Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,090
    16 for the year, so far. Keep 'em coming, people! :P

Congratulations on the new car! I love the color combination, it's the same I had on my 2009 Altima (metallic white/tan interior, although mine was cloth). From the gas mileage, I assume it's the four-cylinder. According (see what I did there?) to the reviews I've read, the four cylinder is the one to get, as the added weight of the V6 makes the car feel less sprightly. Did you trade anything in on it?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,396
    I drove the Pop

What's a Pop?
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,396
    (see what I did there?)

/facepalm

:p
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,373
    Yeah, its the DI 4 cyl. With a 0-60 in the mid to low 7's, its has plenty of power. I hear the V6 is a rocket, although noticeably more nose heavy.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,507
    Enjoy the Honda!
    - Ray
    If only Honda sold a turbocharged 4 sports sedan here.....
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    One of the models of the Fiat 500. Sport, Lounge,Pop etc.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,638
    We moved a few of these to the auction yesterday and the light brown color is starting to win me over. The hydroplaning I encountered last month was a real turn off though especially down here in South Florida which can get loads of rain. But there are tons on the road here and as a commuter vehicle, they fit the bill nicely. From what I remember, it accelerated nicely though it wasn't the most comfortable seating wise. I do love the size and right now, I'm leaning towards the Mini as the better choice though it is the more expensive one. Especially with the price of petrol lately, commuter cars are making more sense and if one needs a larger vehicle for a long trip, rent one.

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,374
    I think the hydroplaning must have been a tire issue. I monitor a couple of 500 boards and no one has mentioned that. My main concern with the Abarth is comfort on 2-3 hour runs. I'd love to have one for a couple of days to ensure it would be up to the task.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    The light brown beige color is 50's - 60's VW all the way. Used to see a lot that color. Make sure to wear bone colored velcro walking shoes to complete the total appearance when leaving the car. I've been told those shoes are very popular in Florida with the senior dude set.
    Maybe so, but I've compared notes with some other drivers in my crew and they've all said the same thing I did and have experienced the same hydroplaning issue during the rain so it just can't be me...all our experiences are almost identical! Just like yesterday, when there is a row of vehicles to be moved and there is a Fiat or two in line, I will choose something else unless i have no choice and that's exactly what I did, twice, yesterday.

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,567
    I heard, but have not experienced, that these little Fiats move around a lot in crosswinds.

edited August 2013
    So I drove the new Accord for its first commute this morning. 26 miles, mostly interstate. Indicated MPG for this commute segment was 38.7. I'm not sure how accurate the computer is yet, but I'm pretty pleased for an engine that hasn't broken in yet. As they say, YMMV.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I'm with you on the Accord Sport with CVT. Obtainable for about $25K out the door and an all-around great car.

I hated CVT prior to test driving the new Accords this year. When I say hated, I mean hated; that is the right word. Now, it's as good as any slush-box automatic I've ever driven.

It handles well, is quiet, felt great, and the interior seemed top notch for a $25K car.
    And it has a 17.2 gal. tank.
    - Ray
    Range = good....
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    edited August 2013
    My '06 A3 having 103 thousand very fun miles on it means I'm not a "chronic" car buyer, but it's still running fine, so I am a bit crazy, or just ready for something new and different.

I have a HPDE in November and if I can hold out until then with a new (or almost new pre-owned) car, then I can track the old A3 one last time. If I buy in early November it'll still be too early to take the new car out on the track (won't be broken in yet).

Heck, at the rate I'm going looking at cars and doing test drives, I can't see holding out much past September (custom order could take 8 to 12 weeks?)
    100K is a very good time to pull the rip cord on an Audi IMO. As you know, major repairs on this car are expensive and after 100K, it is not unreasonable that major components could fail.

I plan to "save" my aging MINI by buying an inexpensive pickup truck. I bet I could pay for a good chunk of the truck itself in a couple years by not having to do major work on the MINI.

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Wife saw the shoes on the CX-7 this morning and directed me to find a replacement. I'm down to three options:

Bridgestone Dueler Ecopias. 65k tread life.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde. 50k.

