drove one of these puppy's yesterday for Enterprise and what a sweet vehicle it is! Had just over 30k on the clock and was super comfortable with a flawless interior...a lot of car for the money though a bit thirsty. Bet it has a 6 under the hood and takes high test but was a blast to drive. Nice blue over stone, the perfect combo for this rig. Compared to the c Class I drove last year, this seems to be a sportier vehicle actually and not as buttoned down as the MB. I do understand now why Infiniti does so well in South Florida as I see them every where just like BMW's and MB's...every where. Folks sure love their vehicles down here just like California. To be sure, I'd love to have that G37 parked in my garage anytime!

The Smitten Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

The G37 is powered by a 3.7 L 326 hp V6. The car is a serious road rocket. I'm surprised you of all people like the sporty nature of the Infiniti's ride.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,182
    "Nice blue over stone..."

YES! Dark blue with an ivory interior is my favorite color combination. Oddly, I've only had one car with that combo--the 2007 Audi A4. (All Jetta GLIs come with a black interior and the exterior colors on that trim level are very limited--black, silver, white, bright red, and charcoal.)
    It was a lot of fun to drive actually but hey, when I'm not paying for the gas or tolls, any car is fun to drive! Figured there was a 6 under there as the power was so instantanious it wasn't even funny! A nice driver to be sure!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

How do you pay tolls? Do they give you a toll reader you install temporarily?

Or do you pay and get reimbursed later?

I'd think the former would save a lot of time, given the amount of driving.

G37 is popular up here in the DC area, too. They're all over the place. Q50 is coming soon to replace it, so maybe folks here will pick up some clearance priced leases soon? :shades:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,013
    The G seems to have been in clearance leases around here for eons. No doubt a bargain, if not a bit old these days.

I think for FL rental cars, the tolls are based on the plate, and the rental car company deals with them.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,689
    The other competitors were just "meh" compared to the BMW, I would say the Audi was pretty close. Caddy styling just didn't do it for me.

Congratulations- I love the Alpinweiss/Koralrot color combo. And ditto on the Cadillac styling- I call it "Origami Snowplow."

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I think for FL rental cars, the tolls are based on the plate, and the rental car company deals with them

Not when I was there last.

The G has always been a pretty good lease, especially since I believe Infiniti still lets you "buy down" the MF.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,013
    When I rented in FL last year, I added the toll pass (expensive at like $5.50/day, but I figured the bother would be more). No sticker or transponder on my car, agency said it simply used the registration.

One should be able to lease a nice late run G37 for around $300-350 very easily.
    They've had crazy, clearance, fire sale leases on the G37s for a little over a year now. Trunk money, 18 month, & 24 month leases. They know the product is long over due for a remodel & are keeping current customers in Infiniti driver seats with lower payments than their current or expiring 36 - 39 month leases. In the next year + or so, there will be A TON of these G37s on the market with low miles because Infiniti will most likely have generous pull ahead programs.

Perhaps the problem is competitors have cheaper models to lure customers in.

BMW has a 1 series.

Lexus has the CT200h.

I think Infiniti dropped the G25, so the G37 is entry level for them, while competitors are usually the 2nd model in a hierarchy.

To be honest I see leases in the $300-350 range for just about anything, though it might take a bigger down payment.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,940
    edited April 2013
    I think for FL rental cars, the tolls are based on the plate, and the rental car company deals with them.

Yes, there are two ways you can pay tolls here on the toll roads here in Florida:

*A transponder (there are several kinds)
    *License Plate (or tag as we call them)

There is a flat fee charge, per month, if you go through a toll booth area and don't have a transponder. The camera takes a picture of the rear plate, checks the owner, then bills the owner once each month. They charge $2.50 a month, I believe, for the cost of handling and postage.

I was a Sales Manager at a large Infiniti Store here in Florida about 6 years ago. The hottest selling cars were the G35/37 coupes, sedans, and the new convertible. They are high horsepower engines, but their fuel economy is horrendous, considering what is out there in 6 cylinder engines with 300+ horsepower. Most of those 6 cylinder engines are getting 22/33 (city/highway) mpg.

As I remember, they did not lease as well as the M35/37's. The M held it's value and therefore had higher residuals. The G sedans did not have good residuals, but the coupes did.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

Hey Mike! Welcome here. I'm glad to see you didn't quit edmunds for good. You are an awesome guy with some fantastic stories (as well as a chronic car buyer).

edited April 2013
    Hey Mike! Welcome here. I'm glad to see you didn't quit edmunds for good. You are an awesome guy with some fantastic stories (as well as a chronic car buyer).

