Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,395
    I just have trouble thinking of spending that much money on a 3 MY old car. Just seems like if I am blowing that much coin, I should be getting brand spanking new!

I agree. You'll get 2, maybe 3 years of warranty tops, on something that can cost a lot once you are out of warranty.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,018
    Stick, I'm with you brotha. Between the Yanks not making the playoffs & the Giants playing dreadfully, it is a rough time of year to be a NY Sports fan.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,678
    well, you did mention the one positive. I'll let you guess what that means (but I share something with Fezo).

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

While yes a 2011 will be 3 MY old in 2014, the cars' inservice dates will be only around 2 1/2 years old with between 20 & 30K miles. Worst case scenerio is I'm looking at a car with 30,000 miles which would give me only 1 year of b2b warranty/free maintenance (I'd hit 50K at this point). Then I'd be covered under the CPO warranty for another 2 1/2 years after that (at which point I'd be at 100K). So I'm actually getting more warranty coverage than if I buy the BMW new (2 1/2 years).

Yes, spending between $25K & $30K on a used car is not something I've done in the past & will have to get comfortable with (Roadburner, kyfdx, & breld have gotten some great CPO BMWs). Just remember, a new 335xi had a sticker price of well over. $50K when new.

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 8,272
    J E T S!

Here in Bronco-land, we're all worried that the hype of the offense wii cause them to score only 30 points against the Cowboys on Sunday.

And, will they cover the likely 25-28 point spread against the Jaguars the week after next.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,395
    Just remember, a new 335xi had a sticker price of well over. $50K when new.

Sure, I get that. Which means you get to pay for issues on a $50k car in 2 or 3 years out of pocket. But I'm conservative; I won't take out a car loan over 3 years either.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I bet GM cringes when they see stuff like that. They're trying very hard to shed that image, the CTS' early reviews peg it at the sporty end of that segment, and they love the ATS.

XTS is more traditional Cadillac, though.
    Point taken. I've also got to weigh the fact that I'll be making loan payments on a car with over 100,000 miles at some point. Again, let's use 30K as a mile benchmark.

End of:

Year 1 - 50,000 miles
    Year 2 - 70,000 miles
    Year 3 - 90,000 miles
    Year 4 - 110,000 miles
    Year 5 - 130,000 miles

Now I've still got 2 1/2 years left on the Pilot Loan to pay off. So after that, I'll hopefully be able to pay off whatever car I get next quicker than 5 years.

I don't mind taking out a 5 year loan, since interest rates are so low.

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,345
    Dealer franchises should be threatened with revocation for such stuff.
    Maybe don't provide any -V models to them.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,224
    edited October 2013
    "I don't mind taking out a 5 year loan, since interest rates are so low."

Ditto. If you trade in a paid off car (like I did), you probably won't have negative equity at any point, either. I used to abhor debt, but see little reason to scramble to pay off a modest student loan at around 3% and a car note at 1.99%.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,345
    There has to be a way for GM to take action - if GM really cares at all. I am sure the head beancounter still believes "a sale is a sale".
    Denying the performance vehicles seems fair and prudent.
  • breldbreld Posts: 1,456
    Obviously I'm all for buying these CPO cars. From the cost perspective, I think depreciation is a significant factor. You can spend $25k on a 2-3 year old BMW or a brand new Accord - the depreciation over the next 2-3 years should be less on the used car than the new one, assuming you buy it right.

Now, Hondas hold their value so well that may not be a big difference, but it's certainly something to consider in the purchase decision.

The maintenance cost is another matter - again, a good independent mechanic makes all the difference in the world.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2015 Sedona

Okay, I'm a bit sheepish about this, but if I can't be honest in this forum, where could I? :P

My wife and I hate the Veloster.

Well, hate may be a bit strong, but it's not far from the truth.

It's stylish and has nice features, particularly for a base car. But...

It rides really rough on not-so-perfect roads, the blind spots are pretty bad, some of it's tech features are buggy, and the transmission and engine don't play well together, to the point that it's disconcerting at times. Most of this I should've uncovered during the test drive, but, well, I didn't.

So, yes, we may actually consider a replacement. Fortunately, we got a good price on it - kbb trade (FWIW) is within hundreds of what we bought it for. So, other than a little embarrassment, the financial hit may be minimal.

Candidates? Civic, Mazda3, Jetta, ???? - probably used/CPO unless an amazing deal were to be had on new. Suggestions welcome.

I know it's flaky - be kind. :)

remind me, but wasn't the Hyundai supposed to be for one of the kids to use? If so, let them keep it. You have what, 75 cars? Just drive something else.

OK< now that we got that nonsense out of the way, you probably won't like anything else, but at least supply criteria. Who is going to drive this, and in what type of use?

my feelings off your list is the 3. did not like the Jetta, and the Civic is too cheap. The Mazda has the best shot of making you happy.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,702
    criteria would definitely help. I guess if you bought a Veloster, you weren't terribly concerned with interior space. I worry, however, that your complaint about the ride quality will apply to pretty much any economy car.

