Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,966
    since I have had my car just about 51/2 months now, and have put something in the neighborhood of 500 miles on it, I could probably charge it once a week and be fine.

if anything, I am the perfect person for one of these, though at this point, I am trying to downsize the fleet.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,888
    edited June 2013
    Only leased one car. I swear that I was already thinking what to get next in 6 months. Drove me crazy knowing there was a finite period of driving it. Got out after 2 years and now own both vehicles which has redirected my ocd to focus on other stuff.

A "chronic" car buyer's worst enemy is leasing! If I wanted to reduce (note the words wanted to) the number of cars I acquired, I would lease instead of buy my cars. Early termination of a lease can be quite costly. When I leased vehicles, it was like going on a strict diet - no sweets, few carbohydrates, etc. I couldn't wait for the lease to be up so I could get something brand spanking new!

So, if I decide to become more frugal - keep a car for a few years - I would lease my cars.

Posters to this forum are, for obvious reasons, much more likely to buy their cars rather than lease them.

Any disagreements?

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,385
    Yeah, in the past decade, the vehicle I kept the longest was the one I leased. Haven't leased since. :blush:

I think I could be tempted by a good 24 month lease, on the other hand...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,888
    I think I could be tempted by a good 24 month lease, on the other hand...

Yes - I leased a 1991 Mercedes 300E for 60 months (only way I could afford a Mercedes way back then) and actually kept it for the full 60 months. I put 60,000 miles on that car - had no problems at all with that car. Drove as good on the last week of the lease as it did when I first got it.

As for leasing in the future, I agree - a good 24 or 27 month lease could tempt me as well. Mercedes does at times offer 27 month leases.

I leased a Ford Taurus back in 1989 for 24 months on a Red Carpet Lease. It seems as I get older, I like a new car more frequently.

My 2014 Mercedes E350 Sport Sedan is one I will keep until the 2016's come out. 2016 is the year they are doing a complete redesign on the car. The only reason I bought a 2014 was because they made some significant sheet metal changes and technology improvements for 2014 on the Sport model version. The Luxury version had very few changes - there is a significant sheet metal and grille difference between the Sport and Luxury versions for the very first time in the history of the E Class.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,172
    I really liked the 24-month lease on my Audi A4 (it was a fantastic deal and I would do it again in a heartbeat if they had another similar lease program). I knew I would be in the market again in X number of months. That was good enough to satisfy my CCBA impulses. Admittedly, that impulse doesn't run as deep for me as it does for some of the others on this board! :D
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,533
    As others have said, I think 24 mos would be my limit. That's still 6 months longer than any of my last 5 daily drivers. :blush:

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,770
    One of the things I like about my BMW lease is that it is relatively short, 30 months. For those 30 months, I'm allowed 50,000 miles which keeps me within the free maintenance/warranty period for the life of the lease.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,962
    I'd think a 24 or so month lease would be the CCBA's dream - an excuse to get another car every other year. Unless you buy at the end of the lease, of course - I don't know if the inflated residual is stuck to by the dealer, or if they will sell for real world money.

I'm still not sure what I will do at the end of my term. I like the car, but who knows what might be out by then, or if I will want to keep a car payment on the payroll.

In a completely un-CCBA direction, my grandmother has now announced when her license expires this year, she is not going to renew. She said this 5 years ago, but now that she is within sight of 90, I think she means it. Guess who will be in charge of selling her car...anyone want to buy a 10 year old Taurus with 50K on it? (most mileage from my uncle when they go visit my mother).
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    If I were to lease, I think two '2' year leases would be perfect rotating every other year. So, every year you get a new car! :blush:

M156
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,847
    in 2011, I leased a Z4 for 24 months... flipped it to a friend after 30 days.. :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

A friend of mine is about 13 months into a 30 month (I think) Prius lease - he wants out badly. Good luck with that. I think he'll be paying through the nose, or just be stuck with it.

I like the 2 rotating lease idea, good for someone with a spouse.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,346
    In Illinois, when you lease you pay the full 6.5 % sales tax. You should roll it into the lease. $1625 on a 25k car or $68 per month for 24 months. Do it again in two years and you fork over another $1625. Not very short term lease friendly.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    That sucks! You should only have to pay tax on the portion you are using. Nice cash cow for Illinois, not even NJ does that!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I would guess that flipping leases would make more sense if you stay with the same brand. otherwise the bank fees and disposal fees will mount up every 2 years. Get those waived, and different story!

Yes, those fees can add up. It adds about $1000 to most leases. If the MF is highly subsidised (as most good leases are) it softens the blow.

The easiest way to avoid a dispo fee is to get the dealer to buy your car for their lot from the leasing company.

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,172
    edited June 2013
    "A friend of mine is about 13 months into a 30 month (I think) Prius lease - he wants out badly."

