Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Probably trying to alert you that a part fell off, or it was on fire.

I did that this morning! It was a Nissan, however. I was driving behind a Sentra and started to smell burning rubber. Was not sure where it was coming from for about a mile or so and thought maybe it was even my own car. Finally saw visible smoke coming from the right-rear tire of the Sentra. The tire was completely flat and she was driving on it. I pulled up to her right at the next light, honking my horn. She knew it was flat and was trying to get to a gas station. After I told her it was seconds away from a fire, she pulled over. She had an untouched spare and the tools, so I changed it out for her. The tire she was riding on was SHREDDED and smoking quite badly.
    Quite decent of you, sir!

I never quite understand why people do that sort of thing, particularly when a tire is otherwise serviceable. Sometimes that "short drive to the garage" can cost a lot more than one might anticipate.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    andres3 said:

kyfdx said:

Weird thing last night. I was driving the Audi through town, and a guy in another Audi waved at me. Didn't know that Audi guys did that. lol

It happens; kinda like a club similar to what bikers do when they salute each other going by.
    Indeed! I do this when driving my '69 C20. I always seem to see one or two others out on the roads when I'm driving it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Yep, I often get and give short waves with other old cars when I am out in mine. It seems in the past it was mostly from old Euro cars, but now it's with any old car, or sometimes even more modern ones.
    xwesx said:

Indeed! I do this when driving my '69 C20. I always seem to see one or two others out on the roads when I'm driving it.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I imagine the "wave" had much more to do with an A3 hatchback thing than a general Audi thing. Seems to me those have a nice following.

Of all the nice cars I've been fortunate enough to drive, I think I got the most attention from the $5,000 318ti.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    I am mildly considering - very mildly - dropping into the Honda dealership some time and inquiring about what it would take to get on a list for the Civic Type R. It's definitely over the top, looks every bit the part of a Fast & Furious car, and wouldn't necessarily be practical as a daily driver. Not to mention I wouldn't exactly welcome the attention it would get. But...as a fan of the sportier days of Honda, I have this urge to own one.

Assuming the dealership here that @michaell and I like would agree to MSRP and no markup, I would think it would be an overall cheap ownership.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

I did that this morning! It was a Nissan, however. I was driving behind a Sentra and started to smell burning rubber. Was not sure where it was coming from for about a mile or so and thought maybe it was even my own car. Finally saw visible smoke coming from the right-rear tire of the Sentra. The tire was completely flat and she was driving on it. I pulled up to her right at the next light, honking my horn. She knew it was flat and was trying to get to a gas station. After I told her it was seconds away from a fire, she pulled over. She had an untouched spare and the tools, so I changed it out for her. The tire she was riding on was SHREDDED and smoking quite badly.
    That was very awesome of you.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

My friends have been coming up with names and license plates for the A3 that they want me to get. Top contenders are:
    - DESL DTH
    - FU O3
    - DAS PLTR

What, no CHEATER ? ;)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,305
    breld said:

I am mildly considering - very mildly - dropping into the Honda dealership some time and inquiring about what it would take to get on a list for the Civic Type R. It's definitely over the top, looks every bit the part of a Fast & Furious car, and wouldn't necessarily be practical as a daily driver. Not to mention I wouldn't exactly welcome the attention it would get. But...as a fan of the sportier days of Honda, I have this urge to own one.

Assuming the dealership here that @michaell and I like would agree to MSRP and no markup, I would think it would be an overall cheap ownership.

Oh, dear.

You think Schomp would let a Type R go at MSRP? How many do you think they would be allotted? Can't be very many.

This is the AWD 300-hp version, right?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I thought it was still FWD.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    tifighter said:

I thought it was still FWD.

Saw a YouTube video the other day where a guy lapped the type R with a 20 year old M3 and the Type R won.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    Correct - it's still FWD, so not necessarily as appealing as a WRX/STI, Golf R or Focus RS. But I think it will be priced accordingly.

I do suspect Schomp may agree to MSRP on a Type R - not that I'd be shocked if there was a mark-up, but it just seems contrary to their approach as a dealership. It's worth asking :) .

