Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    no state income tax? That limits you a lot. Texas? Nah, not if you don't want hot. Washington state is a long way, and parts not cheap. S. Dakota? Nevada?

I like NC. Location, weather, affordability. Pretty much hits the sweet spot. SE Tennessee is nice also.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    qbrozen said:

hmmmm....

autocheck tells me 2 accidents and possible odometer issue, but I can't get more details.

9/08/2009-- collision with another vehicle

2/28/2012 --- the vehicle hit a sign post.

Miles are 63,600 as of Sept 28th

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Thanks, shifty. So no evidence of rollback? Wonder why autocheck has an odometer alert on it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited October 2016

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Thanks, shifty. So no evidence of rollback? Wonder why autocheck has an odometer alert on it.

Well it has an odd mileage history....from July 2005 to Feb 2007 it had only gone 3,520 miles, and by March 2008 only 4,708 miles. After that, the mileage normalizes. The car seems to have moved up and down the east coast a lot. Florida car part of its life, so that's always a bit scary.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    edited October 2016
    qbrozen said:
    It's too bad you can't find one of these with the Alpha 5.3. Don't know that there's any way I'd want to roll with only 5 cylinders in something of this size. I've always loved the big looks/trimmer size combo of the H3s though.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    Just over $3 a pound, Q---not bad. I can't get a chicken for that. At 13 mpg city, though, I'd hate to have to fill it up in California every 300 miles for $70 bucks.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
     From what I have read, the V8 does not add significant power while decreasing gas mileage quite a bit. Owners with the I5 report 20 mpg on the highway vs somewhere around 15 with the v8.

Believe me, I do not even like the idea of 20, but considering how much cheaper the vehicle is versus the more economical and sportier choices I am considering, the difference would pay for the fuel many times over.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    js06gv said:

qbrozen said:
    It's too bad you can't find one of these with the Alpha 5.3. Don't know that there's any way I'd want to roll with only 5 cylinders in something of this size. I've always loved the big looks/trimmer size combo of the H3s though.

I like this one, except for the wheels. Too bad it's in Winnipeg.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Hummer/H3/Headingley/Manitoba/5_28632738_20080103121911180/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=22_15_53

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Those wheels are awful. Is the Remus exhaust aftermarket? If so, that's another negative for me. It looks like they used the same steering wheel as the Canyon / Colorado, so that may explain the lack of steering wheel audio controls. No backup cam?
  • Options
    So, my consulting business had a banner day today. Both of my current "clients" struck deals.

First, by SIL finally decided she had to make a decision and do something. Stopped at Infiniti, and did not really get anything worked out. Was debating between QX30 and QX50, and had some issues with both, plus the money was not where she wanted to be. And kept comparing flaws against the RDX that she really seemed to like. So, after she said she was going to lunch, and a call to discuss colors (she has currently a red MDX,, and did not want same color again, but did want Parchment interior). So at no surprise to me, a few hours later she texted a picture of an RDX, with caption "Tuesday!!". I was surprised to see that it was white. I think it looks good on that car, but she did not think she was a white car person, whatever that meant.

But, I guess the need to get a deal done (well, consummate the one she had on the table since last weekend), she must have decided that was the best option of the limited supply of non-black interiors.

Particulars are Base AWD (2017) RDX. Sticker $38,010. Don't have the exact numbers, but was told that she got the QB sanctioned trade in ($11,000) for a very beat 2008 MDX, and using that for inception stuff ends up with a 36/36,000 lease, $330/month, and a check back for $8,000. So overall, for what she had and what she got, I think she did fine. Real nice car too. She seemed to love it from the test drive. Just a newer model year of the exact car I have (other than color)

• Options
    edited October 2016
    2nd was my son, who seemed to be mentally incapable of waiting 4 months until his lease ended to get his new car. Wonder where he gets that from? So, he has been (well, me too) researching the supply of A3s in the NE. Which is rapidly increasing, which makes needing to rush even less important. But he was worried about finding the exact configuration he wants if he waits too long. Which frankly was a lame justification excuse. So, finds what he thinks is perfect, down in Watertown Ct (2 hours from him). So takes a drive this afternoon, just to check it out. Even though in the last few days, we started discussing the features he would be missing (largely the virtual cockpit and Navi). Which he starts thinking, he really wants. And the Ct. car does not have. But I find that exact one in N. Jersey.