If gas prices spike to $4.50/$5, he may be able to sell it for more than the payoff. That may also a great time to pick up a used SUV.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,692
    Yesterday while moving vehicles lot to lot, saw 2 trailers of MB's coming in...looked like GLK's, C Classes and the small 2 door coupes. The one's that came in a couple of weeks ago are still sitting there so they have close to 40 by my rough count. Guess they are waiting till around the July 4th weekend to put them into rotation as things look to be slow right now. We're filling up our outer lots with vehicles...I guess once schools let out and the July 4th weekend comes, things will pick up with summer vacations and all. Even though it does get pretty hot down here, folks still come to Florida for the Orlando parks and the cruises out of Port Everglades and Miami. I know that on Saturdays and Sundays, many cruisers pick up rentals.

With the economy definitely improving and consumer confidence rising, folks are traveling big time again. I heard on the news earlier that May was a stellar month for U S auto sales...folks want/and are replacing their older vehicles with new ones. A great thing for the economy and our country. Hopefully we'll be adding to our stable once the '14 models show up!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

So which of those MBs will you be buying? ;)

C/GLK/SLK are the mainstays of the highline Sixt fleet. They have plenty of Es and MLs, but not like the smaller cars. Even some GLs, I think.
    He did say he'd like a small ute because it would be easier to get in and out of. The GLK has SANDMAN written all over it!

Make it a diesel and he really can't go wrong. Economy, durability, with some premium feel.
    Absolutely!

completely unexciting, and I could never drive it, but looks like a good deal for the money for a winter/station/beater/teenager car.

http://www.torchlightmotors.com/1998-Toyota-Corolla/Used-Car/Parlin-NJ/5241/3107- 864/Details.aspx

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,692
    It's been pretty dead in here lately but life is getting a bit more busy for so many of us that posting and reading has decreased and now with summer upon us, schools ended for the summer today, I don't expect things to pick up much before fall. I know I don't come in as much as I used to either but life sometimes gets in the way.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Since one of my favorite leisure activities (on beautiful, sunny, Saturday afternoons after work) is now mowing the lawn, I've now got even less time (3 kids under 7 & a 6 day-a-week job) to keep our family's 3 vehicles clean. So after I put the kids to bed tonight, I headed into the garage & cleaned the inside of my wife's Pilot. Scrubbed the rubber (Honda) mats from all 3 rows, conditioned the front seats with Griot's Garage leather care, wiped the dash and every little crack & crevice with windex and a rag, vacuumed the floor of all 3 rows, uninstalled & reinstalled all 3 car seats. I did a great job & am proud of myself. Next evening I have time (& it's not supposed to rain 2" - 4" overnight), ill wash the exterior. It is also definitely due for a wax.

now that my son is home for good, I need to attack the TL. It got an occasional wash, and rare wax, over the last few years since it was usually at school with him, and he parked under some trees. so it took a beating (and already had a ton of scratches).

but, we are going to work on it Saturday. Even going to give a clay bar a try (never have used one) then a good quality wax. might not look like new, but will be as good as it can be. Will also detail the interior, which is years overdue for that.

plus vacuuming out all the tree crap from the cowl. Yuck. Man, I love having a garage to park in!

Clay bar really helps before a wax. Use a spray detailer to lube the clay, turn/knead it frequently and the #1 important thing is if you drop the clay throw it away!! It will have gunk in it and scratch up the paint.

I did the Marquis when I first got it and the neglected paint got nice and smooth and the wax went on/off like a much newer car.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,286
    Clay bars are fun, but I just use water to lube mine. Seems to work just as well.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

You'll be impressed with the results of the clay bar. It takes away all of the paint imperfections.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    nyc / stick - good on ya both for getting to the Pilot and TL for some much needed cleaning.

Spent a couple days earlier this week in Boston - no rental car as I was in Cambridge and used taxis to get around. Nothing terribly exciting to see other than a 4 door Bentley parked in front of the hotel on Monday night.

As always, I've been giving a lot of thought to my next car - no earthly idea when I might get it (wife says after the CX-7 is paid off). Not sure how many other car enthusiast websites everyone looks at, but there was an article recently on one of them about how the BMW 1-series will, in time, become E30-like in desirability. Small, light, RWD, inline-6, etc.

So it got me thinking about other cars available now that we'll yearn for in 5-10 years. Feel free to discuss or disagree.

Buick Regal GS - the turbo, AWD, stick shift model. Limited numbers, 270HP. Even though its from GM, it might have some collector status eventually.
    I LOVE BOSTON. It is my favorite city to visit & is less than 3 hours from my house. My only problem with it (nothing's perfect) is the baseball team that plays there :P

As always, I've been giving a lot of thought to my next car

That makes 2 of us. With an emphasis on A LOT. In addition to the Wrangler Unlimited I've previously mentioned, my practical side is constantly showing its ugly head. I've been thinking of a CR-V to add to my list of cars to test drive next summer. I just love the fact that I could drive it for 5 years (& over 100K miles), pay it off, & still have a car worth $10K.

I'm really gearing up for money saving mode as our house needs a lot of work that needs to be addressed in the next few years. New kitchen, Exterior needs to be painted badly, I need a new driveway, we'd like a bigger deck, we want to take the kids to Disney, figure out how we are going to pay for college for 3 kids, and then MAYBE start putting away some money toward retirement.