Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,441
    Q, you looking at the FX, EX, or both? Big difference in size. And price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312

GEESH...I just priced out a Mini Cooper to $44,000 without t&l . Say WHAT?!

You could get a 230i M Sport with the Track Handling Package and a raft of other options for less than that.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    edited October 2016
    I had a FX37 rental for a week on a ski trip. While it handles pretty well, it always felt too big on the outside and too small on the inside. Some magical packaging going on there. It always felt wide, which is fine on the highway, but not so great in the parking lot. The outward visibility didn't do it any favors. Seats meh. It was okay, but I didn't miss it at the end of the week. Never drove the EX since it more like a 2+2 than a four seater. Would be curious to investigate the new one with the longer wheelbase.

What about a X3 with the sport seats?

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    stickguy said:
    Q, you looking at the FX, EX, or both? Big difference in size. And price.
    I'll glance at an EX, but I am pretty sure it will be too small.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237
    Love the color combo on that one!
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Okay, the mystery lease is almost a done deal; more news when it's 100% locked in.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    I'm a couple inches shorter than you Q, and I remember the EX being pretty tight when I tested one a few years back.

Didn't they go to a longer wheelbase version recently?

I, of course, fully endorse the Q5. :)

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

I love the colors on that EX. Miles not too bad, but not sure if pricey at what they are asking. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but should be reliable.

I like the EX, from sitting in them at the car show. Seemed roomy up front (not in cargo area though).

I never liked the FX. My SIL had one that I drove. Never cared for the dynamics, and hated the huge bulbous hood and view out of it. Plus, as noted, for a large boat, it was really tiny inside.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    Besides that starter wire issue, my Golf has been flawless and the A3, again...flawless. We both like the experience and at this point, will go for the extended warranty once I hit 24K. The Mini Cooper I like, but it's a bit on the pricey side and on those, I'd want new. Plus, others have told me the ride ain't that great and I'd be sorry.
    One vehicle I'm starting to like is the Acura ILX, like the looks and it smacks of being uber reliable. A no drama vehicle which I'd have no problem owning. But I also like the Hyundai/Kia 2.4 4 cylinder engines like in the Sonata and Optima, a lot! Drove a few at work this week and very seemless and smooth up the power band. Will have to try the new Elantra and Forte and see if they have refined that engine this generation. But if told to buy a new vehicle right now, the ILX would probably be the one.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Love the Genie belt driven garage door opener so far! Super quiet and even the wife commented that she can hardly hear it...she can't hear it when I come home now! Got a new disposal gratis thanks to our home contract but while snaking the master sink, the tech caused a leak and they have to come back Monday! What??? Come for one issue and cause another...that ain't the way it's supposed to work folks! Such is home ownership ups and downs but getting to the point of wanting to put the casa up for sale and get something much newer but slightly smaller. Need to redo the kitchen and the oven/stove is original from 1987 and the GE fridge is a 1989 model as the original '87 had compressor issues. The father-in-law got GE to replace the original one for a nominal fee after he made a stink. But am waiting for either of them to go sooner than later.
    Personally, I just am so so ready to re-locate from Florida and this past week has just reenforced that desire. We dodged a major bullet in South Florida and after seeing the devestation Daytona, Savanah and Hilton Head have gone through, I just want out!!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

edited October 2016
    I don't know if they changed the EX. Possibly. I think I did hear something about more rear legroom. The price is about right on it. Maybe another $500 in there. But, hell, at that kind of money, I could take a 3-yr note and still be saving nearly $250/mo over what my CTS was running me. 

However, and partly why it appeals to me, I could get a 2015 Terrain with under 25k miles on a 4-yr loan at $300 less than the caddy payment. I guess, really, either way I'd probably be in a good trading position in just 2 years. Probably not a true statement of the Audi nor Volvo. Yeah, yeah, I'm nuts for even thinking 2 cars ahead already, but isn't that why we are on this board??