Again, I imagine it would hold its value incredibly well.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Matthew should hit later on this evening. We are prepared as much as can be with flashlights, batteries, portable radio, candles and food & water. New garage door opener installed yesterday, a Genie belt drive, and the Golf and A3 are secured inside with trash cans. Accent is parked parallel to garage like all the neighbors have done. We have 3/4 in each vehicle as folks were lined up for miles yesterday and we felt we had more than enough. No more work this week and Matt should hit around West Palm Beach or north of there. Oldest is hunkered down at her place in West Palm but think she might come down within the hour as she's a bit scared to be alone.
    Light rain and mild winds now but things will get worse by evening. By 8 am tomorow, should be cleared out from here and pray we don't loose power. Phones and chargers all at 100% now and cooking some food now just in case power stops, have sandwiches for later tonight with snacks and sodas, bottled water. And now...we wait! Wish us luck and to those in the path above us, stay safe and indoors.
    Thinking I should of made the others leave with me yesterday but was out voted on this. Hopefully, we won't regret it!

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Best wishes @sandman_6472. Sounds like you're pretty well prepared.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    Kind of a slow day today, so I went down the street and tried on a 2013 SRX. It is the new frontrunner. I'm still hoping I find something with a nicer seat, though. This one had good adjustment and was not as firm as my CTS was, but they designed it a little weird where the thigh extension includes about the front third of the seat bottom, so when I extended it, I could feel the front edge of the back 2/3rd of the seat bottom digging into my thighs a bit. It could make me insane on a long drive.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362

Picked up the car this afternoon and brought it home. Took it out tonight and first gear fell on its face, lost power, and it slipped before picking up in second. I'm livid. 

Third visit this year for the power loss issue, second visit for the transmission slipping. Plus the whole subframe thing just makes me nervous. 

Opening a case with VW. The power loss issue alone qualifies as a "serious safety defect" and after two attempts at diagnosis OR repair,, it qualifies under WA lemon law...

I have no patience with dealers who do a half-@ssed job on warranty diagnosis and repairs. It's inexcusable.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    edited October 2016
    qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Several years ago I was filling up my car and I noticed a lady was having trouble airing up her tires. She had several young kids in the car so I retrieved my tire gauge from the glove box and offered to help. I checked the first tire and found it had been inflated to 80 psi.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    qbrozen said:
    Oh great. You butted in and now she's going to be late for something!
  • Options
    thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,217
    qbrozen said:
    Good on ya.  Storing up some good karma is always cool.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    Hmm you learn something every day. I thought GTIs still had a "W" VIN, but I guess not. Maybe the diesels do/did?
    andres3 said:

Wouldn't it be more like revenge for "Manifest Destiny" by the Mexicans that built and assembled his GTI?

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    My VIN starts 3VW
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    fintail said:

Hmm you learn something every day. I thought GTIs still had a "W" VIN, but I guess not. Maybe the diesels do/did?

andres3 said:

Wouldn't it be more like revenge for "Manifest Destiny" by the Mexicans that built and assembled his GTI?

The Golf R VIN's start with a W signifying German build and assembly. I think all the other Golfs including the GTI are made in Mexico (including Sportwagen TDI's). The Golf "R" is the version of GTI I'd get for my money. Of course, I know just because it was made in Germany doesn't guarantee I'll never need the warranty, but I think it is worth some peace of mind.

The experience noted on this forum is scaring me out of any GTI thoughts....
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

Several years ago I was filling up my car and I noticed a lady was having trouble airing up her tires. She had several young kids in the car so I retrieved my tire gauge from the glove box and offered to help. I checked the first tire and found it had been inflated to 80 psi.
    That's funny. Small world. I think I must of helped the same woman :smile::open_mouth::worried:

I was noticing her having trouble with filling up her tires with air, and it wasn't 80 psi, that would have scared me into an instant run away from pending explosion and injury or death. It was more like 60 PSI, which still worried the heck out of me. I explained to her that inside the door sides you can see stamps with recommended pressures; usually around 35 PSI. I told her you never want to fill your tires to 60 as that is dangerous.
  • Options