But, he drives down to Ct. anyway. Drives the base model with Sport package. Texts that Sport package is a must have. Which I already knew. Says the salesdude is getting a tech package car to try. Next text is, the Virtual cockpit is way cool (and one of the reasons he decided to wait for a 2017 model). So, I text back, "you just want the exact car sitting in N. Jersey?" Basically, yes. Suggest he contact the guy down here he has been talking to. But, next I hear, he calls from his car, to excitedly report that he made a deal and bought a car (actually, made a deal, and is waiting for a car).

Dealer in Ct. is going to try and dealer trade for what he agreed to buy. which we already know is a 1 of 1 in at least this 1/2 of the country. So if they can pry it loose, he will get it in a week or so. If not, he waits until they can come up with one.

sounded like a decent discount received for a brand new model (a 2017), plus they are throwing in extra to make his last 3 lease payments (and because getting an Audi, waives the $350 disposition fee). So, turning it in early is relatively a wash.

not cheap, but he knows he will have it a long time, and didn't want to cut corners and skip something he really wanted again. Which makes sense. And he can afford it! Plus buying this time, not leasing.

car is a premium plus, tech and sport packages. Really sharp and well equipped.

• Options
    all this going on while I was painting a spare bedroom. Not a good time to be getting constant texts. But, at least I don't have to make the payments!

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    A co-worker is becoming a chronic buyer. 4 years ago he bought a late run E60 535i. Dumped it in about a year for a 328i lease. Lease ended at the beginning of the year, he bought a used F10 550i. Just dumped it after less than a year for an E90 M3. At least he's brand-consistent.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Nice @stickguy! Way to go!

@fintail - bring em on over. We are always looking for new members!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I'm starting to REALLY like what I read about the Camaro SS.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Think he'll really like his A3. Like ours a lot but hardly ever drive it which works for me. For some reason, she has to wait 3 weeks for them to do the recall that I had done this past week. Not sure why they did the recall but the first tankful after it being done is showing improved mpg numbers. Might just be a fluke, but getting better mileage now, something I'm quite happy with. Part of me is still unhappy that I didn't go with the used CT200 that I wanted to get before deciding on the Golf.

The Sandman/i> :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Honestly, I keep talking myself in circles. Seems I could get an '08 Cayenne S for darned near the same price as an '08 Hummer, but then I think "well, for just a little more, an EX35 will outperform, outlast, and out mpg a Cayene." Then I think "an EX37 is just a couple grand more." So a little step here and a little step there and I'm back to a '13 EX37 over an '08 Hummer for $24k vs $16k. Then I start all over again because $16k sounds so much better. Jane, get me off this crazy thing.

• Options
    I think the Hummer dalliance would wear off pretty fast....you know, like when you were a kid and you and your friends were on their bikes and somebody said: "Hey, let's build a ramp!"

• Options
    Yeah I worry about that, too. I think I have to go drive one again. I drove one a year ago and that was with the mindset that it would be the wife's, which can change my assessment drastically. 

• Options
    There's another thing, which may not register in your zip code---but the Hummer gives off a bad vibe to some people. Whether that is justified or not is not the point---when you drive one of these trucks, you sort of inherit its karma, or reputation, or however you want to put it.

On a pragmatic note----tough to park.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    IMO, H3 isn't too problematic in terms of vibes, and the H1 is a funny thing. But the H2 is still a dbag-mobile.
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I know so many people, whenever they see one, think "This person is a total jerk."
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Mrs. iluv's younger brother, a Chicago cop, added a Hummer to his "stable" of rigs several years ago. I just asked her what he has ever said about that vehicle, and it's this: "Ah, it's good in the snow."

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    That's true, the H2 is a lot worse. The H3 is "only" 4700 lbs. Still... 85.5 inches wide and 76.4 inches tall.

Oddly enough, it only tows 4500 lb.
  • Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy Nice cars that your S I L and Son got! You are next lol lol
  • Options
    I got a year to go. and will not be getting anything close to that nice.