Sandy, I really liked the ILX. If you like the A3, that should appeal to you also. Similar size, lots of features. As long as you get the updated model (2016?) with the 2.4L engine and DSG. really souped up the performance. Very comfy seats, all kinds of goodies. Drove nice to me. Might not be quite a BMW or Audi, but it is way cheaper! Nice tidy size too. And should be dead on reliable.

The ILX has a DSG? Didn't know Honda finally upped their transmission game.

the ILX has the same drivetrain as the 4 cyl TLX. Weighs less too, so pretty quick (by my standards).

2.4l NA 4, with a 7 (I think) speed DSG. I drove one. seemed good to me.

Sandy, I had a 1996 fridge in my old house that was way too big for the kitchen. It started running 24/7 and not maintaining the correct temperature. The coil fan on the back had locked up. A new identical part would've been $100 or more. I bought a new, smaller fridge for about $500. Energy sticker showed about half the usage of the old one. You might check with your power company to see whether they offer a rebate on replacing the refrigerator.
    qbrozen said:

I could get a 2015 Terrain with under 25k miles on a 4-yr loan at $300 less than the caddy payment. I guess, really, either way I'd probably be in a good trading position in just 2 years. Probably not a true statement of the Audi nor Volvo. Yeah, yeah, I'm nuts for even thinking 2 cars ahead already, but isn't that why we are on this board??

Indeed! Also, if I could get a screaming deal on a 3.6 liter Terrain, Equinox, or SRX, I'd jump at it, but would probably also want a warranty.
    Wish I could have liked the SRX seat. I definitely prefer its looks and interior. 

You guys really need to get the Diesels bought back, so the buying frenzy can commence.

actually, Q, aren't you the only one that actually bought a TDI as you driver car, instead of just a spare to flip? So I guess a lot of the others will not actually take advantage to buy a replacement (except Breld of course)

I like this XC60. good colors. All important BLIS and backup cam. Plus a facelifted model. Assuming of course, you can survive with just the 3.2l six!

http://www.redbankvolvocars.com/certified/Volvo/2014-Volvo-XC60-677823540a0e08bc1e1b28fab8972404.htm

1 year older T6 for the same money. Nicely equipped. I like them in white. Got BLIS and BU camera too.

http://www.redbankvolvocars.com/certified/Volvo/2013-Volvo-XC60-48ec92960a0e08ba030a3ea303615c5e.htm

If I did get an ILX, would probably go new and get all the tech goodies as it would be my retirement vehicle. But, as of now, our plan for when we do retire is to see America, to just get in the car and go. Want to see America first before going across the pond and further. So much to see and with proper planning, staying at B&B's or economy places part of the time and staying in nicer places in certain cities. Nothing in stone yet as we just came to the conclusion that we'd both love to do this. As long as we can get access to the internet, all should be fine. Of course we'd need one of our kids to get the mail at their place and come down to the house on a regular basis to make sure all is in order. Some bills can be paid in advance so one has a large positive balance.
    In order to do this, we'd need the proper sized vehicle to be able to carry enough "stuff" so we could go a few weeks without doing laundry. Also, the vehicle would need some extra room for other "stuff" picked up along the way. But as long as we're both healthy, this Plan A could definitely work. The only glitch would be my current need to see my pain doc every 90 days and get my prescriptions every 30 days which must be signed for. This could present a problem so we will have to see if we can work around this. And also, we'd need to chose the right vehicle!

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's a good way to scope out places you think you may want to move to.

Stop by, we're on the way.

To somewhere....
    The Grand Canyon is #1 on my list of places to see. Have already done the California thing and around New Orleans. With my son in Chicago, would like to head there first, and not knowing when the wedding will be, the timing could indeed work. With 36 quarters right now, only four more to go to get to the magic 40 needed! I am soooo ready to get there already!!

stickguy said:
    You guys really need to get the Diesels bought back, so the buying frenzy can commence. actually, Q, aren't you the only one that actually bought a TDI as you driver car, instead of just a spare to flip? So I guess a lot of the others will not actually take advantage to buy a replacement (except Breld of course)
    Hmmm...yeah, I guess most people bought it as an extra car.

that white one has near 60k miles, though. I have a tough time starting that high on something that expensive. 