No, I did not quit Edmunds, just SFTSFL forum - had to get away from one of the posters there who has, on several occasions, attacked my verosity. Very uncouth individual.

Yes, I am certainly a chronic car buyer - at least one new car a year, and often 2 a year.

But thanks nyccarguy for the kind words. Yes, I monitor 3 other forums now that I do not monitor Sales Stories.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

You are an awesome guy with some fantastic stories (as well as a chronic car buyer)...

Speaking of "chronic car buyer", I just found out that the new 2014 Mercedes E350 Sport Sedan I ordered in February is scheduled to arrive at the port on April 19th, next Friday. That should put it at the dealership by April 26th. But I am seriously considering waiting until May 3rd with hopes of some special incentives for loyalty.

Getting antsy about its arrival - can't wait to see it.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

You are correct...we just go through the sunpass lanes and the rental company's pay the tolls. The job is absolutely awesome and I enjoy it more every day! Hoping to get into a C Class very soon!

I pass by your place every night as I take Lyons Rd. from Atlantic up to Wiles and west on Wiles over past 441. We live two lights west of Wiles and across from the Super Target there on the corner. We have a meeting place down by the Fort Lauderdale airport where the chase vehicle picks us all up. That G37 I had to drive last week was an awesome vehicle but you are right, the mileage was pretty lame but it had gobs of power when I pressed the accelerator...just pulled so strongly! Figured you worked at the Infiniti dealer on Sample Rd. there. See you are going to get the new E Class, sounds really nice! Am keeping my Civic for another few years but almost traded for a Nissan Rogue on Monday at Autonation Ford in Margate but the price was a bit too high and the color wasn't exactly great, it was that awful red Nissan has. I do like the Rogue and the Hyundai Tuscon and will probably purchase one of those in 2016 as I plan to keep my '06 Civic for 10 years as it is driving so flawlessly...but I do maintain it very well. And like you, we purchase our rides for cash unless there is o% financing or a very low rate...we hate any kind of payments truth be told...and we own no one right now, a great feeling! :)

The Coral Springs Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

So you do realize now Mike that you have to properly introduce yourself to the forum members who don't know you.

"Hi, my name is Mike, & I'm a chronic car buyer."

Then you will get immediate CCBA "cred" by telling everyone about the years of E350s of recent vintage you've owned (with the GS 350 sprinkled in).

Also, every time someone on the CCBA board buys a car, we "punch their card." We've got detailed notes on how many cards were "punched" last year, a pool on how many cards will be "punched" this year, and of course detailed notes on 2013 "punches."

So like I said before, welcome here! This is a very laid back & awesome group. There is some overlap from "Frontlines," but only the cool kids;)

Yes, this group of folks is more laid back than others on Edmunds and we love to hear stories of what folks are buying. No crazy folks here either and a pretty close knit group...think you'll fit in nicely!

Your neighbor,

edited April 2013
    So you do realize now Mike that you have to properly introduce yourself to the forum members who don't know you.

OK, here goes nothing.

"Hi, I'm Mike, and i am certainly a chronic car buyer!"

I am a retired school principal and private school headmaster. When I moved to Florida to care for my aging Dad, I went to work as a car salesman and sold over 1000 Lexus vehicles. I then became a sales manager at an Infiniti dealership and finally retired in 2008.

I do not lease cars, I buy them. I've purchased, on average, 2 new cars a year since 1965. I've owned Corvettes, BMW's, Fords, Mercury's, Lincoln's, Oldsmobiles, Buick's, Cadillac's, Pontiac's, and 2 GTO's, a Triumph TR6, a Lancia Beta, a 300ZX, a Charger R/T, an MGBGT, and have bought several Lexus's. In the past several years. I bought a 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2-2008 BMW's, and a 2008, 2009, 2010, 2-2011, a 2012 and a 2013 E Class Mercedes with a 2013 Lexus GS350 in between.

So I guess you could consider me a chronic car buyer. It doesn't take much to get me to sign on the bottom line for a new car. As mentioned in my previous post, I have a new 2014 E Class Mercedes Sport Sedan on its way from Germany. As we speak.

There you have it - and hi to everyone!

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

I pass by your place every night as I take Lyons Rd. from Atlantic up to Wiles and west on Wiles over past 441. We live two lights west of Wiles and across from the...

Yes, that is correct. Before you buy a new car, let me know as I have an "in" in many, many dealership organizations down here. I can save you a great deal on a new car - especially AutoNation.

Just let me know and we'll meet somewhere close.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,318
    Wow Mike, where have you been? You should have been a founding member in here. :shades: Welcome.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.