• Options
    tbirdmarcotbirdmarco Member Posts: 3,838
    @stickguy Cant wate to see in one year what you end up getting! Year will go fast. have an good upcumming week!
  • Options
    This is tempting. I like that it's a 2009, which was the first year for major engineering changes. Also like the miles. Pricey but not too bad.

http://www.hondaofhayward.com/used/Mazda/2009-Mazda-Mazda+RX-8-afa992530a0e0ae854d002e5dff13319.htm

This Porsche is really tempting. Look at the miles! (verified). Oddly enough, low mileage Porsche 996s are riskier than high mileage ones---it gives me pause. If that engine grenades, the car is a total.

http://www.hondaofhayward.com/inventory-detail/print.htm?itemId=9210cb200a0e0adf3843aba01e47d4ab&category=AUTO&print=true

Gee, I picked two cars with French Poodle engines.....I know guys, I know....date the ballerina but marry the librarian.....
  • Options
    Do you realize that RX8 is a slushbox?

• Options
    Actually it's not. The meatballs have photos of it and there are clearly 3 pedals. They also failed to list the sunroof or the Bose stereo.

I wouldn't have an automatic RX-8. That would be a lethal combination for a Renesis engine.
  • Options
    I must be missing it. I can't find the miles on that Porsche. Didn't I read that preventatively changing the IMS bearing isn't crazy expensive?

• Options
    I had to open the carfax. about 29K miles on it.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    You might recall the '86 911 from last week, that sold before I could get any info. $20K asking.

On Saturday, at Cars n Coffee, a guy had an '85 911 coupe.. not really outstanding, just decent shape. Paid $30K for it, last year.

I knew that was a cheap price! :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    On another note. Neighbor of a friend is selling his daughter's '97 Range Rover 4.0 SE. 150K miles, and 45 mile daily commute, round trip (which means running condition). $500.

I've never had a Range Rover.. :o

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    kyfdx said:

On another note. Neighbor of a friend is selling his daughter's '97 Range Rover 4.0 SE. 150K miles, and 45 mile daily commute, round trip (which means running condition). $500.

For $500 how can you go wrong?
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

kyfdx said:

For $500 how can you go wrong?
    As long as you can avoid really liking it, and stick to small repairs, such as battery replacement, you really can't go wrong. $1500 for brakes and things like that, have to be avoided. So, if it really breaks down, you just have it towed away.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Looks like this one:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    including the dents and chalk?

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    I think if anything major went, I'd just donate it to my local fire department. They can use it for training, they'll come take it away, and give you a tax deduction form. Win win.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Even scrap value is damned close to that. I wouldn't hesitate to scoop it up.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

including the dents and chalk?

Same color.. no dents or chalk. ;) But, front seats have seat covers, so probably in rough shape, and seems to have that caked on grime that shows little care given to maintenance, etc..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozen said:

My wife is going to kill me. The A3 TDI is already an extra car. This would make 5 cars for 3 drivers.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Sounds like a fair car for a great price! (Buffett once said he'd rather buy a great company at a fair price than a fair company at a great price, so buying the Land Rover may not be the smartest thing...)

* Warren Buffett, not his more popular cousin Jimmy. 
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

qbrozen said:

My wife is going to kill me. The A3 TDI is already an extra car. This would make 5 cars for 3 drivers.
    It would make the perfect extra car for Junior to drive in the winter while his 200K mile ///M3 stays parked in your garage. When's his birthday?

• Options
    kyfdx said:

You might recall the '86 911 from last week, that sold before I could get any info. $20K asking.

On Saturday, at Cars n Coffee, a guy had an '85 911 coupe.. not really outstanding, just decent shape. Paid $30K for it, last year.

There is no such thing as a "cheap" Porsche, believe me!
  • Options

kyfdx said:

You still want an '87-89. So much nicer to drive. If an '85 is a 7.8, an '87 is a 9.8.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Sure I'd buy it in a minute if it ran. I'd just keep wing nuts on the license plates.
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

I must be missing it. I can't find the miles on that Porsche. Didn't I read that preventatively changing the IMS bearing isn't crazy expensive?

It's about $3,000 to $4,000. The problem is the old "while we're in there". Also, on some models, you have to split the case to replace the IMS, so you don't ever wanna do that.
  • Options

kyfdx said:

You still want an '87-89. So much nicer to drive. If an '85 is a 7.8, an '87 is a 9.8.

Pricing Porsches is so tricky. You have to look at each individual car. And each individual year. One might seem cheap, but isn't; another might seem priced well over book, but is worth it because it's exceptional. With $20,000 engine rebuilds, you don't shop for these like you do for ordinary used cars.