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,334
    stickguy said:
    You guys really need to get the Diesels bought back, so the buying frenzy can commence. actually, Q, aren't you the only one that actually bought a TDI as you driver car, instead of just a spare to flip? So I guess a lot of the others will not actually take advantage to buy a replacement (except Breld of course)
    I'm planning to time the return of the A3 with starting to shop for replacements for my wife's Escape.  Should give me a solid 4-6 months to figure it out since the Escape goes back in June.

I'm hoping to have the bulk of shopping done and cars ranked before baby 28FF arrives so I don't need to drag wife shopping.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    @qbrozen - so you liked the V6 Terrain? Are there many of those around?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited October 2016
    sandman - you guys aren't enamored by the RV idea? We've thought about it and it's perty much fallen off our list. I'm still looking at 4 years, 10 months, 11 days and 39 minutes of work left before I try to retire. We like the driving a regular rig around idea a lot more. Select trips - some close, some not - are being thought of. The logistics of getting the mail could be made easier with all the cool internet technology these days - a good laptop and good internet connection and having all of your creditors send you your bill (s) electronically will go a long way ta making it happen. We're working hard ta make it happen for the both of us.

A new rig is realistically about 3 years away with this plan in view. 401K savings or a separate savings account of mine could be the method we use so we can pay off the car in cash is something we'd like ta do.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

stickguy said:

You guys really need to get the Diesels bought back, so the buying frenzy can commence.

actually, Q, aren't you the only one that actually bought a TDI as you driver car, instead of just a spare to flip? So I guess a lot of the others will not actually take advantage to buy a replacement (except Breld of course)

For me, the TDI deal was always a means to decrease overall car debt, though there always was the chance that a VW dealership could offer up a great deal on a new GTI or something as part of the whole trade. :)

But with still hanging on to two houses, that ain't happening. Those TDI proceeds will simply go to payoff some bridge loans out there that have been floating the unsold home. Bummer - but it's still serving a good purpose.

On another note, the family was visiting my stepdaughter up in Ft. Collins yesterday and as we were passing the VW dealership, we noticed a nice, loaded up, Silk Blue (Sandy's color) Alltrack.

Stopped by to take a look - with the silver trim and "chunky" wheels, it has a more substantial appearance than the "regular" wagon. And the interior is nice with the two-tone sport seats (like the Jetta Sport, but with a darker gray/taupe). The wife liked it and said she could see a used one as her next car once she's ready. Which is funny and makes no sense - by her own admission, she doesn't like the Audi Allroad compared to the departed A4 wagon, but she likes this Alltrack better than the Golf Wagon.

nyccarguy said:
    @qbrozen - so you liked the V6 Terrain? Are there many of those around?
    Yes. No shortage of those at all. Justnot a great deal of color selection. Seems like at least half are black/black.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,032
    qbrozen said:

I thought most people here bought them as an arbitrage vehicle to take advantage of the buyback?

Where does all that stand right now, anyway? Has anyone actually sold their TDI back to VW for a big bag of cash? I read this week that up here in Canada VW has agreed to nothing with anyone on that front, and the dealers are starting to get P.O.'ed since they lost about half their business by not being able to sell new TDIs.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

stickguy said:

I've toyed with the idea of getting a "fun" second car with the sale proceeds, but probably won't. I miss keeping my Murano in the garage.
    ab348 said:

qbrozen said:

I thought most people here bought them as an arbitrage vehicle to take advantage of the buyback?

Where does all that stand right now, anyway? Has anyone actually sold their TDI back to VW for a big bag of cash? I read this week that up here in Canada VW has agreed to nothing with anyone on that front, and the dealers are starting to get P.O.'ed since they lost about half their business by not being able to sell new TDIs.
    In the US, buybacks are supposed to start in November. I don't think anyone has sold theirs back yet.
    Hey QB, how about one of these? Can't recall hearing it mentioned before. Miles and price are not too bad on this one it seems.

