Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,825

That model is a turbo, so it shouldn't be too slow - but it will be relatively noisy, might be smoky, and after 30 years, definitely has a few quirks. It wouldn't be a smooth transition for the driver of a modern car.

@corvette said: I agree Q's is better, but people go crazy over those old diesels, even though their acceleration is dangerously slow by today's standards and they lack many modern safety features.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 14,638

@nyccarguy said: stickguy‌

How long are you going to make me wait?

calm your jets. took the wife for ice cream (us empty nesters can do whatever we want!) and put garbage at curb, then walked the dog. But I am back.

so, among the stops today was the Sube dealer. as noted earlier, my SIL is actively shopping for a Forrester. Plus, I was looking for me. so made sense. Had a jasmine green limited Forrester on the floor. her color, but wants a premium.

anyway, met a nice sales dude. very friendly. On the floor next to the Forrester was an imprezza and Legacy. wife sat in them all, and as expected (and repeated elsewhere) just found the Legacy size to be better. the compacts were just a little bit tight.

when we arrived and parked, we were next to a nice carbide gray legacy. so the salesguy brought that up to try. So we hop in, and take a spin. This was a premium with the moonroof package. MSRP ~$26.5K Very well equipped really. just missing the fancy eyesight and other nanny stuff. New interior a big improvement. and I like the styling. Very roomy with a huge back seat, and quite comfortable seats.

so off we good. Drives nice. quiet, smooth and even quick. trans was unobtrusive. excellent visibility all around. Just a nice, nice package. impressive MPG ratings for an AWS too. Should be a winner.

yes, more expensive than an imprezza, but vastly more car IMO.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

OK, other stops (not in order, but hey, it is my story!). Ford. Sat in a 2012 Fusion and a 2014. the 12 just seemed old. Probably because it was. could not see myself in one. the 14 was my more stylish, but overall, just didn't speak to us. Not having a back up camera, especially with very limited visibility, was a problem. Plus not quite sure I want to deal with the ecoboost for the kid. Plus, my wife for some reason has a thing about Fords. So that is out.

also stopped at Mazda. sat in a CX5, 3 and 6. Again, she thought the 3 was a bit small. Did like the 6, but they tend to get a bit pricey. Did not drive, but not sure they are going to win. The CX5 is my daughters wish, but I think I will stick with a sedan of some sort. Mazda is also going to be a big of a budget stretch, unless stick with a 3 and don't load it up too much.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

one thing that is still on my mind is conceding that to get new, I might have to give up a moonroof. Hard for me! so used is still a concept. and, still debating used vs. new.

so, last stop (which came first). Toyota. Never did get to stop last week while up in NY, so did it at home. Looked at a Camry on the floor (bright red, odd). Was actually nice inside. also sat in a Corolla, and again seemed too small. So met another nice sales guy (seems to be a theme). walked out on the lot to look at selection. Decided to drive an LE with alloys and power seat (their volume model it seems). No roof, but MSRP just under 25K.

so, off we go. Surprisingly, I liked the way it drove. moved out quick and even steered well. as expected, good ride over the crappy roads we were on. Roomy, and comfy seats. Nice dash, and the touch screen radio was quite well done. We saw it in a dark metallic gray (cosmic) that was quite striking. I think this is a car that looks much better in a dark color. also saw an XLE that had a moonroof and assorted other goodies in that color that was nice. Decided the SE was not as desirable, because to get a roof it came with 18" 45 series tires which seems silly.

went inside and salesdude mentions they are really aggressive on price, and there is a boatload ($2,000) of lease cash too. Or 0% financing for 60 mos. Tough call!

so to wrap this up, after discussing with the wife, decided that for our needs (likely me to drive for the next year, and ultimately consider giving to my daughter to take to college), a mid size sedan would work best. And of the ones, considering all the factors, she actually liked the Camry the best (darned nice stereo interface!), and I was actually be fine with that. Cost no object, and purely for me, I might go Legacy instead.

key to this of course is the huge discounts. and budget. So, I called the salesman back to ask for a buy and lease quote on an LE and a base XLE (about a 2K difference in sticker). After talking about how to proceed, I think I may go with a lease here, if the monthly nut is too good to pass up. That way I can sell the rest of the fleet, and put all the money into paying off the RDX, and going forward with 2 newer cars and no more dealing with issues.

timing not perfect (4 years of college, 3 years of lease) but also possible that princess will get something different when time comes. Or I will. or something. Who knows? But, if I get an offer tomorrow that sounds good, I may shock the hell out of myself by getting a Camry! The XLE idea was a compromise on a lease, to get something with the moonroof and XM, etc. And get new. And if I like it, can always buy it out at the end!

still not a done deal. There is always the option to sell the Volvo, and just keep the old TL. But what fun is that?