Yokohama YK-580. 60k.

All are between $900-1000 installed. I've got the Ecopias being trucked in from Chicago and not sure they will be in CO by Saturday, which is the only day available to get them installed. The others are more readily available.

Is there a bad choice among the three?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,004
    I plan to "save" my aging MINI by buying an inexpensive pickup truck. I bet I could pay for a good chunk of the truck itself in a couple years by not having to do major work on the MINI.

I'm not sure I get this. If your MINI needs major work, you'll carry it around in the back of your pickup truck?

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

No, lol, you only need a pickup if you own a Harley! (and a crane would help).

What I meant was things like tires, brakes, struts, and misc. repairs are a lot cheaper on a Ford Ranger than a MINI---the cost per mile is less.

Since I use my car for work and have to drive a lot, I'm just wearing this MINI out at a fast clip---50K miles in 3 years already.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,004
    edited August 2013
    Yeah... I think I knew what you meant.. ;-)

When you said "major work", I was thinking clutch, cooling system, etc.... that could still pop up, even if you aren't driving it much...

Small pickups get crappy gas mileage, though....

(that blank ICON is a wink, by the way...)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dad23dad23 Posts: 430
    Are you going through Discount? I remember you mentioning Les Schwab, they recently opened one here in Parker, did you happen to shop them? The Pilot has a little over 34K miles on it, Schomp mentioned replacing the tires soon at my last service. I'm just trying to decide if I want to do that or get something new...
    Yeah but fussy MINI requires premium fuel (and good premium fuel at that--I've even had to switch to colder spark plugs), whereas funky Ford PU runs on any old crap.

" I'm just trying to decide if I want to do that or get something new... "
    Well, I vote 'get something new'
    - Ray
    Surprise, surprise ........
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    Yes I am using Discount in Castle Rock. I've not contacted Les Schwab in Parker.

I've got just over 37k on the OEM Duelers. Everyone I've mentioned that to are surprised by that longevity. But it's time - maybe a bit overdue.

I think my problem is I'm looking for a tire that does everything - quiet, good mileage but also handles rain and snow well. I've never done dedicated winter tires, even after 20 years in Colorado.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,465
    Hey there dad23. I also have a 4WD Pilot and recently replaced the OEM Good Year Fortera HT after 31K miles and change with the Michelin Latitude tires that came standard on the Pilot Touring. They were more expensive, but get excellent reviews on Tire Rack for comfort & longevity. Almost 10K into them, I'm really impressed and happy with my purchase.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,465
    On my way home from the Yankees game last night, I was able to have some fun with the roads that got soaked during the rain storm that delayed the game in the 8th inning. I chucked my BMW around some tight turns with the transmission in DS mode. My new Michelin MXM ZP tires held on for dear life. I didn't see the stability control light flash even for a split second. On similar turns with the OEM Continentals, it would flicker a few times during spirited, wet driving.

Not only do they handle better & bite quicker, but they provide a much more compliant ride.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,090
    103k? It's probably due for a timing belt, if you haven't done that, yet. Probably time for something new, before something major goes wrong. How has the A3 been, reliability wise?
    16 for the year, so far. Keep 'em coming, people!

Wow. Even with jolie, ray and myself punching cards in the past 2 weeks, we are only at 16? Sorry breld, but you are going to have to pick up the slack. Again...
    Just got called for a gig at Hertz tomorrow. It's not as good as a road trip but I'll take whatever I can get now. Can't wait till after Labor Day so things will pick up again!

The Sandman

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,294
    Hey, I'm willing. just send me some cash and I will get right on it!

I told my wife this morning that I was mistreated, since I don't have a car. she tried to claim I had 2 (since both kids cars are in my name), but I told her that would never fly. Because if I tried to take the daughter's car back, she would find me floating face down in the pool! And the son will be working (temp job) soon.

Scarily, after labor day when school and his job start, I will be stranded at home every day unless my wife decides to WFH occasionally. I might get the shakes from that.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)