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Nissan/2011-Nissan-Murano-0803322f0a0e0991647627684f2a82e5.htm

Here's one of those 3.6l Equinox's you like. Only an LT though, so not heavy on luxury goodies I assume. But low miles and a 2014.

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Chevrolet/2014-Chevrolet-Equinox-840892730a0e0ae717548d63d2c442e8.htm

Newer Murano. 1/2 the miles, nice color, and LE with leather. I do like this one. More money of course, but about same as the Chevy.

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Nissan/2012-Nissan-Murano-e4003b830a0e0990166a1694cc9affe5.htm

here is a spiffy ILX for Sandy. I kind of like this one. Actually, seems like a real good deal. 2016, almost no miles, tech package, and certified. Hard to go wrong here with that much warranty.

http://www.eliteacura.com/certified/Acura/2016-Acura-ILX-55ea3b160a0d04fe42225cd4ec74cbda.htm

stickguy said:

Hey QB, how about one of these? Can't recall hearing it mentioned before. Miles and price are not too bad on this one it seems.

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Nissan/2011-Nissan-Murano-0803322f0a0e0991647627684f2a82e5.htm

Here's one of those 3.6l Equinox's you like. Only an LT though, so not heavy on luxury goodies I assume. But low miles and a 2014.

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Chevrolet/2014-Chevrolet-Equinox-840892730a0e0ae717548d63d2c442e8.htm

Newer Murano. 1/2 the miles, nice color, and LE with leather. I do like this one. More money of course, but about same as the Chevy.

http://www.eliteacura.com/used/Nissan/2012-Nissan-Murano-e4003b830a0e0990166a1694cc9affe5.htm

Won't touch a Murano, and I don't like the looks of the Equinox.

2011 Murano looks like a good deal. I'm not fond of the 20" wheels on the 2012 LE, but I love the burgundy / ivory color combo.
    Tough crowd.

anyone else like the ILX?

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154
    stickguy said:

Tough crowd.

anyone else like the ILX?

That looks like a lot of car for the money.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

many goodies on that with the tech package. If I was in the market now, would take a look. Not sure if that color is too bright in real life though.

certified, so almost 7 years of warranty. Finance over 6 years at cheap CPO rate, and probably about the same monthly as a lease. 2x over.

I like the facelift on the ILX and really like that blue. Kinda wish they would've kept the manual option, making it a mature Civic Si.

if it came with a stick I would probably have one. I came close on the Si, but the ILX would work a lot better for us.

It does IMO drive real well with the DSG gearbox. I test drove one a few times. a slightly smaller TLX, with a few more features (like BLIS) for a fair amount less money. And 3 gallon smaller gas tank, so lose a lot of range sadly.

qbrozen said:

Won't touch a Murano...

Sad! :'(
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,219
    corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Won't touch a Murano...

If you are looking for validation, I really like your VW wagon. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:
    Won't touch a Murano...
    Sorry. I have just never liked them. Did they ever move away from the CVT? I know they were having problems early on with those.

qbrozen said:
    corvette said:
    Won't touch a Murano...
    Sorry. I have just never liked them. Did they ever move away from the CVT? I know they were having problems early on with those.
    All Muranos have CVTs. There is a "rubber band" feeling sometimes, but it works well in everyday driving. They extended the warranty on the early CVTs, but I think the issues have been fixed now. 
    Is the drone issue better with the big V6? I assume that engine does not have to rev real high to get motivation!

CVT is a big reason why I would never want one.

Not sure what this actually is, but darned nice looking. I assume a clone? And probably scary fast. Looks nicely done at least. Looks like same engine my BIL has in his cobra Kit car.

http://www.royaleasing.com/detail-1967-ford-mustang_convertible-used-15583436.html

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah, no doubt a clone since they only made ONE '67 Shelby convertible and that one sold for $825,000 7 years ago.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,154
    I finally cracked 1000 miles in my Jetta over the weekend. And, put my 3rd tank of gas in it. Got just over 31 MPG on the last tank. Hoping the mileage will improve as the engine breaks in.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4