I couldn't suggest a current gen Jetta, but maybe a previous gen CPO? Or go with a Golf, which hasn't suffered the cost cutting that the Jetta has. The VW ride and build quality really is above the standard econocar fare.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

I have thought about getting a golf for myself when it is time. always like them, and it really fits my needs (well, what I think they are) perfectly. And if they end up with the 1.8T engine instead of the 5 cyl dog, even better!

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 8,272
    While we're all about the punches here, let me see if I've got the history right.

This is the second car you've bought for your daughter (who doesn't get her license until next spring) that you're going to get rid of - the VW Beetle being the first.

Can you be a member of CCBA and not have a license? Sheesh.

With that said, what criteria do you have for the replacement? 2 doors or 4? Automatic? Size? Budget?

We all stand ready to help you spend your money.

And, I'll be curious if you get close to KBB value on the trade. I'm hearing that more and more dealers are chopping values on the trade to make up for the skinny deals on the new car sale.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Well yes, that Veloster is for my step-daughter, who gets her license in March. So, my wife and I are certainly trying to keep in mind that it's not for our needs. The rough ride is really not a big deal for the short commuting she will be doing, but the blind spots and hesitation issues give me a little concern from a safety perspective (I'm fully aware that stinks of justification, though there is at least some validity to it).

I've generally had good luck getting at or near KBB for trade offers by shopping around enough (and obviously I make sure the price on the purchased car is in line as well). If it was too out of whack I just wouldn't do anything.

So, 2 or 4 doors, but would probably prefer 4. Something compact so it's easier to handle for a young driver. Automatic definitely. Budget of around $16k or so.

I drove a '13 Civic over lunch earlier and thought it was pretty nice. Has anyone driven the '12 versus the '13? I know they made a host of improvements for '13, but there seem to be good deals on slightly used '12's.

My wife keeps on sending me listings like this:

28firefighters old ride

I don't think she saw it is a manual (rare as it is).

I kinda like this one for the price:

'09 Jetta

We had a Jetta of that era - nice car. Low miles. TDI issues back then?

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,454
    A great car for a 16 year old would be a used Honda Insight. Nice and roomy -- great mpg--safe--a bit slow and used ones can be had for 12k. She can always drive on of you better drives from time to time.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 1,034
    I have to say for a 16 year old big, old, and slow. Used Camry or Buick is perfect. Small compact, not such a great idea. Something you don't care if it gets dinged in a high school parking lot by another 16 year old. Now if you want it for yourself too, that's another story.
    Well, an Insight certainly is a good suggestion, but we did have one and didn't care much for it. Good buys on the used market though.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,821
    And we're just the opposite...we hate debt of any kind, period! To give an example...I was myopic until yesterday when I had eye surgery in my left one to get rid of the problem. Still not back to normal but getting better 36 hours out. Was offered 0% financing or putting the charge on the credit card and just decided to charge it and pay it off in a week or two. Decided that I didn't want to write a check for 24 months to pay for it and since we're not making that much on the funds, went with the credit card. Plus we get points that we can convert to dollars and use as statement credit which I did and actually got a nice percentage back. I'm sure others would've jumped at the chance but we hate debt.

The Sandman

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf SE (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,821
    I've driven both the '12 and '13 Civic's and was very underwhelmed with both...not a vehicle I would buy right now. Personally, I think my '06 drives better at 45k than the newer ones I've driven at work. I think the Elantra and Forte are better driving vehicles, heck, even the Jetta blows it out of the water! Got a feeling that the Mazda3 is going to be the best bang for the buck in this class now that the new model is out. I'd say go with the Focus but that tranny is still a bit wonkey and it's been the same in every one I've driven these past few months...Ford really needs to fix this issue once and for all!

I am interested in what y'all come up with as I'll be in the market in either 2016 or 2017 and not sure which way I'm going to go as I'm tired of econoboxes but not sure I want to spend over $20k cash for a vehicle. Part of me wants fun and different but that logical and practical side comes into play also but luckily, I have a few years to decide and newer editions will be on the market by then.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf SE (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,224
    edited October 2013
    Glad your eye surgery went okay. I do agree that a lot of the 0% promotions are not worth messing with.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,454
    Found the perfect vehicle for your family. Toyota FJ Cruiser. Awd is under 30k and MT estimates the retained value after 5 years at 85%.
    Just for variety, try a Subaru Impreza. Totally different than a Veloster for sure. Depending on trim level and deals, could be new, or slightly used.

What year was the redesign, 2012?

• As someone who just flipped a C30, I can tell you they are not great bargains used - they seem to hold their value quite well.

As far as the TDI, I seem to recall hearing about fuel pump issues on 2009/2010 TDIs but I might be wrong.