Matthew should hit later on this evening. We are prepared as much as can be with flashlights, batteries, portable radio, candles and food & water. New garage door opener installed yesterday, a Genie belt drive, and the Golf and A3 are secured inside with trash cans. Accent is parked parallel to garage like all the neighbors have done. We have 3/4 in each vehicle as folks were lined up for miles yesterday and we felt we had more than enough. No more work this week and Matt should hit around West Palm Beach or north of there. Oldest is hunkered down at her place in West Palm but think she might come down within the hour as she's a bit scared to be alone.
    Light rain and mild winds now but things will get worse by evening. By 8 am tomorow, should be cleared out from here and pray we don't loose power. Phones and chargers all at 100% now and cooking some food now just in case power stops, have sandwiches for later tonight with snacks and sodas, bottled water. And now...we wait! Wish us luck and to those in the path above us, stay safe and indoors.
    Thinking I should of made the others leave with me yesterday but was out voted on this. Hopefully, we won't regret it!

Speaking of Hurricanes, what brand of generators do people in FL like and trust the most? Does Honda still make them?
  • Options
    Another update from VW:
    I'm expecting a call from a Regional Care Manager (RCM) tomorrow to discuss. The dealer states the car is driving within spec, but they believe it may be a traction control issue.

They've opened up a ticket in VTA to communicate with corporate engineers, as well.

• Options

My VIN starts 3VW

So does my Jetta VIN....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    Q, what vintage SRX? I do like those. never drove one though. My local guy has a nice looking 13 and a 14 too, but might be over budget (and the 14 is a FWD)

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I toured Audi's production line in Ingolstadt a few years ago. That day, they were running A4 Avants. They told me line workers were allowed 0.5 liters of beer every two hours. I'm not making this up. "This is Bavaria, after all," they said.

Knowing that, I wonder if German assembly is the pinnacle of VAG quality. Besides, the robots are likely running the same software worldwide anyhow.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    That's 17 ounces every two hours. My body weight is pretty low, it might or might not make me legally intoxocated by the end of the day, but I guarantee I'd have a good time doing assembly in that condition. And I probably wouldn't be safe to operate heavy machinery. 

In other news, it looks like either the local Volvo dealer or the local BMW dealer is planning on building  a new facility. 
  • Options
    tifighter said:

I toured Audi's production line in Ingolstadt a few years ago. That day, they were running A4 Avants. They told me line workers were allowed 0.5 liters of beer every two hours. I'm not making this up. "This is Bavaria, after all," they said.

Knowing that, I wonder if German assembly is the pinnacle of VAG quality. Besides, the robots are likely running the same software worldwide anyhow.

How much Cerveza does Mexico allow per 2 hours? :smile:
  • Options
    stickguy said:
    Q, what vintage SRX? I do like those. never drove one though. My local guy has a nice looking 13 and a 14 too, but might be over budget (and the 14 is a FWD)
    '13. That's when they started using the 300hp 3.6.

salesman didn't know how the packages worked, so I had to do some reading. Turns out I'd want at least the Performance version, if not Premium. What I drove was a luxury model with Nav. Performance adds adaptive sport suspension, while premium adds cooled seats and heated rear seats.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    rny421 said:

henryn said:

On that 2011 Lincoln MKX, beware of the very early versions of the Ford Sync / MyTouch system. Very, very buggy.

I have a 2011 Edge Limited AWD with the MyFordTouch. Knock on wood, 76k miles and no problems to date. It seems to eat tires and brakes, but it's very quiet, rides nice, is pretty quick, and I love the pano roof. I paid around $30k for it in 2012 with 20k miles. I will probably end up getting another Edge in a few years. I didn't think I would ever get the same car twice, but I have been very happy with it. I'll check out a Jeep GC again, but the 2012 I drove didn't seem to ride as nice, or wasn't nearly as quiet as the Edge. Maybe they've improved though.