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,579
    edited September 2

Camry?

You do realize that you'll go broke drinking coffee and/or Red Bull in order to keep awake behind the wheel, right?

I'd stretch like like I was on a rack during the Spanish Inquisition to get a Mazda6 over a Camry.

But that's just me...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

so RB, how do you really feel?

It surprised me though being nicer than I expected. Plus it will likely serve as the car for my kid to drive back and forth to NC, and use around campus while there. Good for that duty. me? I either drive it up and down the highway, or putt around town. Not like I am taking the TL out to autocross!

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,059

Anybody want a 1979 Cadillac Seville with only 25 miles on it?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

P1130912.JPG 725.4K
    edited September 2

Anybody want a 1979 Cadillac Seville with 25 verified miles on it?

It's filthy, and moldy inside but I suspect that a massive detailing, some steel wool and a few days in the shop to change fluids and mount tires might get it on the road. It has sustained some damage due to moisture I'm sure.

Personally, I'd leave it just the way it is and trailer it to car shows. It'll get more buzz than anything that's been restored. Yep, that's the original dealer sticker on there. Totals $16,000, a tidy sum in those days.

P1130912.JPG 725.4K
    edited September 2

That black stuff is just a thick layer of dust. As I was examining the car, one of the owner's many cats brushed my ankle. I looked over to give it a gentle shove with my foot and looking up at me was a skunk! I just turned the light on him slowly and he ambled off.

This has been a weird day :)

P1130913.JPG 701.4K
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,325

@stickguy said: so to wrap this up, after discussing with the wife, decided that for our needs (likely me to drive for the next year, and ultimately consider giving to my daughter to take to college), a mid size sedan would work best. And of the ones, considering all the factors, she actually liked the Camry the best (darned nice stereo interface!), and I was actually be fine with that. Cost no object, and purely for me, I might go Legacy instead.

key to this of course is the huge discounts. and budget. So, I called the salesman back to ask for a buy and lease quote on an LE and a base XLE (about a 2K difference in sticker). After talking about how to proceed, I think I may go with a lease here, if the monthly nut is too good to pass up. That way I can sell the rest of the fleet, and put all the money into paying off the RDX, and going forward with 2 newer cars and no more dealing with issues.

timing not perfect (4 years of college, 3 years of lease) but also possible that princess will get something different when time comes. Or I will. or something. Who knows? But, if I get an offer tomorrow that sounds good, I may shock the hell out of myself by getting a Camry! The XLE idea was a compromise on a lease, to get something with the moonroof and XM, etc. And get new. And if I like it, can always buy it out at the end!

still not a done deal. There is always the option to sell the Volvo, and just keep the old TL. But what fun is that?

edited September 2

Another car parked behind it...it's a stick shift, of all things. And a US model, too. Nothing here that $75,000 wouldn't fix.

P1130899.JPG 683.6K
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,325
    edited September 2

@jayrider said:

I'd go check comps on an Accord --- telling the Toyota guy you are looking at them may get you a bit of extra help.

should have gone to the Honda dealer today too. They were giving out free hotdogs.

Possibly could expand options if I go back to leasing. I do like the Accord quite a bit. But it will be more expensive.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,579

@stickguy said: so RB, how do you really feel?

It surprised me though being nicer than I expected. Plus it will likely serve as the car for my kid to drive back and forth to NC, and use around campus while there. Good for that duty. me? I either drive it up and down the highway, or putt around town. Not like I am taking the TL out to autocross!

I agree 100% with how fellow Kentuckian David E. Davis Jr. inscribed my original copy of Turn Your Hymnals to 2002: "NO BORING CARS!" Everything in my garage has to put a smile on my face when I slide behind the wheel- although I have to admit that the 328i is nothing to get excited about, but then it is my wife's sled(come to think of it, I don't think she is all that attached to it either).

I'd take my 1975 2002 or 1999 Wrangler in a heartbeat over the most expensive Camry. Every time.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,663

@stickguy

Nice write up on the Legacy. I'll drive one in the next few days and post my findings. Where'd you do all your test driving? By you in NJ or by your parents' place in Rockland?