The MyFordTouch was buggy in the beginning, and it is a little slow to respond, but I have gotten used to it, and am happy with it. They have also done a series of updates to it such that I haven't had any issues with it freezing or crashing in years.
    You are more patient with it than Bill Ford or Mark Fields, apparently:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2016/10/06/court-documents-myford-touch-the-polished-turd-that-once-stranded-bill-ford/#2e8b92762c34

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Nice looking Lincoln.

this is the SRX I found. I had no clue about the packages, but it is listed as a Luxury. black over black, not for me.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-cadillac-srx-awd_4dr_luxury_collection-used-15479227.html

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Hurricane warning has been lifted as of 8 p m, we are very relieved and extremely lucky as it has increased it's winds to 140 mph, a very dangerous storm! Not sure about work tomorrow, no one has texted me and just not going to pursue the matter. Might go in in the afternoon but would be nice to have a long weekend.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    stickguy said:

Nice looking Lincoln.

this is the SRX I found. I had no clue about the packages, but it is listed as a Luxury. black over black, not for me.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-2013-cadillac-srx-awd_4dr_luxury_collection-used-15479227.html

Not to mention that whoever put those awful stick-on platichrome window surrounds needs a lecture, if not a beating.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    I like how on all ford CPO cars you can view the original window sticker

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    Looking at the pictures of the MKX and the SRX, the MKX appears to have much bigger, much more intrusive center console. I would have to go and sit in each to really determine.
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • Options
    andres3 said:

qbrozen said:

stickguy said:

That's funny. Small world. I think I must of helped the same woman :smile::open_mouth::worried:

I was noticing her having trouble with filling up her tires with air, and it wasn't 80 psi, that would have scared me into an instant run away from pending explosion and injury or death. It was more like 60 PSI, which still worried the heck out of me. I explained to her that inside the door sides you can see stamps with recommended pressures; usually around 35 PSI. I told her you never want to fill your tires to 60 as that is dangerous.
    Must have been a fun ride on cobblestones.
  • Options
    andres3 said:

tifighter said:

How much Cerveza does Mexico allow per 2 hours? :smile:
    At least the Germans have GOOD beer!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Hard to see from the bad pic, but I haven't seen one of these in a long time!

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Actual instrumented test of the 2017 Fusion Sport [ finally ]

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/tested-2017-ford-fusion-sport-review
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Dealers calling now, letting me know that the 2017 A3s are on the lot. Will heed to stop and browse

• Options
    breld said:

Hard to see from the bad pic, but I haven't seen one of these in a long time!

928 S4?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Awesome car!
  • Options
    rayainsw said:

Actual instrumented test of the 2017 Fusion Sport [ finally ]

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/tested-2017-ford-fusion-sport-review

Quick, but quite the porker. Just get a 320iX, a level 1 chip, and be about as fast with much better dynamics!

• Options
    Took my lunch break today to go check out that MKX. Turns out the dealer is right across from a Volvo shop, so I also drove an XC60.

Volvo: Great seats, of course. Very comfy and quiet and familiar. I felt instantly at home. Like I just put on my favorite sweatshirt. What surprised me, though, was the power. Wow. Blew everything else away in how it drove, how it responded, how it flowed. It is the first of my list I have driven that made me say "I love this car."

MKX: Not terribly comfortable. My knee was pressing against the center stack the whole time and the dead pedal is about 4 inches too high. On the road, it felt downright ponderous. Just huge and heavy and unwilling to do what you want it to do. I expressed all of this to the salesman and he started talking about the MKC. He told me something I did not know: it can be had with the 2.3T. Huh. Ok. Sure. Why not?

MKC: Oddly enough, my legs fit. Huh? But the seat bottom did not feel comfy, and I was sitting next to the B pillar, leaving me no place to rest my left arm. Power was just adequate, really. The turbo is flat under 4k and above 6k. Manually shifting helps a tad but the trans is very slow to respond to inputs and slurs the shifts annoyingly. There is a lot to like about it for $40k, but not enough to get the Volvo off my mind.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    @breld - 968 Coupe? Very nice! I dig the color too!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

@breld - 968 Coupe? Very nice! I dig the color too!

My Dad has a red 1992 Porsche 968 Turbo - it is one awesome car.
  • Options
    Wow. VW is not faring very well these days.

VW Recall

• Options
    Q, what year and what engine? I'm assuming it was the 3.0l turbo 6? Other choices being the 3.2NA or 2.5t, which in that car, may not be that speedy.

Before we bought the RDX, we drove an XC60. Loved it (other than the wife not liking the seatbelt cutting across her neck, but that probably could have been adjusted away). Drove great, and fast. Loved the seats. But, it was a high end (45K+) model, and very far out of budget. And lower models did not have the same hot rod 6!